Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

opus111 posted:

also the entire musical output in all of Klingon history is like 3 operas. lol i love trek.

How could you possibly forget about Klingon Death Metal. For shame. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

That was inside the section 31 guy's mind so each pad was supposed to be a memory or something.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think there's one thing we're forgetting about PADDs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4H9nb03jI8

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Figaro posted:

Harry and Geordi are both pretty bad characters and the closest thing to the goon ideal.

harry;

Good- nice hair. Good at standing for long shifts. Probably not a virgin. Had a girlfriend, yes a real one.

Bad- Tom Paris is his best friend. Horrendous banter. "I'm...I'm locked out!". Acts like Captain Janeway is his mother. Only dies in other realities. Also fell madly in love with a hologram. Favourite Son. Played by Garrett Wang. Moans about being an ensign/being far from home too much..

I always found it hilarious that he stayed an ensign for the entire series. I mean like half the crew was killed off in the first episode, you'd think some higher up positions would still be open even after the Maquis crew joining.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Good question. There was the episode (The Muse) where Jake wrote a lot of stories, but it turns out he wrote on paper (!) in that epsiode. There were also a bunch of episodes where he did his reporter thing, but I'm not enough of a sperg to trawl through them to find out what he did for sure.

There was also an episode of Voyager where Chakotay writes on paper and Kneelix is shocked by this. So I'm guessing Kneelix can't write.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

If by 'write' you mean 'handwrite' then I don't think that's such a suprising thing. Even today handwriting is far less common than it was in the past with the prevalence of computers/phones/tablets, so 300 years down the line I can see it dying out completely outside of hobbyists, kind of like calligraphy today.

Which kind of makes it weird that humans at least still seem to be learning how to write then. Although there were only about two times it was shown so it might not be representative .

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Archer did the exact same thing.

Who's more insane, Archer or Janeway?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Mr. Horrible posted:

As much as I enjoy TNG, you know that if they had written it back then Picard's crew would have come up with some hand-wavy :techno: to explain how they could get the original two people back and keep Tuvix.

Then again transporters are hand-wavy bullshit all the way down. "But isn't that just vaporizing the person and creating a duplicate?" "Nope!" "How do you know?" "Reasons!"

They probably would have tried to recreate the same circumstances that led to the Riker clone. If they remembered of course.

Kitchner posted:

No they admit that's what it does. It literally disintegrates you, stores you as data, transfer the data, and then remakes you on the other side.

In Enterprise they talk about this a lot because it's a big fear.

Now if I kill you and then create an exact duplicate of you on the other side of the world with all the memories of you apart from your death and tell your clone I teleported you, would he disagree? No, because he distinctly remembers being in one place and now he's in another

Except they handwave that away in a couple of episodes by claiming you can feel being in two places at once. There was also that episode where they stick Barclay in the transporter for extended periods to talk to some lifeforms or something.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

That still doesn't explain why the universal translator sometimes doesn't translate other languages.

Like King ons saying all their Klingon poo poo, or when Picard was disguised as a romulan and they kept saying some poo poo like "Ju'lan tru" or something which will have an English translation but the universal translator decided it will be better not to translate that phrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_cGueuZoA

What I don't get about the universal translator is when they use them on away missions. Like the translator is built into the comm badge they wear right? So I can see it translating whatever the alien is saying and Picard can listen to it, but how the hell does it work for the alien if they don't have one too? If they're on a mission spying on some pre-warp society, then the aliens that they're talking to should be wondering wtf is going on because the strange man has a magic badge that does all the talking for him.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Not that it invalidates your point but the universal translator is in people's ears. That why civilians get everything translated and not just starfleet personnel. There is a scene in DS9 where Quark/Rom/Nog get their translators disrupted and are picking around in their ears with little tools to fix em.

It still doesn't explain how anyone without a universal translator is able to understand them though.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Mr. Horrible posted:

I just watched it for the first time and they ran out of material halfway into the second episode, they couldn't have kept it up even if they wanted to. Janeway hitting the reset button was the best part of that turd.

Also lol @ the idea that anyone - especially in the 90's - was going to sit through hundreds of hours of :cry: EVERYTHING IS BROKEN AND ENSIGNS KEEP DYING :cry:

It would have been the same pointless encounter of the week, just with a lot of weeping and a dirty set. They would have cancelled that poo poo within a year, and rightly so!

I have a lot of problems with Voyager but jfc goons have no idea how to make a good TV show. Do you think DS9 would have been better if every episode was them sitting in Quark's grimly starving to death?

DS 9 would have been better if it was set during the Bajoran Occupation.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i honestly really want a series that has the aesthetics of BSG but isn't post-apocalyptic or whatever

poo poo it doesn't even need killer robots it could just be two human space navies slugging it out in space

and a fatherly, gravel-voiced, hard-charging leader as commander

Try Stargate Universe.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

You should watch the one where Seven gets possessed by the Doctor.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Varia had the creepyest alien makeup.

That sharp chin line, so unpleasant even after so many years.

I always assumed she was meant to be a burn victim.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The best Star Trek game is Star Trek:Borg.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Actually I was wrong.
This is the best Star Trek game.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Figaro posted:

Malcolm always had this expression on his face like he was suffering a mild stomach upset. My favourite what a loser he was moment was in the episode where they meet an identical version of enterprise in the expanse but from a hundred years in the future and all the original crews descendants are running the ship. While everyone is meeting and greeting their relatives, Malcolm is all depressed because no woman had sex with him in his lifetime and so he doesn't have any descendents hah! Meanwhile over half the crew are related to Phlox

The best part was when the other crew members try and cheer him up by pointing out that only a third of the crew is female. But then you find out that Archer got it on with some random alien woman so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Or why adults dress like toddlers in the future?

• Locked thread