Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

big mean giraffe posted:

Canned peas are grey-green mushy satan droppings.

Canned mushy peas are pretty awesome though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Brits invented a sandwich that is literally butter, white bread, and french fries. I don't think they can claim any sort of moral high ground just on that front.

That said, getting all :byodood: over butter is incredibly silly.

Chip butties are magical and I won't hear a bad word about them. :colbert:

To be honest though, I didn't know that putting butter in a sandwich was a British thing until I moved to the US. I still love a sandwich that's just buttered bread, shredded chicken (still hot from the oven) and a tiny sprinkle of salt.

You should have seen the confusion when I mentioned a "cheese salad sandwich" though. I meant this:

My friends thought I meant cheese mashed up with mayo. It was an awkward conversation until we figured out why the gently caress we were all so weirded out by each other's culinary habits.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Senior Scarybagels posted:

How are your guys's bloomin onions?

Venomous, probably.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

Shiokara sounds gross, but shirako sounds worse- SPERM! http://www.thekitchn.com/the-strangest-food-i-ever-ate-2-91992

Shirako is gross but mostly just utterly underwhelming in my unfortunate experience. I just remember it being really pasty and flavorless.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's a grilled cheese sandwich

Where the bread.....

Is also cheese.

W-would.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

You tell me:

Gishwhes. It's a batshit insane scavenger hunt held once a year; one of the items at some point was to make an outfit entirely out of cheese and pose next to a classic car.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

These fast food trip reports are the best thing. :allears:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

I appreciate this.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

tribbledirigible posted:

The Frog's Eye [s}Horror[/s]Salad reminded me of this dessert variant of soft/silken tofu:

Taho (with tapioca pearls and caramelized brown sugar). It's good, especially chilled or warm, but it just never looks quite right.

It looks vile, but I would eat all of that without hesitation.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hey I don't know if this is the right thread for this but someone else needs to see this.

Right, who's near Boulder and brave crazy enough to do a trip report for the thread?

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

'Sup, fellow bizarre shoes-on-table family superstition haver :tinfoil::hf::tinfoil:

I don't know where it comes from, but I know it goes deep.

Try eating curry out of a toilet bowl while sitting on a toilet bowl instead:

I wanna go to this restaurant so bad. I bet it's overpriced and underwhelming, but I just have to see the gimmick for myself.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

coronatae posted:

The lady who makes these videos says they're marketed as children's toys, to teach them how to follow directions and get a chance to pretend they're cooking. But hot drat I would pay some good cash to get my hands on the candy sushi kit.

I bought the sushi one for my friend's birthday because she loves watching those videos. Apparently they taste loving awful but hey, if you want one that bad PM me and we can work it out. There are a ton of Japanese grocery stores around me.

I'd do a trip report, but there's no way I could put in as much effort as she does into making them look "real".

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Laserjet 4P posted:

You cannot unsee the cheesy tongues.

according to source: Pepperoni wrapped cheese stick, dipped in marinara sauce, stuffed in a jalapeņo, wrapped in more pepperoni, wrapped in phyllo dough and deep fried. Then, dressed like a pepperoni pizza.

Taking bets for how long until Pizza Hut puts these around the edge of their crust.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Semisponge posted:

What uh..are those

Looks like a handful of Hula Hoops nestled in a buttered flour tortilla and sprinkled with ketchup.

Mmmmmm.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Fo3 posted:

There was this sauce called b3. Called that because it was made from Bhut jolokia chillies, with banana and berries. No idea if it's still around, there's a facebook page though.
It was made by a small time chilli grower in the USA called red hawk peppers.
That was amazing on ice cream.

Looks good, I might have to try this.

http://www.redhawkpeppers.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

What if you made the baked cookie dough into cookies

Yes congratulations you found the joke.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Mymla posted:

Why is it grey? Why is the bottom covered in tar?

Definitely squid ink, which has been delicious the times I've eaten it.

Actually I've got a pack of Japanese squid ink pasta sauce, I should photograph it for the thread when I make it.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Go ahead and take a nibble.

Seriously though, if that was photoshopped on top of a bowl of ice cream or something I would absolutely think it belonged there.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Yesterday was payday, and I spotted these in the store. They'd been sitting there for well over a month untouched and I figured gently caress it, let's see how bad they really are.

The sweet corn one might not be a complete failure, I thought. Corn is sweet and so is soda, so maybe the flavors would work?

It smelled like canned corn, overwhelmingly sweet and like a sickly reminder of having to choke down overcooked, gummy loose corn at family dinners. The flavor was actually worse, like the entire thing had been pureed with an entire cup of sugar.

Weirdly enough, the bacon one wasn't as bad as it could have been. Maybe my standards have been lowered by all the lovely fake bacon flavoring that's out there. It was like weirdly sweet soda with a strange, smokey aftertaste; not delicious in any sense of the word, but it didn't taste like carbonated bacon bits.

I poured both down the sink.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

cash crab posted:

Who the gently caress came up with this? Disgusting. Thanks for taking one for the team.

The second I saw them I thought of this thread. You're welcome, I guess? :(

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I tried the buffalo wing flavor of these once. It tasted like onions, spit, and hate.

God I can only imagine. Was it the same brand? Lester's got to step up his loving soda game, at least Jones makes palatable flavors too.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Have tried the bacon, it's super sweet and smokey and beyond horrible. Not sure what maniacs are keeping this company alive other than single sale novelty purchasers.

I think it's just novelty purchases at this point. I can't imagine why anyone would buy these except out of morbid curiosity or as a prank gift.

RandomPauI posted:

It's like someone decided to try making a DIY KFC bowl but never actually saw one in person.

Lucky them.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

PubicMice posted:

Famous bowls are actually pretty decent, but way overpriced. Patton Oswalt is a hack, and people need to shut up about it.

Oh for sure, there's nothing wrong with any of the ingredients. It's just that the pictures of the KFC ones look genuinely awful. Throw one together yourself and it's probably good eats.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

My familiarity with them extends only to the couple of times I wen't into the Portland store to get some Moxie, which is sort of hard to find on the west coast if you don't have a BevMo around.

Yep, that's where I got mine. We also sell Faygo at a huge markup, though I hardly ever see anyone buy it.

The longer I looked at this, the more my brow furrowed. This is just displeasing.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

I feel so sorry for people with bad knife game. Get one good chef knife instead of a block of 20 lovely ones and you're set. poo poo, you can get a ceramic knife from Harbor Freight for like $10 that will cut through almost anything in the kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGXylS-HFgg

God I love this video so much, this guy just delights me.

I want to buy one of his ceramic knives on principle. :allears:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

titties posted:

There's a much longer one that somehow becomes increasingly surreal to me

LOOK AT THAT BREEF
*slices pork*

Crust First posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

I have to watch it every drat time someone links it.

THANK YOU. This makes me so happy, this guy's enthusiasm is contagious.

Megabound posted:

Pretty much that. Whenever I head to a friends place to cook there's a very good chance that when I ask for a knife to prep with they'll hand me a blunt steak knife and be done with it. My father's a chef, so for me it's common to have access to any size or shape knife I need, and a steel to hone with. But to most of my friends cooking is a chore and they seem to make every effort to make it as chore like as possible.

Ughhhh that is the worst. I'm not a professional chef by any means but I learned how to cook through trial and error and having a couple of good, sharp knives makes things so much easier. Whenever a friend asks me to cook at their place it always makes me nervous because I have no idea what kind of state they keep their knives in, or whether they have more than like, one small pot and a non-stick frying pan.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

cash crab posted:

I want a children's cooking show now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToTVFEHZhX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoxDOMaW_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3pjP79-sJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHnNlpwhRBk

Episode 3's still my favorite. Misha said the pasta with jam sauce is the worst thing he's ever eaten. :allears:

Sleeveless posted:

It's worth clicking the link to that thread to see everything they made, the literal blood ice cream is pretty inspired.

I loved that thread, the creativity is amazing.

Otana has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Jan 20, 2016

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Misha Collins is the fuckin' best and single-handedly makes up for the entire Supernatural fandom.

Thread relevant: Him wearing a suit made out of cheese.

Pretty much. I work with him and he's pretty much just an awesome dude, a lot more chill in real life than his stage persona but still very, very weird.

I gave him kale soda once, as a dare. He did not like it.

EorayMel posted:

Anyway, CONTENT!

Not gonna lie, a bunch of this made me really nostalgic for lovely English food. I miss fat, soggy chips with sarnies. :(

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

I found this at the store yesterday (sorry for the blurry picture).

It's called "Seems Spicy Not Spicy A Bit Spicy Chili Oil".

My roommate was mad when I came home without it, she wanted to solve the mystery of just how [not] spicy it really is.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Scathach posted:

I admit I'm a little upset too, now I want to know :(

Welp, looks like I'm going back anyway so I'll grab some and let you guys know.

cash crab posted:

Yeah, I think candy Prince Rupert drops are a better name. Sorry.

Pretty much this.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

I've read that pizza is one of the few legit good things you can get in Pyongyang, because there's one brick-oven pizzeria where all the stuff has been brought from Europe.

Not gonna lie, the Pyongyang pizza videos I've seen make it look really, really good.

bringmyfishback posted:

oh god why is this so funny

I am dying

and really jealous of that kid's hair

My favorite part is when you can see the camera shaking because his wife's laughing so hard. Also the slow pan over the destruction.

Scathach posted:

As for the derail,

(would)

Oh gently caress, would so hard.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Like a transparent Pokeball.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

I am legitimately angry at this video.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

The way he aggressively maintains eye contact while eating and going "MMMMMMMMMM" is just really uncomfortable.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

diabeetz posted:

I'm sure a tower of deep fried lobster would be bomb but holy poo poo can it be ugly.

Is that lobster pad thai? Because holy poo poo would.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

I love this series, it creeps me out in the best way.

Cordyceps creeps me out in the way that makes me do a shivery little freakout dance every time I think about it.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

"Salt and pepper to taste"

But I don't want to taste it. At all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

I love looking at international McDonald's offerings. LOVE IT. Some of the poo poo just sounds so good. I have to really talk myself out of going there when I'm on vacation because I don't want to be an American stereotype.

DO IT. When I was in Japan there was a McD's very close to my room and I tried a few things there. It's been almost 14 years and I still remember the teriyaki burger.

• Locked thread