Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Last night a Drake came around a corner about 12km from me in my Bragration. Both of us were going slow, he had a shot that disabled on of my torp launchers. I started to turn back a little to bring the other set at him, when he suddenly turned broadside to fire his torps, I fired AP at him and he detonated, I must have nailed the front magazine. He then spent the entire match complaining about paying to win. Dude gave broadside at 8km. The detonation was pure luck though. Next game I exploded a near full health Z-23 in my Kitakaze also with a detonation. People must be running low on flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CitizenKain posted:

Last night a Drake came around a corner about 12km from me in my Bragration. Both of us were going slow, he had a shot that disabled on of my torp launchers. I started to turn back a little to bring the other set at him, when he suddenly turned broadside to fire his torps, I fired AP at him and he detonated, I must have nailed the front magazine. He then spent the entire match complaining about paying to win. Dude gave broadside at 8km. The detonation was pure luck though. Next game I exploded a near full health Z-23 in my Kitakaze also with a detonation. People must be running low on flags.

I've detonated three times in the last week, and it's been ages since last time it happened before that. Twice I detonated in the Atlanta in ranked, from DD caliber HE shells, because of course. Third time I don't remember, might've been Georgia, but I remember I was dead anyway so it didn't matter much.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

I've detonated three times in the last week, and it's been ages since last time it happened before that. Twice I detonated in the Atlanta in ranked, from DD caliber HE shells, because of course. Third time I don't remember, might've been Georgia, but I remember I was dead anyway so it didn't matter much.

Something feels different, I'm seeing a detonation almost every other match now.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Anyone else been seeing Italian BBs with SAP being tested ingame? I encountered one today that was...tough. Basically a Roma but SAP instead of HE.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I remember when BB AP could arm inside DD’s. Surely this will be fine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My first ever full health cruiser erasure with a battleship.

Feels good man

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Anyone else been seeing Italian BBs with SAP being tested ingame? I encountered one today that was...tough. Basically a Roma but SAP instead of HE.

The one I saw also had smoke, which made for some really boring battleship play of the guy reversing in smoke and spamming SAP.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Velius posted:

The one I saw also had smoke, which made for some really boring battleship play of the guy reversing in smoke and spamming SAP.

what the gently caress

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
one-size-fits-all ammo for BBs, makes for interesting tactical choices.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

BB SAP does 10% damage to DDs just like BB AP does btw.

Also the real good/interesting use of Impero smoke is for drive bys. Get in close to the opposing BB, hit the smoke when you need to turn out a bit an would normally expose some side while lining up the drive by, and then by the time you're in proxuy spot range you're on target way better than the enemy is.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
The test battleship is Impero, which is a Roma with SAP and the Amalfi's fuel smoke consumable.

They didn't change the dispersion at all from Roma, so it's still less accurate than a Bismarck at range. It also has a standard battleship smoke firing penalty, so to fire from smoke and stay concealed you'd have to be so far away that you'll never hit anything, making it strictly a tool for disengaging.

Essentially it's just a Roma that doesn't overpen cruisers 100% of the time.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
battleships really don't need a get-out-of-jail-free card tho

and SAP is just bad mechanically in general. it's really annoying with AP pen burst damage that you can't really angle against or otherwise mitigate in any meaningful way.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 4, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Firing from smoke without getting spotted is kind of irrelevant for a BB anyway. The smoke means that if you ever get stuck bow in you can smoke and turn away instead of dying like every other BB, which in turn means that you can be more aggressive at the start of the match since there's no risk of getting caught bow in on the weak flank and dying.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

James Garfield posted:

Firing from smoke without getting spotted is kind of irrelevant for a BB anyway. The smoke means that if you ever get stuck bow in you can smoke and turn away instead of dying like every other BB, which in turn means that you can be more aggressive at the start of the match since there's no risk of getting caught bow in on the weak flank and dying.

This is exactly what I was WTF'ing at. Battleships absolutely don't need this and shouldn't have it. If you want to be able to sort of get away with completely loving up your positioning, play the Germans, that's like the one thing they're sort of good at.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

toadee posted:

BB SAP does 10% damage to DDs just like BB AP does btw.

Also the real good/interesting use of Impero smoke is for drive bys. Get in close to the opposing BB, hit the smoke when you need to turn out a bit an would normally expose some side while lining up the drive by, and then by the time you're in proxuy spot range you're on target way better than the enemy is.

Well at least they didn’t give them full damage. Thinking back to the fun days of BB shells getting full pens in DDs.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Game needs more smoke, i can almost see enemy ships sometimes.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

This is exactly what I was WTF'ing at. Battleships absolutely don't need this and shouldn't have it.

Venezia doesn't need it and shouldn't have it either, but when has that ever stopped WG?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Inspired by a flambass video about how incredibly easy (and waaaay too fast) the grind nowadays is, i reset my german DDs to get the research.

Jesus how i underestimated whats going on in the lower tiers...

Sure i knew it wouldnt be that easy, especially without 250% camo, 200% weekend and literally every flag in the game mounted, but its s much slog as i remembered.

e: just got 8k in a good T5 win, whereas he got 12k in T1. Of course he thinks the grind is too easy.
e2: He claims 1 game to go from T5 to T6 which equals 40k xp.
Also 9 games from T9 to T10. I dont think i can make that in 50.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 4, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think I've done any T9-10 in 9 battles, but I've got several in the 15 range. Most are sub 30, and then I guess there's fletcher that took me over 50.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It probably also helps to have 80% winrate, and im currently at around 40 in T5...

e: no sorry, its 20% now and im calling it quits. For teams in T5 its appearently imperative to lose 1 ship/minute and its dual carriers 9/10 games.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 4, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It probably also helps to have 80% winrate, and im currently at around 40 in T5...

e: no sorry, its 20% now and im calling it quits. For teams in T5 its appearently imperative to lose 1 ship/minute and its dual carriers 9/10 games.

At what point does it become not the fault of teams? You make posts like this every two days.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
The ship and tier you're playing can legitimately make carrying impossible. A lot of the German DDs are bad, and low tiers in general are a very bad time for DDs nowadays with the enormous population of CVs down there.

If you're going to re-grind a lovely tech tree you probably need to division with someone who's willing to play something really sealclubby like Giulio Cesare or Kamikaze to help you out.

For the record the only tech tree tier 5 I would willingly play in 2020 is Furutaka.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Inspired by a flambass video about how incredibly easy (and waaaay too fast) the grind nowadays is, i reset my german DDs to get the research.

Jesus how i underestimated whats going on in the lower tiers...

Sure i knew it wouldnt be that easy, especially without 250% camo, 200% weekend and literally every flag in the game mounted, but its s much slog as i remembered.

e: just got 8k in a good T5 win, whereas he got 12k in T1. Of course he thinks the grind is too easy.
e2: He claims 1 game to go from T5 to T6 which equals 40k xp.
Also 9 games from T9 to T10. I dont think i can make that in 50.

The grind to tier 6 is fast. It really slows down from there on.

I don't know how someone could get T9-10 in 9 battles. That would be getting almost 30k xp a game. Even with stacking flags, you'd have to have wonder games constantly. Not to mention you'd have to dump a good chunk of XP simply to not have a stock ship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Well at least they didn’t give them full damage. Thinking back to the fun days of BB shells getting full pens in DDs.

That wasn't the real problem at the time, and WG just flat out removing the ability of battleships to full pen 99% of destroyers was just a lazy fix (if one that was mostly fine). The actual problem was that destroyers were occasionally eating full pen + overpen from the same hit, due to screwy armor/section mechanic interactions with the shells.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Velius posted:

At what point does it become not the fault of teams? You make posts like this every two days.

At the point at which i lose because of things i can do a single thing about it and not stuff that happens on the literal other side of the map.

CitizenKain posted:

The grind to tier 6 is fast. It really slows down from there on.

I don't know how someone could get T9-10 in 9 battles. That would be getting almost 30k xp a game. Even with stacking flags, you'd have to have wonder games constantly. Not to mention you'd have to dump a good chunk of XP simply to not have a stock ship.

I have no idea hoesntly.
He points out 7 times that he explicitely doesnt use anything else than the free xp he got from these games,
a contributor camo that isnt *that* overpowerred to be honest, and all flags there are.

On the other hand, this is a T1 game of his:

And this is his list of games for USN DDs in the upper half and KM DDs below:

In one of those lists he forgot to auto-resupply all the stuff for 2 games and played them stock.
I guess that yes, in his case, the grind is too fast nowadays.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They announced some stuff about the German CV event which will naturally be more two-parted lootbox grinding as is now the standard, BUT they also announced new temporary and permanent camos for the Hindenburg and some other ships.

The Iron Cross skin is the new permacamo that will be available for the CVs and the Hindenburg, and it looks loving rad.

Black-White-Red is the new consumable camo that is available for everything.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Wow, submarines loving suck to play against. Not even in an overpowered way, there is just nothing you can do about them unless you're in a destroyer. And even then its boring.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ST 0.9.6, new ships

so, this thing is, uh, a Buffalo, moved down a tier, minus the radar, but plus 2x4 Fletcher torps and a USN DD smoke generator

seems balanced????? russian...? bias??

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Submarines are in a really weird spot. I'm not sure they're overpowered as far as game impact, but they're massively overpowered in terms of ship on ship interaction. Most of the ships in the game just have no way to damage a competent sub ever, and even if a ship has depth charges the submarine controls the engagement. Against a submarine that pays attention ramming is almost the best you can hope for. The only real threat is another submarine.

If submarines aren't overpowered it's not because of losing to other ships, it's because when you're slow with an effective range of 7 km and your only weapon is torpedoes you have very few opportunities to fight enemy ships. Most of your time in a submarine is spent driving across the map with nothing in range, and that's in test battles full of bots that don't run from you. It's also boring for the other side, since even depth charge-equipped ships have to waste a lot of time for a relatively low chance of killing a healthy submarine, and adding submarines to the game means that ships without depth charges have very few targets to shoot (1 CV 4 DD 3 sub matches are common, leaving only four ships that are consistently spotted and killable with guns).

I think submarines have a lot more potential than rework CVs and I could imagine them making the game better even for non subs, but they have a lot of changes to go before that and I don't have much confidence in the people that gave us the CV rework doing a good job of it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

My thoughts are that if subs in anything vaguely like their current form are guaranteed to be added to other modes at some point, they need to share a slot with CVs, not eat into DD/CA/BB slots. This would help since it wouldn't cut into the number of targets ships that can't realistically do anything about either class have to engage, and because it'd mean ships that can hunt them (subs that is, because lol counter CV tactics) aren't exposed to the constant map-wide spotting taking that extra pressure off them.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Lord Koth posted:

My thoughts are that if subs in anything vaguely like their current form are guaranteed to be added to other modes at some point, they need to share a slot with CVs, not eat into DD/CA/BB slots. This would help since it wouldn't cut into the number of targets ships that can't realistically do anything about either class have to engage, and because it'd mean ships that can hunt them (subs that is, because lol counter CV tactics) aren't exposed to the constant map-wide spotting taking that extra pressure off them.

I think limiting to 2 max and a ratio of 2 ships with ASW per sub might be enough. Maybe. It'd still be super unfun.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Limiting the number of subs does nothing at all to fix it, same as limiting CVs to one did nothing to fix CVs. The problem is that the only threat to subs is another sub, not that there are too many subs in a match. edit: actually more subs increases the chances that the subs run into something that can kill them

If subs were fixed (easier than fixing rework CVs) it wouldn't be a problem that there can be more than one in a game. It would make sense to increase the size of teams from 12 though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Wouldnt it be funny if they added air-dropped depth charges, drawing in even more cvs to fight the subs?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wouldnt it be funny if they added air-dropped depth charges, drawing in even more cvs to fight the subs?

Tier 10 carriers get choppers

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is just below stupid. WG have explained how they decided to nerf legendary modules. Short version? If a module was too popular or increased the ship's winrate too much, it got nerfed to poo poo. Now these methods themselves are kind of overtly simplistic (assuming the data collection was as naive as indicated in the article) because they're assuming too much based on pretty limited and possibly improperly collected data sets, but it gets even better because they can't even follow their own stupid metrics until the end of the article.

quote:

Henri IV (62,01% popularity, 0,7 WR)
The upgrade had high popularity, which was the target of the changes. However, the WR is acceptable.

(literally a couple of sentences later)

We didn't change UU of several ships because their metrics are fine:

X Gearing (63,59% popularity, +1,2 WR)
X Conqueror (64,29% popularity, +0,3 WR)
X Hindenburg (54,5% popularity, +1,1 WR)

So 62,01% is too popular, but 63,59% and 64,29% are fine?

Also the DM legendary module is getting nerfed even more.

quote:

UU had excessive efficiency and high popularity. Initially, we thought that this playstyle's efficiency would be lowered by the announced changes, however, testing showed that it won't. That's why we've decided to implement different changes:

Reduced the bonus to engine power. Now with the unique upgrade and the "Propulsion Modification 1" upgrade, it'll take the cruiser 21% more time to reach maximum forward speed, and it'll take three times more time to reach maximum backward speed. The ship will still be gaining speed faster with these two upgrades compared to having just one of them. At the same time, the time it takes the ship to reach 1/2 and 3/4 of her speed remains almost the same.
Removed a penalty on the action time of Surveillance Radar. This penalty didn’t affect the use and effectiveness of the upgrade.

Players will now choose between this unique upgrade and an upgrade that increases firepower.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/30

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Pretty much the only legendary upgrade that actually met their goals of being a sidegrade that changes the ship's play style was the Minotaur one, and that just turns it into a team smoke bot (and at that point why aren't you playing a Gearing?).

The sledgehammer changes they're making to them are dumb, but I can't say I'd be mad if once they're done every single unique upgrade is worthless.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Not sure how relevant this is to other cruisers but seemed ok enough that I bookmarked it

https://imgur.com/a/5qJS5

Thanks for this. A lot of this I learned the hard way and some is enlightening to me.

For what it’s worth these spots are also where German BBs with a secondary build can stage and really shine as I tend to hug our pounce out of the same islands to push points and it fucks up everyone.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How hard could it be to make skins that turn your fighters into X-wings or Tie-Fighters respectively?
Just give everyone the option to turn off skins for "immersion" and there we go.

Now I want a World of Starships with either Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica as the backdrop.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

James Garfield posted:

Limiting the number of subs does nothing at all to fix it, same as limiting CVs to one did nothing to fix CVs. The problem is that the only threat to subs is another sub, not that there are too many subs in a match. edit: actually more subs increases the chances that the subs run into something that can kill them

If subs were fixed (easier than fixing rework CVs) it wouldn't be a problem that there can be more than one in a game. It would make sense to increase the size of teams from 12 though.

Maybe I'm a dumb scrub who hasn't gone up against any good sub players (very possible!) but they've seemed pretty easy to kill in destroyers. Drive at them, observe whether they go deep or try to surface + torpedo, dodge the torpedo angles if necessary, spam G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

Now I want a World of Starships with either Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica as the backdrop.

There is/was such a thing, just not with any known franchise, and it was amazing.
It even had meaningful pve and factions and stuff, and the pvp was pretty awsome.
It was called "Star Conflict" from the people who made war thunder, but its completely feature bloated and p2w today and despite clocking some 1200 hours i cant recommend it, sadly.