Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

You have a weird definition of angry if you think people being impressed means they're angry.

It's possible to both impressed by a woman and upset that you didn't get to see her rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if it's bad :ohdear:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

notthegoatseguy posted:

MCU Stan Lee has had like a dozen or so jobs since 2008 AND has been to space. Dude gets around.

They're all brothers, it's like the nurse from Pokemon

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm interested in the idea that Luke Cage is going to be a more publicly known super hero. I think that's gonna be a neat twist on the formula, that locals know who he is and support his super heroing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm actually rather glad lick the whisk chose to resurrect some stupid slapfight from ages ago. I assume it was a deliberate attempt to distract everyone so we aren't just bouncing up and down and counting the minutes until Luke Cage drops.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if Daredevil season 2's problem was because of behind the scenes stuff. Like, they had the whole ninja arc plotted out and were going to explain what Black Sky was and why we should care, but then some exec said, "no, we want to introduce magic with Dr. Strange, you can't do magic yet"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So much of the show was good. Good acting, some great characters, great cinematography, music and the location were used incredibly well. It's a shame that the show overall is kinda boring. I agree with everyone who said it's three episodes too long. The first really glaring example was in the second episode when Pops made Luke agree to find the kid. Why wasn't that how the first episode ended? How long did Luke spend with those loving magic bullets in him? Did he need to be shot with two different magic bullets on two separate occasions? What was the point of Diamondback becoming mini-Kingpin if he just wanted to kill Luke Cage? So much time wasted on unnecessary poo poo.

My other big complaint is all the cops getting Judas bullets. That was so loving stupid. It's fine at first, when they're introduced as incredibly rare and expensive, made from extra dimensional alien metal. But then all of a sudden they start mass-producing them and all the cops have them all the time. Doesn't it kinda cheapen the idea of a bulletproof black man if he's not bulletproof against cops?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Claire sleeps with all the Defenders

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, I don't know anything about Namor aside from he's buff and Marvel's Aquaman who dresses about as conservatively as Zangief. Since he's pretty much always near-naked, I expected sexual tension to just materialize with him no matter who he's talking to.

It's not fair to compare Namor to Aquaman, Namor isn't a joke character.

edit: Aquaman talks to fish, Namor beats nazis to death with a shark.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I definitely remember thinking that at one point while I was watching, but I can't remember why

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I like about Claire is that she's now enthusiastic about superhero stuff. Everybody else is all reluctant and brooding, she's just totally driven and excited to be involved with superheroics.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samizdata posted:

You know, Diamondback mentions the mass produced models are substantially less powerful than his prototypes.

What does that mean?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloodychill posted:

It means that a single bullet wouldn't basically take Luke down for days. Diamondback mentions something about diluting the alien metals or something.

The reason the single Judas bullet took him down for days was because it penetrated his skin and his weird physiology pulled the bullet fragments deeper into him. For the mass production Judas bullets to not do that, they'd have to not be able to penetrate his skin. if the MP bullets can't do that, they're, what, the equivalent of bean bag rounds to him? They leave a nasty bruise? They establish that the Judas bullets are a huge threat, but then they introduce the MP bullets and never establish how much of a threat they actually are to Cage. Except for "less that that".

I agree with bring back old gbs, having the cops come up with another tactic that takes advantage of Cage's weaknesses would've been a lot better.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I the only one who got tired of the fight theme a few episodes in?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you guys think the show would've been better if they made Cottonmouth look more like he does in the comics?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They actually did make a toy to coincide with the release of the show, so if you want to support Luke Cage by buying merchandise, pick up a Cottonmouth action figure

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Obama is president in the only continuity that matters.

Obama is the president in the main-line Marvel comics continuity too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The cops already had plenty of special anti-Luke Cage weapons. Tear gas, water hoses, pepper spray.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

Who is the hero that made this

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

COMIC BOOK QUESTION:

What's the nature of Luke's and JJ's relationship in the comicverse? How different is it from what we're seeing on TV?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Finally getting around to watching these and I'm wondering, how interconnected are the series? Would I miss much if I watch Luke Cage first?

They spoil the end of Jessica Jones.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Eh I guess I'll watch them in order then. It goes Daredevil S1->Jessica Jones->Daredevil S2->Luke Cage right?

yup

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amstrad posted:

Wasn't this mostly a reference that you wouldn't even recognize as a spoiler if you hadn't watched JJ?
Sorta like how Claire starts mentioning this really good lawyer she knows. You wouldn't really get the full implication of that if you hadn't watched DD.

I think "like that woman who snapped a man's neck because she said he was mind-controlling her" is enough to spoil Jessica Jones. At least, once you start watching the show and find out the villain has mind control powers, and the main character is a woman, you can probably piece it together.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ApeHawk posted:

Martial arts stuff also would've been out of place for this show, too. Luke Cage isn't a fighter, he's a near-unstoppable walking tank who can kill someone with a slight shove if he wanted to. Having him be even an amateur boxer is enough. He doesn't need to be a black belt, too. That's kinda Iron Fist's and Daredevil's thing, whereas JJ and Cage can just charge at dudes and overpower them.

I would agree with that, if they hadn't spent an episode on how he was the best fighter in prison fight club

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Police can't do any of those things.

Tear gas, water hoses, mace

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slime posted:

Because ninjas are asian fetishism that rely on stereotypes to work.

also ninjas never existed as people think of them these days

What about all the Ninja stuff that is made for Asians? Like Naruto. Are little Japanese kids watching Naruto engaging in Asian fetishism?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

You're kidding yourself if you're expecting Game of Thrones: Donald Trump edition.

You're saying nobody is gonna get their pussy grabbed?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Turk is going to stumble across the four Defenders and then just nope the gently caress out.

What will be weird about Defenders is seeing Matt in the daredevil costume alongside all these superheroes who just wear what they rolled out of bed wearing.

I want Iron Fist to wear little booties like in the comics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Any idea who Weaver is playing?

They've been hinting at MODOK, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Holy balls everything after Cottonmouth's death is terrible. :psyduck: It's literally like two different shows.

Who thought it was a good idea, in 2016, to have a black villain engineer and use police brutality against black people to manipulate the public for nefarious purposes?

And if all of your characters are telling the villains how dumb and transparent their plans are every other scene, come up with better plans. Also the plot is Spectre.

No, The Spectre is DC

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, the show makes it very clear, both implicitly and via dialogue, that Matt is actually brilliant, and a lot better than Foggy, but his lawyering suffers because he is too distracted by his vigilanteism and doesn't have time to properly prepare for cases. I mean it's hard to do a good job as a courtroom lawyer when you're bedridden due to bruises and sprains from the previous night's fights.

Just because Foggy steps up and dominates in that one specific case doesn't mean much.

If you are distracted and unprepared, you are a bad lawyer. I mean, that's such a nonsensical thing to say. "Oh yeah, he's a real good lawyer. I mean, he misses court dates and isn't prepared and prioritizes his personal life over the case, but he's really a really good lawyer"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

I'm talking about talent. We've seen what he's capable of when he actually focuses on lawyering.

Remember, the statement was:

He's acting irresponsibly in Season 2, but he's not a "lovely lawyer" by any means. Quite the contrary.

What his lawyer stat is doesn't actually matter. If he abandons his clients to go fight ninjas, he's a lovely lawyer

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

The sense that I got from the show was that Diamondback was on point until Shades told him Carl Lucas was alive and superpowered. He starts off somewhat effective, but slowly gets crazier and more unhinged as time goes on because he is so insanely jealous of Luke. Dude was the golden boy growing up, and just when Willis thought he had gotten him out of the picture, he shows up again even better than before. So this relatively decent criminal slowly goes off the rails because he just can't believe how good the object of his lifelong hatred has it. Hence why he wants Mariah to turn the city against Cage. As time goes on, he doesn't want to just kill the guy, but force him into disgrace, like how he felt his entire life as a bastard son of a respectable preacher.

But the scene with Diamondback's bible pretty clearly illustrated that he's always been nutty.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another problem with Diamondback is that he's supposed to be this big deal mover and shaker crime lord, but they never show that. Aside from the Judas metal, there's no sign he has any resources. He just kinda shows up in town.

Falstaff posted:

This is a thing I've seen making the rounds on facebook lately, relevant to Luke Cage.

That owns. I want somebody to do something like for Jessica Jones and Daredevil too

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huh. I didn't realize that Dardevil had a lot more interesting lighting than Luke Cage

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Nah I really like the guy (one of my favourite Boardwalk Empire cast members easily), but his performance in this was absolutely abysmal. I suspect it's more down to the poor writing and direction than his talent as an actor though, and him just being poorly suited to the part.

It was abosolutely the writing. In a show with a lot of really well-developed, complex characters, the guy who's just "super jealous and SO GODDMAN CRAZY" sticks out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Once we figure out where the letters come from, then we can start working on what they spell out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

One more thing about the Iron Fist promo:

If you have curly hair you can't be a badass.

Holy poo poo, racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was a good show hidden in Daredevil season 2 but every time magical ninjas reared their ugly heads in they dragged the show straight down into the toilet. If the season would have cut everything related to the ninja-plotlines and focused exclusively on Frank Castle nothing would have been lost.

That's not because it's impossible to write a good Ninja story. The ninja stuff in Daredevil was bad because they refused to tell us what Black Sky was, so there were no stakes, we didn't really know why The Hand was bad, except that they wanted whatever the gently caress Black Sky was, presumably for bad reasons, there was no really compelling character related to The Hand, it was just generic faceless ninjas, and it divided the focus of the show, and made it feel like there was no coherent theme or goal.