Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only just finished the series now and I'd been meaning to get around to it.

Did the moralizing from Foggy about how Matt might end up turning out just as bad as Fisk make anyone else roll their eyes when it started getting laid on in the tenth episode? I was really waiting for him to cut him off by starting off with 'Okay, first off. I'm not going to start kidnapping people and selling them. I'm also not going to have a daughter and start molesting her either/ start a criminal empire with the Yakuza.'

It just felt so obviously done before and unnecessary since we all know he's not gonna go from 'I wanted to kill Fisk when I saw him' to 'Wow, how'd I end up decapitating people with car doors?'

Also, Fisk really felt like a man-child that couldn't handle not being in control of things but I feel like that might be a bit unfair to say for some reason. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

That actually ends up happening by the way. Twice. Doubt the tv show would ever get to it, although they do have Netflix shows planned for about half the players in Shadowland which is frightening. Shadowland must never be covered. The other instance of him doing it isn't much better, but at least it's an amusing premise.

Were they criminals or people who were ostensibly supposed to be on his side?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. On the semi-regular occasions Matt snaps, he tends to really snap.

Wow, what a mess.

dj_clawson posted:

It is not exactly terrible that they are trying to cast someone who at least looks (to American viewers) like the ethnicity that she's supposed to be. On the other hand, a casting call for "exotic" women is a little racist.

Would it be alright if they were looking for specific races, like putting it out that they're looking for Slavic people to play a specific role? Or is it just if you put it out that you're looking for "exotic" people bluntly like that?

Explain it to me like I'm a moron. :downs:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 28, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

S2 E2 Jesus Christ, Matt's deaf and freaking out. :stare: Haven't finished the entire episode yet because I had to say

http://i.imgur.com/dVTlQts.webm

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Season 2 Has Nelson and Murdock had troubles staying afloat like this in any of the comics too because Matt can't keep juggling vigilante and lawyer work together or is that something that's just added for the show?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What's the justification for why Matt can throw that stick around and ricochet it off walls and poo poo? I mean, I've got the same question about Captain America doesn't the same thing but is that just because Stick trained him to do that too or what?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Season 2 character musings. I didn't really care for Electra when she showed up because I have no idea who she is or what her deal was. Like how she learned how to be an incredible fighter and all that. All I knew was that her showing up out of nowhere with Matt not realizing she was in his house for like a full minute and half had to be significant somehow. And then she brought him to the house of the dude who was involved in his dad being murdered and all I could think is 'What the gently caress- Is she getting turned on by all this? I mean breaking into someone's house and drinking their whiskey and stuff is one thing but now literally murder a man seems like an enormous leap from there.' I was really relieved when she stayed kinda at arms length from Matt romantically though because holy poo poo she's absolutely insane.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zoux posted:

Spoilers all If they were planning on Karen Page Fearless Reporter all along I'm even more disappointed they killed off Ben. Maybe it was a case of actor availability or something, but they did a whole season building a great rapport between him and Karen. Now they have to do it again, but this time with a guy they spent a whole season making look like a corrupt dickhead, so it's even a harder sell that he's this bastion of journalistic wisdom and ethics.

Yeah, I thought he was working for Kingpin last season, so that caught me off guard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

adhuin posted:

There was a reveal at the end when one of the nameless reporters were arrested, instead of the dickish boss.

Yeah, I just forgot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KTS posted:

The whole kill the guy who killed Matt's dad was in the past after they first met, and was the last time they saw each other until Elektra showed up in his apartment

Oh yeah, I know that it was a flashback and all that. I'm just commenting on how it flowed throughout the episodes. Y'know, she showed up in his house and then we got flashbacks on who she was. And now I'm done with the series and I'm kinda bummed out that Matt wanted to get back together with her. Kinda, but not too much since it seems like he wants to do it only to keep an eye on her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Season 2 Spoiler Anyone notice that the whole series is about killing vs. not killing and Matt just straight up kills Nobu at the end?

No? Nobu got back up and Stick stabbed and sliced his throat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lycus posted:

Finale: Before the rooftop fight, did anyone else totally think that Frank was gonna minigun a crapload of ninjas instead of just snipe a few?

I was expecting something automatic like an assault rifle actually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jessica Jones didn't interest me but I'm glad that other people were able to find a show that they enjoyed and can talk about. :)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

foggy is a whiny rear end in a top hat.
"whats that? you save people's lives on a regular basis including my close personal friend karen page? gently caress you. i dont care if you can literally hear people desperately pleading for help and dying every night

Nah, Foggy is great and awesome.

I get the feeling he'd be less pissed at Matt if he'd actually shared what the gently caress was happening when he was out at night in his Halloween costume punching people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Matt did straight up tell him a story about saving a girl who was gonna get chopped up though.

How long did it take him to tell him about Electra? We already went through this last season when the situation was a dad sexually abusing his daughter anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zoux posted:

One thing they didn't follow up on, or if they did I missed it, was Matt losing his senses in his apartment for five minutes. Did they ever explain that or go back to it?

Yeah I guess it was just a little scene and not a big plot point. It was still really freaky to see him panicking after that glass fell.

Foggy really should've been clued in that something's up with Matt considering that the blind man doesn't own cups and bowls and stuff that won't break if they fall off the counter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Living, breathing city.

DareDevil vs The Spirit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Na'at posted:

This guy gets it.

I'm amazed at people wanting answers to all these mysteries and plot points to be answered in a single season. This isn't network TV and the traditional season structure doesn't apply. Netflix is building a multi-show multi-season story and the writers know this.

Well, it would be very nice to know exactly what a Black Sky is so we can know what to worry about. It'd be like a Batman story where he has to stop the Joker from deploying Operation: Curtain Call and they keep saying Curtain Call over and over again without saying what the gently caress they're actually stopping.

Na'at posted:

Why cry foul on a big rear end hole when we've seen an old woman with a legion of followers who blinded themselves, who also managed to knock Daredevil on his own rear end with her hand? I don't recall any answers being given here and that poo poo was way back in season 1.

That was early lovely DareDevil though. He was just a guy in a mask back then. That might've even been before he'd managed to kick Stick's rear end too, actually.

Speaking of which, is Melvin someone in the comics too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

A) Karen is a poo poo writer.

Has Karen being a good writer come up anywhere? I was kinda not expecting anything award-winning when the subject was 'An actual person documents their experience traveling with the Punisher' If it's a first-hand story of a victim's experiences nowhere in any of that is 'Must be at least as good a writer as Ray Bradbury' popping out at me. If the story seems like it could be written better well that's what all the professionals at the newspaper office are for right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Have there been any significant Punisher/Deadpool interactions in the comics?

From googling, at least a little.

I can't give any voice about the quality of it though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly given how criminal Deadpool is I would be shocked if half their interactions didn't involve Deadpool being repeatedly shot. It's just that he keeps getting better.

Not even knowing that much about the character, I'm fairly sure most of his interactions with people besides Spiderman are them maiming him in some way most of the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Have Donnie Yen in Season 3 for no apparent reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

And man, that ending. On the one hand, I'm glad Matt told her he's DD. On the other hand, it was funny as hell because she figured out all kinds of mysteries during season one and two, and probably felt a little foolish that she overlooked what was right in front of her the whole time. I'm really curious if they're going to continue their romance next season. Personally I think Woll and Cox have great on-screen chemistry, and now that the characters don't work in the same small office maybe they'll give it another shot.

I can't really blame her since she never even got brought up to speed like everyone else re: 'I can hear and touch things so well that I can tell what color fabrics are* and listen to people's heartbeats.'

You know that, you know the boxing thing and maybe you could put two and two together.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Those gangsters at the beginning that the Punisher massacred were really dumb. I think.

The smart move would be to hit the ground when someone starts opening fire on you right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kraps posted:

How are they gonna up the ante for Hallway Fight Third Edition? Train roof? Mountainside? Skydive?

They're either going to add a bear or a gorilla into the mix.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

The Black Sky thing isn't new, by the way. The boy that Stick killed last season was also a Black Sky.

No one ever explained why he was so dangerous and had to be put down back then either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't have any problem with the acting either season but the characters and plots were where they started to lose me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

I thought Karen was fine through the entire season, her worst moment was probably walking in on fully-clothed Matt, bedridden Elektra, and creepy old Stick and immediately thinking "orgy", or whatever.

Yeah, if she'd just been like 'And I went over to his apartment yesterday and there's an old man slicing an apple sitting on the couch and some woman in Matt's bed, dirty sheets balled up in the corner. I can't take the secrets anymore, he won't tell me or Foggy anything for some reason.' that would've been fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, if she'd just been like 'And I went over to his apartment yesterday and there's an old man slicing an apple sitting on the couch and some woman in Matt's bed, dirty sheets balled up in the corner. I can't take the secrets anymore, he won't tell me or Foggy anything for some reason.' that would've been fine.

drat, I meant to say bloody instead of dirty.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I don't think it was about sex, but about Matt having this completely insane secret life that he refused to speak up about to the detriment of her and Fogey's lives and careers.

It was presented so poorly that that's the take people got from it though is the thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A lot of people thought this season was going to be dumber than it turned out to be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm hoping it's the other way round and Matt need's Foggy's help. The show's constant bleating that the law is great and we should go by it kind of falls flat if it only goes the other way round and Matt has to circumvent it at will to gently caress people up, instead of occasionally using it to do so. Him giving that one cop the Punisher's arrest already feels off to me because of it.

Well he did that so people will, hopefully, believe in the justice system instead of putting their faith in just leaving vigilantes to sort out the crime problem with their own two hands like Frank has been doing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

Exactly. He had to fake the public in to believing it because Frank came along and made vigilantism look bad. The cops and law couldn't get any kind of real win on their own so he had to step in.

I think it was the straight murdering that was more to blame than making vigilantism look bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Rent paid. She's getting her rent paid indefinitely. :cripes:

This is why I watch tv with the subtitles on. :)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inkspot posted:

I love when Matt slaps the table. It (almost) covers up him calling out Fisk on his bullshit about the city being "out of his hands" for the time being, and it gives Matt a clearer view of the room and his surroundings before he brings up Vanessa. Everything about it screams Daredevil.

AW poo poo, I didn't catch that at all, that's loving radical!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Just finished season 2 finally, why did Matt become a dog after the roof battle? Could not stop laughing at him loving barking.

That gunshot hosed with his hearing and then he went deaf after the glass fell. The rest was just freaking out because out of nowhere, after decades of being able to 'see' in some way, he was actually a normal blind person and he needed to get some help.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

It's almost like the ninjas are mysterious and secretive!

It's almost like some people like their mysteries to eventually be solved!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Na'at posted:

It must be absolutely miserable to watch TV and need every plot point or mystery wrapped up episodically or within a single season.

Then again Dexter had stupid self contained seasons and it went on for loving ever so what do I know people must love that poo poo

I don't need everything to be wrapped up and solved every episode like an episode of Scooby Doo, I just want to know what the gently caress the motivations are. Stick shows up to stop a Black Sky from being delivered, a kid is killed for being a Black Sky, the Hand are worshipping Elektra as their new deity for being a Black Sky- why is it that wanting someone to take a moment and say in plain terms what 'Black Sky' means so wrong? Is it just a title for the new leader of the Hand? Is the Black Sky going to lead them to world domination? Will discovering the Black Sky be the key to immortality? If I know what exactly it is that they're doing then I can stop being irritated that I don't feel I know what's happening anymore.

Anyway, Matt's ridiculous flip kicks were dumb and took at lot of impact out of the ninja fights.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

You realize that not being told what the hell is going on or what the real stakes are is exactly what Stick has done to both of them and therefore now we are right there with them and I's probably supposed to make us mad at Stick but nah he's cool.

Oh so Stick's the one to blame for Matt's inability to clue in his :airquote:friends:airquote: about the dangerous poo poo that's going on in his life. This basically applied before too but gently caress Stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radish posted:

In Batman TAS there's one episode where Robin is getting pissed at Batman and starts questioning his methods after seeing him beat up a criminal in front of his kids. He eventually finds out that unbeknownst to him afterwards as Bruce Wayne, Batman got that same guy a job at Waynecorp and was helping him turn his life around. In super hero stuff it's hard to show that kind of thing where the regular criminals are actual people and not just monsters so it was nice that they did something to show that in a cartoon about beating up bad guys and saving the city from nukes or other things. It's why TAS is really the only incarnation of Batman I like since Bruce feels like an actual human with compassion.

The Brave and the Bold Batman is also excellent since he's basically a TMNT and loves doing his job. Also it's not growlly angry grim at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjG1HSSaGI