Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I found it sort of buzzy and not barky.

This is a good description for something I haven't been able to put into such succinct terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the chalk color porsche has is rad

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Posted that I wanted to buy some stock wheels and got a local guy calling me with a 10 minute lecture on how his used set is perhaps the best pair I can find in the continental United States. :stare:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Posted that I wanted to buy some stock wheels and got a local guy calling me with a 10 minute lecture on how his used set is perhaps the best pair I can find in the continental United States. :stare:

And this is why people like us hate "Porsche people".

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Residency Evil posted:

Now I want to know about the set that the guy in Hawaii has.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

And this is why people like us hate "Porsche people".

FWIW, I'd say only 30% of "Porsche people" approach the level of autistic crazy that this guy seemed to project over the phone.

MrLogan posted:

Now I want to know about the set that the guy in Hawaii has.

Listen these are almost brand new wheels: they've only had a tire mounted on them once. 18" wheels, all of them are going to have some amount of curb rash because of the tires, these have none. And most places don't have the right equipment to mount tires right on these, I take 'em to the only place that does it right.

Edit: for anyone curious, it's just a set of the MY02 style wheels that came stock on 996 Carreras (I think).

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 21, 2020

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

Listen these are almost brand new wheels: they've only had a tire mounted on them once. 18" wheels, all of them are going to have some amount of curb rash because of the tires, these have none. And most places don't have the right equipment to mount tires right on these, I take 'em to the only place that does it right.

Edit: for anyone curious, it's just a set of the MY02 style wheels that came stock on 996 Carreras (I think).

"Just"?! :monocle:

Obviously you don't know what you have nor appreciate it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dave Inc. posted:

"Just"?! :monocle:

Obviously you don't know what you have nor appreciate it.

I "will regret" not buying these wheels.

:ohdear:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I regret not buying those wheels and I don't even have a 911. YET!!!! I need to find one that has never had wheels mounted on it cause it scratches the lug nuts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Elephanthead posted:

I regret not buying those wheels and I don't even have a 911. YET!!!! I need to find one that has never had wheels mounted on it cause it scratches the lug nuts.

You don't understand, he used teflon washers on the conical lug bolt bearing surfaces, so the original coat under the lugs is pristine.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My tire guy has put about 50 pairs of tires on a variety of my cars and never rashed the wheels doing it, a single time?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

My tire guy has put about 50 pairs of tires on a variety of my cars and never rashed the wheels doing it, a single time?

HE HAS THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT OKAY

(seriously - some older machines weren't great but if you took the slightest bit of care and put some duct tape on the shoe they won't scratch anything)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Our 2017 macan is almost at 110k and has been pretty flawless

Two weeks later...

Residency Evil posted:

Wife: "Hey, the Macan says there's an Engine Control Fault but that it's ok to drive."

Hopefully she just forgot to put the gas cap on.

:negative:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I just found the timing to be comedic, so to say.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Two weeks later...

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I just found the timing to be comedic, so to say.

I'll be an rear end in a top hat and call out myself. Not two weeks after I posted that ours has been an anvil, it popped a TPMS fault code....:ughh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Two weeks later...

Hah, yeah, I ended up scrolling up to find how long it was between those two posts too. :v:

Unfortunately it’s intermittent, and doesn’t seem to show up on my odb2 scanner, especially if I restart the car when it’s warm. That makes me worried it’s going to be expensive to fix. :ohdear:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

Hah, yeah, I ended up scrolling up to find how long it was between those two posts too. :v:

Unfortunately it’s intermittent, and doesn’t seem to show up on my odb2 scanner, especially if I restart the car when it’s warm. That makes me worried it’s going to be expensive to fix. :ohdear:

Your scanner doesn't show intermittent faults? Those should be recorded in history I thought.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dave Inc. posted:

Your scanner doesn't show intermittent faults? Those should be recorded in history I thought.

I guess I can try to leave it connected, but nothing is showing up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I guess I can try to leave it connected, but nothing is showing up.

Do you have anything more than a basic obd2? (Carly, vagcom)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Do you have anything more than a basic obd2? (Carly, vagcom)

I have a BlueDriver obd dongle and I also have a durametric, but haven’t gotten that out yet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I have a BlueDriver obd dongle and I also have a durametric, but haven’t gotten that out yet.

The software here is what matters if they aren't standard codes. If you're using torque or whatever iPhone use the codes might not be readable. (The reader might as well, I couldn't get Carly to work on my z4 without their brand name dongle.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

The software here is what matters if they aren't standard codes. If you're using torque or whatever iPhone use the codes might not be readable. (The reader might as well, I couldn't get Carly to work on my z4 without their brand name dongle.)

Durametric is the correct thing for this - it's hardware and software. It's way better than vagcom/vcds for diagnostics - unless you're really into the dark arts of vcds.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Durametric is the correct thing for this - it's hardware and software. It's way better than vagcom/vcds for diagnostics - unless you're really into the dark arts of vcds.

Gotcha. I am not up to speed on VW diagnostics.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

There's one small problem with Durametric and the Macans, the 2017+ models aren't supported yet...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

There's one small problem with Durametric and the Macans, the 2017+ models aren't supported yet...

Oh that sucks. Didn't realize that was a thing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah neither did I until I tried to read the codes on my TPMS system. It can reset service reminders just fine but any sub systems which deviate from the 2015-2016 MY versions are unreadable and the email I got back from Durametric asking for a timeline was not encouraging.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah, I’ve used durametric to connect to the macan before but...

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah neither did I until I tried to read the codes on my TPMS system. It can reset service reminders just fine but any sub systems which deviate from the 2015-2016 MY versions are unreadable and the email I got back from Durametric asking for a timeline was not encouraging.

Oh that makes sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

HE HAS THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT OKAY

(seriously - some older machines weren't great but if you took the slightest bit of care and put some duct tape on the shoe they won't scratch anything)

Also, it's not 2001 anymore, >17" wheels are on loving everything instead of just exotics.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't think anything smaller than 17" even fits over my 981 brakes.

I'm still a fuckin' weirdo trying to find positive offset steelies to put winter tires on, but 5x130 just has to go custom.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Replaced the driver's side HVAC servo in my 993 and now I have warm air coming out of the driver's side! And I only swore a few times! :toot: Too bad the roads in the Northeast will be salted for months.

Dealer is closed today/tomorrow so I can't figure out what's wrong with the Macan. :negative:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Hmm, 17 year old car with 110k miles for 37k, what can possibly go wrong?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/chicago-2003-porsche-turbo-x50-gt2/7248549066.html

e: closest BAT comp - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-32/

e2: and carvana will apparently give me 28k for my 2011 m3, lol.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 29, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Interestingly zero interior or underhood/frunk pics. Might be nothing....

The ad was written by someone that seems to grasp English and not a scam, so I'd check it out if I were nearby, for sure. That could be a very good deal on a 996TT.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
If you're remotely serious I'd jump on that because an X50 will always hold a premium and that's already pretty reasonable for a nice 996tt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

Hmm, 17 year old car with 110k miles for 37k, what can possibly go wrong?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/chicago-2003-porsche-turbo-x50-gt2/7248549066.html

e: closest BAT comp - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-32/

e2: and carvana will apparently give me 28k for my 2011 m3, lol.

The mileage is high (for a 911 Turbo), but you probably won't lose much at that price. I'd see if he'd take 35k to pin the coolant lines and not struggle too much if he says no.

I really wish I had room for that Green over Tan 996 Turbo I looked at a few months back.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Update on the TPMS fault on the Macan. The TPMS module sits in the rear drivers wheel well. The wiring to it from the body harness does not reside in a protective loom. Due to this, three of the wires about 5 cm from the module connector have worn through due to abrasion on something. Not sure what though. A new connector pigtail has been spliced in and is fully loomed all the way to the connector now. This is 100% penny pinching on Porsche's part for not protecting that portion of the harness. Especially given where it lives. I will be going through the engine bay and wheel wells this summer hunting for other future trouble spots because this should not be happening.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

The mileage is high (for a 911 Turbo), but you probably won't lose much at that price. I'd see if he'd take 35k to pin the coolant lines and not struggle too much if he says no.

I really wish I had room for that Green over Tan 996 Turbo I looked at a few months back.
Sold already.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
So most of the time I'm unable to control my Bluetooth audio via the PCM in my 2018 Macan. The volume knob works but trying to skip tracks / play / pause using the infotainment display doesn't work and even the diamond button on the steering wheel doesn't work (set to skip track). It did work a few times but I'm not sure what made it work those few times. Thought it was cause I was using Google maps navigation (since I've been using it often recently) but it also happens when not using navigation.

Other than that, a lack of storage, and the rear camera being kind of not great, I'm loving the car.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Pretty sure it's a recent Android 11 bug. It definitely happens if I Ok Google to play something in spotify, all media controls get hosed until I manually play something else. It's the phone, not PCM.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My friend who likes to buy amazing sportscars and then sell them to me with 15k miles on them for half price got his GT4 delivered through California's emissions nonsense on the 12th. He's almost ready to go for a spiwited drive, only 1400 more miles of 3k revs before he sells it to me in 5 years :twentyfour:

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Ranzear posted:

Pretty sure it's a recent Android 11 bug. It definitely happens if I Ok Google to play something in spotify, all media controls get hosed until I manually play something else. It's the phone, not PCM.

Ugh. I forgot the google commands are also funky. Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

Update on the TPMS fault on the Macan. The TPMS module sits in the rear drivers wheel well. The wiring to it from the body harness does not reside in a protective loom. Due to this, three of the wires about 5 cm from the module connector have worn through due to abrasion on something. Not sure what though. A new connector pigtail has been spliced in and is fully loomed all the way to the connector now. This is 100% penny pinching on Porsche's part for not protecting that portion of the harness. Especially given where it lives. I will be going through the engine bay and wheel wells this summer hunting for other future trouble spots because this should not be happening.

Hey can you do me a favor and post a pic of this?

I'll let my friend know who just bought a Macan and if it's exposed on theirs too I'll let them know to proactively address it.