Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Junkfist posted:

Both Daredevil and JJ have the problem where the villains are a million times more entertaining and interesting and I want them to win at every turn.

Surely this will be remedied when the next season of Daredevil with the Punisher starahahahahahaaa

People that legit side with Frank Castle and think he's a cool dude are most def scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Whalley posted:

It's a show about consent and control; it's such a good loving touch that they didn't do this. Like, Jessica gets hurt, but we don't see a gratuitous panty shot with her taking off her pants, we just see the wound in focus. I mean, there's multiple sex scenes in the show, but in them the women are always depicted as having power and agency. It's nice.

It's also kind of hilarious knowing that if it was a feature film rather than a Netflix series, the MPAA probably would have demanded that the scene of Trish receiving oral sex be cut in order to preserve an R rating. Neat how far ahead of Hollywood they are sometimes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dj_clawson posted:

Actual spoilers for season 2, provided they don't cut any of these scenes:

Matt and Foggy will walk in front of a Rite Aid, though the shot will probably not show the sign for licensing reasons.
There will be a scene in a Chinese restaurant that was filmed in a synagogue basement, so technically it's a kosher Chinese restaurant.
Matt and Karen will both take a walk where they're very wet and pass by a kosher frozen yogurt shop, making me think maybe the locations manager is kosher.
There will be a scene where some bank robbers run up Broadway and pass my favorite bagel shop (which is not kosher) on 101st.

Wow, this sounds like a powerhouse season. Really hope that first spoiler stays in.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dj_clawson posted:

Well, what's the endgame if it's Frank?

(1) Matt kills Frank - Nope (Frank is getting his own show)
(2) Matt puts Frank in jail - Nope (Frank is getting his own show)
(3) Matt convinces Frank not to kill people anymore - Nope (He would stop being the Punisher)
(4) Matt convinces Frank to leave NYC and continue his reign of terror elsewhere - not much of an ending.

So clearly there's a big bad guy we haven't seen yet. Like Doomsday in Dawn of Justice.

Has that actually been confirmed or is that nerd speculation at this point? I'd love to see the three of them team up to take someone down in the finale but I don't get the impression that's the story they're telling based on the marketing so far. Like, I'm assuming the Punisher lives to Punish another day, but as far as I knew the only confirmed series at this point were DD, JJ, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders. And even that seems a little bloated without giving Frank a show also.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lycus posted:

Isn't there a mystery man in the trailer who is leading The Hand ninjas?

Frank getting a show is confirmed.

Huh, that's cool I guess. Considering how dark the other shows have been, I'm not sure it's going to be watchable without intravenous SSRIs, but I'm certainly interested.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I loved The Punisher when I was a retarded lolbertarian but he has a lot less appeal now that I've grown up and matured. Re reading the MAX stuff is mostly unpleasant and I can't imagine "Frank Castle gruesomely murders disgusting rapists, murderers, and pedophiles" being a compelling season of TV without something more complex added to the mix. That's why I loved the Tom Jane Punisher. It was a little cheesy but giving the character a little humanity wasn't a bad idea.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NutritiousSnack posted:

You're kind of missing the point of the Ennis run on MAX, especially when he fights the human traffickers, it's only the light hearted wall street guys run that is supposed to generate this reaction. That arc literally ends with the activists laying into Frank and calling him a serial killer/monster no different than the rapists he's fighting and accomplishing nothing but satisfying himself, and him admitting it

Yeah, I get that, it's just a little too nihilistic for my taste.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Have there been any significant Punisher/Deadpool interactions in the comics? It seems like that could be an interesting duo with Frank playing the straight man but neither of them giving a gently caress about lethality. Or is that already pretty much what Deadpool/Cable is?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Why is Daredevil the only one to get a costume anyway?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slowpoke! posted:

First two episodes put me to sleep. I actually might have to rewatch the second one. It could have just been me being sleepy, or maybe it was really slow. I don't really know, because it put me to sleep.

Also the first episode triggered the Auto Motion Plus feature on my TV. I watched the first half of the episode thinking they filmed the show at a higher framerate until it started giving me a headache and I starting playing around with my TV settings. gently caress that stupid feature on every TV.

What's really terrible is that there are morons out there that think that poo poo looks good. Why yes, I want everything I watch to look like it was filmed in video tape like a god damned soap opera.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Given the current national climate I hope the Punisher season 1 is Frank taking down a gang of neo Nazis and white nationalists.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
While Diamondback is a little silly, I don't really get the dislike for Luke Cage in general. I really loved how unashamed it was of being an incredibly black show, from the amazingly well curated soundtrack, to the Method Man cameo, down to the details like the kind of poo poo Luke's got in his medicine cabinet.

And yet it was still a great show to watch and enjoy even if you are not a poc, which I am not. I think that it helps that despite some dark moments, it was probably the most hopeful and least cynical of all the Marvel Netflix shows, and it seems to bode well for the idea of Luke and Danny being paired up in the future.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RareAcumen posted:

Like what exactly? ATM, I don't have time to boot up netflix and scrub through the episodes to see what you mean.

Also, I thought Diamondback being batshit nuts was great. It brings some comic booky-ness to the show plus it's also a good example of what kind of stuff Luke's looking to put behind him. If he was all soft spoken and polite like Daniel Whitehall you run the risk of people wondering what Luke's issue was, his brother's a perfect gentleman and he just keeps starting fights with him for no reason. But instead you get this guy who's wearing his crazy 24/7, just got it slathered all over his face like warpaint, it's great.

I hope it gets more self-aware and when questioned on why they keep saying that they get a response of some variation of "Heroes are a lot dumber than you think. Either hearing that pisses them off, or, get this, they actually start thinking they're a monster too! There's literally no downside to it."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewrap.com/luke-cage-review-get-ready-for-a-black-superhero-and-his-magic-cream-shave/amp/

It's a pretty minor thing, but I watched the first two or three episodes at a watch party with a primarily black audience, and pretty much all of them picked up on that stuff and the various other cultural signifiers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RareAcumen posted:

Ah, lucky. I totally missed the significance of basically everything since I'm a recluse. :v: And it's only now that the cream shave would've made sense to me.

It's really the ideal way to experience Luke Cage. I'm looking forward to going to Black Panther for the same reason.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RareAcumen posted:

I meant Defenders. I don't remember a whole lot of acrobatics or anything from him. I remember a lot of tossing people by their collars and the like.

Yeah, it sure sounds like it. Lucky for you to have people around to explain what's going on.

Honestly just seeing the joy people get from finally seeing proud, authentic representations of their culture being made and celebrated in mainstream media is a delight. I'm lucky to be able to share this stuff with people who can appreciate it on that level.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh, I watched the first six episodes of Defenders yesterday, but is the best of the show really the last few minutes of ep3 when Run the Jewels kicks in? Because that was the loving high point for me and nothing else so far in the series has come close.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Misty gets a Stark tech robot arm, while the cast cringes and grimaces and breaks the 4th wall in embarrassment that they are on a comic book show related to the MCU.

seriously though this show would be ten times better if they just embraced the silliness a little bit and ran with the comic stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

I feel like it is comic booky enough. Cage bought a man in a stupid space suit. Mystical ninjas. JJ is a mutant and bought a psychic man.

I mean it's a bit more lofi than the movies and stuff like Agents of Shield, but I like the tone they have set for a ground pounding street hero show. I wish their budgets were a bit bigger though because the effects on some stuff (Defenders) are dogshit.

Yeah that stuff is in there, my point is how all the characters seem to be embarrassed about it. Luke Cage's incredulity toward Danny talking about dragons and chi is loving stupid in a world where an alien invasion was stopped by a fighting force that included a literal god.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finally finished ep 8 and just lmao at the chodes in this thread who didn't like the "hip hop" during the last fight. Just lmao. Get an education god drat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

howe_sam posted:

Who the gently caress would possibly object to using a Wu-Tang song that name checks Spider-Man? That was the best needledrop in the whole show.

I still liked Run the Jewels and the associated fight scene a little better, but yeah, my mind was blown when I got to that scene. "Someone objected to this???"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gynovore posted:

Trish Tilby was a supporting character for the X-Men back in the '90s. She's a TV reporter who had a relationship with Hank McCoy.

Trish in JJ/Defenders is Patricia "Patsy" Walker, aka Hellcat. Her origin is kinda weird. Nowadays we associate Marvel with just superhero stuff, but up until the mid 60's, they were all over the place; humor comics, love stories, detective comics, horror, westerns, everything. They had a light, fluffy teen humor title called Patsy Walker, where she and her friend Hedy got in teenage hijinx. For some lord-knows-why reason, in the 70's Patsy jumped to the superhero titles and learned martial arts, becoming Hellcat. She starred briefly with Beast (he sure gets around) then jumped to... wait for it... Defenders.

Also the way they adapted that origin for her in JJ was pretty cute.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(I guess Castlevania on Netflix too but that's kinda light on actual vampires, more just assorted weird poo poo)

Kind of blows me away that there's an essentially R rated Castlevania animated show on Netflix, and not only that, it's based on the best Castlevania game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. It has it's moments, granted. But it is broadcast TV. It has it's own set of rules it has to play by, like it or not.

Netflix doesn't have that excuse.

It's more that it has to play by CW rules that is the problem. Even broadcast tv can be better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lurdiak posted:

Neat.

It's a personal rule the character has had since his inception, basically as an attempt to make his vigilantism easier to root for, and also partially explain why he doesn't just get shot on sight by some off-duty cops. Even in Garth Ennis' extremely violent and R-rated MAX series, the worst thing he does to a very dirty cop is send him someplace where he's very likely to get killed. The only instances of Punisher outright killing cops I know of are:

In Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX, which follows Ennis' run, he tortures a cop on kingpin's payroll to death moments after telling himself he really shouldn't. It's part of a storyline about Frank losing control that ultimately ends in his death. It's acknowledged as him crossing a line he never has before.

In a What If where Frank became a policeman upon returning from Vietnam, his family is killed by dirty cops. He becomes the Punisher, but with a focus on institutional corruption. He kills dirty cops and politicians as well as more routine criminals, and always leaves evidence he compiled of their crimes next to their bodies.

In the Ultimate Marvel universe, Punisher has a similar origin as a cop who lost his family to corrupt officers. He's introduced in Ultimate Spider-man when he shoots a cop right through her loving head in broad daylight with a sniper rifle.

Punisher's had a lot of writers over the years so it's possible some rando who only wrote 3 issues had him shoot a cop one time, but as far as I know that rule of not killing cops has been mostly consistent through all his portrayals, and is a big part of why some cops put Punisher logos on their patrol cars.

I think it's because they want to kill people, and think of the Punisher as a hero. He doesn't kill cops because unlike the real world, cops in fiction are good people doing their best to help people.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think that as long as they don't have (comics spoiler) Frank kill Micro for a technicality or something like the stupid loving first Ennis MAX run, the show is probably in good hands. God that was stupid and turned me completely off MAX Punisher for being stupid edgy-mcedgelord garbage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Not sure why the thread title isn't Netflix Marvel: "Hey, Hipster!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember people were real mad about the scene where he tricks the guy into thinking he's torching him in lieu of actually torching him. That wouldn't happen in the Punisher comics, they said!

That scene was taken line for line from a Punisher comic.

That scene was great and that movie was great. Like, I get why people have issues with humanizing Frank too much but if you're going to watch him in a movie or TV I really have no interest in the lovely nihilistic MAX version.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MiddleOne posted:

MCU Strange is already a time-god. I don't really see where he could go from there.

Yeah, he throws around Thor and Loki like toys in his little cameo in Thor: Ragnarok. I am potentially excited for where his powers can go in a new Doctor Strange flick.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Someday Luke Cage will meet a dragon and it will loving own.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Defenders was great for the RTJ fight scene where you got to see the birth of Luke Cage/Danny Rand Heroes for Hire and the scene of theme giving each other (mostly Danny) poo poo over Chinese food but everything else was pretty bad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Obviously they are setting up a situation where Luke can't take on everything by himself. Iron Fist season 2 will feature Mike Colter in a lead role and will be about how they form Heroes for Hire. No, I don't know why Danny needs the money and I don't care.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Comrade Fakename posted:

The events at the end of the last season of AOS and the plans for the next one basically guarantee that the resolution to Infinity War will be using time travel to stop the “snap” from ever havin* happened in the first place. Which is probably why these Netflix shows won’t address Thanos at all.

If you really want to consider how these shows diverge from the MCU though, the biggest problem is Punisher. Many of the characters in that show are recent veterans from Iraq or Afghanistan - but this is almost ten years after Tony Stark “privatised world peace”. This seems to imply that at absolute minimum he personally ended the Iraq and Afghan Wars. What would a conventional soldier even do in the world of the MCU? Spider-Man showed that even working-class shmoes can get their hands on fantastical space magic weapons.

This is a wider problem with the MCU in general though. It's less explicitly mentioned in a two-hour movie vs thirteen hours of a television show, but it seems like both the movie and tv universes really undersell how different a world filled with superheroes would be. It's practical in that they still need to have characters that people currently living through modern bullshit can relate to but my first thought is always like "how the gently caress is this poo poo still a problem in a world with the Avengers?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Either I'm having a stroke or that tweet is missing a word or two because I'm really struggling to parse that sentence.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Andrigaar posted:

"Never mind that literally nothing ties Karate Kid to Iron Fist; except, I guess, in the imagination of mediocre white men who are self-affirmed by [shows/movies/media] that star mediocre white men as way more important than the Asians around them."

Will this clear the embolism?

God thank you. I was having a raptor meme moment and my brain was ticking like a broken record.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I enjoyed Luke Cage Season Two quite a bit but I thought the music choices in Season One were far better personally.

And despite Defenders being largely crap I'm not sure there was anything as good as the Run The Jewels sequence holy poo poo that was the most perfect song choice and seeing the baby spark of Power Man/Iron Fist happening was something else.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly wouldn't mind if they let Netflix keep JJ and The Punisher as sort of a tv version of the dumb Max line Marvel comics for adults thing. Since Disney Marvel doesn't really seem to be that keen on doing anything more edgy themselves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Field Mousepad posted:

Nah there's not enough money in that. We'll get a g rated punished/spider man team up cartoon. Rip

I mean I wouldn't mind seeing the Punisher/Spidey since that's where Frank first appeared but... If any R rated superhero gets to team up with Spidey it's probably going to be Deadpool post-Fox buyout.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh, didn't Disney still make money off of those Netflix shows because licensing? Why are they shooting themselves in the dick re Netflix properties? I don't think for one second that Netflix decided to do this without significant Disney pressure.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barry Convex posted:

This thread from an ex-Amazon exec is off on a few details here and there but I think explains it pretty well, and is in line with what the Hollywood trades have reported on the subject

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889?s=21

Thanks, that's a good read. And disappointing to say the least. That first season of Daredevil was so good. It's really too bad they couldn't continue to deliver, for a variety of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My only hopes at this point are that they keep Punisher, because lmao at the idea that Disney+ would want anything to do with Frank Castle, and that Punisher season 2 is good.