Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Ambivalent posted:

the GBA color saturation feels bad and looks bad on a monitor, and the music is messed up because my head knows what it should sound like but it doesn't,

Fortunately, there are actually patches for both of these

i guess. i had the same confusion at everyone telling me how HORRIBLE BAD AWFUL gba Tales of Phantasia was, I still enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

cool :shobon:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

"Hi I'm the Taint Reaper and I can't possibly communicate like a human being and live in my own world where if the subject matter isn't me me me then I just ignore everyone and keep posting whatever comes to mind"

gay skull fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some of the math errors in original FF6 were fun though, you could get 99 illuminas using the invisibility/sketch bug.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Some of the math errors in original FF6 were fun though, you could get 99 illuminas using the invisibility/sketch bug.

also Blind didn't work so everyone could wear cool shades, guilt free. like you thought "oh no my attack accuracy will be reduced!" but nope, it's just cool shades. thanks octopus monsters in the waterfall for the free shades

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Excels posted:

I never noticed or cared about any problems FFVI had on GBA, it's still mad fun. if the Woolsey script triggers your autism or something I dunno what to tell you.

The Woolsey-isms are in both versions, though!

Excels posted:

i guess. i had the same confusion at everyone telling me how HORRIBLE BAD AWFUL gba Tales of Phantasia was, I still enjoyed it.

Everyone just saw the RAGNAROK = KANGAROO translation and flipped their poo poo. The only problem with ToP translation is that it's milquetoast, but that personally makes it fit in my mind since if the original game was translated when it came out it would probably read like that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, i forget if it was that magic block literally did nothing and just used your regular block % or the other way around, but it made a ton of weapons and shields ridiculously overpowered. I love final fantasy broken math, and it is probably why I played so much FF8

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

wait, duck hunt has an ending? i thought it just went on and on forever, until ducks escaped and dog laughed at you.
It's called a Kill Screen. You reach the fabled Level 0.

I took pictures, the ducks become untouchable and break up in the air and the dog chain laughs at you.

There's more levels than the ammount of points you can score, so your score gets reset many times if you're going for the kill screen.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 3, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Bicyclops posted:

Also, i forget if it was that magic block literally did nothing and just used your regular block % or the other way around, but it made a ton of weapons and shields ridiculously overpowered. I love final fantasy broken math, and it is probably why I played so much FF8

same. ff8 gets a lot of heat and no matter how often it is explained to me i never follow exactly why, it was a pretty great game especially if your favorite part of rpgs are the numbers

gay skull posted:

also Blind didn't work so everyone could wear cool shades, guilt free. like you thought "oh no my attack accuracy will be reduced!" but nope, it's just cool shades. thanks octopus monsters in the waterfall for the free shades

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just want to point out how great Ted Woolsey was as a translator given how insane his job was. Good work, Ted, and may flights of angels sing you to your Rest: Perform Rest Attack.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ff6 version differences: the many states of siren's undress

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have the Japanese version of 6 just so I can see all the pixel tits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want to be the guy who was in charge of localization, whose jobs included hiring a sprite artist to draw shorts on siren's butt, and to pay Woolsey whatever they paid him, which was probably very little.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

ff6 version differences: the many states of siren's undress

Siren is in FF6? Aren't you thinking of FF5?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Siren is in FF6? Aren't you thinking of FF5?

She's one of the first 4 Espers you get :confused:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Everyone just saw the RAGNAROK = KANGAROO translation and flipped their poo poo. The only problem with ToP translation is that it's milquetoast, but that personally makes it fit in my mind since if the original game was translated when it came out it would probably read like that.
holy poo poo i forgot about the great war of kangaroo that was fantastic

also:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just want to point out how great Ted Woolsey was as a translator given how insane his job was. Good work, Ted, and may flights of angels sing you to your Rest: Perform Rest Attack.

He did all of Chrono Trigger in like 36 hours or something ridiculous.

Also, last I checked he was like the department chair in charge of X-Box Live Arcade stuff at Microsoft, but that was awhile ago.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

fart fart fart nobody will ever read this because these posts are disposable hahahhahahahahahaha im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay

gay skull fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like his translation of Azala dying better than the real one actually, where she just says "The future. We... have no future." i don't remember what the real one was.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

He did all of Chrono Trigger in like 36 hours or something ridiculous.

Also, last I checked he was like the department chair in charge of X-Box Live Arcade stuff at Microsoft, but that was awhile ago.
Seriously it's ridiculous what he was able to pull off. That battle messages are even occasionally coherent is impressive given that all he had was a text dump.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

holy poo poo i forgot about the great war of kangaroo that was fantastic

also:

dejap made a bunch of that translation up because they figured nobody would ever notice or bother to check

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
loving hell I beat the Original TMNT game for the NES.

on my second try

my hands hurt, the ending was awful.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

dejap made a bunch of that translation up because they figured nobody would ever notice or bother to check
I'm glad of it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what possible reason could anyone have for playing the original TMNT? like, are you going to play color-a-dinosaur next?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
everything Kefka says is better in woolseys world

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

what possible reason could anyone have for playing the original TMNT? like, are you going to play color-a-dinosaur next?

I started altering my Universal gamecases so they could fit NES games.

And I realized that I never really did beat these games....so i beat them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Woolsey, don't translate so fast! You might make a mistake. It's okay to wait.

Woolsey: Wait, he says. Do I look like a waiter?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG are the only JRPGs that are good and could be recommended.

The only good final fantasies are 3(6) and 9. The rest are garbage.

All other JRPGs may be fun to play if you're cool with JRPGs otherwise they're garbage

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Also blanket statement of JRPGs are bad is fine too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Uh, Lunar: Dragon Song, dumbass.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hubris.height posted:

everything Kefka says is better in woolseys world

my new literal retranslation will finally prove ted woolsey was a baka gaijin*

*translator's note: idiot

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG are the only JRPGs that are good and could be recommended.

The only good final fantasies are 3(6) and 9. The rest are garbage.

All other JRPGs may be fun to play if you're cool with JRPGs otherwise they're garbage

9 is good but slow as poo poo to the point where it's really bad unless you're dying of cancer and are on a morphine drip so you're high the entire time and don't mind the horrible pacing of the entire game

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

gay skull posted:

9 is good but slow as poo poo to the point where it's really bad unless you're dying of cancer and are on a morphine drip so you're high the entire time and don't mind the horrible pacing of the entire game

That's fair but even then it's still better than all the other final fantasies besides 3(6)

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

you faggots are old and playing old games for geriatrics

final fantasy IX come on grow the gently caress up we all know you guys loved that poo poo as kids but you're old and prob past college now and there are way better games, get the sticks out of your asses and play something new

gay skull fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 10, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can just say 6

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The the job system in 5 is cool and there are lots of neat tricks if you know what you are doing. The plot is basic and bare-bones though.

Also this 3DS system transfer has been going for like 3 hours and the Pikmin haven't filled the box under 75% yet. And I have to download all my games again after this? What the gently caress have you done here Nintendo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

my new literal retranslation will finally prove ted woolsey was a baka gaijin*

*translator's note: idiot
That's a good keikaku.

*keikaku means plan

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a good keikaku.

*keikaku means plan

oooOOOOOOooooh look at the big tough guy trying to make fun of the weeaboos with the old meme! hahahahahahaha tell me more about "keikaku" meaning plan like it's the year 2010 again

gay skull fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 10, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I never got far enough into 7 to experience that, but I did encounter the much more affecting death of Alys Brangwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I can name a lot more you're forgetting, like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the first two Suikoden games??

gay skull posted:

maybe you're slow. mentally

slow pacing is not a bad thing, because every second of that game is perfect

• Locked thread