Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Third episode, not what I expected when i saw the spoilers. Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, how much overlap is there between the creative teams of the four series? Because if teh Iron Dragon one is even close to this, it's going to kick so much rear end!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Am I am on episode 6, still holding out for Stilt-Man.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They are definitely drawing a lot from Miller, but I hope they manage to stay clear of his more dubious stuff . So far it's looking pretty good though.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, I just hit the first bump. That entire dialog between Fisk and Matt was cliche central and not a very interesting take on it.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 11, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

cams posted:

why do people keep saying "iron dragon" it's iron fist
:psyduck:
I don't even know, Danny Rand is one of my favorite heroes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, Fisk is one of the weaker elements of the show. Not per se bad, but it's all been done, and, for some parts, overdone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Soonmot posted:

Basically, I just really hope to see Bride of Nine Spider and The Prince of Orphans on screen.

That's actually a possibility. What a time to be alive! :allears:

Also, i am on episode 8 know and the series kinda starts to lose me.

edit: and episode 9 brought me right back. drat.

e X fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 11, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dead Like Rev posted:

1x03

Holy gently caress did he really just impale himself on that jesus christ wtf

As great as that scene is, it would have been nice if we had actually seen something to back this up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This show has many advantages over the CW shows, but one obvious is the fact that it actually knows how to handle the whole secret identity thing and make it count. Fogy just found out and the actually make the reveal count. It's great how much this actually changes the dynamic of the entire series. It also helped that they actually gave the Karen and Foggy a subplot of their own that actually mattered.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oh hey, Episode 10 has a Roxxon name drop.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just finished episode 13 and honestly, I think the series peaked in the middle. The third arc just isn't as strong as the second one, mostly because I think the weird double final was unnecessary. There was no need for Matt and Fisk to face off after his empire was more or less dismantled.

It was also weirdly anticlimactic. To elaborate, I feel that scene in the truck was a mistake. 'We have people everywhere' is generally overused and while I can accept a local crimelord, and that is what Fisk is at this point, buying of local law enforcement and officials, but literally having enough power to have a small army break him out in the middle of New York and holding off any reenforcement was just too much. It also doesn't really make sense given the plot of the series. It was repeatedly shown that while he had influence, but also limits. For example, I really liked that it was the secretary, not the EiC in the end who was the mole. He wasn't all powerful, he couldn't do it all on his own, he needed allies and could be thwarted. But that last scene basically made him the Joker in Dark Knight, a guy who literally ones everyone everywhere. Having him then go down in a fistfight in an alley, only too be re-arrested was kind of a letdown.I also think it would have mashed better with the rest of the series if it actually was conventional method that brought him down in the end, that Daredevil was only one gear in the process, if a necessary and important one, but that the real victors were Matt, Foggy, Karen and ultimately Ben. It would have given the series a theme different from the Big Man narrative that basically every other Superhero story has.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mr.capps posted:

He was always a criminal mastermind and a scared little boy. The arc is him getting confidence from Vennsea to come out of the shadows and realizing he was deluding himself.

Yeah. To counteract my criticism above, the Vanessa story was really great, especially that she the fact that she is as unmoral as he is, if not more so.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think Alias will probably be the weakest one out of the bunch, but that is mostly because I think the source material is pretty weak.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, I thought Foggy's anger was competently understandable, because, unlike other shows, they actually explained why he had such a problem with Matt being a vigilant.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

jivjov posted:

I know nothing about the geography of the New York skyline...should Stark/Avengers Tower have been visible at any point? I didn't notice it at all, and I figured they would have jumped at the chance to have it show up in the background.

I don't know about the series itself, but you can see it here.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I'd love to see this series take on Bullseye, since his abilities can be very interesting and I imagine he would be somewhere been his 616 and Max incarnations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

Wait, so the Hand has a connection to the hidden cities?

No, they are their own, separated thing.

edit: Ha, I didn't even notice.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Steve Yun posted:

Everything was going so great and then the last half hour of the last episode happened. Such a paint-by-numbers ending.

Also the costume sucks. Gimme back the black t-shirt over his head any day.

The worst part about the costume is how much is squashes Charlie Cox's face together. It makes him look really goofy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Karen is so good that her existence actively makes Iris Allen and Season one and two Laurel Lance worse than they already are.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

teagone posted:

I'm watching Daredevil 2003 right now. Yeesh.

Colin Farrell is one of those rare cases were he is terrible at portraying the character he is supposed to be but just to much fun to hate

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobkatt013 posted:

They will most likely go with the junkie part or something similar as it is part of one of Daredevil best and most famous storylines.
His true identity is sold for some drugs and the Kingpin finds out about it. He then uses that info to destroy Matt's life.

Yeah, the allusions they made throughout the series about her former life really spell criminal junkie in large letters.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did Magneto turn New York into a concentration camp before or after this?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BrianWilly posted:

Tony: "Hey why didn't you call me during the Hydra takeover"
Steve: "...Because we're not actually friends?"

There.

Yeah, people tend to conflate their own, comic inspired versions of the characters with their movie counterparts. At the end of the Avengers, these people were colleagues at best.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

-Blackadder- posted:

Also since it's been mentioned, The Punisher is actually a really compelling character when written correctly. Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher Marvel Knights and especially The Punisher MAX are some of the best written comic books period. And Jason Aaron's run on Punisher MAX is also really, really good.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So I guess whatever supernatural poo poo is brewing will be the plot for the Defenders.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 19, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, just finished the last episode and I have to say, I kind of didn't care for Elektra. A character that is introduced midway through the season, doesn't interact with anybody but Matt and with whom even he only really had a very superficial relationship is not something you can really build the emotional foundation of your series on.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Poor Shades, he just wants to be a cool henchman, but no one will let him :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, episode 10 is fantastic!