Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Came very close to falling asleep...not a great first race but Melbourne is meant to be a strange race, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Looks like probably it's a staged photo op to me, tabloid princesses do that poo poo a lot (I've read) and HAM's publicists would be up for that, I would think. That's not someone taking those photos on their camera, after all - those are all perfectly in focus. Maybe couple and their kid are real but the walk around Sydney harbor with photographers?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brainwrong posted:

A friend of mine moved to Australia a few years ago and married an Australian man. That man has a cousin and that cousin's face just popped up on my timeline.

I am disgusted.

Did everyone else just watch The Ring or something?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It literally has 1995 in the name yet you typed 2005.

He's still reeling from being related to RIC

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cheering for Vettel and Ferrari was fun, payoff was hearing the German anthem followed by the Italian anthem.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HJB posted:

So Vettel's hit the 40 win mark, which made me realise both him and Hamilton will almost certainly overtake Senna in the win stakes by the end of the season (Lewis is on 34). If anyone has the vid of Schumi crying after hitting the mark, now's the time to post it. Except it's more likely the thread will cry when either of them get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piULGu6ulLs

I've mentioned this before but I work several weekends during the summer with the guy that did this interview - he was employed by FOM at the time and whoo does he have some stories. He doesn't like being reminded he made Schumi cry, I mention it to him at least once a year.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brainwrong posted:

Gemma's boobs are just as good now as they were in 2008 - See here.

Lewis' PR firm needs to take some lessons on the 'incidental paparazzi-friendly photo shoot' thing.

Also, quoting for Gemma Atkinson.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As good as Formula E?

Not sure if you're joking or serious, but out of 3 45-minute races (Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP), two will usually be very tight down to the final corner. And they take the same amount of time to watch as a single F1 race if you skip most of the in-between stuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Woo, another race this weekend.. shame it's Bore-rhain

Can't wait :geno:

Well...it was pretty good last year, and the teammate fuckery has started even sooner than in 2014!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Saw Sky F1 have an article about Lewis spraying the hostess, so now I'm wondering if this non-story was taken from the Daily Mail, or who did their article first.

This is going way outside the bounds of The Worst Thread but maybe there should be guidelines for the podium ceremony - in Austin the local models are enthusiastic about being sprayed, waving their arms in the air and dancing - in Asian countries, not so much.

Going even further outside (or possibly deeper inside, who knows) the boundaries, why have the hostesses and grid girls at all? With female drivers on the horizon it's going to look pretty bad to have totty on the grid - what happens when Susie Wolff finally gets a race drive, will she have a skimpily dressed female or male sign holder?

WEC races don't have grid girls apparently. Lewis can just use his dog(s) to hold his sign. Actually it could become a way for superfans to get on the grid, paying poo poo loads of money to charity auctions to hold a driver's sign.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

darth cookie posted:

I'd be more interested in what the girls think about having their jobs, and the opportunity to put the work experience down on their modeling and marketing career resumes and so on, taken away. :shrug:

I used to talk a bit to one of these booth babes, I can tell you they don't think anything about it. It's just a paycheck to them. They'd rather be clean when they get home and not have grubby handprints and sticky alcoholic drinks sprayed all over them, though. I've been to too many model car races to count where dusty, grimy dudes laugh as they put their arms (or hover hands) around the trophy girls and little kids are encouraged to put their arms around women 20 years older than themselves. Same thing (on a larger scale of course) happens at CES and any trade show or motorsport thing around the world. It's degrading to get leered at your entire working day and blah blah blah but hey they're getting paid and they wouldn't do it if they didn't want the money, right?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Alain Post posted:

I saw 65 new posts and I thought Red Bull had made good on their promise to gently caress off, or that Nico snapped and murder/suicided. Shame on you all.

Sorry man! Next topic: should F1 go back to South Africa?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

I also hate rugby for the same reason. I have absolutely no clue what's going on thanks to that same teacher.

:britain:

My only real experience with cricket is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series - I had no idea what I was reading about. Still don't.

After I moved to the UK I made the mistake of asking a lifelong rugby fan what the difference is between rugby league and rugby union...bad move.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

RALF posted:

Rosberg is a fairly good #2 driver. The problem is that he believes he's a #1 driver.

This is so true, especially now.

I would like to see Rosberg take the fight to Hamilton...but I would LOVE to see Vettel give Lewis a real challenge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Good last couple of laps.

Goes to show if you can have massive civil unrest and murder your citizens your country can have a decent couple of races.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
All day racing on TV, starting with a bit BTCC, then F1, finish with all 3 classes of MotoGP...saving the best way til last

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Anyone tried this yet?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Urghh I'm disliking Lewis more and more each day, and cannot bring myself to give him the 'Our' title anymore which is a cardinal sin where British drivers are concerned. His pretentiousness is really starting to piss me off.

There's always Jensen.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Congratulations British people, a woman has given birth to a baby girl!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Moto3 race was pretty good today, MotoGP was a bit boring (but more exciting than that boxing match last night) but should be pretty good for the championship down the road.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
MotoGP 2015 is going to be epic, with Rossi on form, Lorenzo coming back (hopefully), Yamaha on form, Ducati performing well, Honda strong as always and Marquez fighting back after a couple of poo poo races
Formula 1 2015 will be...Lewis holding off Nico, probably. Also hoping Ferrari make it towards the top by the end of the year and McLaren can do something for 2016.

Unfortunately there are many weekends this year where both are showing on the same weekend, which means many hours glued to the TV.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

El Hefe posted:

oh its real

Pastor even brought the skulls of a few of his victims to intimidate Grosjean thats why he's with the nervous smile

Tires are backwards - major pet peeve of mine, so that thing sucks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Funzo posted:

Monaco is going to be a parade again this year isn't it?

It always is.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Moto2 was an okay race, Moto3 was better, MotoGP is starting in about 2 minutes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Also, every time FOM feed shows the boats in the harbor.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

jazzyhattrick posted:

The apostrophe is not for plurals.

:hf:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Lewis should host the entire pre-race show for this weekend, with all his musician and fashionista pals.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
And Mercedes made der Fuhrer's cars, VW made cars to Hitler's spec - companies in Germany made money making things for the ruling dictatorship, etc., etc.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Croc posted:

I still miss Bobby K, you wonder how his career would have gone had he not died doing what he loved. Crashing into guardrails in a pointless rally.

Yeah but really all racing is pointless.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So if steampunk cosplay style from comic books, fringe sci-fi novels and video games years ago is making its way to high fashion now, does that mean we'll eventually get stick figures walking down the catwalk dressed furries, yiffing and whatever the hell else the Young People are doing now?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The intros of the Ferrari promo videos have a 4WD drifting Ferrari F1 car: http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/through-the-streets-of-monaco/

Secret strategy or accidental technology leak?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

jazzyhattrick posted:

This is very offensive.

It's etc. Et cetera! Is there such a thing as ec tecera? Of course there isn't.

You're my favorite new poster.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So how's the WAG shopping day going in Monaco?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

http://gpda.motorsport.com/

Fan survey on the state of F1. It probably won't affect anything, but you can at least declare your passion for Azerbaijan as being a fundamental spot on the season calendar.

F1 Racing magazine/Autosport/Motorsport magazines have their own survey as well: http://links.em.f1racing.co.uk/ctt?kn=3&ms=MTE0MjE2ODkS1&r=OTM3NjI4NDgyNwS2&b=0&j=NTQxMjUyMjg2S0&mt=1&rt=0 (not sure if this will work, it's an email newsletter link), the GPDA one is from the drivers themselves.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Really really super annoying at how gentle the Sky coverage was with Lewis. I didn't think they should throw accusations at him or laugh in his face, but the oh-so-gentle, overly sympathetic treatment they gave him was so irritatingly annoying.

e: I should say he conducted himself very maturely though, except for looking like he'd walk home after he parked it just before the tunnel, ran over the sign and walked off just before and just after the podium ceremony. So I guess he still behaved like a child, but once he got over it he at least said the right things.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 25, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Really enjoying the turnaround of fan opinion on Vettel.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HJB posted:

Meanwhile, Coulthard has a jab at an old thread favourite:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32874801

There's also being in the right place at the right time. A win's a win.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
According to Darren Heath's (famous F1 photographer-turned-race blogger) race blog, Mercedes radio traffic had Lewis saying he was going to go home: http://www.darrenheath.com/blog/head-on-a-plate

quote:

In the garage, and on the pit wall, the questions circulate: “Where’s Lewis?” “Is he going to show for the podium ceremony?” At the furthest end of the circuit, parked at Portiers, the third-placed Mercedes F1W 06 is stationary.

Crackling across the airwaves, Lewis is on the radio:

“I’m stopping at Portiers and going home.” Understandably less than keen to show up for Rosberg’s coronation, Hamilton has had enough.

In a calm but forceful reply, Mercedes Executive Director and long-time colleague of Lewis’s Paddy Lowe replies:

“No you’re not. You must come to the podium.”

I knew it!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ahahahaha, wtf Darren Heath. That'll knock him back a few pegs, I bet he doesn't get many close-up garage shots of Mercedes anything for the rest of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am really quite disappointed as I was convinced there was a race this weekend, and got beer and snacks in for it. Still, beer and snacks is always a good trade-off.

MotoGP at Mugello is tomorrow. Marquez is not on pole. Or even in the first 3 rows of the grid. Should be great.

• Locked thread