Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nerdist is reporting that the new showrunner has been referring to season 2 as "Daredevil vs Punisher", so take that for what it's worth. May not be an alliance at all, which is a direction I can see this show going. I figure it's more like a theme of "This is what Matt could become if he doesn't reign himself in and/or if he loses someone too close to him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

thebardyspoon posted:

If Thanos is doing the whole Infinity Gauntlet thing then isn't he probably going to be killing half the universe somewhere in the first 30 minutes of the first Infinity War film? So they could just show the lower level heroes briefly before they disappear or as heads on Nick Furys big computer screen of heroes who've gone missing or something. Then obviously they undo it all at the end of the second film.

I'm curious to see how Agents of SHIELD is going to handle that. If there's a year between the film's two parts I could see the show having a tie-in that removes certain characters from the show for a whole season.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I choose to believe MAX stands for Marvel Awesome Xtreme.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

--Venom "Punisher" Snake--

Micro: Boss, look out, it's Bullseye. Stay low and crawl on the ground. That should enable you to sneak past him.

Frank, press the X button! And remember, I'm here if you want to save your game.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would kill for this. But only if they get Richard Belzer to play the detective investigating the case.

Richard Belzer plays She-Hulk.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd be cool with a Punisher series but I also really don't mind characters like Punisher, Iron Fist, or even Luke Cage being relegated to showing up in other heroes' Netflix series. Like if they're already major characters, why do they even need a spinoff? Just make them big enough presences that the Defenders will still make sense because you already know who they are.

Though I kinda just want to see them do a full episode based on that Punisher: War Zone issue in the 90s where he just chills in a treehouse in Central Park and snipes thieves and rapists.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've just always thought "I can make anything I want" is a goofy-rear end power. If you impose limits on what he can do, it seems arbitrary. If you don't, he's basically god. If he ever loses, it's due to lack of imagination.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I felt very differently about Elektra. The problem with making Punisher so compelling was that by contrast I felt Elektra dragged the plot down. Her subplot with Matt was the least interesting part of the season. You hit the ground running with 4 great episodes focusing on Frank Castle, then an episode with a bunch of romantic Karen subplot and Elektra flashbacks, then it ramps back up once Fisk becomes a major plot point again. I like Karen a lot but I didn't care about the love triangle bits or Elektra trying to be good or whatever. She just seemed to be a series of bad decisions for Matt and turned him into kind of an rear end in a top hat by being one herself. This could've just been The Punisher Season and I'd have no complaints.

I also still like the fight choreography but "several kung fu fights per episode" gets tiring after a while. More stuff like the stairwell fight and the prison fight, fewer ninja battles.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 21, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Close it or put a cock in it.
I can only watch so many flips for no reason before it all feels too samey and cliche. Capoeira doesn't even have that many extraneous flips in it. But like I said the prison and stairwell fights were awesome.

My Q-Face posted:

I didn't find that Elektra or the hand brought down the season at all. Stick, The Hand and Elektra are major iconic pieces of the DD mythos and the season hit all of the major points very well. I also thought it complemented the rest of the story quite well. The Punisher story arc needs Matt to be distracted by something bigger and separate or it doesn't work.
I'm totally fine with the iconic mythos stuff, I'm specifically talking about her portrayal. I saw a Nerdist review that I think put it best: "she's too mean to be likable". At no point was I rooting for her because her whole characterization was "I'm rich and mean and screw with people's lives because I'm bored". The revelation that her whole relationship with Matt was a mission makes me like her even less, and Matt by proxy. It seemed out of character for Matt to be unable to say no to her, so it was great when Claire called him out on it like "Dude, cut the brooding self-torture bullshit."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fingernail torture is the new black. I've seen it on a few shows/movies recently. The drill through the foot was pretty gnarly though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I would think the guy who oversees the TV stuff doesn't really have a say in what does and doesn't go into the MCU movies considering they're the big money-makers. If Marvel wanted Daredevil in Infinity War, he'd be there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hole in the ground is the new hatch. :lost:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

They did indeed. Then she got away off screen and it was never brought up again. The only thing it seemed to do was show that apparently some government agency was watching his house. Nothing comes of it and they could be working for the DA, the Blacksmith, the DOD, or someone else perhaps in the SHIELD echelon.

The latter would be the most interesting route, but I just assumed it was people involved in the coverup of what happened to Frank's family. That seemed to go pretty high, so of course they were watching his house. I didn't see that as a loose thread.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's not officially confirmed yet, but rumor has it Netflix is going to have Moon Knight, Blade, and Ghost Rider shows in addition to the Punisher series.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

The rumours come from a blogger site nobody ever heard of.

Yeah, I take it with a grain of salt but they would be pretty cool additions. If they did it, I wonder if they'd go the Blaze or Ketch route for Ghost Rider.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Samizdata posted:

Rumor further has it that that article was published on April 1st.

(No worries, I fell for it too.)

The original source everyone's citing says May 16th as far as I can tell. The source itself is the part I question more.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not saying either is more credible than the other, but I think we're talking about two different rumors. Aside from Moon Knight, the April 1st one lists all different shows.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

What caused this sudden upswing? I had to look it up and confirm, but its the first episode not written by Scott Buck.

How that man gets work baffles me.

It's just like comics in that way. You'll be following a cool storyline and suddenly the art in the next issue looks like the penciler has no idea what human faces look like and the inker makes a character look like she's balding and uses a bunch of parallel lines to fake a shadow effect because they can't actually do shading very well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've watched the Punisher trailer like 5 times and I can't get over how perfectly they sync the action to the music. 'One' is a song about a severely injured war veteran constantly reliving the war in his head, which is a great analogy to Frank's PTSD.

I know I've seen the guy who plays Micro before but I can't place where.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 21, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DeathSandwich posted:

I want Iron Fist season 2 to be the Ward and Joy Meechum show because they are the interesting characters in his show and I could care less about whatever Danny Rand is doing.
I found myself really invested in both Ward and Joy by the end of the season. Ward especially was a really complex character, and Tom Pelphrey has some fantastic range.

I just finished the season, and I felt like they were trying to make a parallel between Danny's angry outbursts and Howard Meachum's angry outbursts, but I wasn't fully clear on whether or not they were related. Was that match cut between the red lights and the dragon's eyes meant to say that both of them had some kind of darkness in them related to Shou-Lao? I haven't watched Defenders yet so I don't know if that's explained or not.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm a few episodes into The Defenders and every time Luke Cage appears in his own scene the tone and art direction immediately shift to:
"Awww yeah, he's black. Get it guys? He's a black man from the streets. Aww poo poo, check it out. Rap! In case y'all forgot, he's black. :whatup:"

They could've had a smooth talking narrator say that verbatim and it wouldn't be any more on the nose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a plot inconsistency with The Defenders? Danny keeps saying The Hand killed his parents, but it was Harold. I guess the two were technically inextricable by the end, but not when he made the arrangements for it. It was his plan. Gao might have been involved, but wasn't the whole point of the last couple episodes of Iron Fist that Harold was the one ultimately responsible? Or does that just take too much exposition in a show crammed with characters from 4 other series?

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing? He owns his blackness and it's cool af, it sounds more like you're not comfortable with something so unabashedly black.
Ha, not at all. It worked in Luke Cage. But they did the same thing in Iron Fist with Magic Mystical Asian Dragon Realm Brigadoon. It's not like Marvel is a stranger to telling stories with broad cultural stereotypes.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 11, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Yeah, but, where Danny Rand is a white dude in yellow-face, Luke Cage is a (corny) black guy in Harlem being a (corny) black guy in Harlem. I have uncles who are like Luke Cage. Bullet holes and jail time and all. No super powers tho.

Yeah, I just felt that tone was even more exaggerated specifically for The Defenders.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Really the entire Hand were a waste aside from Gao. Everyone else got offed before actually accomplishing anything, or was bland like Bakuto. I'd be all for Gao surviving though, she's cool. Aside from the fact that practically every character lets her make some big speech that throws them off balance while also moaning "Could someone please shut her up!?" How about you. You shut her up. You have the ability to do that.

McSpanky posted:

"This is almost as good as the stuff I had back in my day, in... Constantinople." "You mean Istanbul, as people refer to it in the modern era?" "LOL sorry, senior moment!"

"Why they changed it, I can't say."

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 16, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm only a few in, but really liking how it's not just gun violence and explosions. It succeeds at having a deep emotional core where most other Marvel Netflix shows haven't. Bernthal is great, and so is the supporting cast. Poor Paul Schulze though, always typecast as a bureaucratic rear end in a top hat.

Madani keeps reminding me of Drew Barrymore. She's got the exact same lisp and cadence to her voice. Once I noticed it I couldn't shake it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ben Barnes slipping in and out of his accent is a little weird. He's good, but sometimes it sounds like he's trying to affect a London-via-Brooklyn accent on certain words.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

enraged_camel posted:

I think they should save Jigsaw until season 3. Would give the character some time to recover and recollect his memory, brood, scheme, etc.
Considering how Netflix does mini-arcs for most of its shows, it'll more likely be season 2.0 with a different plot and season 2.5 has Jigsaw return as the big bad.

All I want is one bottle episode where Frank snipes a bunch of people from a treehouse in Central Park, like that issue of War Zone where he was hunting down a serial rapist.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You can certainly watch Punisher on its own, all you need to know is that Karen is from DD and she helped clear Frank's name while he helped her get out of a big mess, so they're close and might have some romantic tension if only Frank weren't so broken. But I'd at the very least watch the cemetery scene from Daredevil's 2nd season. Bernthal absolutely nails it.

Someone needs to do a Punisher-only fanedit of Daredevil and compress it all into a prequel episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's nothing wrong with a slow burn if the characters are compelling and well written. That's more or less the point of that kind of pacing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Meachums plot saved Iron Fist for me. Ward was a really good character.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

If he needs things to make noise to “see” them why doesn’t he constantly run into walls?
There are actual blind people who can figure out where things are via echolocation of other sounds. DD has that sense amplified a whole bunch, so things like footsteps or ambient sound are a replacement for sight. It's not that weird.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My only nitpick, unless there was a throwaway line I missed somewhere, was how Micro's family didn't recognize Frank, especially after he shaved. Wasn't he the biggest story in the news with his face plastered all over front pages during DD season 2?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

All 10 of the top 10 most wanted people in America could pass me on the street tomorrow and I wouldn't have a clue.
I'll take a wild guess that you're probably not making out with them in your kitchen though.

Invalid Validation posted:

I know it’s been said already but I can’t stress how good that end fight was when Frank grated pretty boys face against the mirror. It’s almost a work of art in how painful it seemed to be.
Ben Barnes screaming was what made that scene. I don't think I've ever heard a more painful scream in a show or film before.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Eh, I liked JJ S2. It had a lot of good character development, and I'd watch Callum Keith Rennie read a phone book.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's good from the beginning. The trick is paying attention, even when it's boring for the first dozen or so episodes, because it's setting something up for later that will have a payoff. You won't know it if you weren't playing attention. The showrunners are very good at comic book show, things flow better when you don't have weird monthlong breaks.
I can see how season 1 might have sucked for people who had to wait a week between episodes when it's all people had for Marvel TV, but I didn't catch up to AoS until mid-season 2 and enjoyed the whole ride because S1 really lends itself to binge watching. All the stuff they're building up to pays off in days instead of weeks. It was also fun to watch the Marvel movies in tandem with the show by theatrical release and episode airdate, back when they cared about that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:laffo: @ Matt getting his mojo back because of a neti-pot.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The more original films Netflix makes, and the more Marvel shows with seasons longer than they need to be, the more I feel like it's time Netflix started making other, non-theatrical released Marvel movies instead of TV shows. It'd be cheaper to produce, and easier to tie into the main MCU since they wouldn't have to worry about the timing so much.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm really glad about this. It's a comic book show, the audience is implicitly cool with that kind of absurdity. Having characters remark on the impossibility would just be the authors smugly pretending that they're above all these goofy punchmen when they're busy writing a show about goofy punchmen.

I mean, the established canon of all of these shows has them taking place in a city where a few years ago, a hole in the sky opened up and a bunch of alien techno-dragons flew around that were destroyed by an unfrozen super soldier, a giant green monster, a literal Norse god, and a flying metal Elon Musk.

That team also had a dude with super incredible accuracy with a bow and arrow, so Bullseye using bullets and other objects to the same effect isn't really all that notable in their world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

Lebron James isn't not notable because we already saw Jordan.

OK...? Neither of them would be very notable if the NBA also had a bunch of top stars with legitimate godlike magic powers. Instead you'd be saying "Hey, this Jordan guy's pretty alright, but not as good as the HUGE GREEN ANGER MONSTER and FLYING METAL MAN on the same team!" And then Lebron comes along and you'd be saying "This Lebron guy is pretty alright too, but he's no UNFROZEN SUPER SOLDIER or ACTUAL THUNDER GOD."