Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you beat the Sega CD version of Earthworm Jim on easy mode, you don't even get a real ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thingyman posted:

That's a cool thing to think about (and the interpretation works), but in reality the cutscenes are different because when Kojima was shown an early build of the remake by the team, it had shot-for-shot remakes of the MGS1 cutscenes, and he told the director of Twin Snakes to feel free to add his own personality to the cutscenes.

So what you're saying is that the director of Twin Snakes was Raiden!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Breaking away from metroid prime and its scanning for a moment, I'm going to throw in Oblivion's poisoned apples. They were weird items you could use to kill NPCs all stealthy-like. What it did was, upon being eaten, they'd give the character a super strong and permanent poison effect. There was nothing to stop you from eating this, and you could find them pretty early on in the game.

I don't know if that really counts as a troll as they're clearly labeled "Poisoned Apple".

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

pfs Write posted:

this is sort of a derail but i just got the idea if anor londo was named based on the phrase/description "honor land" filtered through the Japanese romaji (foreign words spelled out phonetically in their set of phonemes) It would basically come out as "ano lando" in katakana. just a theory but it makes some sense. ive always loved the name. or even a truncated "another land"

That's a thought, but a quick google shows that it's "Anooru Rondo".

many johnnys posted:

except instead of wizarddemons it's an unfinished enemy that they decided to put in the game anyway

Demonic Statues aren't unfinished, they obey the same rules as a player using Chameleon.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Nov 3, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

I think he means the big dragon butts and legs in the lava area.

If he means the dragon butts, then he legitimately believes the developers designed every enemy starting with the rearmost point.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

many johnnys posted:

Every enemy? No, just the dino butt.

He only appears in the two places - pasted all over the place in eye-bleed Izalith (where they rampage around at stupid range, and if you hide in a building they kill each other with their own attacks) and in the Painted World. The latter, as discussed, is an inanimate obstacle that for some reason "resets" when you hit it with a jump attack and reverts to its default standing animation. It's still unkillable and programmed not to attack, but when you reset its stance you can pass under it without solving the rest of the stage. It's glitchy and unfinished and stands in contrast to pretty much every other enemy in the game.

The dragon butts are working as intended, good sir. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's not a joke.

That's literally the back half of a zombie dragon. The front halves are found elsewhere in the game.

The one in Painted World is literally found behind its front half.

Regalingualius posted:

The question now is why are there enemies that are just the asses of dragons? From a development standpoint, not "because they're zombies."

Maybe they came up with the design for the undead front halves first?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Can we ban dark souls chat from pyf?

It was a pretty notable video game and this is a video game thread. Deal with it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Soul Reaver posted:

It's essentially the same thing in Morrowind as well.

Wrong. Morrowind has the saving grace of letting you grind your miscellaneous skills after receiving the "hey you can level up now" message to maximize stat gains.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Duke of Flies posted:

I'm a huge hateful cynic with a tar-black heart and worry that having a kid is going to ruin his games from here on out. It def made his wife crazier; her tumblr just got increasingly weird and racist the more pregnant she got.

Their store is probably closed forever due to it too, since she hates her mom now and Mom was the one who made the figurines and stuff. I got one of Duke, Isaac, ??? and Judas before things went sour. Wanted to complete the set someday, but cest la vie!

The dev troll is family sucking.

Yeah man breeders are the real trolls.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

E.V.O.: Search for Eden is a game where you start as a fish, biting other fish to death and eating their meat to gain Evo Points, which are the currency for upgrading your body. Meat is also one of the main sources of healing in the game, so, needless to say, you're conditioned right off the bat to murder and eat everything you come across.

The second chapter has you playing as an amphibian, and after you beat its first boss, an elderly amphibian thanks you, then leaves. There's a small window where you can attack him, so naturally you'd want to see if you can kill him. When you eat his meat, it gives you a small amount of Evo Points. It also heals you for a very large negative amount of HP, killing you instantly.

Don't eat your friends, kids.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

Only if you're a robe-person. The shouty one.

The Graybeards aren't in Fallout 4.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fumaofthelake posted:

The Nintendo dress up game is Style Savvy for DS and it's great. The 3DS one is more feature rich but I never got into it as much.

You buy clothes wholesale and sell them in your store for a gigantic markup. If you pick clothes the customer really likes then they twirl around and might ask you to build them a whole outfit. Ultimately you can get invited to increasingly prestigious fashion shows.

What's the troll here?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Technically it's Creation Engine, which is a modification of Gamebryo by Bethsoft.

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a modification of NetImmerse by Bethsoft.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I do not understand why people go out of their way to defend this. Saying oh it doesn't waste that much of your time doesn't mean it wasn't something that was intentionally put in the game to do nothing else than waste your time. It's not a case of inadvertently bad design making you backtrack more than you should or whatever. It's the developer saying "we are going to make you stop playing and run on a hamster wheel while literally nothing happens, because gently caress you."

All told it's an incredibly small part of the game, but it's appallingly disrespectful to the player to do things like this and then they pull poo poo like that again in other places in the game. The hamster wheel dumbassery tends to get the most attention because it's early in the game and it's not optional. There's unintentional bad design and then there's "gently caress you, player! gently caress you for some reason!" and everything posted about super paper mario in this thread is the latter. Whether it wastes two hours of your time or five minutes doesn't change the principle.

Did you seriously just sit there instead of using a rubber band and a pencil to hold the d-pad in place while you did anything else for fifteen minutes?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Highlights, please?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I think those billboards look really well designed. The super hermanos one is awesome!

A few feel really, really lazy, like Strong Bad and The Nether Portal.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Dec 22, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I don't see either on that little picture. Are there more than just that?

There's a whole laundry list of 'em behind that Kotaku link.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's okay, man. They're still a bunch of crackers.

What's Christmas got to do with it?

Overminty posted:

Been playing tales of vesperia on and off for a while now and just...

Judith's spear :argh:

What's a Judith's spear and what's got you so mad about it?

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jan 18, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Remember when ff13 came out and everyone complained about how linear the first 30+ hours are and how they basically one long tutorial through a hallway? And then the guy behind it was like "Americans are used to choice in their rpgs and they don't have patience for a tightly structured story and character driven game experience" despite the fact that a random npc in an elder scrolls tavern has more personality and intriguing background than anyone or thing in that entire game

If you're talking about Morrowind and it's endlessly cloned dialog responses I'm gonna slap you silly.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jan 19, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

I believe Oblivion gave Redguards(black people) a higher Athletic skill as well. Letting the player run faster and jump higher.

Nope, just run faster. Acrobatics lets you jump higher, but Redguards don't naturally have that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ah, so because the problem didn't show up for you, personally, then that means it's not a problem at all and everyone else are witty bitty babies. Is that what you are saying, Nuebot?

Well, you're cranky enough, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I just stick with good old Castle of the Winds for my roguelike fix. "Real" roguelikes tend to be way too complicated :shobon:

Dungeons of Dredmor is my personal roguelike-for-babies.

• Locked thread