Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Arkhamina posted:

My two cents, but it not the best slow cooker. Can scorch things that sit flush to the bottom. You can use a rack if there is enough liquid, to move things off the bottom.

Do the newer instant pots with more settings solve this problem? I get the same thing, and also have to do sautés in a separate skillet because the sauté settings on my IP duo are basically scorch, extra scorch and mega scorch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If it helps I got the 5.7L "DUO 60", and it has sat unopened for.. two years.

So sayteth amazon:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Clark Nova posted:

Do the newer instant pots with more settings solve this problem? I get the same thing, and also have to do sautés in a separate skillet because the sauté settings on my IP duo are basically scorch, extra scorch and mega scorch

I can't remember where I learned this, but I put the liner directly on the stove burners if I want to actually brown anything without burning it.

It feels really stupid because there's no handles, but its entirely metal just be careful when transferring it off the burner and into the IP. I don't transfer it when its super hot, but I never get it hotter than what the saute button would do on its own.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it helps I got the 5.7L "DUO 60", and it has sat unopened for.. two years.

So sayteth amazon:

Just hit the slow cook button, hitting it again cycles low medium and high and plus or minus turns the time down. There is a keep warm function to keep it ticking over. I have the bigger version of that and the difference between the IP and a slow cooker is that there is no delay function so if you are out all day you would want it on low and 8 hours.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I cooked something in the instant pot in a mason jar making sure the lid was finger tight, but that sucker was jammed on there super tight after the cooking time.

Is there a certified safe way of popping the mason jar lids open once they're done? Prying that thing open with a knife felt like I was dancing with a hand injury, surely there must be a better way to do this?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I just use a bottle opener. Bends the lid a bit, but they are one shots, anyhow.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

At your own risk but I might think that you want a tighter lid at the start so the cooker can’t force high pressure air into it, since that’s what causes screws to tighten (by design). Though if what you’re cooking needs the high pressure in the jar then no use.

Can you find jars that have flip lids rather than screw on? Or a valve?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
It sounds like you quasi-canned it and the jar sealed. They make a special opener (Pry-a-Lid is the nice vintage one), but a bottle opener or whatever works great if you're not reusing the lid.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I don't know about the safety of canning in the Instant Pot, but as somebody who does a bit of pickling on the side, my preferred way to open a mason jar is to take the edge of a butter knife, find where the screw top thread meets the lid, then slide the spine of the knife in there and lever the lid right off. Hopefully I'm describing it okay, but it's pretty safe that way.

Other canning tips: you actually don't want to screw the ring on too tightly because it needs to be able to let the air inside escape from under the lid, and lids used for canning should not be reused for the same purpose since the used rubbery material might not be able to achieve a proper seal again (rings are okay to reuse)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
https://twitter.com/kens5/status/1668664567742750721?s=46&t=kI_3QR-CaCDlR8D71im9kg

I guess the company that makes the Instant Pot went bankrupt. It seems like they should have been printing money.

Anyway that also is Pyrex and Corningware.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm sure the investment firm got theirs

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah, this is another "growth at all costs" tragedy. So you get wacky stuff like an InstantPot air purifier and of course the company tanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just make one thing but make it exceptionally well.

Can’t have that though lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1668631268073050115?s=46&t=rZSKUeck7nSOXV1R21vtWw

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

uggggggggh

The buy->leverage->bankrupt->golden parachute cycle is one of the most depressing features of modern life. And they can keep doing it because it pays off for themselves and their private investors.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

That this is even legal is amazing.

More money. For me. And your money for me too.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Why would banks continue to lend to a company controlled by PE?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grim Up North posted:

Why would banks continue to lend to a company controlled by PE?

Was it a bank loan, or were bonds issued? WSJ is paywalled for me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
In less depressing news, I finally made the Two Sleevers Butter Chicken recipe and drat that was good, it will definitely being going into the rotation alongside the Serious Eats Chicken Chile Verde

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

In less depressing news, I finally made the Two Sleevers Butter Chicken recipe and drat that was good, it will definitely being going into the rotation alongside the Serious Eats Chicken Chile Verde

I love that recipe. I freeze half of the sauce and use it for a second dinner a few weeks later with paneer and rice. I actually did just that last night, and finished the leftovers for lunch today.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My instant pot has been coming in clutch this summer for quickly preparing corn on the cob. Way faster than the stovetop and doesn't heat up the kitchen with a big pot of boiling water

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
What settings/timing do you use? Not corn season yet here, but it's coming up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Super simple, just put in a cup of water, put down the metal trivet, throw in your corn (I usually do four ears stacked crosswise), then manual cook on high for two minutes. I've seen times ranging from 1-3 minutes, but in any case, I don't think the amount of corn should alter the cook time.

With so little mass in the pot, it comes up to pressure and even naturally releases pretty quickly. From pressing the button to eating the corn, it's maybe less than 15 minutes

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Shuck before, or just au naturel? Although I always have to partially shuck at least, as my corn is organic, and pretty much always has bonus protein. Long ago worked in a corn pest lab, so corn borers don't bother me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I just microwave my corn to steam it. Shuck, put them on a plate, lay a damp paper towel over them, microwave. I do 6 minutes for 2 ears, I think my mom does 9 minutes for 6 ears in a casserole dish, but it depends on your microwave strength. Couldn’t be easier

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
But grilled corn is so good! I can’t bring myself to microwave or IP it.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Just ordered an instant pot. Are there any decent resources for (preferably easy) vegetarian recipes?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

zhar posted:

Just ordered an instant pot. Are there any decent resources for (preferably easy) vegetarian recipes?

https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe

I don't go as far as him when making it, because I cbfed, but even half assing the recipe makes for good risotto.

Just keep the ratios of wet to dry stuff the same and you are good

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Does anyone else find the sauté function on an instant pot to be absurdly (read: accurately) hot? A lot of recipes say sauté when they really mean "cook in oil on medium heat".

What is your workaround for things like onions and aromatics? I just set it to steam, but even that's often too hot.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The InstantPot's insert works fine on my stovetop. Maybe try that? Or if you can't do that, just know that you'll want to remove it from heat (set it on a trivet or something) regularly to bring the temp back down.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FaradayCage posted:

Does anyone else find the sauté function on an instant pot to be absurdly (read: accurately) hot? A lot of recipes say sauté when they really mean "cook in oil on medium heat".

What is your workaround for things like onions and aromatics? I just set it to steam, but even that's often too hot.

Yeah, the first couple of times I utterly burned the things I was trying to saute.

I ended up making sure to continuously stir the food until it seems ready, then taking the liner out to stop the cooking. Then add the rest of the ingredients and proceed as planned.

It adds unnecessary pressure (:haw:) to what really shouldn't be a difficult process.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Once I learned that I could use the liner no problem on my stove top I only ever used the sautee function if I'm trying to reduce juices.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Due to interest, I decided to check the manual.

"Press Sauté again to cycle through the Less, Normal and More temperature options"

Who came up with that choice instead of Temp +/- button?...

Hopefully by typing this out I'll remember next time to see if "less" works for me. Or has someone already tried that?

E: That's for the Duo. I have the Duo Crip + Air Fryer which only has Lo and Hi options, but same button press to get them. Check your specific manual.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 7, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

even the lowest saute setting is pretty hot, in my experience, but usually usable (while medium and high are hot enough to mess up some stuff)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Gonna cook a ribeye in my instantpot

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The ninja foodie is pretty good with saute temps.

I don't usually like stupid appliances but that thing is loving amazing. I use the oven maybe once every month or two now.

My wings are unofficially better than the local pubs.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Pressure cooker steam, even when standing like 7 feet away gives me a weird gross chill sweird

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I like to waft some into my face to get an idea of how badly I hosed the food up.

Unrelated, saag in the pressure cooker is really easy and ridiculously good. Throw in frozen spinich, the rest of the ingredients (except yogurt) and a quarter cup of water, pressure cook for 10 minutes, stir in the yogurt and its done.

Put in paneer for normal saag paneer or chicken/ham/whatever if you're a heathen.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 14, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Outrail posted:

The ninja foodie is pretty good with saute temps.

Which one do you have? OP 2-lids, OP 1-lid, or the OL?

A 1 year warranty seems lovely for a complicated electronic appliance tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I got the two lids. I love the stupid thing.

It's lasted pretty good so far, lots of moving parts so I'm not hopeful