Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, Marvel has that one infamous comic where some satanic transdemensional being impregnates an avenger with mind control, she gives birth to a kid, the kid grows up to be the rapey dude, then they all think it's charming and she goes off with him for another side-order of mind-controlled rape for years, now with the added mother angle.

I'm not really exaggerating, if anything, I'm underselling it. It was kind of hilarious though.

That was hosed up in a different way. IIRC that wasn't deliberately wrong and disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Comics are a wonderful medium because absolutely anything can happen in them and the use of sequential pictures to tell a story is basic as to be universal. That's my thoughts, peace.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ChickenMedium posted:

Ignoring you unwarranted shot at all comics, they're like 12 pages long. Not even the most ADHD ravaged, smartphone-addicted, video game-obsessed 12-year-old has an attention span too short for a comic book.

And if the comic book is too long, then the comic strip has you covered.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Fitting the original Fox Fantastic Four films into the "afraid to be a superhero film" group feels like revisionism. Outside of Cloud Galactus, the Fantastic Four movies were lighthearted, jokey, had costumes directly lifted from the comics (even Doom, who has basically nothing else in common), basically exactly what people say they would want out of an MCU FF film.

The problem is that the writing is horrible, and nobody working on the films seemed to have realized that every single problem is directly caused by the Fantastic Four, even moreso than superhero standards. The first Fantastic Four film is my least favorite superhero movie I've ever sit through, because it feels like watching a bunch of douchebags. I know "how about they write a nonshit script?" seems like stating obvious, but there it is!

edit: Also there was that whole messed up thing about Jessica Alba being told to "act whiter".

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 20, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

The real problem with FF movies is they keep trying to do them as these complete checklist movies. Like they start with the idea that the need a scene and a mini-arc showing off each of the four's powers. And the use the same basic "they have to learn to use their powers together" general arc.

Yes, that's exactly it. That's what I was kinda referring to when I said "douchebags faffing around" earlier. It also creates this dumb situation where the only problems the heroes resolve for the entire film are the one's they started themselves. It's like if the Human Torch saved people from a building he set on fire.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

Let's try to head this off at the pass:

fetishize-- have an excessive and irrational commitment to or obsession with (something).

The trailer is 90% focused on Jessica's relationship to Killgrave. That's not indicative of the final product and no one is saying as much-- my exact words were that it's a thin line between playing up the dramatic arc of the story and making that aspect of the story the sole focus. It's not a crime or indicative of poor quality if that does come to pass, and it's not idiotic to raise an eyebrow at that potential.

I did forget I was in TVIV when I brought up those thoughts. Much as I love y'all sometimes the reputation it has as an echo chamber that can't handle the slightest form of deviance from the collective consensus is justified.

So you want the forum to be CineD instead? Because I think you're succeeding!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

Go back to jerking off and saying Hype then.

Eat a dick.

In a vacuum you're right, but as Marvel's first female-led project it would rightfully raise an eyebrow if the entire focus was about her relationship to an abusive man. Kind-of like how nothing about Black Widow's hysterectomy and romance in Age of Ultron was bad on its own, but starts to become problematic when you realize she's the forefront representative of women in the movie/Marvel projects as a whole and all her arcs relate to who she's loving and whether or not she can be a mommy.

This is most funny because holy poo poo I actually like the trailer, want to see the show, and think overall it's going to turn out fine but you point out even a tiny reservation that isn't complete endorsement and suddenly the whole thread starts freaking out.

By the same token if nobody tried to argue against the fetishism angle it would also be a circlejerk, just one in your favor.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Sharmat posted:

Goons analyze TV .txt

Needs more fascism.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Jesus I forgot how dumb the fetish talk was before the show released could you guys not bring it back now that it's actually out?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

If they are working for good, if their goals are what we would consider socially worthwhile, like getting an innocent girl freed as opposed to, say, building a huge meth empire, then they aren't anti heroes.

Because I absolutely have to :goonsay: over Breaking Bad, Walt was a villain protagonist. He always believed his motivation was to help his family (a good goal!), but the point of the show was that was a lie and he just wanted to be really evil.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Jessica Jones almost drunkenly murders a women while trying to intimidate her into acquiescing in a lawsuit.

"Not an anti-hero."

Google tells me this is a TvTropes thing. :smugjones:

I mean it in a very literal way. If Walter White is your baseline of an antihero you're going to have a really short list outside of like Hannibal Lecter from the Hannibal show (and the movie where Hannibal cries over his dead sister wouldn't make it).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Sharmat posted:

Saying that just indicates how much toxic masculinity you have.

Make this the new response to everything in this thread, tyvm.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

Au contrare she is abusing her self!

Also if you guys aren't interested in psychosexual gender role analysis of this show bad news: it's the whole point of the show.

I think the point is that leaning on "man bad woman good" level of analysis is doing a disservice to the show.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Sharmat posted:

Even if we accept that this is the case, protagonists being wrong and changing their minds is not bad writing. Unless the only media you consume are comics and cartoons, I guess.

Kind of an inappropriate place to make that burn, don't you think?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

*bangs fists on table* "Excuse me the female protagonist in this heavily thematic show about abuse, survival and redemption is not doing what I, a mid-20's white male would do to maximize effectiveness and even has a character to make fun of me for thinking it, yet I cannot stop saying Simpson was right!"

Why do you assume everyone on this forum is a young white dude? I'm an asian woman, and even the white males on this forum are, like, mid thirties dads.

Man, I'm actually getting peeved over this. Anyone who criticizes a thing has to be mentally male? Not liking something (not even the whole thing! Just one part!) is a sign of toxic masculinity?

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 30, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm just kinda mystified that you're envisioning a wave of young hip dudebros populating this thread when the term "dying forum" isn't a joke for no reason.

HIJK posted:

It's true. You are Eliot Rodgers. Your real identity doesn't matter because everyone is white on the internet.

Yes, it's clearly my fault for being a Bad Woman and holding white man opinions. I'm like a swole banana.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 30, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

I want everyone who thinks that "Simpson was ultimately right" to explain what the gently caress they mean by that.

It was in the previous page of posts. :shrug: Honestly I think the sentiment is more leaking dissatisfaction from the pacing (which is the larger problem) more than anything else. From a viewer's perspective it's hard not to feel "man I wish this dude keeled over 4 episodes ago" so some take it literally. Guy gives them an out and they take it.

(I realize I'm comparing watching a show to a chore, but I'm not so good at watching series. :v:)

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 30, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

I'm sorry if I conflated people's opinions or posts, but there are a lot of posters in here who were saying that literally Simpson should've snipered Kilgrave from afar, bam, show over. More people who didn't understand why Jessica/Simpson/someone didn't just straight up kill Kilgrave at various points, ignoring the thematic connections between Jessica and Hope.

I thought I was the atavistic patriarchal poster? :confused:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Sharmat posted:

I like how Simpson gets no sympathy for breaking down after being mindraped because he's a dude and the only ones that do sympathize with him miss the whole point of the show.

Yeah that's weird too.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Sharmat posted:

And that's good.

But a character that is nothing but an archetype or a deconstruction of an archetype, like Simpson is being boiled down to in this thread, is a poo poo character. I think people are forgetting how genuinely distraught he was when he thought he'd killed Trish, to the extent that he was bringing a battering ram to the door to verify the presence of a body at the risk of hugely incriminating himself.

I think it's just an exaggerated counter reaction to the Nuke was Right opinion, so now he has to be a Tvtropes-esque walking clever point (which would have been poo poo writing in a different way).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Especially the head.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Sharmat posted:

He's being stripped to a bare MRA strawman by some people is what I'm talking about. Seems disproportional. And the comparison isn't just with Jessica, but with all Kilgrave's victims.

I think people in this thread at least are just getting a little too in love with the "lol red pill" joke. I mean, it's funny, but it's like how "man, Stormtroopers never seemed to hit anything" gradually turned into Stormtroopers not being able to hit a wall from the inside of the room.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

No one is denying he's a fully realized character but discussion of his thematic purpose isn't gleefully sticking it to MRAs.

What about that "if you hold any sympathy for this character you're supporting toxic masculinity" stuff that started this whole thread? And got me called a white dude? Like the person saying "he's not actually Hitler" isn't talking out of nowhere.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 1, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

None of those things happened.

It did though. Like I don't know what else I can do since that's what literally happened.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

XboxPants posted:

If it helps, I believe the toxic masculinity quote was one of those "joke" things you hear about sometimes.

The original toxic masculinity comment didn't really feel like a joke (it seemed like a sincere attempt at pulling a "well maybe that says something about YOU"), and neither did the one saying I had backwards worldviews about violence and women. But, like, you're already making fun of me so I don't think I can do anything more.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 1, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

XboxPants posted:

Point taken, I'll ratchet it back. I'm not sure what all else was a joke, and it sucks that someone assumed you (or whoever it was, I often ignore usernames) was a white dude (honestly I'm glad if the forum has diversified because there was a time when it truly WAS almost entirely white guys), and we could dig into these issues if you like, but at some point we're not even discussing the show anymore and just having a discussion of forum politics.

Bleh I really didn't want to bring up my gender in posting (like you I remember it having really bad stigma against it) but I got tired of the "if you were a WOMAN you would think differently".

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

Well... that escalated quickly.

He has a point in that most Goon suggestions for avoiding race controversy are kinda terrible. I remember people seriously suggesting Black Panther be part British too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gyges posted:

I thought it was Hera and Poseidon loving with Odysseys and Athena was on his side. It's been a long rear end time since I read it though.

Yeah Athena is pretty much the only person in the entire epic to give Odysseus a break. That and his dog, for like two seconds.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 17, 2015