Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I haven't read it all. The game is super blurry for me. With some Googling I found out it's caused by the game's own anti-aliasing. There's no setting to change the anti-aliasing, changing the graphics quality setting does nothing for the blurriness, and changing the AA through the console only stays in effect until changing area.

I fixed it by telling AMD Catalyst Control Center to force Adaptive Multisampling instead (I don't know what the Nvidia equivalent control panel is but I assume they have one). I just wanted to share this in case it helped anyone with the same issue, or if anyone had some insight (or if I missed the in-game setting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

2house2fly posted:

Fighter is probably a good way to go, tough and buff with (I think?) the least micromanagement of any class. Best spellcaster if you're into that is probably the Cipher, they have unlimited casts as long as you have enough power, and you charge power with physical attacks. For all the race/background options just go with whatever looks or sounds cool. Put points in Athletics when you level up otherwise your characters will start yawning at you constantly.

I definitely agree with this. Also I would recommend that even if you read up on builds not to just follow them blindly, just take what you think sounds interesting and fun. I think it would be difficult to actually gimp yourself in this game, and there is no need to minmax to do well on normal, which I guess is what level you'll play at. Also you get a bunch of companions so you will experience most of the classes anyway. There's no barbarian, monk or rogue companion if that affects your choice. Make sure you pump mechanics on one of your characters (a companion is okay for this) so you can deal with locks and traps. Athletics to 3 on each character is a good investment, and lore is good for using scrolls, but stealth and survival are useless.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 20, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Wizard Styles posted:

Pretty sure in this case the formation always is main character followed by the rest in the order their portraits are in at the bottom of the screen, in the standard 3 rows of 2 characters. Just drag and drop Aloth's portrait into the last spot and he'll be fine .

There's a formation editor to place the characters exactly where you want them on a 7x6 grid. Left click on the formation selection at the bottom of the screen, then when the options come up right click on one of the last two. When you're done, left click on that formation you just created to select it.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 21, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

How are u posted:

Here, I'll do a 5th review:

The game was very fun and well worth the money. The end.

Get out of here you shill and take your propaganda with you. :downsowned:

Actually, I can't help but feel someone unfamiliar with the game might come to this thread, read the bullshit drama and be put off. The game is fun and definitely worth the money. Simple as that.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 23, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like I'd be better off spending the money on magical items instead of the stronghold. I'm only in act 2 though.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Khizan posted:

I think this has to do with how they store their save games; I know that on my computer the further I get in the game the longer the load times become. This is the #1 reason why I haven't bothered replaying it, honestly. The load times get so long that I read a book during them and then just end up ignoring the game in favour of the book eventually.

Go to the save folder and move all your old save files to a new folder, it'll speed up saving and loading. I end up having to do this in a lot of games because I can't help but save way too much. Or just delete the older ones I guess.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 18, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

2house2fly posted:

How is the patch coming out within the next few days but there's still no date for the expansion?

Beta patch.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Not pictured: the black cat because it's in use.

Oh Eder, if only I could fill up all your slots with pets.

Totally the best NPC I've played with in years. I loved the bits where he wakes me up.

I've seen people on other forums complain that he breaks the atmosphere because he has an American accent in a fantasy RPG and everyone should be British and European. Ridiculous. I am British, and I think his accent suits him perfectly.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GlyphGryph posted:

.... But he's Dyrwoodian, and the Dyrwood is Fantasy America. He's not from the Fantasy British Empire, why would he have a British accent?

Exactly.

If I'm not supposed to pet him, why is he so soft?

Minor act 3 sidequest spoilers: In Sacrificial Bloodlines was anyone able to save the baby Vela without having to kill Lliras? I just wanted to remove her from the situation. I even got an ending slide to represent the fact I kept her for the rest of the game. I wonder if it will have an effect in sequels, like the golden pantaloons.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 2, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

X_Toad posted:

The only complaint I've heard about accents is someone on the Obsidian boards saying that the absence of any accent from Sagani really pulled him out of the game and broke his immersion.

That's absurd. Every single person on the planet has an accent, no matter what language they speak.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Please tell me I'm not the only person who would never use party AI and actually loves using the pause system to micromanage my entire party.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I guess I'll just have to wait for Nexus Mods to create the Iselmyr Romance Mod then. :sigh:

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

I mean, I don't disagree, and I wouldn't really want "full" romances in a game like Pillars. You know, how Bioware crams like a year's worth of relationship into roughly 2 weeks of game time? It always feels forced.

But at the same time, I wouldn't mind if certain NPCs you could at least flirt with or something (Aloth, Hiravias, and Pallegina come to mind, mostly for humor value).

Obsidian can even surpass Bioware with progressive romances. A bisexual poly romance between a male PC, Aloth and Iselmyr, who ask Grieving Mother to carry their surrogate child. Is that what you want? Because that's what's going to happen.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Furism posted:

I have a terminology question. According to my Kindle's dictionary, "Leaden" means either "very heavy" or "made of lead." Which definition is correct for the "Leaden Key" ? I'm not a native english speaker so I might have missed the proper sense.

I reckon it can mean both and has no single definition. The schemes that the Leaden Key are up to are definitely "very heavy", as in they hold a lot of gravity. But a key can be made from a substance, such as lead, and Woedica also has a Paladin order called the Steel Garrote, which again has the "substance - item" naming.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Furism posted:

Cool, thanks for all that. Does a key made of lead has a specific meaning, or does the name just sounds cool (maybe because of the double entente that Konsek pointed out) ?

Also, on a totally different note, is anybody aware of any "rule" that Obsidian used to create people names in the game? I couldn't find anything in the Guidebook. I'm asking because I have an itch to build a name generator (based on gender/culture) but short of putting syllabs together I have no idea how to build names that make sense.

The wiki has this: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_Names

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Adra dragon was a fun fight. That one, the final fight, and some of the harder bounties were so much fun, having to use everything I had, my top level spells, all 6 characters using the summoning items, filling the screen with craziness. Good times.

I'd love to fight an even more difficult dragon.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I found seven summoning figurines throughout the game. I gave one to each character in my party and started big fights like that by getting everyone to use one, while Eder and Pallegina dived in to take up all the engagement, and my casters spread out and spammed spells. That was it. No kiting, no cheesing. Make use of flanking (which is easy with summons). Durance to buff the poo poo out of the party (and very occasional healing), Aloth to debuff the poo poo out of the enemies, Hiravias is a great damage dealer, and my Cipher PC cast Mental Binding and Amplified Wave over and over on the dragon, while the others took out the other enemies and Eder kept the dragon engaged.

The pause system is your friend, micromanage your party. There might be more efficient ways of doing it, but that's how I did it, no KOs for my party and no reloading (and no scrolls or other items now I think about it). I did that fight on Hard, and of course on level 12. If a fight is giving you trouble, come back at a higher level.

I'm not really a min/max gamer so I actually started on Normal. I switched to Hard before I left the starting village and in Defiance Bay I was wishing I'd played POTD, but I didn't want to start over.

That's pretty much how I dealt with every fight really, except usually I would be more sparing with the per rest spells.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Eder and Hiravias are my bros. Kicking asses, reading souls, petting stelgars and making jokes about your mother all day long.

I enjoyed Durance a lot too, he's one angry bastard, and (ending/Durance spoiler)I love the way he snaps when all those truths are found out.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a consensus on what weapons to dual wield for a melee damage focused rogue? I was thinking sabres because of the high damage and ease of acquiring good ones early.

I came across this a while ago: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vDm5MOrCK6S95h5u0EzZbGTv_u_rYqjuO0-zupqk0_A/edit?pli=1#gid=1535795540

A lot of numbers about how much damage base weapons do. Page 2 has DPS against every DR from 0 to 20.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GlyphGryph posted:

Party composition also matters. If you have a Chanter giving all your weapons an additional 50+ damage per hit, the smaller and faster weapons get a significant boost to DPS.

Yeah sure, and buffs, and other bonuses on weapons, all might be worth more than a few points of damage, and so on. But more information is never a bad thing.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

One of the big disadvantages is losing the establishment of Kickstarter. Look at how much less Indiegogo campaigns get compared to Kickstarter campaigns. Now you want to switch to a site that's totally new?

Interplay revived the corpse of Black Isle Studios, went for crowdfunding on "InvestedIn" and raised a massive...

Wait for it...

$6,630. Phew.

http://invested.in/P3507/black-isle-studios

Can't wait to play that sweet Fallout Online Project V13.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It's been over a year since I've played and completed the base game, and I'm just beginning the White March expansions now. I've got these level 11 guys and can hardly remember a drat thing about spells. I kinda remember spamming Amplified Wave on my Cipher for a while, along with Slicken and Blizzard on Aloth and Hiravias. Is there a spells megapost somewhere in the thread? Getting to grips with all the spells for three classes at once is a bit overwhelming compared to working them out for myself level by level as the game goes on. I can't remember anything about Durance's spells but I remember he was awesome :(

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Spell chat. Thanks for the replies, It's helped me get back into the game and get a foothold on casting in my first few fights as I work out (remember) what spells I like for myself. Shapeshifting seems to have become good in a patch, so I haven't really been using any spells as I decided to respec Hiravias as a shapeshifter. Dude's a beast, figuratively and literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I think if all Eder talked about was his brother he'd be more like a one dimensional Bioware character. I love the fact that he and others have more realistic personalities and multiple facets and don't just harp on about the same topic over and over.

Say your mother died when you were young. It was traumatic. Would you talk about it at every conversation? No. You wanna live life, pet vicious wolves and make bestiality jokes. Or maybe making wise cracks and petting cats is Eder's coping mechanism.

• Locked thread