Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Darth Brooks posted:

Question for someone whose competed the series. Is the level of violence consistent thru the full series? I'm up to EP. four.

I don't think so, no. After the first few episodes there's plenty of fights and blood, but nothing quite as...intense as the first few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Those panels make me want to punch Joe Quesada in the head.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

1x03 (I think)

I'm surprised with all of the "kingpin's suit" talk, nobody has mentioned Vanessa's description of her previous suitor who showed up in a white suit and an ascot.

"That seems a bit much."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Personally I hope they get whoever is the best actor regardless of race :shrug:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

^Ugh, I prefer living in denial. Much more comfortable.
I mean, sure, but Iron Fist isn't exactly a situation like Spider-Man or Ben Urich or something where their ethnicity is -- arguably, and even in these cases I think it's up for debate -- not that important to the storyline. The entire backdrop of Iron Fist's storyline is culture-relevant. His whole setting is laced with Orientalism, specifically the depiction of ancient Chinese kung fu. The ethnicity of the actor they get to play Danny Rand is, frankly, very very significant in this context.

Riiiight, but his story is specifically that he is not a part of that culture and kind of accidents his way into being Iron Fist. This isn't to say that he can't be Asian, but even if he is he has to be extremely American. Which IMO is almost more offensive, as it suggests that Asians have genetic Kung Fu.

But Marvel is totally not going to cast an Asian guy. Prepare for disappointment. Personally I hope he's Latino :mrgw:

EDIT: It's also kind of reductionist to boil his entire story down to "White guy is better at Asian stuff than Asian guys." It's possible to tell the story from the comics respectfully and without bias, as evidenced by the fact that half the people here didn't notice that interpretation was possible until it was pointed out.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 14, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's not and people are pre-emptively (and I'd say knowingly) setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment and bitching when Danny is inevitably Not Asian.

Yeah, Marvel has been pretty consistently going for a physical likeness to the comic character for the lead roles in all of their properties so far. Like, Scott Lang being dark haired is a daring choice for them.

I'd say you could change some of the supporting characters to be Asian, like they changed Ben to be black, but all of Iron Fist's supporting characters are already Asian.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Hmmmm

I'm linking it because it's the barest of comics spoilers.

You know, I was kind of wondering about that. We never saw that guy's face and I wondered briefly if that might be their version of Bullseye, since he was an assassin working for Kingpin. His role was kind of pivotal to the storyline and it was odd to me that we never found out anything about that sniper at all. Of course I was actively looking for that character to show up.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Marvel's casting choices across all of their properties have been pretty amazing overall, with the arguable exception of Ed Norton.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Possible minor late episode spoiler, I just binge watched the whole thing and can't remember in which episode this abbreviation first appears I just want to be the first to say that IGH = Inhuman Growth Hormone

Of course that is obviously not what it stands for and doesn't actually make any sense but the words fit and I like it anyway.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Haven’t watched this yet, but I assume that Typhoid Mary has no powers here, thus continuing the Netflix Marvel universe’s weird aversion to any sort of physical powers beyond variations on “can punch things really, really hard.”

Also, how far does this go with the supernatural elements that S1 kept to a bare minimum outside of exposition dumps? Spoilers welcome.

Mary/Walker does not have powers, but toward the end it is revealed that there's probably a third, more dangerous personality that killed all of the guards in a Sokovian prison.

There's a fairly significant amount of supernatural Iron Fist-related stuff.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Except that then he goes to the hospital and nothing bad happens

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Was anyone else confused for a few minutes when they started talking about a "Walker" who had taken pictures of Danny and Colleen? I was half expecting Trish to show up.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Whalley posted:

Yeah, in the comics he's an Iron Fist who faked his own death and Danny goes and learns from him. In the show, that was the dead Iron Fist that Davos cut the tattoo from. I really wish they hadn't killed him off like that; it doesn't make sense for Orson to have stolen the body of a previous Iron Fist, but it also doesn't make sense how Davos could have used the tattoo for Iron Fist powers if it wasn't a real iron fist.

Wait, so your take is that Orson Randall sold Davos his own corpse? I just assumed he had access to another dead iron fist and was also highly unethical.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Whalley posted:

My take is I thought Davos had the corpse of Orson Randall shipped in, not 'he got Orson to send him a corpse.' I don't know why Orson would have also stolen the corpse of a previous Iron Fist while he was faking his own death to get outta Kun-Lun. There's things in this show that make it really hard to focus when you got ADHD, so if I'm wrong I'm super fine with that.

At the end, the guy Ward is talking to in the bar says he works for Orson Randall. It's possible that someone is using his name and he is in fact dead, but taken at face value it seems like he's alive and has various iron fisty things laying around, like those guns.

Related, I think that those guns are special in some way, rather than Danny already having his powers back.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Stan Lee was bad at names.

Actually he probably didn't create Misty, maybe not Foggy either but that sure sounds like a name he'd use.

EDIT: Confirmed, Foggy was created by Stan Lee, Misty was created by Tony Isabella.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 11, 2018

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

qirex posted:

I think they feel like they have to justify the fact that all their "heroes" are serial felons by giving them implicit approval from law enforcement. I don't know if this is what you're talking about as far as Daredevil S3 but it's one of those other things that makes no sense in "grounded, real world" scenario but they feel obligated so it doesn't feel so comic book-ey. Jessica Jones S2 had her actually get arrested and not immediately released by a sympathetic detective which was actually unusual. Misty was the only cop in all the shows I actually like and she's a super powered criminal puncher now too.

I'm getting so tired of Hell's Kitchen. It's midtown and everyone hates midtown, especially the people who are from there. They also should have done Iron Fist in Flushing since it's way bigger than the like 15 square blocks that is Manhattan Chinatown.

Good news, they are flushing iron fist! :v:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The prophecy never would have happened if Voldemort hadn't heard it and tried to stop it happening, which made it happen. There was nothing linking the two before that. The only reason he even attacked Harry was because he was an insecure hypocrite. The prophecy could have referred to Harry or Neville. And despite being a massive racist, he saw Harry as the greater threat because he was a halfblood like him.

And because this isn't the Harry Potter thread. Do we know who the villain of JJ season 3 is?

Answer pulled out of my rear end: Trish Walker.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure in a few scenes he had throwing knives or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

So how many of the Marvel Netflix shows prominently feature a cop/reporter/etc pursuing a personal obsession with a villain at the risk of their career?