Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

Also I feel like calling Scott Lang "whiny" is kinda off. He's not not a loser, but he's just really endearingly chipper and enthusiastic.

Yeah, especially in civil war where he's basically making GBS threads his pants in glee that he's working with Cap.

Anyway, Ant Man is a really fun heist movie, but with superpowers, and that guy should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazy posted:

It really bothers me how ineffective that tech became in Season 2 and Defenders.

Also the S1 scarf on head thing looked way, way cooler.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That bit in Madanis parents apartment where they dart his hemopneumothorax was surprisingly realistic, speaking of damage he takes.

Probably needed a chest tube after though

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DeathSandwich posted:

Obstruction/Aiding and Embedding

Aiding and abetting. Not embedding. This drives me nuts, sorry.

The Frank Vs CIA/Mercs thing is a good point, and I was wary at first because it was a pretty big shift from how the character has operated in the past outside of a MAX arc or two, but I liked it a lot. It avoided the problems that the other series have had, where it's all self-moralizing and finding reasons not to go after the villain directly, instead of making progress towards the end goal slowly but steadily.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I seriosuly recomend just skipping to the Run the Jewels fight on youtube and then asking yourself "would I sit through 8 more hours to watch this scene?"

If No, Turn it off

If Yes, Surprise, that's definitely the best scene in the Defenders and then the remaining 2/3s has like uh, 1 other good fight in a Chinese food restaurant in like episode 6

I'm only mentioning the fights because I can't think of any scenes that really stood out, but I will genuinely admit that JJ + DD scenes are pretty well written and LC + IF is charming in a very cartoony way, so if the Defenders S2 is just pushing the 2 + 2 dynamic a la' Venture Bros it will probably be a better show.

The defenders has an RTJ fight scene too? I remember being pretty surprised to hear them in Iron Fist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even the comics have (or had, I haven't kept up since secret wars) a pretty sharp divide between Street/planetary/cosmic, so the lack of references doesn't bother me much.

Man, I was thinking about the Punisher's casting some and Bernthal really nailed it. The element that sold it for me was not just how he was human sometimes, and a cold killer the next, but those moments where he would be talking to someone on his side, who is as close to a friend as he has, and just loving explodes that they cannot and never will be able to understand the pain that he operates under all the time. It really sold the stuff like the construction crew thing in ep 1, where he's trying to bury what he is now that he thinks he's done with revenge but it comes out anyway. I think that is what's gonna make the next season work with his character arc in this one for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soothing Vapors posted:

Agreed, but Cox and Bernthal were so good together I still want to see him in DD

I think some ninjas broke in and chopped onions when I watched that scene where Frank was telling Matt about coming home.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

This version of the Punisher is so goddamn human. Which is a real rarity for the character, Marvel lucked out hard with the casting.

Hearing him talk about them and knowing they got ripped away really sells it.

I hate the part where he talks about being on the plane home and expecting God to kick it away. One of my friends was killed in a hit and run at the airport on the way back from Afghanistan right before thanksgiving 2014 so that poo poo is just too real.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo, I know that it's 6 billion degrees of impossible but could you imagine if- and no one called it out- every show had a Koenig just walking by on the street one episode?

I don’t watch AOS anymore but I do play a lot of brigador, so it took me a second to parse this as anything other than a giant machine gun walking on by.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

Didn't she frequently jump from the ground onto a third-story fire escape in her own series? I doubt there's a normal human who can pull that off.

Pretty much anyone can do that.

Doing it twice, now there’s something that takes superpowers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I think he's making a joke about the consistency of Jessica's powers. I'm not sure, I tapped out on JJ and don't remember much.

Nah, that’s giving me too much credit, it was two am and my tired brain read it backwards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fartbox posted:

So who is the wizard

every party needs a wizard

If the Punisher joins the defenders, he’d be the wizard. Long distance damage and AoE grenades.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How did Marvel’s Netflix stuff go from Daredevil’s fantastic heights to being AoS S1 but worse?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
At least The Punisher was actually good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burning_Monk posted:

Hopefully they learn from last season.

I really want Marvel Netflix to come off the skid it’s been in. I used to be hyped for all the new shows, but outside of The Punisher, it’s been a slog to try to finish any of them for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The black suit looked so much more badass. Just toss an armored vest on him or something.

The wrap over his head looked way better than that doofyass helmet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

black suit can't save the show if the directing and scripts aren't up to snuff.

Daredevil hasn’t ever really been bad. S2 sufferer from having one plot (The Punisher) that really, really outshone the other plot (undead ninjas), but the undead ninja plot was still better than anything between DDS2 and Punisher.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

I agree somewhat regarding DDS2 (though I hate the undead ninjas, they super hosed that up not to mention they completely forgot how Matt's powers work rofl) but I also know that the DDS2 showrunners performed the abortion that is The Defenders, and that's what makes me pessimistic regarding DDS3.

The defenders was kind of doomed from the outset because half the cast had shows relating to the main plot, and the other half didn’t. And of the half that did have Hand stuff in it, one of those shows was godawful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LesterGroans posted:

"Just gotta wait 10 boring hours and then you get to the good stuff"

Honestly that’s probably less wait than Fringe, and that’s one of my favorite shows of all time. Fringe is waaaay more consistent though, AOS lost me again during season 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

It struck me as odd that Frank didn't kill that poor builder dude in the first episode. He was an armed gunman. Surely it's part of the Punisher's philosophy to kill people for violent crimes regardless of how sympathetic we might find them?

I mean, I didn't want Frank to kill the guy, but I was confused that he didn't -- particularly given the way this thread talks about the character. It also struck me as a bit safe.

It’s been a long time, but I’m pretty sure even Max Frank had some mercy now and again, especially for people that weren’t career criminals.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

Am I the only person who kind of casually slides Person of Interest into the Marvel Netflix-verse despite neither being a Marvel nor a Netflix series?

Great, now I want Fusco and Bear to be in Punisher S2. They would fit in pretty well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dont even fink about it posted:

That being said in may not be an episode length issue, since Defenders is eight episodes and is apparently the worst of them all

Defenders is like, 100 percent Hand stuff, and hand stuff is always disappointing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

By that logic since Damon Lindelof can never pull off a full TV season without some bad episodes that drag but still manages to have many real good episodes, his movie writing credits must be amazing.

Leftovers Season 3, :cmon:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Well that and the RTJ fight scene, but that fight scene muted is only somewhat serviceable

There was an RTJ fight scene in Defenders? I remember one in Iron fist, but I gave up on Defenders like two episodes in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

His name is Tony Jaa and the reason is because the cost for their combined salaries would be so high the movie would be a cheap piece of poo poo. See the actual Expendables films, or anything Adam Sandler's made after The Waterboy.

Isn’t Jackie Chan basically disabled at this point from the decades of doing his own stunts?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

I wouldn't say disabled, but the dude is almost 65.

My understanding was that a mix of being that age and the fact he has routinely destroyed himself for decades means he can’t do most stunts anymore.

Hell, I did less than he did, and I’m turning 30 in a month, and my joints just hurt all the goddamn time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mike N Eich posted:

It's wild because the first half of Daredevil season 2 owns bones with the Punisher, but yeah good lord everything about the Hand in all the shows was just terrible

I dunno if the hand stuff in Daredevil S2 was bad (it definitely was in all the other shows), but it has the poor fortune to be running opposite the ongoing Punisher stuff that was knocking it out of the park.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

If only Jessica Jones Season 2 hadn't been the worst season of television ever made...

Worse than the defenders?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, there's a little hyperbole on my part. Netflix Marvel wasn't bad overall or anything tbh, with the exception of Iron Fist. It's just the highs were so good, the rest of the stuff seemed so lacking in comparison. First half of Luke Cage was so good I got immensely let down by the second half. JJ season 1 I had a blast with. But after Iron Fist let me down so hard, I kinda half-heartedly followed the other shows, with the exception of Punisher.

Season 2 of Daredevil is one where the highs (episodes 1-4) made the rest (anytime after that) feel so much worse by comparison even if it was pretty decent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sounds like they won't be following the books at all, so that should kill 90% of the complaints which were "But in the books..."

A lot of the “in the books” complaints were because when they deviated from the books, they always did it in ways that were stupid cliches or just really dumb and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/1080841307973607424

Was expecting Jigsaw to look a lot more messed up

I think they learned the lesson from the 2008 movie’s jigsaw, where if the face is too jacked up you lose a lot of the actor’s ability to emote.