Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

people are pasting from obsidian forums about this issue

holy poo poo I hope no one is actually making original posts about this ITT because :lol: in your general direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Popete posted:

On the one hand it feels kind of gamey to use doorways too funnel the enemy. But on the other hand it totally worked to defeat Raedric's gang.

using chokepoints in a tactically sound manner is gamey?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rope kid posted:

At least on our forums, more people select him as the companion they like the most.

was his personality and/or dialogue changed when he was switched from Rogue to Fighter or did that happen too early in his development?

e :I also like Eder the most. He seems the most level-headed and pragmatic of all the companions, which is a tremendous boon in a world wracked by ideological warfare.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

My only issue with the combat system is fuuuuuuck Gaze of the Adragan and all other Petrify effects

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rope kid posted:

In 1.04 or 1.05 we reduced the power of Petrify, generally, and Gaze of the Adragan, specifically.

holy crap you mean it used to be even more ridiculous? :gonk:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Industrial posted:

Huh, OK, wouldn't they look like different people in past lives? It always says "you see this man" or "you see this woman."

When the main character has memories of past lives he/she is all kinds of different genders and races.

would it be clearer if it said "This man's soul, inhabiting its previous body" every single time?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Industrial posted:

I know this is probably the correct response and I know that I'm being very nitpicky. This is honestly one of the highest quality games I have ever played overall so the fact that this one somewhat significant piece of the game seemed totally inconsistent from the game world lore's internal logic the developers created explicitly for this game just really stood out to me.

I was reading it as memories from the current life which really pissed me off because at one point I read someone's soul and he was some kind of master archer instructor who shot a deer blind from like 400 yards and it pissed me off that my character didn't even consider trying to recruit him.
You mean lovely loving Mary Sue self-inserts written by video game fans don't quite fit into the game's carefully crafted lore? Shocking.

The real problem here is that Obsidian didn't do any QA on the backer content because, y'know, 77000 backers. See also: the tombstone debacle

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rope kid posted:

Durgan steel is mentioned in a few places in the core game lore. It's not inherently magical, but it is extremely high quality steel that was produced through unknown techniques, only in the White Forge of Durgan's Battery.

There's at least one (maybe only one) weapon in the base game made of Durgan steel, the Last Blade of the White Forge.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=Pillars_Items_Page&_cgifunction=search&Pillars_Items.id=564

technically, if we restore the White Forge in this expansion, won't that name become laughably inaccurate?

gently caress yes, we get to destroy an item's legend!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

*Also https://eternity.obsidian.net/ now featuring Eder and Itumak

:3: if he's not supposed to pet him, why is he so soft?!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A good rule of thumb with Caed Nua is to keep going down the floors until spotting the next encounter makes you go "NOPE NOPE NOPE" and then coming back a little while later

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thought everyone having issues with that fight was attempting it on PotD, where the stat boosts push the monster to nigh-unhittable status :confused:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

2. Put elemental Lashes on everything, they are good and cheap. Corrosive is generally the safest bet, Burning is good against some problematic enemies, Shocking fries people in plate armor, Freezing is eehhhh. Beyond that, I'd only invest in weapons that already come with unique enchantments. Draining, Rending, Marking and Coordinating are always good. Guarding for tanks, Rending for DPS. Anything with more than one such enchantment deserves consideration (especially since you probably won't be able to upgrade all your weapons to the Superb quality, so the enchantment point cap doesn't matter all that much in practice). The Speed enchantment is apparently broken somehow.

okay did I completely misunderstand lashes? I thought it boosted elemental damage DONE, not add bonus elemental damage on top - meaning it was completely useless for physical damage dealers.

well, gently caress. I could've made things much easier for myself.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

double nine posted:

I'm going through my party for some inventory management and - I feel like the starting gear for Aloth and Edér are more than good enough for the end-game. Am I missing anything important because the armor stats and abilities seem more than good enough. Especially if I throw in a few more enchantments...

I never got a hang of this, by the way: how important is recovery speed?

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about this will correct me with specific frame reductions or some poo poo, but the gist of it is every action your character takes has a set base speed, followed by recovery time. Speeding up recovery thus makes your character perform EVERY action faster by reducing the "cooldown" period between actions, even if it has no effect on the actual speed of the actions like Dexterity does.

Recovery speed is thus primordial for casters and damage dealers, but extremely low priority for tanks.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

zedprime posted:

Ugh what an awful narrative arc, I can't believe the PC didn't personally unravel mysteries as old as recorded history on the side of saving the Dyrwood.

The revelations the Watcher receives in Sun-in-Shadow are quite enough. In the hands of a convincing speaker they could topple entire nations and launch world-spanning wars.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Rationalist arguments don't have a great history of displacing religion even when God isn't quantifiably real, very few people would give a poo poo who didn't beforehand

Who said anything about rational? The Watcher has personal knowledge in the matter from the past lives he's directly interacted with. Have his visions ever been doubted in the game? It seemed to me everywhere you go, the Dyrwoodians deferred to Spooky-vision to settle arguments and unravel mysteries.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lol if your druids ever do anything but spam their incredibly powerful spells.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Volume posted:

Fetid Carcass is the worst, Yeah I totally want to lower the all the attributes, will, and fortitude of my front line fighters, thank you.

What's the difficulty in targeting the spell *at the ground right behind the front line*? It's not a huge fireball aoe, it's basically target + whatever is immediately next to it.

e : and that's assuming you play on Expert where you don't have a clear visual indicator of the AOE & friendly-safe AOE radius

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's safe to assume anything which deals 1000 damage without a gimmick is probably a bug

or the instant-kill effect on targets with Low Endurance (every other similar effect has insane Raw damage numbers - check out the detonation for Ciphers)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rascyc posted:

For me it'll depend on when the actual expansion takes place and what levels its tuned for. If it's a side quest thing in the middle of the normal campaign, then eh. I think the initial reveal just said it takes place after the first game's events so I assume it's going to be balanced for the higher level cap or somewhere just shy of it.

didn't that preview say you have the option to scale the expansion content to max level OR to face it at its regular level?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Without it devolving into a full City Builder, I would've liked for the stronghold to visually represent it serving as an enclosure for a small hamlet. A few homes, a farm or two and a small bustling market would've made it feel alive to me.

e : basically, add a gaggle of peasants milling about so I know who I'm getting the taxes from

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Octo1 posted:

I'd also like the option to hide non-magical items in shops.

I want a "sell all nonmagical items" button.

My OCD refuses to leave those on the mangled corpses on my foes, drat it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Am I right in thinking gunner is totally useless?

Arquebus - 50 frame attack+74 frame recovery+194 frame reload=318
Arquebus with gunner - 50+74+155=279
=~12% faster

That's 9 attacks before you get one extra. How many battles last for 9 arquebus shots?

Well it's not like you get 9 shots, then a double, right? If each shot (after the 1st) happens faster, resulting in potentially less enemy actions, then couldn't that 12% faster second shot kill an enemy mage before, say, his Gaze of the Adragan is cast?

It's a lot of hypothetical, so the value is dubious at best, but I don't think it's fair to say it's 100% useless.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Octo1 posted:

Ogre ghosts

Charm-casting ogre ghosts

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Volume posted:

I got a PotD companion run going with plans to uber tank with Eder. Dual wield weapons that allow +1 engagement so he can hold off 6 peeps at once

How's it doing? I was thinking about it and it seems there's really no reason to go with a shield for your tank - the shields only boost your tank's already-high Deflection save.

Is it viable?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

No, a few of them need to be in a side room in an extremely early dungeon so a bunch of pricks can go "maybe you should back to that dungeon later when you're ready :smug:"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

by that logic the "Correct" ending to Grieving Mother's quest sees her dead at my hand.

not saying you're wrong, mind you, just sayin'

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rope kid posted:

There are a non-trivial number of players that absolutely loathe strongholds as a concept and never want to interact with stronghold mechanics. It's difficult to make something feel robust and rewarding but also completely optional.

And yes, the stronghold is a money sink. We have virtually no economic drains in the game. Purchased items, crafting, and the stronghold are the only three and they're all things you don't actually have to interact with (though most people buy a decent number of items).

that last bit has my curiosity piqued - do you keep stats of how much gold players spend, which items are most often purchased, etc? it seems to me a lot of items are no-brainers, while a good bit are lackluster compared to items you would normally have at that point (assuming a thorough player that explores and does sidequests)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I would've liked Twin Elms better if it was only split into two sections. I hate loading screens :argh:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DrShevek posted:

These are the quests from ONE of the strongholds from BG2 (in addition, of course, to the fight to get it which got you the flail of ages).

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Ruling_the_de%27Arnise_Keep_and_Lands

Additionally there was the planar sphere, the bard one, the rogue one and one more if i remember right.

but you couldn't get more than one stronghold's quests (without modding the game)

e : the ruling quests. You could do the quests to acquire them all, yes.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Has any developer ANYWHERE ever made a gently caress You Suck My Dick game that wasn't also a colossal flop that bankrupted their studio? I'm trying to come up with an example and I'm drawing a blank.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Demon's Souls is just a revamped King's Field, no? Not exactly a departure from the fan expectations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

..are you saying you expect a free xpac for Pillars expanding the stronghold?

because lol at that idea in tyool 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Use scrolls from your DPS classes next time, it uses their accuracy IIRC

Although gaze is the real champ on that every single difficult fight.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Scorchy posted:

Sweet painting but it just reminds me of how bullshit it was that she only drops two eyes.

omg, how did I not notice Itumaak immediately :3:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Furism posted:

Also, most of the time the extra dialogue options add flavor (as in "it feels more roleplay") but won't lock you out of any extra content or possible quest outcome.
as much as I liked the emphasis on roleplay, it also severely hindered my desire for additional playthroughs

if nothing I say changes what happens, then it hardly matters if I say anything at all. Going through the game once on PotD while being thorough basically let me see everything there was to see..

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pretty sure concurrent chants don't stack?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hey guys remember those games that weren't crowd-funded? Remember how the players who didn't fund the game didn't complain that the features they didn't specifically fund weren't up to their non-existent expectations?

isn't that relevant? I'm so cool :cool:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so a key that slowly poisons you every time you use it? I can dig that.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hawgh posted:

My favourite armor is probably the green one you get from whathisface beneath Caed Nua. Dead guy on a hand.

:love: Argwes Adra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Aren't ciphers, like, legitimately the worst class against single, super-hard-to-hit megabosses due to the way Focus generation works?

• Locked thread