Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
WTF is up with the subtitles? I've just watched an episode where half of it was in Russian, a scene in Spanish and nothing to help me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure theyw ere supposed to be subtitled, there were huge swathes of ep4 in Russian.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
An now we're back to an episode with a huge chunk in Spanish.

This is ridiculous.

I don't understand why some people seem to have subtitles for the foreign parts, some people have some subtitles and I have none.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Drifter posted:

I really only have seen the (more than) occasional Chinese and Russian subs. When Kingpin's getting Chinese spoken to him his assistant translates for him, and there are no subs when someone translates.

so in 1x7 when Karen and the old lady are talking in spanish did you get any subs?

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Drifter posted:

Yes. At 31 minutes in. That entire conversation.

But I don't get subtitles when say, Foggy's in the room (not the same episode) and he gets it translated for him by Matt or Karen.

Netflix can get hosed then, I didn't get any subtitles when they were turned on in the app, I didn't get any subtitles when they were turned off in the app.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
1x10 is probably one of my favourite episodes of anything ever.

I wonder how they are going to do this. Daredevil is easily good enough (and deep enough) to have many more series to comes but I doubt Netflix want to tie themselves to doing sequels for all 4 of the new series.

I think Jessica Drew will be watchable but I'm expecting Tennant to steal the show and Luke Cage should be good enough with the fella they have playing them. I'll be curious how they differentiate Daredevil and Iron Fist as large parts of Daredevil could easily be an Iron Fist series.

I wonder if they want to keep doing sequels for these though or move on to other heroes...Punisher is an obvious one but so is someone like Moon Knight (who was alluded to in a throwaway comment in Cap 2), Namor and Madrox.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
So people see them going full mystic with the Iron Fist series?

I'm not so sure. It might all come off a little Mortal Komabt-y! Even if Strange comes out before the series I doubt they'll have bought enough to go all 'THERES ALL THESE CITIES IN HEAVEN GUYS'.

Then again marvel haven't disappointed me so far so it'll probably be amazing whatever they do.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I think it's pretty obvious at this point that my only real exposure to iron Fist (oo-er) is through crossover related stuff and Heroes for Hire, I've never really seen him in his mystic mode.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I think showing him more courtroom only really makes sense in a 'I'm not Daredevil' type storyline. If they were doing a 'villain of the week' kind of approach like a 24 episode series I could see it but I don't really see where there is so much room. It's better for it to be rare and have real impact (like with the events in this series) than get into a situation where he is in court and you're waiting for him to hurry up and get back to punching ninjas.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I'll be really annoyed if Iron Fist isn't a black transgender feminist with strong right and left leanings who writes poetry about his soul and listens to Bangra.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Man of Tai Chi was hilarious.

'YOU OWE ME A LIFE!'

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
One thing I did really like was Wesley's 'If he had a suit or a magic hammer' line. Obviously it was pretty funny but it kind of showed that despite the jaw dropping awesomness of the events in the MCU, essentially it just doesn't mean much to the people on the streets. The likes of Iron man and Captain America are basically like the Kardashians...everyone knows who they are and they seem to do a lot of things but they aren't really impacting anything on a real basis.

It's a side of comics I've always been pretty interested in. I think it is in Civil War where there are quite a few allusions to the fact that for the average joe, they'd probably go their entire life without meeting a super hero despite the fact the world seems full of them.

Makes you wonder who is making the biggest difference, people like Cap protecting the world from threats it never knows about or people like Daredevil who are stopping that kid getting sold to slavers.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
To be fair in Cap 2 it sounded like Hydra where really only a threat to other gifted individuals. Me? I'm bang average, I'd have been fine.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
It's true, even on the ridiculous scale of things, for all the genius of your Reed Richards and Tony Starks the general quality of life seems to be just as poo poo in comics as it is in reality.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Yeah, Dr Doom mourned the random death of innocents.

DR DOOM

And Cap went and murdered some terrorists in the New Deal.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

tsob posted:

Someday there'll be a mental health professional who'll go to Arkham and not be insane or driven insane by the experience of working with disturbed patients. Or a state that will legislate execution for repeat offense super-villains and just given them a cyanide jab when they go to jail instead of a good night's sleep and a place to plan their next move. Or just some concerned citizens calling for such measures because they're tired of losing their homes to random attacks every few months. And someday the Avengers/FF might start advocating for mutant rights in an active manner by holding rallies and making tv appearances and poo poo, rather than just taking on some mutants occasionally and calling it a day.

Really, their worlds are pretty loving lovely places to be living.

Reminds me of a question asked by a random EMTin..again, civil war I think. They were at Stamford and they were taling about when it becomes Spidermans fault that the Green Goblin kills people because he keeps sending them to prison, they keep breaking out and seeking revenge, then he sends them back to the prison they just broke out of etc

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Which brings us back on topic! loving smooth :cheers:

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Solaris Knight posted:

http://blog.netflix.com/2015/04/netflix-begins-audio-description-for.html?m=1

TLDR Netflix gave in and decided to add audio descriptions for the blind, which is a good move but really should have been there on Friday.

I have a bit of sympathy for them on this, it clearly isn't malicious or anything, it just didn't occur to people because..no-one involved was actually blind.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
They definitely had banner on the list, Sitwell says so.

Clearly didn't know much about banners condition.

Youre not supposed to think of the other avengers in the solo films though remember, we're supposed to pretend they don't exist.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I did wonder in 1x9/1x10 when DD has his confrontation with Fisk and Nobu why no-one just took a swab of his blood. I mean it was everywhere. A quick run through a DNA database and bang, Murdock is outed big styley.

Obviously one of those things you have to forgive but I'd have been all over that poo poo.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
If he's passed the bar in America they definitely have his fingerprints on file...but it didn't even occur anyone. Like everyone must have assumed 'this highly trained violent vigilante can't have had any criminal past, no point in checking.'

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Yeah I meant that more as a Murdock is definitely in some system somewhere.

Look, just let me pretend I'm smarter than these fictional characters will you!

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I thought Daredevil was a better Batman series than anything Nolan did in his three films.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

jivjov posted:

For me, I feel that the Netflix method of just dumping the whole season at once really ruins any kind of suspense. Can't really have an effective cliffhanger when you can just start up the next episode right away.

The whole point is that you DON'T have to artificially produce cliffhangers or rely on 'monster of the week' guff in order to get people to watch the next episode.

Instead you can keep to the important stuff. I much, much prefer it this way.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
They don't call him Green Arrow because the show has the colour palette of a greyscale printer.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I thought there was some stuff they did that was pretty different form most Superhero tropes - the conversation between Foggy and Matt when Foggy found out about his ex parte activities was really cool. it was much 'realer' than other instances of the same situation in other films or series I thought, especially when they started throwing arguments and counter arguments across each other about their shared history etc. I've never really seen a hero taken to town like that by someone he knows I don't think.

Then obviously there's the fact that Daredevil spends most of the show getting the ever loving poo poo kicked out of him. I thought one of the main themes was showing what happens when you don't have the Suit, the Hammer or the SHIELD behind you. When you're just a talented guy trying to take things into your own hands...well, there are other talented guys out there too and some of them are going to kick the poo poo out of you. You'll never see Stark or Rogers get stabbed up like Daredevil did throughout the episodes.

The manipulation of the media was also very good. It wasn't just Jameson throwing out some headlines that upsets Toby Maguire, I was watching it and thinking 'yep, thats exactly how the news would react'. It was obviously a nod to how miserable Matt's life gets and the 'I'm not Daredevil' stuff but again, I don't think we've really seen the swing of political and media manipulation affect a hero like it did in this series. It actually had character building consequence.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I'm with you on the suit.

I'm especially annoyed that it showed you it on the Netflix selection menu.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Ebonnny and Ivoooorrry, ninja together in harmmmoonyyy

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
HIs costume would have been nigh on perfect if it was exactly what he wears for most of the show, but shaded red. I'd have been completely fine with that.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
When you consider that most heroes (male and female) are basically drawn naked and then coloured in it's something of a relief that they don't take too much inspiration from the comics.

Although that'll be a drat shame when the Ms Marvel film comes out.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Do we really need another cold, calculating 'ahaha! this was my plan all along!' descending into 'zounds! my one and only weakness was my own hubris! curses!' again?

We've seen it half a dozen times in the MCU already, I thought it was great that they put more into Fisk than just making him a criminal God until Daredevil beat him up enough. That seems like the easy way out to me, I enjoyed seeing both a hero and a villain who were both very human.

Marvel gets a lot of criticism for their one note villains (Ronan, Malekith, Hammer etc) and I thought this approach was great.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Yeah that was the impression I got. Blake set things up so Fisk could sneak his own men in.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Agreed, they earning the right to have him be a more comfortable comic book villain in later series.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Some of you argue about some drat silly things.

*Continues to read stuff about blind night ninja beating up bald fat guys*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Supervillains don't seem to go through due process.

Spiderman betas them up, leaves them for the police, next thing they are breaking out of Rikers.