Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A sense of stakes is desperately lacking in the latter half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

This is pretty interesting. I definitely got the feeling that the Punisher's ending wasn't completely flushed out. He does so much to show the audience that he's just a broken psycho who will eventually end up hurting someone innocent. But after he mercilessly executes the final boss, he's on the rooftop at the end sniping ninjas and winking at the camera. I mean, DD risked both of their lives to prevent him from killing people when he could. I was like, "uh, did we learn nothing?!" Also, I didn't understand why the "Blacksmith" tried to get Castle killed in the park.

I think he might be right. Bernthal really went in to the Punisher thing 200% full-bore. That man threw himself into the role, and was really behind it in a way that's not super common; and he owned it on screen. I have no doubt they might have expanded his scenes greatly from a small arc to the main arc, esp. near the end where it felt like it left things answered and armed him up to straight up kick off a series.

Pretty sure Marvel saw a good thing and geared towards it, and is probably just letting the critical "The Punisher was the best thing in the season" to work it's way in a bit more before announcing the show. Not that I'm complaining about that, I'm very glad and a whole season of just Elektra would have been a let down.

Still an odd season for me; super uneven. Really good parts though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Finished season 2.

The Punisher stuff was amazing, but everything involving the Hand just lost me. Mainly because they kept calling Elektra the Black Sky but failed to even say what the gently caress that means. In their attempt to be mystical and overhanded with the destiny stuff, they've failed to state what importance the Black Sky even holds. No explanation as to why a group of teenagers would willingly join with the Hand to sell their life away, no explanation as to how Nobu kept on reviving, just nothing.

That's the worst of it, but then there's also the fact that we have no resolution with the Blacksmith. Frank just mindlessly murders everyone connected to what happened to his family, but we get no hint as to who is behind it all. I'm assuming we will get a season 3 to elaborate on it, but the lack of conclusive resolution really pisses me off. The last episode may as well just be a giant cliffhanger tease for season 3, as opposed to an actual season ending.

I don't even think MARVEL knows what Black Sky is, according to my reading/research.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

Just finished this up. I'm echoing other people when I say that the Punisher parts were the highlight of the season, and the Elektra/Ninja stuff kinda fell flat. I actually enjoyed it when it was Matt being the reluctant ally to Elektra because hey something worse is on the loose but after she leaves and almost gets killed by the french dude it just sort of drags on.

I was honestly surprised that the DA really didn't have much to do with the overarching plot at all. I mean yeah she covered up a crime but she wasn't in league with anyone. She was corrupt but not dirty. I thought where they were going with the sting operation is that she ordered the undercover cop to open fire, but nothing really came out of it.

Overall it kinda feels like the mystical stuff is more of an order from on-high for their crossover material and the Punisher stuff was their original/main idea for the season.

Oh also I thought the Black Sky was something different in Season 1? Like there was definitely a kid named "Black Sky" they had earlier that they delivered by train. They said finding another one would be hard, but it feels like they retconned it so Elektra is the one A Black Sky, albeit a more powerful than average one, as I see it..

FTFY, according to my reading.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

My impression of this thread: "why wont the blonde bombshell date the obese goon :stwoon:"

I am not THAT fat, thank you very much!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Black Sky thing isn't new, by the way. The boy that Stick killed last season was also a Black Sky.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

The Black Sky thing isn't new, by the way. The boy that Stick killed last season was also a Black Sky.

No one ever explained why he was so dangerous and had to be put down back then either.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Which makes me think it was on purpose, rather than an accidental omission.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It feels to me that Matt's non-killing ethos is constantly being proven incorrect in front of him. Frank, Elektra, Stick, villains, and even Karen seem to kill all the bad guys that are too problematic to be kept around leaving him to take the high ground about not being a murderer while directly benefiting from the killings. Fisk is doing exactly what Frank said he would and has already gotten a ton of people killed. Did Matt REALLY think the New York prison system that allowed the Punisher, the second most high profile criminal it had, to literally just walk out with no one questioning how to be able to handle Nobu, the magical zombie leader of the Hand?? I think the problem is that comic books need these over the top monsters as villains and a justice system that lets them constantly walk free in order to keep making interesting stories which really doesn't gel with a more real world approach to capital punishment and extra judicial justice.

Frank leaving the jail kinda gets into my issue with the tail end of the season feeling rushed. Frank escaping possibly with the help of Fisk is fine since he needed to get back into the field, but prison guards having the ability to just walk a guy out with a pat on the back seems like a huge security issue that needed to be addressed and shouldn't just be written off as "it's a tv show" specifically in one that is trying to make the argument of "leave the vigilantes out of the justice system." It's like they were running out of time and just gave it a quick scene to get the ball rolling again.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 28, 2016

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have to say, I've never read one, but all the stuff from the Daredevil comics mentioned ITT sounds terrible. Deadshot killing all Matts girlfriends? Karen selling his secret identity for heroin? Endless Hand Ninjas?

Really hope the show runners aren't too beholden to the stuff that happens in the comics.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Quite frankly I PERSONALLY (so I'm not saying that as a fact before people get angry) think super hero comic books are largely terrible and only become decent once a talented screen writer makes them work for TV or movies (and even they often fail). Comic books have fun ideas but a lot of what is in them is really dumb and poorly written. It takes packaging them into a TV season or a 110 minute movie that appeals to a larger audience to bring out the good. I usually grab a bunch of samples on Free Comic Book day and think after reading them if THAT is what is supposed to get me hooked I don't really need to go any further.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 28, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Radish posted:

trying to make the argument of "leave the vigilantes out of the justice system".

Well Daredevil had to hand the Punisher to a cop to make it work publicly even in show, which should tell you how much that's worth. I always wonder how that guy's partner felt when she came back from cuffing the Punisher and Daredevil was gone, only for her partner to say "Yea, I'm taking this collar. Daredevil said I should. We're bros".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Radish posted:

Frank leaving the jail kinda gets into my issue with the tail end of the season feeling rushed. Frank escaping possibly with the help of Fisk is fine since he needed to get back into the field, but prison guards having the ability to just walk a guy out with a pat on the back seems like a huge security issue that needed to be addressed and shouldn't just be written off as "it's a tv show" specifically in one that is trying to make the argument of "leave the vigilantes out of the justice system." It's like they were running out of time and just gave it a quick scene to get the ball rolling again.

Yeah I really would have preferred if they'd dedicated Frank's scenes in one episode to just making a jail break but yeah, they needed to move him on :shrug:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Radish posted:

Quite frankly I PERSONALLY (so I'm not saying that as a fact before people get angry) think super hero comic books are largely terrible and only become decent once a talented screen writer makes them work for TV or movies (and even they often fail). Comic books have fun ideas but a lot of what is in them is really dumb and poorly written. It takes packaging them into a TV season or a 110 minute movie that appeals to a larger audience to bring out the good. I usually grab a bunch of samples on Free Comic Book day and think after reading them if THAT is what is supposed to get me hooked I don't really need to go any further.

Now I wouldn't go quite that far, there are definitely good comics out there, like 2000AD. But yes most superhero poo poo is awful and can only be improved on by tv/movie adaptations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

marktheando posted:

Now I wouldn't go quite that far, there are definitely good comics out there, like 2000AD. But yes most superhero poo poo is awful and can only be improved on by tv/movie adaptations.

Yeah there's definitely good stuff, I'm enjoying Ms Marvel right now. I didn't mean to say they are ALL bad at all sorry if that came across just that it feels like a majority of it isn't great.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yes, sturgeon's law applies to comic books and adaptations that can pick and choose from decades of stuff along with their own ideas probably have a higher hit rate than most stuff. This shouldn't be surprising. Sturgeon's law applies to everything after all.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

marktheando posted:

I have to say, I've never read one, but all the stuff from the Daredevil comics mentioned ITT sounds terrible. Deadshot killing all Matts girlfriends? Karen selling his secret identity for heroin? Endless Hand Ninjas?

Really hope the show runners aren't too beholden to the stuff that happens in the comics.
That's just Frank Miller. Only Zack Snyder takes him at face value when adapting his work. Sin City was pretty close, too, but it never got its sequel(s).

Miller pre-empted this season of Daredevil by saying that the Elektra in it was not the one he created, which is about the biggest endorsement you can get.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Radish posted:

It feels to me that Matt's non-killing ethos is constantly being proven incorrect in front of him. Frank, Elektra, Stick, villains, and even Karen seem to kill all the bad guys that are too problematic to be kept around leaving him to take the high ground about not being a murderer while directly benefiting from the killings. Fisk is doing exactly what Frank said he would and has already gotten a ton of people killed. Did Matt REALLY think the New York prison system that allowed the Punisher, the second most high profile criminal it had, to literally just walk out with no one questioning how to be able to handle Nobu, the magical zombie leader of the Hand?? I think the problem is that comic books need these over the top monsters as villains and a justice system that lets them constantly walk free in order to keep making interesting stories which really doesn't gel with a more real world approach to capital punishment and extra judicial justice.

It's not as unrealistic as you might think. Criminals walk out of Orleans Parish Jail all the drat time.

Maybe that was their inspiration.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like Matt should have gone into the correctional system instead of law if he wanted to really make a difference.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 28, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Samizdata posted:

I don't even think MARVEL knows what Black Sky is, according to my reading/research.

The Hand get their magic from making deals with various powerful demons, and one of their big plots is to summon them into the real world. That's probably what they need a Black Sky for, but in Shadowland they ended up corrupting Daredevil for a host.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

I mean that's Frank Miller and you gotta take the good with the bad with that guy. The bad being women are killed, killers, or prostitutes. Who also get killed.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Finished the season over the weekend and I really enjoyed it, far more than Jessica Jones, but it sounds like all my greivances with the season are pretty universal.

The first half of the season is great, The Punisher is definitely the driving force and the conspiracy against him is engaging. But then they just seem to flip a switch and jump from Punisher VS the mob to Elektra VS the Hand and it totally looses steam. Then in the last two episodes it feels like they forgot that they had to wrap up the Punisher in some manner, and so we get this clumsy Blacksmith stuff.

Good season but I really think not keeping The Punisher story as the main thread hurt it. Also Foggy still sucks, this guy playing him is the dirt worst actor I've seen in a long time and I actively watch pro wrestling.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Require More Fire posted:

Good season but I really think not keeping The Punisher story as the main thread hurt it. Also Foggy still sucks, this guy playing him is the dirt worst actor I've seen in a long time and I actively watch pro wrestling.

I dunno, I kinda like Foggy, and every time Matt is a complete dick to him, I genuinely feel bad for him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't have any problem with the acting either season but the characters and plots were where they started to lose me.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I really enjoyed Punisher S1 ft. Karen, Foggy & Daredevil, myself

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just finished S2. The jail was certainly the peak of the series. Karen felt really useless for most of the season, and The Hand stuff felt really... not that well explained and kind of stupid and pointless. Also, the ending of the Blacksmith storyline didn't really give a sense of closure. I am excited for next season though. The last few scenes were some nice setups.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm trying to wrap my mind around all the Karen criticisms. Sure she had a lot of scenes but, again, they were either character development or they over the plot forward in significant ways.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just finished S2. The jail was certainly the peak of the series. Karen felt really useless for most of the season, and The Hand stuff felt really... not that well explained and kind of stupid and pointless. Also, the ending of the Blacksmith storyline didn't really give a sense of closure. I am excited for next season though. The last few scenes were some nice setups.

Right now, I would rather just have a Punisher series.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I thought Karen was fine through the entire season, her worst moment was probably walking in on fully-clothed Matt, bedridden Elektra, and creepy old Stick and immediately thinking "orgy", or whatever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought Karen was fine through the entire season, her worst moment was probably walking in on fully-clothed Matt, bedridden Elektra, and creepy old Stick and immediately thinking "orgy", or whatever.

Yeah, if she'd just been like 'And I went over to his apartment yesterday and there's an old man slicing an apple sitting on the couch and some woman in Matt's bed, dirty sheets balled up in the corner. I can't take the secrets anymore, he won't tell me or Foggy anything for some reason.' that would've been fine.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

A blind guy can't even have a kinky three way in NYC without being judged anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, if she'd just been like 'And I went over to his apartment yesterday and there's an old man slicing an apple sitting on the couch and some woman in Matt's bed, dirty sheets balled up in the corner. I can't take the secrets anymore, he won't tell me or Foggy anything for some reason.' that would've been fine.

Yeah, I'll admit, it kinda felt like that scene was written without Stick being around, but they couldn't figure out how to let her into the apartment, so along comes Stick.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

RareAcumen posted:

That's my issue with it. The situation was actually *even weirder* than the thought Matt likes banging out randos all weekend. Karen reacting as if that's what she saw is the least dramatically interesting choice.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Also, maybe I'm getting old and dull but I thought the gore was unnecessarily over the top this season. I know it's THE PUNISHER but some of the stuff was just...gruesome for the sake of being gruesome. I could live without hearing metal-on-bone as someone gets a sai through the orbital.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Also, maybe I'm getting old and dull but I thought the gore was unnecessarily over the top this season. I know it's THE PUNISHER but some of the stuff was just...gruesome for the sake of being gruesome. I could live without hearing metal-on-bone as someone gets a sai through the orbital.

To be completely honest, I would have been perfectly content with the season not having Electra at all and was sad that they showed the open grave at the end. Having a few MOTW padding episodes to introduce some new minor characters or villains would have been nice. Although I did like when they covered What happened with the Kingpin since last season

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Matt getting totally clowned by Fist after trying to threaten him was the best scene of the season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daredevil's version of Fisk is top-notch in how they continue to balance weakness and strength. It really works so much better than the comic version where he's on 24/7 and emphasizes his moments of terrifying brutality a lot better.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Finished the season over the weekend and I really enjoyed it, far more than Jessica Jones, but it sounds like all my greivances with the season are pretty universal.

The first half of the season is great, The Punisher is definitely the driving force and the conspiracy against him is engaging. But then they just seem to flip a switch and jump from Punisher VS the mob to Elektra VS the Hand and it totally looses steam. Then in the last two episodes it feels like they forgot that they had to wrap up the Punisher in some manner, and so we get this clumsy Blacksmith stuff.

I don't think the Punisher story, as engaging as it was, had enough content to last an entire season. In fact, the main reason it was so engaging was because it was packed into four or five episodes.

One thing that would have helped was if they introduced Elektra sooner, perhaps as early as episode two. That way, it would have felt less like "OK, we wrapped up Punisher, now onto the next plot point!" She could have visited Nelson & Murdock as a potential client, introduce herself to Karen as Matt's ex, have Matt turn her down and send her away, only to later sign her up as a "private client." That would have been more engaging, and would have fueled Karen's anger when she found Elektra at Matt's apartment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

drat, I meant to say bloody instead of dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't think it was about sex, but about Matt having this completely insane secret life that he refused to speak up about to the detriment of her and Fogey's lives and careers.