Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
Show is great, but both Foggy the character as written and the actor were terrible and kind of ruined those parts of the show for me. The character seemed like he was trying to hard to be witty and sarcastic but just came off as corny and cringey. Not to mention the creepy Sam-Frodo vibe between Foggy and Matt which made me laugh out loud at scenes meant to have a more dramatic impact. I feel like a better actor could've helped cover up some of these writing deficiencies (i.e. the actress who plays Karen and Rosario Dawson do a good job of overcoming some of the cheesy lines and poorly written bits of their respective characters), but the guy they chose for Foggy did a terrible job. I wouldn't be disappointed if they replaced him for season 2 or at least rewrote him as someone that is less obnoxious and more likeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

AbstractNapper posted:

Foggy was great; especially upon first watch of the series. Better than Karen - I love Deborah Ann Woll, but they had her being miserable or depressed/ on the verge of crying in like every other scene of hers. Still she was also an interesting character, and there are stuff about her that we have yet to find out, it would seem.

Upon rewatch, I think the only episode where I didn't like Foggy's character, was the episode after he finds out. I am not sure if it was the writing of his dialogues and/or the actor's performance, and it might have something to do with the fact that it seemed a bit farfetched that Foggy was so much clueless about Matt. Also he kept acting weird/ angry/ betrayed in random order until storming out and some of it didn't really... connect . However, I didn't expect him to just go "huh" or to be immediately accepting of his friends secret. And he did make some valid points though (especially the one about Matt dragging them into his vigilante activities, without them consenting or even know about it).

For me it was the opposite: the only time I liked him is that episode because I feel like the actor was better at playing Foggy angry than anything else. Any other time he was on screen i felt I was watching an actor just recite lines and didn't feel I was really watching a character. It was probably a miscast more than anything but I definitely felt like the writing for him could have been better as well.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

enraged_camel posted:

That was exactly the point of the character. Of the two of them, Matt is the charismatic and good-looking one who always gets the ladies, and Foggy is the dork with average looks who uses humor as a crutch to cover for his social awkwardness. Most people in this thread find that endearing but I guess if you're the kind of person who takes themselves way too seriously I can see how it would come across as cringe-worthy to you.

I get that the character is supposed to accomplish that role of the awkward but funny friend who the audience finds endearing but gets poo poo on in the show. My point is that the show is unsuccessful at creating this dynamic and it is partly due to the actor and partly due to the writing (I personally think the actor is more to blame). Some of that is a lot of what he says just comes off as forced and corny and not funny i.e the writing. Not only that, but Foggy doesn't seem to have a problem getting the girl anyway. Karen flirts back with him constantly, and his hot ex-girlfriend at his old law firm is constantly trying to gently caress him, which I think is kind of inconsistent with what his character is supposed to be (again, this is inconsistent/sloppy writing). I think a better actor might be able to pull it off, but for me, the dynamic they're trying to establish between Foggy, Matt, and Karen doesn't quite work.

It's great cause just about everything else in the show works really well: the way Kingpin is developed as a multidimensional character instead of a cartoon villain, the complicated politics between all the supervillains is the show, Matt's internal conflict and origin story told through flashbacks, the portrayal of Ben Urich and the fading relevance of print media, believable and well choreographed fight scenes, chemistry between Matt and Claire etc, etc. In a show that gets so much right, it's hard to not notice when they get something so egregiously wrong.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

The Sharmat posted:

I think that's how it's supposed to come off though.

If that's the case, the other characters would probably react like Foggy said something forced and corny. Instead they act like he said something funny and say something equally corny and forced back to him. The difference is the other actors he's playing off of are better than he is. I never really get that "Oh Foggy" eye roll from other characters, which is exactly what you would expect when someone says something socially awkward. Instead the dialogue between Foggy and Karen/Matt seems to be trying for witty banter at times and to me fails because sometimes the dialogue isn't written as smart as it thinks it is, and sometimes the delivery is terrible.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Phylodox posted:

Because it's not a sit-com. These characters genuinely care about each other and are friends. When one of your friends says something corny or awkward, do you roll your eyes and treat them like idiots? The dynamic between Foggy and Matt is one of extreme closeness and trust, which is why Foggy is so devastated when he finds out Matt has been lying to him.

I didn't say I expected it to be a sitcom. Sometimes it seems either the writers aren't sure what they're going for or the actor has poor delivery, because the characters aren't acting like Foggy is saying something corny or awkward, but they are acting like he's saying something legitimately humourous and respond in kind.

But yeah if one of my friends says something corny or awkward, I will absolutely bust their balls about it. I wouldn't say I'd treat them like an idiot, but I'd definitely point out they said something weird or tried to be funny and failed (preferably extremely gently, depending on the friend), otherwise it gets awkward for everyone when nobody laughs. None of the characters in this show are interacting with Foggy like that; instead it's coming across as forced witty banter for me. Honestly some of the dialogue is written like this for Matt as well but the actor is just better at pulling it off and it's not as distracting. This is why I think it's mostly the actor who play Foggy who isn't doing it for me.

Aphrodite posted:

Interestingly, that's also why some people don't like him in the first few episodes. Until around the explosions, he's just sitcoming around.

I think this is the main issue for me. It's like scenes with Foggy turn into a really unfunny episode of the big bang theory until he finds out about Matt which is the only time he is interesting in the show for me.

seniorservice fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 28, 2015

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I see the problem. See, Foggy is saying humorous things so I can see why you were confused.

And he's also a swell loving guy, even if he is a dork.

Agree to disagree. Stuff like "Avocados at law!" is so cringy to me that it's tempting to fast forward through it.

seniorservice fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

pentyne posted:

Corny inside jokes are a hallmark of emphasizing a close personal relationship. You've literally never had something like that? That's a shame.

Yeah, but there's a reason that stuff stays an inside joke between friends, because it's very likely no one else finds it funny. That was just one example of many jokes that fell flat for me (that whole flashback scene from college is full of what I found to be cringey moments).

BottledBodhisvata posted:

^^^^--- You must be a blast at parties.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know its totally unbelievable for two drunk college kids to gently caress up a phrase.

BiggerBoat posted:

How many friends do you have? Are they all as witty, funny, charming and sophisticated as you are?

Drifter posted:

He's probably got over a hundred on Facebook alone.

On a side note some of you guys are really taking it personal that I didn't enjoy Foggy. Just because someone disagrees with you about liking the Foggy-Matt relationship doesn't necessarily mean that they're friendless losers who just don't understand this wonderful dynamic between long time pals because they've never experienced the joys of human companionship. I understand that people don't agree with me about not liking how Foggy was portrayed, and that's ok. I still liked the show! Please don't take it personally that I didn't enjoy one aspect that you did enjoy, and let's just all agree that it's a good show ok =)