Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know if nuisance anti-piracy methods count, but Earthbound erasing your save at the final boss fight if your copy isn't legit is definitely a hell of a troll move.

Another edge case I've been seeing more lately is where devs include items that cost a poo poo ton of in-game money (or worse, real money) which you figure will give some sort of benefit, but are purely cosmetic. Don't know if that's trolling or lovely game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drone_Fragger posted:

"New release of episodic content every 6 months", Gaben newell, 10 years and 1 releases later.

Did anyone believe that? I know Newell is the king of wishful thinking when it comes to deadlines, but even he had to know that was bullshit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you beat the Sega CD version of Earthworm Jim on easy mode, you don't even get a real ending.

This is better than the real ending.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

As funny as these things can be, the false positives are a danger with all of them so I'm not sure they're ea good idea. I remember someone on SA posting about a problem they were getting with serious sam 3 where their view would lock in some weird direction on the second level, which was actually a separate pirate troll from the pink scorpion. They got probated and people made fun of them because it looked like they pirated it, then they linked to their list of owned games on steam and they really did own the game legitimately.

Sure, but you get that with any anti-piracy system. The funny ones don't get done often because, at least if you're up-front about "this game uses this anti-piracy measure" and it trips accidentally, people know what to blame. If you put in a secret troll method to make the game poo poo, people just may think the game is poo poo.

Wasn't there a game that totally botched their jokey anti-piracy code and got terrible reviews because of it? I know a lot of people tear apart games just because they have some awful, explicit system but I could swear there was a game that got bad reviews for a hidden one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Does the Bardock level of Xenoverse count? Because I swear to god it's loving awful. I beat some kind of demon god earlier in the game but defending this stupid, random Saiyan is impossible and it clearly doesn't matter AT loving ALL because he's meant to die anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

malal posted:

I dunno, it struck me as a dick move on the part of the devs, hence my post. Did I miss the definition of "troll?"

Well I mean, trolling usually involves a swerve of some kind. The swerve of Internet trolling, for instance, is that the dude doesn't care at all about what he's saying, he just wants to watch a thread melt down. The dude promising to kill you and then actually doing it after a while doesn't qualify imo.

That's a good segment of the game, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oxyclean posted:

I think the "swerve" might be interpreted as a defiance of expectations. Most games will just have the NPC repeat the line every time, never making good on the threat. At least, it strikes me as similar as letting a player say "no" to saving the world and giving them a game over because it's well established that you have to say yes and the game wont let you do anything else.

Fair enough, guess I just saw it as a game finally making good on the seriousness of a choice.

Anyway, a conversation about dickish adventure games isn't complete without King's Quest, the game where you have to tell the character to swim when you enter water. That's one of those cases where I don't know if it was just an odd design choice, but the first game also lets you pull a rock and crush yourself if you don't move it from the correct side.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oxyclean posted:

I thought I heard there's no save point between Rayquaza and Deoxys? For those unfamiliar, legendary pokemon can be VERY annoying to capture, at least, I've certainly had times where I've burned through 100 ultra balls to try to capture a legendary that had a sliver of health and is a sleep, only for it to wake up, be out of moves, which causes it to use struggle and KO itself.

Not having a save between them isn't so much a troll as it would be a dick move - although I suppose you could consider it a troll for people who reset if the legendary doesn't have the right nature (a stat randomized when you first capture, with no the way to change it other then to save scum and capture again and again )

I think I used drat near every ball I had in my inventory catching Mewtwo in X. Finally, the instant catch chance proc'd on a Premiere Ball. Kinda wish they made Master Balls more available to the player; I get that part of what makes legendaries so cool is that they take so much effort to catch, but restricting you to just one Master Ball every game while they add more and more legendaries to each one is kinda bullshit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thingyman posted:

I don't understand all of this blitz ball difficulty. Did everyone fail the mini game on the ship that gives you the jecht shot? The strategy to win that first game is just: give tidus the ball -> use jecht shot -> repeat

This helps a lot, but Blitzball can still be a middle finger from the RNG even with that capability. I never bothered with the minigame besides when I had to because it's a poo poo game with a shittier AI.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I got extremely sick in seventh grade and beat all of Blitzball to earn Wakka's ultimate weapon. It's very relaxing when you're ill.

Understandable, I beat all of Oblivion while recovering from getting my tonsils and adenoids removed.

All of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Doesn't every Metroidvania have an enemy like that with a rare drop? I think Circle of the Moon had the Skeleton athlete and Order of Ecclesia had Bigfoot.

Well, Metroid games don't have "drops", really. Instead they have the occasional obtuse hidden upgrade puzzle.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shwqa posted:

The updated version of final fantasy tactics for the psp and iOS adds a bunch of content to the game. All of that content is udder bullshit.

They added a unique item. The only way to get it is to keep two completely generic female knight that offer to join your army at the start of chapter 2. But to put it in context at the start of chapter 2, two unique characters and about 5 generic characters offer to join your army. You get absolutely no warning that these two characters do anything special. And then to get the item have to be at a certain location on at certain day (one character's birthday). Again with no hints to why you would were do this.

Then they added two new classes, the onion knight and the black knight. However if you spend most of the game grinding to the point where everything in the game was joke, you still won't be 1/4 the way to unlocking the black knight. The onion knight is easy to unlock but is utter poo poo until that character has mastered about half the classes in the game. I would be surprised if any one character in your army has mastered two classes by the time you completely beat the game. In other words you need to spend hundreds of hours of grinding to make these classes usable/useful. And by that time you have do that, there literally nothing to use those characters on. Also the only way to get their equipment is through multiplayer, which was not included in the iOS version.

Also for funnies, they made most of the classes harder to unlock compared to the English play station 1 release. Basically they upped the level requires for all the jobs by 1. And for context getting to level 4 on a class takes more experience than getting to level 2 and 3 combined. And again level 5 takes more experience than level 2, 3, and 4 combined. So now you have to grind longer in what was already a grindy game!

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure those generic knights are also the characters you have in your party during the prologue mission. So there's an indication, but it's not great.

The rest of that is hilariously bad though. I remember using gameshark cheats just to speed up job progression to be more tolerable, and that was in the original.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pingcode posted:

...yeah, Douglas Adams really hated people. If he could have packed anthrax into every box he probably would have.

Smallpox towel feelies.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, word has it that the head of Konami is pushing hard for Japan to become more gambling-centric, where the serious electronics money is.

They aren't wrong, from a profit margin perspective.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I would pay good money for footage of an event like this every six months or so featuring other games nostalgia-goggled nerds won't shut the gently caress up about

"It's been twenty-one years..."

*Earthbound logo appears*

This, but for Firefly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MindlessHavok posted:

okay but can you use the Konami code on them?

If you want they should take you out back, yeah.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Your Computer posted:

It was still perfectly playable, which is more than you can say about Bethesda's games :shrug:

As busted as Bethesda games are, they are also pretty playable. Sure, you can get locked out of some content, but fortunately they have more content than most players will see anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alouicious posted:

the real problem with generation 1 pokemon was that psychic-type was completely broken

Yeah that was obviously completely hosed even when I was a child, and that's not a bug as much as it is some really awful balancing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

There was a bug involved though where ghosts were completely ineffective against psychics despite the game itself saying otherwise.

You would never notice anyway because there are a total of three ghost type moves.

There were also only four bug type moves, which leave a lot to be desired and are learned almost exclusively by poison types.

gently caress psychic pokemon in gen 1.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

haveblue posted:

It didn't help that the rules for achievements were fuzzy at first and only clarified later. There are a couple of games that have "be #1" achievements (Chromehounds had one of those for every role you can be ranked in) and at least one game that shipped with less than 1000 gamerscore (Condemned) because that wasn't a requirement at the time.

Chromehounds was so underpopulated those achievements were perfectly reasonable though.

:(

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nostradingus posted:

Here's a troll, Mario Kart 8 has five baby characters instead of, you know, anything worthwhile.

Pyf trolls from game dorks

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Really not getting this one. Nerd rage is people getting mad about stupid poo poo. being unhappy about a poor purchase is completely reasonable.

Buying early access and getting mad when the game is never finished is like yelling at a gas station clerk when you buy a losing scratch-off.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shwqa posted:

But the clerk isn't the ceo of the lottery company.

You're right, early access is much stupider.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sleeveless posted:

Actually, it isn't.

Consider that the only people reading comments are actually steam mods.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Buy early access is like buying something in the hopes it will become better but sometimes it doesn't and you get sad and/or angry about it.

it is a complicated metaphor

I don't follow.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

That or Prima paid for a subtle ad.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RNG posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, FFIX had one troll that completely stumped me when I first played it. There was a minigame where you were given a portrait of a location and a little hint, and you'd have to find that location on the world map and dig up treasure. The final treasure had a picture of the open ocean and "keep looking..." as a hint.

That wasn't the final treasure, but I can understand why you'd think it was.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Agents are GO! posted:

Something I'd like to know: why are patches to fix minor issues so comparatively huge these days? Do developers just not care to figure out what needs to be replaced and just replace all the files or what?

Most of the bugs that games get shipped with were found already, but the fixes would take a long time to implement because even in less complex software, bugfixing is like The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Mess with one bit of data and anything that refers to it can gently caress up spectacularly. So you actually have to update a lot of code even though one bit was causing everything. Hell, sometimes these sort of bugs just get left forever because the alternative is just way, way too much work and the bug isn't that bad anyway.

They also probably aren't just fixing a single bug and might be updating assets, too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't think he was implying it was bad

I don't think so either but calling it a "bad dub" is pretty disingenuous when clearly no one gave a poo poo what was really being said.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't think it's illegitimate to criticize a developer for filling their game with so many effects it taxes the hell out of a lot of computers. No one's saying Witcher 3 is bad because of it, just that it creates frustration if you aren't using a system with ideal specifications.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
No mere slider can represent the level of care that goes into crafting an MGS rear end.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Regalingualius posted:

In the most recent patch for WoW, they introduced Timewalking: you and your group get your levels and gear scaled down, and get to run iconic dungeons from past expansions. What makes this a troll by the devs?

They're only available one week a month (used to be one weekend), and only for one expansion at a time. And... Let's face it, some of the old ones suck compared to more modern dungeons, even if most of them are piss-easy because of how player characters have scaled up in power at all levels with every expansion.

The other troll? There's two mounts that can only be bought with a currency you only get from Timewalking. They each cost 5,000 tokens.

You typically only get 15-25 tokens per run. :shepface: (Minus a one-time 500 you get from your first, but still...)

MMOs, the greatest troll of all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sleeveless posted:

This is one thing I'm looking forward to in Fallout 4, they've done away with skill points entirely and are instead using a perk system so you don't need to worry about min/maxing or the FPS/RPG problem of the shooting being unfun unless you sink a bunch of points into shooting skills.

If there's one thing I hated about the old Fallout system was having to put at least a respectable amount of points into intelligence in order for my skills to rise at a rate I was happy with. I'd always end up spending the last few levels putting points into poo poo I don't care about and cursing how wasteful my SPECIAL allocation had become, but god drat it I'm not going to run through level after level spending everything on lockpick and computers just to get the most out of the areas I'm going through.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I normally hate roguelikes and other games designed around punishing difficulty. Isaac appeals to me more because it's usually a pretty ala carte affair, as opposed to games like Dark Souls that will just grind you down for the entire game. There's a lot of tricks to learn that make it less a game of chance and more about figuring out how to make the most out of what you're given, and even bad runs can unlock things to improve your future chances.

I mean sure, you'll have runs where you just can't get enough resources or you get chewed up by a nasty boss before you can get a solid item, but you probably won't be sinking much time into those runs anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Roro posted:

Can't decide if I hate that more than the pregnancy games, the abused victim/survivor of an accident games or the pregnant abused victim/survivor of an accident games.
And it's always the loving princesses, what's up with that?

I have no idea what's going on with that poo poo, you'd think that Disney of all companies would be able to put a stop to it.

Maybe it's some tongue-in-cheek protest against Disney? I dunno, if they really are getting the sites traffic, I can't imagine it's from actual young girls. It seems to be more attractive to people streaming or LPing weird flash games.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Non Serviam posted:

I just started playing the game, so I could be wrong (plus a friend said it i relevant in multiplayer, which isn't yet available on PC) but in Metal Gear Solid V, you have to create an avatar. I spent a bit of time making a cool looking one and then nope! gently caress you!

Oh buddy, you've got a while before the troll

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Maybe Bethesda's secretly been developing the F-35's software.

Nuebot posted:

Can you still rename NPCs?

You absolutely can. Actually I'm not positive, but I can't see why they'd disable that.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've never played Paper Mario. Everyone goes on about Paper Mario, but lets get a proper Super Mario RPG sequel going,eh?

Maybe you should play Paper Mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I believe Oblivion gave Redguards(black people) a higher Athletic skill as well. Letting the player run faster and jump higher.

This comes up a lot in RPGs since pen-and-paper games do it all the time. Of course, not many of those have a race that's just "black people", but things still get uncomfortable.

• Locked thread