Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Finished The House in Fata Morgana. Probably my favorite Visual Novel ever, surpassing Steins Gate. (Haven't played Umineko or Muv-Luv Alternative yet though)

Also Michel and Giselle are the cutest couple in gaming

Also has anyone tried Wonderful Everyday? It's really high up in the Visual Novel Database. (where it's listed as Subarashiki Hibi)

https://vndb.org/v3144

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Well Hatoful Boyfriend sure goes in places I didn't expect

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Raxivace posted:

So I'm reading Door 4 and I clicked the backlog button because I accidentally skipped through a bit of dialogue.

I'm getting completely different text that is most definitely not what I've been reading. :psyduck:

I'm not even sure if its a glitch of some kind or not, considering the nature of the game.

Just keep playing ;)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I think the minigames were worse in DR2 myself, shrug

Nothing slowed down the trial like Logic Dive or, god forbid, "Improved" Hangman's Gambit.

Man I found psychic taxi way more of a drag than logic drive.

The "improved" hangman's gambit was horrendous though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Butterfly Soup keeps getting mentioned in GOTY awards.

Anyone play it? Sorry if I missed convo about this earlier if people had

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

How in the world are you supposed to figure out the character routes in Chaos Child without a walk-through?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, to be fair most of them are just "do positive delusion for the girl you want, ignore the other girls."

edit: Speaking of which, doesn't this sort of carry the implication that you're altering reality to hook up with the girls and possibly also make them interested in you?

That was the assumption I got.

Finished three of the character arcs, now working my way through Uki's

Couple of thoughts on the character arcs

I think I like Kurusu more as Senri.

Hinae's ending is REALLY hosed up.

Kazuki's path was just bizarre

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 12, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Anyone get the True Ending of Chaos;Child yet? Thoughts?

I really can't think of a way they could have ended it better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Sounds like Root Double is out for the Vita

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Finally finished Umineko.

Man it feels sad to leave those characters.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Looking for recommendations for a new VN. These are the ones I've finished. Starting to think I've read the best of the lot already

Umineko
Steins Gate
Steins Gate 0
Chaos Child
Ever17
Fata Morgana
Zero Escape series
Dangan Ronmpa Series
Phoenix Wright series

Was thinking Higurashi but from what I understand the Answer arcs aren't finished yet.

Also looking at Root Double and Muv-Luv

Any others I should consider?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Raxivace posted:

It's a bit harder to find than these but there's Hideo Kojima's Snatcher I guess. I know people like Policenauts too but I haven't played that yet myself.

Played it :) Great game.

edit: Playing Root Double. Pretty cool so far.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 3, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Since the beginning of Higurashi is pretty slow. If just watched the first couple episodes of the anime and then jumped into the visual novel how much would that detract from the experience?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I'm using the Higurashi anime to catch up on the slice of life stuff, and then switching back to the visual novel once the plot for the chapter starts to kick in.

Working out so far.

I think so much what adds to the visual novel are the internal thoughts of the protagonist, so definitely want to switch to the visual novel once things start getting intense.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Meallan posted:

SO is root double worth playing?
For reference my fav nonotome VNs are: ace attorney, zero escape series, danganronpa, steins, fata morgana, and umineko. SO I LOVE murder mysteries and stories with tons of tension. Tho steins is prob on the end part of the list because I tend to dislike when the general tone of these stories get hurt by... weird ramblings or prolonged comedy or weird tonal shifts. Steins got a lot better after a certain spoilery part but before that oh boy.

Does root double not have that or have less of that?

The "After" route definitely has what you're looking for. Tons of tension and mystery. It's the first route you play.

Not sure about the other routes.

Closest feel is to Zero Escape, but it's a bit more grounded with less weirdness and crazy plot twists.

Although if you haven't played Chaos: Child get on that. I think I prefer that above Root Double. (Though CC does have a bit of SoL stuff it's not as frontloaded as Steins Gate and most is pretty relevant).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 5, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

At least the beginning of the "Before" route in Root Double is pretty interesting so far. Different tone, but some nice worldbuilding.

Maybe it shits the bed later, but so far I'm interested.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

The B route has a very good plot twist in it. Does it justify the whole route? Probably not, but it was something.

Yea that was a really good twist.

On the "Double" route now. While the "after" route is definitely the best, I still really enjoyed the other routes. Double is a little strange though since it's almost all exposition as you're going back to the other characters memories. Some of which are more interesting than others. There's not that much story movement though

Also I was worried that the Before route might have a lot of meaningless Slice of Life stuff. But fortunately that was kept to a a minimum and most seemed relevant to some degree. Though some were more engaging than others.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Question about Higurashi Episode 4. I understand it's more of a side story. Is it still essential reading?

Kind of eager to get to the Answer Arcs.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

is it a sequel sequel or a fan disk affair. I will purchase it regardless but I'd like to know what to expect

Sounds like it's a prequel/expansion on the early life of Morgana

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 12, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Killing Time at Lightspeed is out for IOS, and RPS really liked the Steam version

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/11/killing-time-at-lightspeed-review/

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Anyone play Kara No Shoujo 1 or 2? Sounds like they're good detective novels

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

They're not all ages (or at least the first one is not), so probably not a good fit for this thread

Yea I finished the first one, and it was really good, but there were a couple of sex scenes that REALLY took you out of the moment.

Hopefully the second one doesn't have them.

Anyway that's all I'll say about that, because unfortunately at least the first one isn't appropriate for the thread. It is really good though and encourage people to get it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Hatoful Boyfriend.

I actually didn't care too much for it in the beginning, and was confused why so many people loved it.

By the end, after I got all the endings, I totally understood.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

If I remember the iPhone version of Hatoful Boyfriend, and maybe the updated steam version, has it so you don't have to unlock all the character endings before unlocking a bonus route, but I would still play through all the character routes before doing the bonus one.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Meallan posted:

Its very often that the resolution to very big mysteries involving a lot of questions/ variables end up not living up to the questions. I often think that it's either better to leave them open ended / focus on the character drama part of it.

It's one thing to have a very closed circuit murder plot; but the zero escape plot probably could never live up to expectations.

I keep wondering if he changed things though because reading interviews with him after VLR he alluded to things happening in the third game that never happened.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Trailer for "Heaven Will Be Mine" a queer oriented sci-fi novel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGxmmzXYtc

Looks pretty dope

From the same team that created "We Know The Devil" for those that played that one.

From the description on the Steam page

quote:

It’s 1981, and the dream of a new home in space for all humanity is dead. After fighting for decades against an intangible and ephemeral existential threat from beyond the solar system, Earth command has declared the war effort a huge waste of time. The honeymoon is over, and a future of glittering cities across the solar system and cosmic battles between giant robots just isn’t going to happen. The outcome is clear: it’s time to come home.

But we don’t care. Giant robots may not make any sense. Celestial cities across the solar system are silly dreams. They are, however, extremely awesome. We, the girls who were raised in space, to be special and incredible and pave the way for a new future, aren’t giving up so easily. We’ve got invincible Ship-Selves for ferrying human bodies through time and space, and we have the weight and power to make a fantasy of the future real.

We’re not going out without a fight.

From the Creators of We Know The Devil

Heaven Will Be Mine is a queer science fiction mecha visual novel from the creators of queer cult horror visual novel We Know The Devil, about joyriding mecha, kissing your enemies, and fighting gravity’s pull. Follow three women piloting giant robots in the last days of an alternate 1980s space program fighting for humanity’s future—or ditching their jobs to make out with each other instead.

Experience the story from the perspective of three pilots bound by fate and gravity: veteran ace Luna-Terra, overwhelming super psychic Pluto, and hacker-hijacker Saturn as they fight across three different factions in an eight day war. Your choices decide if they become clandestine lovers or passionate rivals, and which faction’s ultimate plan for humanity’s fate in space and beyond will be realized. Win for your ideals or lose for love, and grasp heaven in your hands.

Co-Creators Aevee Bee, Founder of Mammonmachine: ZEAL and critic of games by and for weirdos, and illustrator & cartoonist Mia Schwartz reprise their roles as writer and artist respectively, Alec Lambert (We Know The Devil) returns with a surreal and cosmic soundtrack of lo-fi, deep tech electronics and Christopher Simon joins the team with gorgeous retro UI aesthetics. Developed in collaboration with Pillow Fight.

Features:
Multiple Playable Protagonists: Watch the narrative unfold from the perspective of one of the three main characters.
A Battle For The Fate Of Space: Your choices determine which of three factions will emerge victorious and determine the fate of space—but if you just pick based on who you wanna kiss, we won’t get mad.
A Rich World To Explore: Look through chat logs and emails to understand the rise and fall of the space program, and the end of their many dreams.

For mature audiences. Features fantasy violence, body horror and discussion of sexuality, abuse and trauma.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 31, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fata Morgana got covered in RPS

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/14/the-joy-of-unravelling-the-deception-in-the-house-in-fata-morgana/

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

klapman posted:

Given the nature of the game I have no idea if I'm right cause this is based off memory of The Silver Case, but I think Big Dick survives at the end. I remember the ending being the detective guy realizing that Big Dick wasn't a Kamui clone or something, and then the last line is "Then who the gently caress is Big Dick?" Honestly though I have no idea.

That game ruled (?)

Finished 428 Shibuya Scramble, and overall it's quite good. The vast majority of the game has excellent pacing and a huge amount of charm, and the constant switching between protagonists keeps things moving. Worth it, even at the 50$ price point.

(spoilers for whole game) I didn't like the ending that much, though. Gameplay wise the bomb stuff got really annoying. The lack of a skip button along with the fact that the bad ends disappeared from the timeline but were still there became frustrating very quickly. I futzed around with the bomb stuff for quite a while, and many of my experiments changed things just enough that they died in a slightly different way, while still making me unable to skip through it. That's something that only came up in the last major event of the game, and really killed a lot of the momentum for me.

The twist I was expecting, due to the constant mentions of Alphard actively incorporating coincidences into their plan, was that the player would be them somehow. This would have been pretty cool and mind-bending, but instead it's just "yeah, this character is Alphard." It's fine, but the fact that Alphard wasn't even really beaten in the end was frustrating. I dunno, most of my problems with it are vague right now and I'm just throwing it at Alphard's feet. I was onboard with everything up until 18:00-20:00, and then something just started to fall flat with it all.

Maybe it's just cause everything narrows back down to Achi/Endo at the end, and they were consistently the two that I'd look at last in the Main 5. Osawa was my favorite, followed by Minorikawa, then Tama. Those two were fine, but I just engaged a lot more with the plot with the other three. Bah.

Also once you get 50 bad endings a chapter unlocks for another character.

428 Shibuya Scramble was really good though. Definitely in my top 10 visual novels, maybe top 5. (Steins Gate, Fata Morgana, Umineko are top 3. Chaos Child might be in top 5 as well)

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 2, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So is there no way to access settings in Death MarK and change message speed, or save manually for that matter? Cause if there is I ain’t seeing it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Dessel posted:

When does Umineko actually get good? I've got slightly over 6 hours of active playtime and sure there's mystery of extra or not? person on the island but jesus this game reminds me why I can't often stand VNs and their pacing. None of the characters seem that interesting either and the protagonist? seems quite unlikable so far.

I'm also sure some of the dumb stuff like why the hell would servants live on a far-off island are going to be answered because it's strongly hinted that they're either somehow bound to the master or they are not what they appear to be but it still doesn't help the initial depiction.

My largest hope for the game so far is that Beatrice is either incredibly compelling/interesting/chilling/scary/conflicted a character especially with interactions with the protagonist

Coming from Fata Morgana I had interesting character interactions and mysteries way earlier into the game. I did get chills from the scene where they show the painting though.

I was bored of Umineko until maybe the halfway point of Chapter 1. Might have been 2/3.

It’s now one of favorite VNs ever.

I think Fata Morgana is better as a more consistent work, but Umineko’s highs are really loving high.

Also it’s super fun trying to solve the mystery.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Heaven Will Be Mine. the lesbian mecha pilots visual novel, is out on IOS. It received very strong reviews. RPS loved it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Meallan posted:

Anyway the best detective VN is clearly London Detective Mysteria

From what i understand LDV is more of a romance game with some detective elements (though the mysteries aren’t that mysterious)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Seeing Heaven Will Be Mine on a lot of Top 10 lists this year.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

It's definitely on my Top 10 list. I am really looking forward to more cool weirdness from these devs.

Have you played We Know The Devil from the same creators?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

I really, really hated it when I finally finished it, but through a couple of years of hindsight the anagram in the title and pun with the 'decision' instead of 'nonary' game have grown on me immensely.

Also, I really can't overstate how much I liked the thing I called out in my earlier post, most of my issues with the game come from everything beyond that.

Part of my problem with the game probably stems from the fact that I hit the teleporter room really, really early in my playthrough, I think. It felt super out-of-place being introduced the way it was in the puzzle room, and then it suddenly becomes the focal point of the plot leading to the True Ending, despite literally nothing else in the entire series to that point relying on ....weird interdimensional alien tech poo poo. Like, there were psychics, yeah, and that was the set up for the entire first game. Casting consciousnesses was the goal for the entire second game. The teleporter tech is just like....there, and it's McGuffinized enough that I don't think it's mentioned by anyone outside of the puzzle room itself and the ending where it comes into play. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while....but it really seemed like a total non-entity during the plot.

Also, ZTD's true ending along with 'Another Time' in VLR seem to imply that the Clover and Alice in VLR are transporter clones, and that they're going to be SHIFTed back to their unconscious bodies 45 years earlier. . . . . . . . .which, uh, according to the whole theme of ZTD's true ending, kind of means that the original Alice and Clover are going to wake up on the moon surrounded by strangers in a future where their families and friends are dead and the entire planet is destroyed. So there's that.

I always wonder if there was a more ambitious game and story they had planned but couldn't because of budget issues, which is why it has the issues it has.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Heart of the Woods received a strong recommendation over at RPS

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/18/unknown-pleasures-its-a-mystery/

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

No Wave posted:

Best VN endings I've read are DR3 and S;G. I dont think of VNs having bad endings as a rule though, I've liked most of them tbh.

Fata Morgana's ending is incredibly satisfying.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

In Fata Morgana, does Reincarnation spoil or reference events from Requiem for Innocence?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Yes, 100%.

You mean the main story or the side stories, or both?

I'm not really sure i have the stomach to go through the main story of Requiem haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Playing through requiem for innocence it really strikes me that Jacobo is Anakin Skywalker done right. They even have the same motivation. Need of power to protect those they love