Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK guys, I'm in the Echoing Library for the first time. It is my understanding that I should check the statues.

I'm gonna check the poo poo out of this statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

theshim posted:

Oh god, and you would have Immunize...

It's probably doable, albeit murderously stupid :v:

Speaking of which, I finally got my 3ds back from friends - should I try the postgame with 5 Runemasters, or start another moronic run? :unsmigghh:

Both in that order.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

Just unlocked subclassing in my new EO4 run, what's the best subclass for a damage focused Sniper? And what's the best placeholder subclass for a Runemaster till I unlock Bushi?

Sub the Runemaster as a medic for backup healing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So what's the general strategy for Cradle Guardian? Arm binds and hitting him with whatever he feels like being weak to that day? Also is there much of a pattern because I swear I set up my bitchin charge edge/freeze drive combo and then LOL NOPE I'M ELECTRIC NOW.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So Narmer.

I don't seem to be doing much damage to this guy. Am I gonna need elemental damage or do I just need more levels? Party is B/H/P, N/M. Everyone's level 11.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ah. My first EO was 4 so I figured I could get by with a party of whoever (minus farmers obvs).

Welp, good thing I have a combat study zodiac on the bench.

In vaguely related tidbits holy poo poo this boss theme is soooooooo good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

I imagine you wait until you get to Scylla, rest and gain the five levels by her exploit.

What is this exploit, for when I get to that point?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Trained up a Zodiac and Narmer went down easily. :toot:

I noticed head binding him made spells do more damage. Is that a TEC lowering thing?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Geop posted:

Never played a Mystery Dungeon game before :staredog: So basically you reset to level 1 every time you re-enter, like Azure Dreams (old PS1 game) and the like?

Those sorts of games tend to be more miss-than-hit for me, but the reviews seem pretty encouraging!

If it's like the pokemon ones this'll only apply to certain dungeons.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Is there a list online with how to get all the conditional drops for each game, or do I have to look it up on a wiki? I'd prefer a simple list for convenience's sake.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cool, thanks! Is it worth giving my zodiac some points in each elemental spell for stuff like this, or am I better off having elemental forged weapons?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The stuff with Murotsumi on B8F made me sad :(

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

In the absence of an EMD European release date, and with EOU finished, I decided to start an EO3 challenge this time. Just beat Narmer.

Stabbed him in the face, spammed Second Wind. Long, but easy.

save me

How much grinding did that require? Also what's your planned subclass?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I think left behind members that aren't in a fort either get the same amount of exp or slightly less than what a 4 man party would gain, and putting them in a fort would give them a bit more than that. Solo runs would have a bigger net gain in exp. Although you're better off using classes like the Wanderer for that instead of something like a Hexer.

Ah, are you going the Tagen Battou strat, or are you gonna refrain from cheese tactics?

With a single party member I'd imagine some degree of cheesing becomes necessary eventually.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cephas posted:

I just finished mapping out the first floor of Millenium Girl. This is my first Etrian Odyssey game. Any valuable tips for someone new to this series? Or should I go in blind?

Classic or story? Also, as a general tip, bosses are susceptible to ailments so use them!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Don't fight FOEs the first time you see them unless you're very overlevelled, playing on Picnic, or know the one weird trick for beating them that Dungeon Masters hate.

TBF on EOU normal mode story they're easy enough so far (I'm at BF6).

I also just now realised that bloodlust can trigger off losing HP to your own skills. What's the activation rate at high levels because I think I love this skill.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

EOU seems relatively easy so far. I just killed golem and Ant Queen and only Golem so far has been challenging. I'm kinda wishing I could bump the difficulty up mid playthrough (doing story on normal.) I'll probably do the harder difficulty for classic mode, maybe do a SCC or something. Are any classes a really bad choice for SCC in Eou?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Landsknecht or Survivalist.

They will never be strong again.

Landies were good in EO4 at least.

E: also if the way to bump up the difficulty is there I'm not seeing it. On the main menu it's greyed out.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat the latter before postgame because it was my first EO and I didn't know it was a postgame super boss.

It was an ordeal lemme tell ya.

Golem though is definitely not a postgame boss. You can totally beat him at least by the 5th stratum.

I beat it with the story mode party at level 34 for what it's worth.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So can I get rare gathering items without high gathering skills? Also are there any chests with high level chop/take grimoires?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sweet, I was worried the games might get the SMT4 treatment: A longass wait for a digital only release.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Aw cool, EMD six months after everyone else!

And hey, EOU2 has just been announced in... 2016??????

...I-I-I... oh whatever, I don't care anymore. At least we're getting it. I guess.

Well, hopefully EO3, EO4, EOU and EMD can last me till then.

Also whoever set EOU's item drop rates for rare drops and rare gathering points can go fight a muckdile. I needed 5 pure roots, and only got one like every 20 minutes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

How painful would a 5 survivalist run be?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, you'd need to dump a bunch of Grimoires on them to make them decent.

Speaking of which, did EOU2 improve the grimoire system, because I basically ended up just not bothering with it mostly. Subclassing was so much better.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Counting multiples of classes it's probably 5 dancers. Early Game at least would be torturous. Maybe still doable with heavy use of forges?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I name everyone after Zero Escape characters

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

steakmancer posted:

I dont even know how you clear the 1st stratum in EO4 without at least 1 status/affliction dealing character

I did it on my first run. I used power break and strike guard a lot.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

steakmancer posted:

Yeah I thought about what I said afterwards and the other sort of party solution to the first stratum is power-break and fortress, but I recall fortress not really being that durable before the 2nd stratum just due to dearth of skill points available for iron wall

Not as durable, but they're basically the only class able to take hits at that point.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cicadas! posted:

On an evening much like any other, the more sinister whims of the universe did conspire to pluck me from my merry travels and cast me headfirst into a churning morass of poor fortune, brazenly stripping me of my worldly possessions and leading me, naked and gibbering, down a path of utter madness whose ultimate terminus would offer no more than an unwanted glimpse at what I now understand to be the truest countenance of Evil itself.

I have seen the Devil's true form, and it is an owl.

Etrian Odyssey Megathread II: I have seen the Devil's true form, and it is an owl.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Replaying EO3 is really reminding me how much I dislike Princess mainclass

It's all worth it for hype princess.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

*gazes at TP pool of ~70 with 10-12+ TP cost skills and a heal tick for 11*

Worth it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You're doing expert core right?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Here lies Ketos

He wiped all my party bar 2, then died to a book to the face.

Yeah I underestimated how many amritas I needed. The bosses in EO3 seem to drag on a bit.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Hellfire breaks Ketos

Also subclassing allows you to actually start working towards burst damage setups which are the strongest things in EO3

I knew I forgot something. Oh well, charge tactic plus mumyouken worked fine enough. What are good subclasses for each class? I'm thinking buccaneer/gladiator at least.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK I went with B/G, H/N, P/W, M/P, and Z/N.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

theshim posted:

i don't deserve this :(

(okay maybe I do deserve this :smith:)

Refresh me, do hexers have any good early game damage skills, or is it gonna be "YAYYYYY STICKS" for the time being?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tengames posted:

Im playing eou between other games and finally reach the third stratum where i got distracted and stopped in the original. I am compelled to color the floor tiles of the stratum map blue,autocomplete be damned.

But what will you colour the water?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm getting the feeling that Ant Queen in eo3 is one of those "come back and try a stratum later" quest bosses. Is that correct? I seem to be barely denting her health.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sub the Fortress as a Dancer for Fan Dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So I spend forever trying to get the Ghost Ship's rare drop, and finally I say gently caress it and just use a formaldehyde. Oh boy what a cool new rapi-

Two empty forge slots.

It's not worth bothering for any forging on the Jolly Rodger, is it?

• Locked thread