Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Welcome to Corn Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wish it had stuff from Sim City 2013 like the way roads can be paralleled and such.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's so freaking hard to get a good highway system. I figured out before that it's best to just keep the actual highway at ground level, but the custom map I'm using has an elevated highway at the beginning so I carried on and made a spaghetti monstrosity.

Ten Dollars Wasted
Mar 9, 2015

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's so freaking hard to get a good highway system. I figured out before that it's best to just keep the actual highway at ground level, but the custom map I'm using has an elevated highway at the beginning so I carried on and made a spaghetti monstrosity.

All hail his noodley appendage! Haha, lmao.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i'm about to nuke the initial entrance of my city. it's a mess. i had put six-lane one-way roads into and out of the city, then made a T with a six-lane road perpendicular to that and formed the main avenue but i feel like i should just destroy everything in the area and come up with something less retarded because it's all snarled up.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Here's my city before I ruin it with a disgusting highway:

Traffic is almost perfect and I can't quite figure out why since I experimented with so much crap before this.

The names of your districts are pretty........ corny

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like the elevated highways in town so it's easier to put roads under them.

I wish parks didn't need a road connection to stop from filling up with death bodies, the paths should be enough.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Having elevated highways just adds another possibility for ugliness when it comes to off/onramps. I think it's easier to just make bridges over the highways with regular roads and then get fancy with the off ramps if you need to.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Are there boats and docks and poo poo in this game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know most cities in the world are on boring plains next to the sea or a river, but it would be cool to have a mountainy map with a river valley or something. Does the workshop support this.

Also how many windmills should I use in the beginning. I always plop down like 8 and the run out of money and I haven't unlocked loans yet and I'm hosed.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I know most cities in the world are on boring plains next to the sea or a river, but it would be cool to have a mountainy map with a river valley or something. Does the workshop support this.

Also how many windmills should I use in the beginning. I always plop down like 8 and the run out of money and I haven't unlocked loans yet and I'm hosed.

One or two and add as you go.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vendor Trash posted:

One or two and add as you go.

I keep only touching this game when I'm seriously about to pass out from being sleepy and it's really making me do retarded poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Having elevated highways just adds another possibility for ugliness when it comes to off/onramps. I think it's easier to just make bridges over the highways with regular roads and then get fancy with the off ramps if you need to.

i just redid my entrance completely and its all elevated crap. at this point i have so much room idc if everything is a weird circly mess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

heres what it looked like a little bit ago:

my next goal is the move into that square north of the right hand side and build a huge dam.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

You can tell from the aerial screenshot, but my city is in a really mountainous map. Check the workshop because I forget what it's called.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

heres what it looked like a little bit ago:

my next goal is the move into that square north of the right hand side and build a huge dam.

i'm on that map. here is what i did. i built it way dense and only expanded once so i think my roads are basically hosed but w/e

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Despite making the most boring looking city imaginable, loving around for hours with the highway and immediate road areas has yielded pretty decent traffic. Somehow the city survived the continuous bulldozing and rebuilding of several blocks that was required for me to "get it". The city can look like anything while using this sort of highway setup, I just happened to use boring rear end rectangles. The gist of it is making one-way service roads for both sides of your highway, along with easy ways to get from one side to the other. I doubled down on the one-way stuff and made all of my main arteries alternating one-ways, with the smaller roads being bi-directional.

The traffic heatmap. It looks worse than it really is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

when do you get access to that traffic map anyway

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's there from the start click the left top corner icon

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Traffic whackamole is driving me insane.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Traffic whackamole is driving me insane.

The best thing about it in this game is traffic impacts service delivery, but it didn't seem like people actually care about the traffic itself. Put two of whatever service you need on both sides of the traffic jams and everything seems to work out

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

The best thing about it in this game is traffic impacts service delivery, but it didn't seem like people actually care about the traffic itself. Put two of whatever service you need on both sides of the traffic jams and everything seems to work out

I don't actually have any problems, I'm just trying to get rid of all the red intersections.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It seems like no matter what I do, a backed up intersection will just shift somewhere else if I try to build around it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
okay, if i like sim city would i like this? just tell me to loving buy the game and I will dammit!

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
It's like sim city but good so yes.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

It's fun as hell and reasonably priced and written by a bunch of nerdos who liked sim city and were pissed that SC2k13 was so bad

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

okay, if i like sim city would i like this? just tell me to loving buy the game and I will dammit!

Dude, it has the Corn Man Seal of freaking WIN over here!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The map I'm using has a big oil deposit on the top of a mountain that is too steep to connect to, but not so steep that you wouldn't spend half an hour trying to get to it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The map I'm using has a big oil deposit on the top of a mountain that is too steep to connect to, but not so steep that you wouldn't spend half an hour trying to get to it.

I call this district...Peak Oil

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

After a while the oil goes away too. I haven't tried mining but l bet it works the same way.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was accidentally putting turd water in the tower in a tiny mining settlement I made on the other side of a mountain and it killed 20% of my entire population.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I was accidentally putting turd water in the tower in a tiny mining settlement I made on the other side of a mountain and it killed 20% of my entire population.

The turd water is good for unlocking the monuments for specific stuff like 1000 abandoned houses etc.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Dude, it has the Corn Man Seal of freaking WIN over here!

whelp, that settles it, im buying it

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

My last drat thing I need to do before getting a megalopolis is to fix my cargo train system. It doesn't matter if it's on roads or rail, but traffic either way is always the big problem you have to solve in this game.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

After a while the oil goes away too. I haven't tried mining but l bet it works the same way.

Do the forests go away if you make a forestry industry area or is it perpetual?

It says forests are renewable but I don't know if that means I need to do something or what.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Wormskull posted:

that happened to my first city but it basically killed everyone

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hydro plants seem kind of hosed up so I suggest quick saving before you place one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Hydro plants seem kind of hosed up so I suggest quick saving before you place one.

What's hosed up about them.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's hard to exactly tell whether water flow is going to work sometimes and often by the time you've waited for the water to back up against the drat and see if it actually starts electricity output the refund for bulldozing is at like 50% value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I tried out the mars map and the guy gives you only access to a lake at the start. It's in the only green area of the map that you might want to make look nice later on, but you have to permanently scar it with turds because there is no water flow.

• Locked thread