Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
oxo good grips will save your non-stick from destruction. 100% worth the extra cost just because of how nice they are to hold and use. I have a £40 oxo good grips grater and in 30 years time I'm still going to be going "yeh this was worth it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

learnincurve posted:

oxo good grips will save your non-stick from destruction. 100% worth the extra cost just because of how nice they are to hold and use. I have a £40 oxo good grips grater and in 30 years time I'm still going to be going "yeh this was worth it"
Googling "oxo good grips" bring up a wide variety of poo poo, little of which seems pertinent. Could you link what you mean?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don’t like oxo so much because the soft touch can sometimes break down and get gross after a few years, but in general any nylon, silicone, or most wooden tools are safe to use on nonstick. Don’t use metal tools because they’ll wear the surface even if they don’t leave visible scratches. I love the gir silicone ladle even though i have a steel inner pot because it’s flexible enough to get into the corners.

e: https://www.gir.co/products/ladle/?variant=28891956772928

not sure if they ship to your country but if not, you can probably find something comparable. The spatula and flip are also really nice.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I meant what hypnophant is talking about. Oxo good grips have two kinds of silicone on them, a harder fireproof bottom section and a soft handle that will melt if you lean it against your frying pan.

There is nothing on earth like the perfect silicone spatula if you use non-stick, I have an ancient egg flipper that's metal coated in silicone that I could get very dull about.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Just don't use metal utensils on nonstick. Even if your nonstick pots and pans say "safe for use with metal utensils". (They aren't).

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I meant what hypnophant is talking about. Oxo good grips have two kinds of silicone on them, a harder fireproof bottom section and a soft handle that will melt if you lean it against your frying pan.

There is nothing on earth like the perfect silicone spatula if you use non-stick, I have an ancient egg flipper that's metal coated in silicone that I could get very dull about.

Most of the oxo good grips stuff is nylon and butyl rubber, not silicone. Nylon isn't as heat resistant or flexible as silicone but it's cheaper. The butyl rubber is the stuff that goes all gooey. Silicone will not melt against a frying pan unless it's cast iron and you're about to sear a steak - if your nonstick is hot enough to melt silicone, it's hot enough to burn off the nonstick coating.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Oxo has a nice painless warranty process too. Slightly off topic for this thread, but I have one of their hand cranked cheese graters I use for parm/romano, and after like 11 years one of the tabs holding the "knob" on the end of the handle broke. The grater still worked fine, but the knob would occasionally fall off in your hand mid-grate. One email with some pics, and they sent me a brand new one, and never asked for the old one back. So now I have a brand new grater in perfect shape, and a slightly frustrating backup grater I could probably fix with a zip tie or something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

marshalljim posted:

Just don't use metal utensils on nonstick. Even if your nonstick pots and pans say "safe for use with metal utensils". (They aren't).
I haven't really used any metal utensils. I did use the little stand that came with the pressure cooker and a steamer basket to steam eggs a lot, so I guess that's the issue - water steaming in the cooker over and over.

Edit - ah! Sponges. That might be it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 3, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d like to start bringing lunch in to work so I can eat a little healthier. I have to go light on fat and salt these days, sadly. Anyone have any favorite simple and quick instant pot recipes that have lots of healthy veggies? Ideally I’m looking for one pot dump and go recipes.

I’ve been making hodgepodge “chili” by throwing in whatever vegetables I have with some ground turkey and beans, etc, and that’s been fine but a little hit or miss since I’m winging it every time.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

This Thai green curry is one of my favorites, you can leave out the chicken if you want, but it's pretty quick and easy.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

marshalljim posted:

My partner is highly vigilant about not using metal utensils during cooking, and only cleaning with softer sponges, and just generally looking after the non stick frying pans we have.

Then stacks them all in a pile so they scrape each other.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Cactus posted:

Thanks I’ll do that. I need to get a smaller pot for inside the actual pot for everything. Meat burns. Rice burns. Anything with a hint of tomato burns. It will successfully boil a non-tomato liquid and that’s about it.

If it would just get to pressure it would deglaze itself with the delicious juices. But it gets hot enough to scorch, then turns off, then turns on and scorches again, etc.

I don’t think an instant pot is for me!
This was from a while ago, but... Are you trying to use like zero liquid? I don't think I've ever had this problem with my instant pot.

If you don't want to add any liquid for whatever reason maybe start it in saute mode on low to get more liquid out before you start pressure cooking? But usually when you're pressure cooking you want to cook stuff in liquid anyway.

Xander77 posted:

Sauter PC133

Any idea what caused this? Is it dangerous to cook with now? And would buying a new bowl made from some other material help?
A stainless steel pot like instant pots have is better imo. You really don't need a pressure cooker to be nonstick.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just received an instant pot from my sister and I'm intimidated by it. :sigh:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't be intimidating, they're really easy to use

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

For nearly all recipes you're either sauteéing something or setting it to high pressure, and then when it's done you either do a quick release or you let it cool down a while.

It's got enough sensors to tell you if it's not locked right or whatever and it won't let itself get dangerous. It might have a ton of settings and modes but it all comes down to doing one of those things.

You can handle it and it's going to be great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only time I've ever really had a problem was when the gasket wasn't quite on right. Even then all it did was hiss while trying to get up to pressure, letting out a lot of steam.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Internet Explorer posted:

The only time I've ever really had a problem was when the gasket wasn't quite on right. Even then all it did was hiss while trying to get up to pressure, letting out a lot of steam.

Same but also raw chicken and pork direct on stainless steel never goes well.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah the only times I've had trouble is when I didn't notice crud had browned to the bottom of the pot which kept it from coming up to pressure. Or a super thick tomato sauce. I have the stainless steel pot and so long as I make sure to deglaze the bottom if I've been sauteeing, I do fine.

Though my two favorite things to do with it are cooking dry beans and steaming eggs, which are both fool proof.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've pretty much never had problems with stuff burning while pressure cooking

You just have to have enough liquid and expect that you might have to remove some or reduce it after pressure cooking if needed.

If that doesn't work for what you're cooking then maybe you don't want to be pressure cooking it. Pressure cooking isn't for everything, but it's fast enough that it's not a big deal to start in the pressure cooker and then reduce the liquid if necessary.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
you just need to remember to raise it off the base if it might stick, you can pick up super cheap metal trivets which we use for making butter chicken with. Chicken raised with the lumpy sauce under it, pressure-cook and remove chicken, blend the sauce and add the chicken and your butter and cream back in then reduce without pressure.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

learnincurve posted:

you just need to remember to raise it off the base if it might stick, you can pick up super cheap metal trivets which we use for making butter chicken with. Chicken raised with the lumpy sauce under it, pressure-cook and remove chicken, blend the sauce and add the chicken and your butter and cream back in then reduce without pressure.

I do this recipe without the trivet, you can just layer the chicken directly on top of the canned tomato. I’ve never had the burn warning.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I always just make sure there's some liquid under the meat so the surface of the meat isn't adhered directly to the bottom. Using trivets and stuff seems way more complicated than necessary.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
A trivet is really simple. Though I used it upside down for several years instead of using it as a basket with handles.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah the only times I've had trouble is when I didn't notice crud had browned to the bottom of the pot which kept it from coming up to pressure. Or a super thick tomato sauce. I have the stainless steel pot and so long as I make sure to deglaze the bottom if I've been sauteeing, I do fine.

I’ve had burn warning trouble with lots of tomato based dishes. Now when I make chili I’ll plop the tomato paste on top. If it gets to pressure without a burn warning then it’s usually safe from there.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think there are models that are just more sensitive to burn warnings that others. Mine is super sensitive which is a PITA but usually OK if you can keep tomatoes, the criminal fruit, from touching the bottom - just layer it. It's always tomatoes.

If you do get a BRN you can usually scrape the bottom of the pot but it's a lot of "let's blend the soup in a regular blender!" backing and forthing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

angerbeet posted:

If you do get a BRN you can usually scrape the bottom of the pot but it's a lot of "let's blend the soup in a regular blender!" backing and forthing.

I‘be been able to successfully open it up and give the bottom a scrape without removing anything, just getting down there with a spatula. On a couple occasions that’s been enough to be able to get to pressure, then I’m safe.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

mystes posted:

A stainless steel pot like instant pots have is better imo. You really don't need a pressure cooker to be nonstick.
Bought a replacement. Apparently the 6 liter version is like a centimeter or two taller than the bowl it's replacing.

Edit - Because "Sauter" is apparently an Israel only brand name, and it's known as Amazon basics or whatever everywhere else. And everywhere else actually states that the bowl capacity is 5.5 liters. Which is just in that magic spot where apparently you can't buy a replacement without a whole rear end other cooker?

With a bit of pressure (no pun intended) and a lot manual exertion, the pressure cooker can actually close and start gaining pressure (turned it off before it actually did anything).

Is anything going to explode if I try cooking with it? Should I just go ahead and ask for a replacement?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 27, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i would not risk it, especially with an aliexpress product. get a replacement from the manufacturer or get a new cooker

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Do not gently caress around with pressure cookers. They are literally used to make homemade bombs. Heed the thread title. Do not end up like grandma.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

mystes posted:

This was from a while ago, but... Are you trying to use like zero liquid? I don't think I've ever had this problem with my instant pot.

Nope! I always add at least two cups of liquid. Usually 4+. From the discussion, it sounds like tomatoes are the culprit. I love tomatoes though, so I probably won’t use the instant pot much anymore.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just use a trivet or a basket to lift the tomatoes off the bottom, you can still anything stainless steel in s pressure cooker - I use a steamer basket for a lot of stuff, especially stock with bones because you can just lift most of the carcass out.

It would still have burnt in a regular pressure cooker just with no warning and a horrible clean up job.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Just use a trivet or a basket to lift the tomatoes off the bottom, you can still anything stainless steel in s pressure cooker - I use a steamer basket for a lot of stuff, especially stock with bones because you can just lift most of the carcass out.

It would still have burnt in a regular pressure cooker just with no warning and a horrible clean up job.

Thanks, I’ll try a steamer basket for the tomatoes next time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I use a steamer basket for a lot of stuff, especially stock with bones because you can just lift most of the carcass out.

drat that's a great idea, thanks

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

hypnophant posted:

The nonstick coating is coming off, either because metal tools scraped it off or because it overheated and burned off. It’s not dangerous but it’s gross since the coating will keep flaking off into your food.
Is there a way to remove all the nonstick coating entirely? Vinegar or something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to remove all the nonstick coating entirely? Vinegar or something?

I’d probably just buy a new one at that point tbh

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Sauter PC133

Any idea what caused this? Is it dangerous to cook with now? And would buying a new bowl made from some other material help?

Did that go through the dishwasher? Certain non stick coatings can’t survive that.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

No. Live with it or replace it. It’s a pressure vessel; anything that could remove the teflon could weaken the aluminum enough to cause it to fail under pressure (read: become a bomb). Plus I doubt there’s anything food-safe that can remove teflon, it’s pretty tough chemically. Vinegar will definitely not touch it, and stronger acids would eat the aluminum first. Which is bad, because again: bomb.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did that go through the dishwasher? Certain non stick coatings can’t survive that.

I’ve never actually seen a dishwasher damage a nonstick coating, though they can definitely mess up bare aluminum. Supposedly it can be a problem if you use a dishwasher detergent with abrasive media in it but I don’t know if that’s common these days.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 10, 2022

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Nope. Either occasionally cleaning it with a sponge or using it as a steamer, nothing else I can think of.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
according to my apple news feed walmart are selling instant pots for $50 on black friday deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m trying to make some bone broth for my dog and the recipe says to simmer for 9 hours. What would the insta pot equivalent be?

It specifically says not to boil it but that shouldn’t be a problem in the insta pot right?