Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I have been interested in S:C for a while and decided to grab the Deluxe version (+ Industries, after lurking this thread and reading a few other reviews praising it). Had a very underwhelming start where I built a coal power plant instead of wind, which wiped out most my starting funds, backed myself into a corner with a made a poorly-planned highway connection, then had trouble with the water pump connections and gave up.

Came back to it this weekend and got it sorted and whoops there goes 12 hours. :kiddo: The lack of autosave is a killer though, I lost almost half of that progress when I accidentally bumped the power cord with my knee. I try to remember to save at every milestone now. I get what people say about it not really being challenging/being a traffic management sim... but I am really liking it despite being a bit offput by those descriptions. It's a bit like tending a garden mixed with urban planning (something I'm randomly interested in) - takes me back to playing SimCity 2000 as a kid. Love the soundtrack - bit of a mix of Philip Glass and Star Trek: The Next Generation, feels perfect.
  • I find the choice of roads overwhelming - it seems like you generally want to do one-way roads for most streets (aside from quieter ones with no outlet) to avoid the worst of congestion. Could anyone give me a basic rundown with tips beyond the game's description of the most useful ones? Any stinkers/road types that don't offer advantages if you can afford a higher tier?

• In my starting area/main city I've got a semi-regular grid of mostly one-way, two lane roads (with trees). Overall, after some surgery on my starting roundabout and re-routing of a few roads, traffic's not a problem right now, but I'm starting more in-fill of high density residental and commercial so naturally demand on transportaiton infrastructure will increase. I have built a metro to that end (people seemed to hate the bus) which looks to have pretty decent take-up, but I'm just kind of guessing as far as how to space the stations out. What do cims consider a reasonable walking distance?

• I made a new satillite town/district across the river with a university, offices, etc and am trying to discourage car use as much as I can. My cims refused to ride the bus - maybe the distance wasn't long enough, or maybe they're just arrogant yuppies, I dunno. I replaced it with a monorail (in progress) so hopefully ridership will increase as the community expands from the 3-4 blocks it occupies now. I've put in two-lane roads with bike lanes but this feels like a mistake - 4 lanes is pretty car friendly and I don't seem to see many cyclists using them - there is a fair bit of foot traffic though. It's connected to the main highway but I've also linked it by train/metro, the latter of which seems very popular.

• There's an island in the map that I've annexed, which I'm starting to turn into a tourism district just for fun. Similar to the one above, it's got an anti-car design ethos with no bridge (does have a one-way loop around the island just so I can place buildings), so people arrive by metro or ferry. However, it seems the radius for most of the things gets wasted on the water - have a feeling I'm much better off putting it closer to the city. True?

• I'd like to stick with vanilla for a while (may get a few QoL ones like the auto bulldoze), but would be interested in recommendations for mods that offer more options for pedestrian/bicycle traffic - bridges/underpasses would be great. Probably some other stuff too like general policies, etc but want to learn the base game for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Can't remember if it was this thread or the SimCity one, but I picked up the audiobook version of The Power Broker and it is excellent. To be fair I'm about 10 hours in and it's only just starting to talk about the city planning aspect (most of it bio/backstory) but well worth the read/listen.

I also grabbed the SimCity 2000: Power, Politics, and Planning book - it's only got a few sections that seem to look at city planning (mostly it's a strategy guide, which is itself a lovely nostalgia hit) but it's very thorough. I wish there was a printed resource that was similar for Cities:Skylines, although with the ongoing trickle of DLC I guess it'd be outdated before long.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

How playable is the switch port? My laptop can’t handle Skylines and I’m looking for something that’ll let me play it not tethered to my desktop.

Have you tried streaming it through Steam to your laptop? Latency shouldn't be much of an issue.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

A little OT but either in this thread or the Sim City one someone turned me on to Robert Caro's biography of Robert Moses, "The Power Broker". Moses was a city planner who is responsible for a lot of how NYC was developed in the mid-20th century, much of which has determined how it looks and functions (or doesn't) today. Essentially it asks the question of how, in a democracy, can someone wield such a huge amount of power without ever having being elected? It looks a lot at the man himself, his experiences as a young man entering the civil service, and how he built up the network that allowed him to in many ways shape the city to his singular vision of what it ought to be.

It's a lengthy tome but have been chipping away at the audiobook during solo drives and cleaning - it's fascinating and definitely worth a read if you're interested in some of the practicalities of city and urban planning.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

why is elementary school radius hosed?

If you know anything about the politics of school catchment area zoning IRL, this is actually a feature and not a bug :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

my friancee thought my "Your Posts" joke was too mean so I replaced the pumps with eco-friendly ones. :(

For what it's worth I loved that one.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I've picked S:C up after a long hiatus (and only getting to around 40k before). Right now finding myself in a loop where I keep having to build a new wind turbine to deal with my increasing population, which zeroes the money I was building up, rinse repeat. Have them in the windiest part of the map, population around 2.5k.

Am I doing it wrong? Or so I just need to wait until I get better power gen options?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Managed to get out of the wind power trap; was able to save up and build one of those pricey solar tower things and we've got electricity for days now, even knocked down a few of the old turbines to make room for some more roads. Was really not enjoying having the wind die down and dealing with power issues; a Tesla-style battery for renewables would be nice to see.

Google is definitely your friend in this game - was having recurring water quality issues after cleaning up Poo River, before searching it up and realising that putting a water tower in an industrial area was also the culprit.

We built an underground metro that was a bit of a white elephant - have developed a high density residential core area (surrounding a botanical gardens, university, and a few other nice things) - it was a short loop to a high density commercial area, and recently added in the industrial area as a second line. Only about 450 users per week on something that was probably well over 100k. Roughly what sort of distance should we put between stops, and what are the best sorts of things/areas to have around metro stops?

Was also thinking about starting a little satillite city - not sure whether to save up for the metro connection ($$$) or just do roads... but much of the idea behind the satillite city is trying to get away from being car-centric. Population only around 18k atm so funds/options are limited. Any suggestions? Or is this better left until later in the game?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

So my vanilla city has hit Megapolis; curious where most people go from there?

I've been whacking down monuments and leveling up my university, haven't built any big parks or other leisure areas (seems like a possibility). Also accidentally laid a heat pipe so went through my whole city and upgraded the water infrastructure, which cost me like a million dollar or something. Traffic is at 90% which I'm reasonably happy with.

It seems like I'll start running out of space to build all the things I might want to like a liberal arts and trade school, not to mention amusement parks and a few other precincts I had in mind; does the mod that unlocks the extra buildable tiles make the game much more unstable or laggy? So far in vanilla I've been fine, but my PC is a fairly old i5 (4460 IIRC), although a decent enough graphics card and RAM.

I've found mod lists, but curious which ones people like for adding more "endgame" content. Alternatively, some playstyles or mods that would suit a new game to keep things interesting.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

There's a fair bit of water and only just rolled over 70k, so it is going fine at the moment. Ive got 16 gigs of RAM

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Albino Squirrel posted:

I have one machine with 16 gigs and I can't run a city of more than about 90K on that. My other computer has 32 gigs and that seems to work OK for up to about 300,000 people, i.e. filling up most of 25 tiles. Obviously YMMV depending on other computing factors but yeah that seems to be the big choke point to me.

I've got an Amazon giftcard I need to kill and I reckon another 16GB of RAM will do nicely to topping the cart off :getin:

I'm also telling myself it's for Lightroom.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

asphalt spaghetti

Help

All I can offer you is prayers, my friend.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Jyrraeth posted:

Been recently binging CPP videos lately.... Pipes under the road where they belong, don't let perfect be the enemy of good ...

I'm on PC I should probably download some interchanges, I got stuck thinking I need to build them 100% of the time. Honestly surprised an interchange DLC of sorts didn't happen, to be honest.

I enjoy his LPs as well (especially the Tutoria series), my partner and I will have them on in the background of an evening if we don't have anything else to watch on various streaming services.

I also got her into donoteat01's series, which I dubbed "Communist Planner Plays".

Speaking of which, I've got a couple books on Soviet urbanism/city planning on my Amazon wishlist after watching Chernobyl a few months ago. Towering apartment blocks in a city of ~60k? Tell me more.

I know, the secret ingredient is totalitarianism.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Even like, a tiny bit of content discussion would have been nice.

I still wishlisted it, but felt dirty about it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Shower thought: are there any Cities:Skylines LPs where someone tries to min/max the game, like that brutalist Sim City hellgrid from 10+ years ago?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

What does multiplayer even look like in a city builder (geniune question)?

My partner and I differ enough in playstyle/goals (especially Crusader Kings...) that playing games with her watching adds another layer of gameplay, where I'm often negotiating IRL. With CS we'd normally kind of alternate in building projects/priorities.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Anno posted:

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

If you want to watch C:S Let's Play meets leftist polemical, you can't go past donoteat01's channel. He's really just using C:S as a visual medium for talking about IRL stuff.

Not Just Bikes also looks at real-world urban planning (no connection to C:S), from a lens particularly critical of car-centric infrastructure.

Robert Caro's The Power Broker is ostensibly a biography of Robert Moses, a ruthless New York city planner who effectively consolidated power around himself for a decent chunk of the 20th century, but more broadly offers a fascinating look into both urban planning and the way political power works in America. Caro is a gifted writer who makes the characters come alive on the page, and is also an intensely dedicated researcher/interviewer; he interviews not just big players like Moses, LaGuardia, etc but people from the low-income neighbourhoods Moses bulldozed to build his freeway overpasses. It's a massive tome, which is also available as an audiobook.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m so hyped for it that it may well be the final push I needed to get a new drat computer lmao

My desktop finally gave up the ghost last month and I'm limping along with an OG Surface Book for now, but I reckon my next build is going to be C:S2 centric.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 24, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

audible solar panels and batteries creating air pollution gives me hope that the devs will also be brave enough to properly simulate 5g towers melting people's brains and windmills causing mass bird and insect extinction

I’m picturing Charlie Day’s “kitten mittens” commercial from Its Always Sunny popping up in the Twitter feed thing, but with solar panels somehow.

Followed a few weeks later with an increasingly unhinged Pepe Silvia rant/cork board about solar panel noise pollution.

Make it happen, Paradox :colbert:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I'm glad I held off buying a new laptop; I had to ditch my (aging) desktop when I moved and was planning on buying a gaming laptop to replace it, setting my specs ceiling/budget pretty much entirely for C:S2. For budget reasons I decided to put it off until the end of the year, turned out to be a good idea.

I had meant to look into whether any of the streaming gaming services offered it, appreciate the post from a few pages back! May try out the middle tier and see how I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

FWIW, people on the GeForce NOW subreddit are saying the game runs well (on the premium, 4080 tier). CO has a limited number of vouchers for a free month of it if you connect your Steam/PDX accounts* and register, so I'd recommend checking that out if you're having issues.

*I'm guessing as damage control

Ihmemies posted:

Was this done earlier already? Sorry for not using the original font, too much :effort:

:discourse:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 25, 2023