Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Squizzle posted:

True Blood is a show about magic people and the magical things they do.

gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yaos posted:

The fact that you think Klingon is a real language is absolutely hilarious. You should think about that before you embarrass yourself any further.

No poo poo Klingon isn't real, but it's "real" in the Star Trek universe, which is itself fake. You're splitting hairs about the use of a fictional language in a fictional society that doesn't, and can never, exist.

E: Let me just ask you one thing: If Klingon were an actual language, why wouldn't people actually use loan words from it?

E2: Actually, answer this question first: What is a loan word?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 14, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Anyone remember when the Hilton in Las Vegas was Star Trek themed? That was fun.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

that had to have been the most 1990s thing in existence and I'm mad I never got to go to it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'll always regret that I missed the chance to get trashed at Quark's

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Imagine being an underemployed actor in uncomfortable ferengi makeup making giant novelty drinks with names like "warp core breach" for greasy nerds on their first trip to vegas

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Zigmidge posted:

If I were in your position I'd ixnay the judgement of cromulent languages from which loan words come.

Linguistics embiggen the smallest man.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tighclops posted:

I'll always regret that I missed the chance to get trashed at Quark's

I was a kid when I went, but I grabbed a bunch of "Quark's" matchbooks. Still have one, I think.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I can always go to the dentist's office to simulate the experience of being in that one corridor on the Enterprise D

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Pththya-lyi posted:

No poo poo Klingon isn't real, but it's "real" in the Star Trek universe, which is itself fake. You're splitting hairs about the use of a fictional language in a fictional society that doesn't, and can never, exist.

E: Let me just ask you one thing: If Klingon were an actual language, why wouldn't people actually use loan words from it?

E2: Actually, answer this question first: What is a loan word?

Regardless, Klingons speaking full blown Klingon in front of federation guys should actually bear speaking English.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

Regardless, Klingons speaking full blown Klingon in front of federation guys should actually bear speaking English.

Excepting of course the untranslatable words and phases that would pepper Klingon speech.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Maybe klingons are like filipinos with their language. Not even the best translator can deal with taglish.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Entropic posted:

greasy nerds on their first trip to vegas

This was me except it kicked off my bachelor party. I told the Klingon waitress "you're hot" and she said "I feel no discomfort!"

Then I tried to trip up the Andorian waitress by asking what sex she was and she totally rolled with it, explaining that she had both of her husbands and a wife waiting for her back home.

If you don't think that rules then I don't know what to tell you.

(After a few stupid novelty drinks my buddies and I ended up doing actual bachelor party stuff so this story doesn't have the saddest ending.)

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Why cookie Rocket posted:

This was me except it kicked off my bachelor party. I told the Klingon waitress "you're hot" and she said "I feel no discomfort!"

Then I tried to trip up the Andorian waitress by asking what sex she was and she totally rolled with it, explaining that she had both of her husbands and a wife waiting for her back home.

If you don't think that rules then I don't know what to tell you.

(After a few stupid novelty drinks my buddies and I ended up doing actual bachelor party stuff so this story doesn't have the saddest ending.)

Yeah nothing like a goon bachelor party to keep a story from getting too weird, sad and cringeriffic

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Kitchner posted:

That's why all the Klingons use some cockney Klingon in those situations. The subtitles are for our benefits, the feds just have to listen to them talking about uncles and dishes and poo poo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

I'd hoped you'd stayed around to try and bang the Klingon chick. You let me down.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I keep telling people that "Year of Hell" should have been Voyager from the get-go. This would have been the perfect ending and we'd all be spared the indignity of suffering Admiral Janeway.

Maybe have the Doctor float around on a chip so some passing starship can get a recap of all the insane poo poo that happened?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The best part of the Star Trek Experience were the toilets that said "Sample collected" when they flushed

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

jesus loving christ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And loving nerds you know that's not even the worst thing they'd heard all week

Howard Beale posted:

The best part of the Star Trek Experience were the toilets that said "Sample collected" when they flushed

lol okay that owns

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Don't worry you guys might work up the nerve to rib the hired help in a party atmosphere someday.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Howard Beale posted:

Those toilets were provided by the NSA and the Star Trek Experience organisers had nothing to do with the toilets.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Howard Beale posted:

lmbo

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Kitchner posted:

Those toilets were provided by the NSA and the Star Trek Experience organisers had nothing to do with the toilets.

First they came for my stools.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Don't worry you guys might work up the nerve to rib the hired help in a party atmosphere someday.

In the glorious utopia that is Star Trek people who do this are summarily executed.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I keep telling people that "Year of Hell" should have been Voyager from the get-go. This would have been the perfect ending and we'd all be spared the indignity of suffering Admiral Janeway.

Maybe have the Doctor float around on a chip so some passing starship can get a recap of all the insane poo poo that happened?

I just watched it for the first time and they ran out of material halfway into the second episode, they couldn't have kept it up even if they wanted to. Janeway hitting the reset button was the best part of that turd.

Also lol @ the idea that anyone - especially in the 90's - was going to sit through hundreds of hours of :cry: EVERYTHING IS BROKEN AND ENSIGNS KEEP DYING :cry:

It would have been the same pointless encounter of the week, just with a lot of weeping and a dirty set. They would have cancelled that poo poo within a year, and rightly so!

I have a lot of problems with Voyager but jfc goons have no idea how to make a good TV show. Do you think DS9 would have been better if every episode was them sitting in Quark's grimly starving to death?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Mr. Horrible posted:

I just watched it for the first time and they ran out of material halfway into the second episode, they couldn't have kept it up even if they wanted to. Janeway hitting the reset button was the best part of that turd.

Also lol @ the idea that anyone - especially in the 90's - was going to sit through hundreds of hours of :cry: EVERYTHING IS BROKEN AND ENSIGNS KEEP DYING :cry:

It would have been the same pointless encounter of the week, just with a lot of weeping and a dirty set. They would have cancelled that poo poo within a year, and rightly so!

I have a lot of problems with Voyager but jfc goons have no idea how to make a good TV show. Do you think DS9 would have been better if every episode was them sitting in Quark's grimly starving to death?

DS 9 would have been better if it was set during the Bajoran Occupation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Horrible posted:

Hey, Battlestar Galactica made it work.

for a couple of seasons anyway

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

EvilTaytoMan posted:

DS 9 would have been better if it was set during the Bajoran Occupation.

Dukat did nothing wrong.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It would be cool if they did a star trek serra it's about the marquis and the series sets them up as these good guys defending their home and poo poo against the cardassian invaders because the slow lumbering federation won't get involved.

Then over the series you start going "wait a minute.... These guys are terrorists!" but by the time you realise they are space ISIS you already know and like the characters so you feel really torn.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Voyager almost went there but instead they neutered the whole idea by integrating them back into star fleet uniforms and command structure. The idea of chakotay being a true blue maquis was hilarious and unbelievable.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mr. Horrible posted:

Welcome to the somethingawful.com forums, Mr. Chuck Lorre!

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Welcome to the somethingawful.com forums, Mr. Chuck Lorre!

Not sure what a sitcom hack has to do with scifi but I'm sure that sounded like an epic burn in your head. :shrug: You know that the rest of us aren't just characters you imagine, right Daniel?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

It would be cool if they did a star trek serra it's about the marquis and the series sets them up as these good guys defending their home and poo poo against the cardassian invaders because the slow lumbering federation won't get involved.

Then over the series you start going "wait a minute.... These guys are terrorists!" but by the time you realise they are space ISIS you already know and like the characters so you feel really torn.

Everything about the marquis was terrible, including Voyager.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

have to agree, the maquis never interested me because i could never be too concerned about their plight. something about the post scarcity economy and abundance of habitable planets that makes me not care that colonists landed on like the handful of planets that happen to be on a hotly contested border. bitch, it's not even your actual home. move to another planet. the only thing that's keeping you from doing that is your insane belief that it's cool to live in some rustic agrarian fantasy village that you founded using space shuttles, teleporters and matter replicators. it's like when a historic reenactor wants to be taken seriously it's like lol i hope the cardassians kill you

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

have to agree, the maquis never interested me because i could never be too concerned about their plight. something about the post scarcity economy and abundance of habitable planets that makes me not care that colonists landed on like the handful of planets that happen to be on a hotly contested border. bitch, it's not even your actual home. move to another planet. the only thing that's keeping you from doing that is your insane belief that it's cool to live in some rustic agrarian fantasy village that you founded using space shuttles, teleporters and matter replicators. it's like when a historic reenactor wants to be taken seriously it's like lol i hope the cardassians kill you

In current times, money doesn't make you happy. Perhaps a perfect society where, huh, how did Jake Sisko word it, "we work for the betterment of ourselves" or some bollocks, rather than actually working to survive/contribute to an economy or the colony, doesn't make some people happy?

I also thought the whole "Sisko abandoning his Federation morals (making Selosis III uninhabitable) to fight Eddington who had abandoned his Federation morals" was a really interesting story - it worked well when they did something similar in "In The Pale Moonlight". Bashir does a similar thing in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" by accepting that what Sloan did was what was best for the Federation, even if he didn't agree it (at least, that's how I interpreted his choice to not expose Admiral Ross after their talk on how the Cretak situation was the lesser of two evils (the other being the possibility of Cretak negotiating peace with The Dominion), and how he didn't tell Odo about Sloan right at the end.)

As much as I respect Gene Roddenberry's views of the Federation being a utopian society, I love the fact that some people (the upper echelons of Starfleet Command (e.g. Sisko, Admiral Ross in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" and Section 31 etc.) have to work behind the scenes doing the dirty work, hidden from the public, to make sure they can have this perfect utopian society. The darker, longer entwined storylines that Roddenberry would probably never have agreed to, IMO, made Star Trek much more interesting rather than just 'random alien encounter and moral message of the week with generic alien race never seen again."

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr. Pumroy posted:

That's the point though, the show would present them as these people just fighting for their homes. The series would show you how they built the homes themselves, they had kids born on that world etc.

The audience is like "Yeah these guys are the good guys, I'm on their side!" then they start piecing together all these terrorist acts. You start seeing how some actions they claim are destroying Cardassian weapons shipments but are actually killing innocent people to.

You hear the Federation (who have really only been talked about and shown on screen to be unhelpful) trying to reason with them, offering them ways out and they refuse.

Basically you could gently caress with the entire audience by getting them to really like a set of characters and then having them slowly come to their own realisation that these guys are terrorists.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Space Injuns had a better reason for not wanting to move than the Maquis but were still bad because it was a Wesley episode

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lord of Pie posted:

The Space Injuns had a better reason for not wanting to move than the Maquis but were still bad because it was a Wesley episode

I give it extra points for being the last Wesley episode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, Battlestar Galactica made it work.

for a couple of seasons anyway

i honestly really want a series that has the aesthetics of BSG but isn't post-apocalyptic or whatever

poo poo it doesn't even need killer robots it could just be two human space navies slugging it out in space

and a fatherly, gravel-voiced, hard-charging leader as commander

• Locked thread