Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm up to episode 12 of the show and I think its been good, but I can't really handle the Kingpin actor. His voice is really weird, and his cadence and inflection are unsettling in a bad way. Also his mandarin is terrible, but not too many people would get that.

I'm still catching up on this thread (page 19/49, holy poo poo), but just came across this. Fisk's speech, his pauses and cadence, etc, reminded me of someone, and I only just now figured it out. Does DiNofrio's performance ad Kingpin remind anyone else of DeVito's performance as the Penguin in Batman Returns?

I'm assuming Gao is Crane Mother, the ruler of Ku'n Zi. The emblem on her heroin is remarkably similar to the emblems on Iron Fist's and Davos the Steel Serpent's chests.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

Karen is actually fairly reprehensible in many ways.

Some people are keen on giving her a pass for various reasons but she insists on crusading while involuntarily risking the lives of others. Wasn't the whole reason that old hispanic lady got murdered because she convinced her to not take the payout on principle? I think Foggy was in on that one too.

The old woman WANTED to stay in her apartment before Foggy and Karen came along. After she does, Foggy is drunk in a bar when Karen finds him, and breaks down crying because said he should have convinced her to take the payout.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

tsob posted:

The old lady was more than likely the head of a clan of mystical ninja from another dimension

Yeah, I called it after the first few times I saw her that she was Crane Mother, the ruler of Ku'n Zi. Which means she almost certainly will be in Iron Fist if I'm right.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Finished it this morning before work. I really, really enjoyed it. One thing that I see constantly brought up, but am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with the fight scenes? They aren't supposed to be dazzling. The only ones with any real training are Simpson and Trish. Jessica seems to have had some, but she and Luke are largely brawlers, relying more on brute strength than technical skill or finesse. It would be weird to see them with some kind of highly developed fighting style.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Snak posted:

Shut the gently caress up and go read Immortal Iron Fist. That is all.

His manner may be brash, but the words this man speaks are true.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Apparently I accidentally unbookmarked the Daredevil thread, and can't find it anymore. Anyone have a link to it?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Snak posted:

This is it. It was renamed when Jessica Jones came out.

Unless you are joking, in which case, hardy-har.

Oh, haha, well that would explain it then! Thanks!

I wasn't joking, but I realized after I posted it could be taken thst way.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

2x01
That fight with the Punisher at the end was great! And I agree with an earlier poster, it's a bit strange for the Punisher to be shooting up a hospital.

Also, Deborah Ann Woll still smokin hot, I see.

2x02
Oh, pawn shop dude, you done went and fuuuuuuuuuucked up!

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 18, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

2x03
Not sure if this would count as a spoiler, so I'll choose safe over sorry.
I like the small details that point to Frank being a former Marine. The haircut, using a Ka-Bar knife, etc.

Goddammit, Frank! Get that loving gun out of the waistband of your pants!

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 18, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished the first 4 eps and they were cool as hell. Best Marvel season so far if it carries on like this

I made it through the first 3 before I had to leave for work. Never before have I lamented being gainfully employed. :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

2x04
Dear mobsters,
You don't steal a man's dog!

And,
Frank talking about his daughter in the graveyard was genuinely touching. Christ.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 19, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Anyone else think it's weird that Matt uses an iPhone? Seems like he'd want something with physical buttons.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Goddammit, showrunners, that is not how you use a pair of sai!

Also, did they just kinda write out the radar sense? It seems like if Matt can't hear anything, he gets his rear end handed to him, yet he can still climb and jump and all that.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 20, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Man, after watching all of these Marvel Netflix shows, Flash and Arrow just don't have the same punch.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

Frank's love of coffee is funny, but man, the revitalizing beverage is everywhere this season. Karen brings Foggy/Matt coffee in that awkward "are you guys dating" scene, Claire brings DD coffee on the roof and then throws it away when he refuses, Karen and the bearded reporter stay drinking coffee....there are like 6-8 scenes where coffee is the main prop. The Punisher packs a thermos wherever he goes

They're busy people, man! No time for sleep when you could be shootin folks, or beatin em up, or writing a newspaper article, or watching two friends' business and friendship implode.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Coffee from food carts or from bodegas.

The problem is with the way Ennis writes him previously, I just find it hard to buy that. I always imagine that's just him lying to himself, I don't actually believe he's feeling anything more. Its simply not convincing. That's why I enjoy the DD take on him better, I do believe that he is.

And I like the fact that Frank was ready to leave the war behind him, I enjoy that take better I think. Not that he was always looking for an eternal war. That it was forced upon him and it is the only way he can feel whole again.

This is why I like the Ennis MAX run as opposed to the Aaron one. In the Ennis one, he was written kinda like he always has been, but in the Aaron one, he takes them to the park knowing there'd be trouble and that they'd probably get caught up in it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

site posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I like the Aaron MAX story by itself. But, 1) I think it shits all over what Ennis was trying to accomplish with the character, and 2) bullseye was just way too cartoonish to fit with the established universe.

And Ennis's run didn't always have the best art, but goddamn, that Dillon art...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

-Did they forget how Daredevil works or did I miss something? Why can't he see the ninjas sometimes? He uses echolocation to see everything, right? He doesn't get to a set of stairs and go "Oh poo poo, these stairs are masking their heartbeats," he just walks up them because he can "see" them like a bat. Ninjas are great enemies because they're believable at variable levels of toughness. I can buy it when Daredevil mows through them; I can buy it when they pose a serious problem for him. They don't need to add some nonsensical wrinkle to ninjas.

Every time I bring this up to someone, they act like I'm crazy. "Daredevil hears everything. That's how he gets around!" Horseshit! They SHOW his radar sense in season 1. He's not going to climb stairs and ladders by hearing. He routinely picks up things in the environment to use as weapons, and those objects are stationary. It seriously is like they forgot how Daredevil works.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. That was a fantastic scene. Everything with D'Onofrio has kicked rear end in both seasons.

I particularly enjoyed how Matt didn't fight back, acted scared and the subtle way they played it. At first, I was like "why doesn't Matt kick his rear end?" and then seconds later realized it was to protect his identity, but it wasn't overstated. Same way they played Frank sort of kind of recognizing Matt's voice and knowing who he was but not hitting you over the head with it. It's great writing and very well acted.

I like that they actually had Matt throw one punch. If I remember right, he throws his arms up to break Fisk's hold and tags him in the mouth. Fisk slams him back down and says something like "Ah, that's right, son of a boxer!"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Renoistic posted:

It was harder than I though....

It's called "Seated Woman with Bent Knee" by Egon Schiele.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

zoux posted:

Just as long as it ain't Kitchen Irish, although they already shot the guys face off so he's ready for that one.

Kitchen Irish always gets such a bad rap. It's not the best story, but it introduced me to the phrase "Shower o' cunts," so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Then again, I want this to go full Big Trouble in Little China
Oh my god, if only. :allears:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HERAK posted:

Any links to the reviews then?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-iron-fist-review-984200

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

tooterfish posted:

How would you even do a Brandon Lee homage anyway, shoot someone on set?

That's basically his entire career, if you don't count Showdown in Little Tokyo... and no one sane is going to do an homage to that pile of poo poo.

Rapid Fire! Kick through a banister! Shiv someone with a barbecue fork! Endless possibilities.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

verdigris murder posted:

You take that back. Showdown has the best Dolph Lundgren awkward sex scene in cinematic history.

And the dialog after...."That time, I heard you coming." :allears:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

I am currently 4 beers and 2 shots into another rewatch of Showdown in Little Tokyo, and I will have you know that this is a finely crafted Fil that beautifully balances action, pathos, and sentimentality.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've enjoyed all the Marvel shows so far, maybe I'm broken inside. :ohdear:

As have I.

But I also just enjoyed rewatching Showdown in Little Tokyo.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am a huge Dolph fan, so I am always up to watch that movie.

Gyges posted:

There are people who don't like watching Showdown in Little Tokyo? How sad.

Hello, new friends.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Did....did that mean bald man just use aluminum foil to make shuriken capable of perpetuating the metal walls of a food truck?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Maybe with the next time we see Iron Fist he'll be better because all of this New York crazy betrayal stuff just hosed up his chi and now he knows how to manage it? Right guys?!

....right?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

I keep wondering why the monks in Kun Lun didn't teach him how to deal with his parents' deaths and his PTSD in the 15 fuckin years he was there training with them

I guess I could see it not working once he's actually reunited with the Meachums and actually having to deal with everything face to face.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

flosofl posted:

I know, and I'm fairly disappointed about that. That means we'll never meet Fat Cobra or the bas-assery of the Orphan.

That might be a blessing in disguise. Can you really imagine the awesomeness of either of them on this show?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

What can I say except I liked it?

Agreed. I enjoyed it!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Highlander: the Series fight scene

How dare you! I'll not have you disparage a war hero like Duncan MacLeod!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

Frank: I hate metaphors. That’s why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism. Just a good, simple tale about a man who hates an animal.

I know what you did here and I appreciate it. :golfclap:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s a three inch long shard of glass sticking through his cheek into his brainpan duder, clear as day in the last scene.

Not to mention there was clearly a hard surface behind the mirror that Frank was also ramming his head into.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HIJK posted:

I don't recall Karen reciprocating for Foggy. Basically Foggy tells her about how Matt felt his face once and that it was sorta weird, and then she asks him to feel her face "like Matt would." Foggy is used to Matt, she isn't, and then she makes that very odd request and to me it seemed remarkably transparant that she wanted to pretend Foggy was Matt and it wasn't out of simple curiosity, it was because she found his handicap exciting.

It's not a huge derail but she is using Foggy as a stand in for Matt when she's supposed to be on a date with Foggy which is not okay in dating etiquette, and she's clearly doing it for the Cool Factor because oh wow Matt's blind and that's so neat.

It left a bad taste in my mouth and I was really glad the explosion occured right after and disrupted the scene.

I sorta see your point. It was weird, but it never came off to me as she was fetishizing his blindness. Foggy is the one who brings up how Matt touches faces to see what people look like. He tell her Matt touched his face once and it was kinda weird. She asks if Foggy has told Matt what she looks like and Foggy replies Matt probably has a picture of her in his head and Foggy doesn't like to mess with those. She then asks him to touch her face so "I can know how someone who was blind can see me." Its weird, and yeah she's using Foggy as a bit of a stand in for Matt, but it never came across as fetishization to me.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I dug this season too, though it certainly has plenty of flaws I felt it was better paced than the first season and for the most part I really dug the various character's storylines. The lack of a solid capital V villain like Kilgrave was noticeable though, but then I'm not really sure how you could follow up such a hosed up and well acted character like that without it feeling disappointing, so maybe it was for the best they didn't really try.

I'd still rank season 1 above this one, but overall I really enjoyed it, warts and all.

I liked it, too. :cheers:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Is the magic using strongman a comic character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kind of? They’ve reinvented the character like they did with Cottonmouth and Mariah Dillard, but the voodoo part is entirely new.
Gotcha. Looked around and apparently it's Bushmaster. So yeah, real different from the comics.