Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When I was growing up I was honestly more interested in the Punisher than Daredevil, so I just kinda was indifferent about Daredevil as a superhero as a whole, until now. This show was really made well in my opinion, and it made me extremely interested in Daredevil. This show made me seriously sympathize with all of the characters, especially the Kingpin, and it turns around this thought I always had of the Kingpin from watching the Fox Kids Spiderman when i was a kid (which was just a really fat man in a white suit who never went to jail).

The key thing for me is, even though Fisk did the things he did,especially in the second to last episode, I can still feel a certain amount of sympathy for him, and that's not something I normally feel in shows like these. It's usually only the point of view of the hero. Netflix and Co. did a hell of a job with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I absolutely loving loved Season 2 Episode 3. Loved that they took one of my favorite parts from Welcome Back, Frank, and made something of it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, this is a pretty good show, and i'm just as interested as I was when Daredevil's Season 1 and 2 came out.

I didn't even give a poo poo about Daredevil or Heroes for Hire, until now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Speaking of which, are there any plans for them to make Frank Castle his own series? just asking because he's my number one favorite in all of marvel.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Maybe just stick with what appeals to you most, rather than looking for some outside source like rottentomatoes?

I know how it's hard to avoid it, but think about it. Are you looking for what pleases you most? or what other people are pleased by instead?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
ehh, it's alright. Still engaged enough to watch it. On episode 5 or 6 by now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

enraged_camel posted:

The trailers have looked good so far, but I'm kind of concerned that the show will have only 8 episodes. I feel like they have a poo poo ton of stuff to pack into ~7 hours: the four heroes, plus their teams and the various interactions between them, plus The Hand (Sigourney + Bakuto + Gao + Elektra).

Considering everything has been building up to this, I'm really hoping that things won't feel too rushed.

I look at it this way. The debut of the Avengers tried to give screen time to like 4 different movies and bring them together, and tried to pack that poo poo in for 2 hours.

Even if it is 8 hours, it's still a series, and it's plenty of screen time for all the others.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cythereal posted:

Just noticed something from looking over casting news about the Punisher series: Jigsaw is the villain, being played by Ben Barnes. They just used Jigsaw's real name, so he may or may not be going by that alias in the series.

Wait, I thought the series was going to be like Punisher: Born? Instead it's Iraq or Afghanistan rather than Vietnam?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You guys, i have to defeat the hand you guys

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
There was no chemistry with Colleen either, it was just fuuuuccking awful. The surrounding cast did their best, but I just think Finn Jones walking around talking like the Comic book store guy from Simpsons constantly yammering about how he "has to defeat the hand", got old real quick.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 28, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm worried they'll make Karen Page a heroin addict after all of this.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

homullus posted:

It ranks their fighting ability, from left to right.

Not just fighting ability, but fighting choreography.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Like it's erectile dysfunction or something.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

As Nero Danced posted:

So... is that dude that lost both his kidneys still wasting away?

Pretty sure he cried tears of joy seeing the news story of a villain getting his rear end murdered justifiably by a private eye. Makes sense because as soon as that entire thing happened, she finally starts getting a lot of work. A good chunk of people saw her murder the dude, and after all that, there was that scene with the former junkie roomate helping with the calls.

Atlas Investigations Inc. took off, but not really in the way that she wanted.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 16, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

thebardyspoon posted:

Don't think you can blame the hand being lame on Iron Fist. They've made a complete mess of it throughout Daredevil, Iron Fist and this, it's baffling since they presumably had the broad strokes planned out since the end of Daredevil season 1 but their motivations seem completely different in each show (and in the individual seasons of Daredevil). The whole Black Sky thing is especially bizarre, wasn't the one Stick killed in Season 1 of Daredevil a little kid?

Yeah I think the kid was the first, but by daredevil season 2, the hand figured out the replacement for the black sky. Guess stick figured so long as there was one, and it was one person he trained, he had a better chance of protecting the world.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You know what? for all it's faults, I really enjoyed this. I liked Danny Rand playing the part of damsel in distress/main target and Jessica's reactions to all the crazy poo poo going on.

My only beef is, all the fight choreography in the world doesn't mean anything if the setting is in a dark lit room with very few lights in between it all.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah that stuff is in there, my point is how all the characters seem to be embarrassed about it. Luke Cage's incredulity toward Danny talking about dragons and chi is loving stupid in a world where an alien invasion was stopped by a fighting force that included a literal god.

I agree almost completely. In the movies and in the netflix series, everyone is absolutely aware of the "incident" where everything you knew about the universe changed. Thing is, people are still going to work and worrying about rent because that's just the way the world still works. It's almost as if hearing about the "floating city" in Age of Ultron, or the guy with the "hammer" is just water cooler talk you hear about in google news, and not some life altering thing.

In any other medium (other than comics), that extraordinary thing is enough to rattle the whole world. Alien invasion, new power source, terrorist with world ending stuff. Comic universes as far as i know are the only ones where people know there's something out there, and is still kinda positive about it, if not ambivalent. As some regular jane/joe, you know there's like 100 heroes with different powers saving the world, competing with 100 villains trying to end it, and you're just trying to make rent.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Why does Defenders not have the team fight actual ninjas at ANY point. All of a sudden all the mooks are dudes in suits for no reason.

Hand agents can wear beach attire and still do the things they do

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't know about you, but Run the Jewels in that big fight was the best choice in music.

All I could think about was Ari Shaffir's "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING" shorts, freaking the gently caress out in a fight full of superheroes and evil ninjas

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spacebump posted:

He probably could but do we really need foot fetish scenes in the MCU?

It's a really small price to pay if everything else gets fixed.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Punisher is waging a war on crime. I hate to break it to you, but that can also involve some russians, italians, irish. gangs that are primarily made up of black people are also included.

That set of issues (Punisher:MAX) where you showed a black guy getting poo poo for holding his gun the wrong way by frank is also the same one where you see the aftermath of a shotgun blast to the face. Pretty sure it was meant to ruffle some feathers

AND further loving more, please don't mention the page before and that! Where it was a black gang and a group full of skinheads trying to complete a cocaine deal!

If you're somehow looking for equal representation in everything (about an anti-hero that kills A LOT of criminals), maybe you should've included that too

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 19, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That's why they consider the Punisher to be an anti-hero, because although he does combat criminals and villains, he crosses lines that other heroes do not cross, so you got other heroes like daredevil trying to help him and get him to not kill n' poo poo.

Although if we're going to include the recent marvel movies, really every one of those guys have killed before, accidentally or otherwise, so I don't know.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 3, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lurdiak posted:

Even a character who's ok with killing a villain to stop their rampage or an enemy soldier in wartime is a far cry from a serial killer who murders people in their beds because of past crimes.

Well yeah, that's why he's an unsavory fellow. But I think the plain human nature of feeling justified in taking revenge, most heroes always trying to find a way to solve conflicts, AND said heroes usually combating other villains with similar powers, without killing anybody is probably the main reasons why Punisher is such a hit. It's a hit because it's different.

He has no superpowers and he finds a way to take down criminal organizations and super villains alike also has that underdog element to it.

enraged_camel posted:

Frank is definitely not an anti-hero. He's a villain whose interests, but not methods, occasionally align with those of heroes, and only because he is driven by a sense of justice rather than, say, the sheer desire for chaos and suffering or the goal of personal gain at the expense of everything else.

The reason he worked so well in DD2 is because his character was both well-written and well-acted. This made the audience sympathize with and maybe even root for him, which is very rare in the comics universe, and in storytelling in general.

Maybe it's the strict set of rules that comics followed, but generally I always saw it as:

Heroes: Never kill unless they want shock value
Anti-Heroes:Straight up kill villains
Villains: Explicitly, willingly, and eagerly places innocent people in harms way to get what they want.

I never really saw Frank Castle as a villain, just a hero whose methods are so extreme and distasteful, heroes treat him as a menace despite the fact heroes are also taking the law into their own hands. But he never kills an innocent person...Unless he does for the shock value, just like the hero. I can count on one hand though when they tried that bullshit, and i'm including movies, punisher max, and the regular comics.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 3, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What. I thought that was a joke

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
But the punisher doesn't kill innocent people, why do people get this wrong

I didn't see this moral quandry when Boondock saints came out

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm almost done with the Punisher Series. I read all of the Punisher MAX series, so without spoiling anything, I completely understand why that person is the main antagonist.

As soon as i heard his last time, ohhh boy.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 25, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just finished the Punisher series. It was everything I wanted it to be, so i already rank it with Daredevil Season 1 and 2. With Luke Cage coming in at a close fourth.

That was about the best human like portrayal of the punisher i've seen yet. Normally in the comics he's definitely mid-way into his one man war/crusade, so you don't really see a lot of development that you'd normally see in a TV show or something.

Trouble is, when you hear some of the names, and you've seen all the comics, you kinda know where things might lead. William Rawlins was a real piece of poo poo in the Punisher MAX series, and Pretty boy is one of Castle's long time enemies, outside of Kingpin and Bullseye, He's known as the man that has tangled with the punisher and lived, but not without any consequences. JIGSAW.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 25, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RareAcumen posted:

From my limited Punisher knowledge, I thought The Russian and Barracuda were constants too.

nael posted:

The problem with the Punisher in the comics is that he doesn't have very many iconic villains of his own, mostly because of all the murder. A lot of interesting recurring villains show up in maybe 2 or 3 arcs and then die horribly. Then they have to come up with somebody new. Even Barracuda and The Russian weren't really around all that long.

And that's the reason why. Punisher doesn't have many recurring villains. As far as my own limited Punisher Knowledge goes, Bullseye and Kingpin are recurring because they are also big villains to spiderman and daredevil and any other hero that lives in new york.

As awesome as it was, The Russian and Barracuda's Punisher MAX were both two time deals. Jigsaw has always been considered as one of Punisher's major enemies.

If they were taking anything else from Punisher MAX. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if an up and coming capo named Nicky Cavella caught Frank's attention in a big way in season 2.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 25, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

nael posted:

Nicky Cavella's death always stuck out to me as especially hosed up. Like, it wasn't especially graphic or gross on panel, but the absolute cruelty of it was insane.

Are you talking the completely mis-used Punisher Warzone movie? Or the Punisher MAX issue Up is down, Black is white? Because I'm pretty sure he deserved it after getting his attention that way.

In the end though, just like Castle said "You made it personal [Cavella], but all that does is buy you a little more pain than most."

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

nael posted:

I was referring to the Max Issue. He not only deserved it, but was an absolute idiot for thinking what he did would end any other way.

edit:I don't even remember Cavella in the Warzone movie. Was he just a random henchman who got a name drop?

If i remember right from watching the movie like 6 years ago, It turns out that that last name Cavella was the undercover cop the punisher accidentally killed early in the movie. Thomas Jane was a big fan of the Punisher and turned down the role because of it when he read the script.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 25, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Castle has shrugged off a lot of stuff thanks to experience and all that adrenaline. Normally he'd take weeks or months to recover, but it's his one man crusade against crime that keeps him going.

The thing is, we know he's human, and i'm not talking about powers or anything. Every Hero that has ever dealt with him thinks he's a complete psycho because he crosses that line and kills people without any remorse. The viewer and the narration in the comics show he's actually sane, because he carries out all these horrific operations against criminals with such ruthless efficiency, and he never kills any civilians (unless like i said before, he somehow does or gets tricked into it because the writer had the idea).

Luke Cage can shrug it all off and punch anyone shooting at him with superpowers. Frank Castle has Kevlar, using the environment to his advantage, his reflexes, and a lot of yelling. Loved it when he used that bodyguard as a shield to get the hell out of that hallway.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A Major Fucker posted:

what's the stor ybehind netflix marvel. where did it come from

it came from money

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

BrianWilly posted:

I certainly want a great amount of titillating, gratuitous, gratifying violence in my Punisher shows, but I like the fact that this Netflix Punisher is at least sort of circumspect and restrained about what exactly he does. It's really nice that this version of the character falls more-or-less perfectly in-line with my personal idealized version of the character, as summarized way back when in this thread.

BrianWilly posted:

I think Punisher could work as a more standard hero -- or at least as an anti-hero -- if they focus less on the fact that he seems to brutally execute every single bad guy he comes across and more on the issue that, hey, sometimes -- not all the time but at least some of the time -- killing some of these guys is completely justified and defensible. He would still be working outside the law which would force the police and other heroes to try to deal with him, and this would still set him apart from the sort of characters who take their no-kill decrees very seriously, but it wouldn't depict Frank as some sort of "madman that has to be stopped" or whatever which, in my opinion, hurts the character more than it doesn't.

'Cuz, y'know what, sometimes it is really dumb to spare these bad guys. Sometimes it is utterly absurd for some heroes -- in their more badly-written moments -- to be wringing their hands about how all killing is bad no matter what -- why? BECAUSE that's why -- and Punisher is a good character with which to explore that worldview.

Thanks for nailing this down awhile back. Unlike the all heroes with their secret identities, Frank Castle's life has pretty much been declassified and laid bare in the comics. Everybody knows who he is, and why he does the things that he does.

The thing is, in the comics the police and generally other heroes think he's a psychopath but the trick is the audience knows he's not a psychopath at all. He absolutely does not harm civilians, he plans all these brutal killings as if it were an operation, and he's a man who had his life and family taken away after giving everything out there. There's a reason why Revenge motivators can make great action characters and movies. That's why we have poo poo like John Wick, Man On Fire, Conan the Barbarian, because there's the part in our brain that craves the whole "You lost everything, now make sure they lose everything".

People don't realize that the reason why Punisher MAX and punisher comics is good (and some bad, all depends on the writer) is because you already know who he is, and he has been killing criminals for years now. No origin story, it's just a continuation.

Bad guy, mob boss, bad operation, new drugs in the streets, innocents dying, police cannot solve this issue or look the other way, life is miserable, put a stop to it. Heroes do the same thing too, but without killing. That's why they are called heroes, and Punisher is considered a Vigilante, even though EVERYTHING they do is vigilantism.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 10, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Take into account what we know in the real life, and add in the marvel stuff where there are super heroes, and we know there is life out there and it's hostile. Hell Kitchen's heroes and anti heroes are the breathing room in the news, in between the possibility that a giant purple space tyrant will come to earth and kill everybody and documentaries on how the Vikings were right all along thanks to the resurgence of nordic gods.

I mean, come on, while we're at it, what about the news about how these giant blue cancerous like bumps that multiplied very quickly killed a bunch of people and cops out in the midwest, and just stopped suddenly for no reason?

I know that Netflix Marvel isn't connected to the Disney Marvel movies (at least not completely), but Netflix acknowledges everything in what the movies do in throwaway lines.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 17, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Halloween Jack posted:

Dude, the MCU...isn't real. You're not watching a documentary imported from an alternate quantum universe.

If the MCU is an alternate world where everyone has reason to be afraid of insidious invaders and rampant crime, and arm themselves...how and why did a loose network of artists create that fictional setting? All art is propaganda.

Sorry, but this is like "No no, Gamora wearing a microkini isn't sexist, that's just how they dress on her planet."

Look, you got the wrong guy. The issue that is being brought up is "anti-gun", which is an issue in the sense that calling for stricter background checks on gun purchases is being viewed as "anti-gun" rhetoric. This is a very real thing that is going on today. People are applying this idea in the punisher series because the director squeezed that in as an issue. Even during the interview, Karen Page highlighted that a bomb was used, and that guns are not the issue. Guns were brought up because Punisher

Punisher is probably the most grounded in reality in comparison to the rest of the netflix marvel. We're adding issues of possible domestic terrorism, CIA interference, a main and side story about PTSD, vigilantism and not heroism, and it handles these very well.

People are forgetting that this is the same universe where Tony Stark plugged a wormhole right in the middle of new york, because it's always loving new york.

I was just making a joke and a point that netflix does acknowledge everything in the movies, and at this point, Punisher was just a tuesday.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ex post facho posted:

Just finished that last scene on the carousel with Frank and Billy. :stonk: :gibs:

Can't say I didn' think he deserved it, either

As someone who did read some of the comics I wasn't surprised the moment i heard the name Billy Russo. Same deal with Rawlins.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really enjoyed Luke Cage Season 2. I really like his new costume.

Also I completely forgot that Reg E Cathys died this year.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Usually there's hints to an arc from a comic, but I am not familiar with Luke Cage at all. Is the ending based on a writer's twist on a Luke Cage issue?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bust Rodd posted:

The best episode of Iron Fist is an episode of Like Cage LoL

Not gonna lie, the moment i saw him in one episode i just want "oh noooo, please don't", but he's a lot less fish out of water in this episode and I really liked it. That made me think that I honestly believe it would've been better if they had Iron fist as a supporting character, the same way Luke Cage was introduced in Jessica Jones.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just link that tweet with that fight between a Meetchum bodyguard and Iron Fist in a small records room where it had like 56 takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dress however you wanna dress, who gives a poo poo. gently caress these racist assholes who make articles about "culture appropriation", It's a goddamn melting pot. Just don't wear blackface, now that's the career killer.