Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Harlock posted:

Was the game able to be finished in beta testing? How long did it usually take people?
ropekid had invested about 65 hours in his latest playthrough(hard difficulty, many sidequests, but not all).

Now that I see the old map on this site, will you update the site with the new version ropekid?(see here: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81ljLUWjuwL._SL1500_.jpg)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

ded posted:

Is it possible to go full oldschool UO in this game and be a plate mail wearing wizard who shoots bolts of death and also uses a giant god drat halberd?

No, There are no halberds in the game only pollaxes and pikes. But every class can equip every normal armor and weapon.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For your damage dealers you don't want any armor heavier than a breastplate because the speed reduction really really tells -- some people like to essentially go naked but I find that too extreme personally.

If you go naked, you will loose one item slot with enchanted equipment, so it isn't really optimal. Clothes also give no speed reduction, but you can enchant them.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Would something like BG's Wand of Monster Summoning, i.e. items of unforeseen levels of power, count? I mean you probably don't have a literal Wand of Monster Summoning (or if you do it's got the later-IE summon limit) but you know, there's probably going to be that one consumable of ridiculous usefulness. Or multiple ones.

There are figurines in the game that summon creatures, but you can only have one summoned creature ability(some abilities summon more than one creature) active. I think figurines aren't consumed, but you can use them once per resting.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Roguelike posted:

I don't think wizards get per encounter spells. You'll probably want to max dex anyway though since perception is worthless to wizards and resolve and concentration are mostly worthless.

Perception isn't worthless for wizards. Most spells have an average interupt and interrupting more than one person is very good. The other time you will atack with the default weapon and Blast also has an average interrupt. Concentration is more useful if you are doing melee wizards.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Ehh, from what I've seen and the analyses people post, return on invested points is minimal, and more importantly if a wizard wants to interrupt he has hard cc which automatically interrupts if it hits. Same reason per isn't too useful for ciphers. If they want to interrupt they just paralyze.

You don't have to use a limited ability for interrupting, especially with blast you will do aoe interrupts without using any ability. At the moment I thiink the the influence of per and con is too low, it should be more around 6. I think maybe they should even remove the influence of grazes, hits and crits and every time you graze or above you will have the same chance to interrupt.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 18, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

So to fix that you would do...what, ideally? That kinda sucks (and seems silly) that there's this whole combat option that is inferior to the degree you describe. Like, there are one-handed (not S&B) abilities you can level up and select, right?

It's not that bad. You get + 10 accuracy, how much that helps depends on your accuracy deflection difference. If it's a normal difference the weapon style, will have 30% chance to make a difference. I think increasing the accuracy bonus would help.

The problem is the talent it only gives you a 20 % graze to hit chance, that talent hae only a chance of 7 %(and it only decreases if you have too high/low accuracy) to activate and will increase the damage + 50%. Now compare that to the x1.1 damage of two handed, the + 10 deflection bonus and the + 20 % attack speed of dual wielding.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 18, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
About the 1h weapon against 2h weapon: if the enemy has 0 dr a 1h weapon is better than a 2h weapon if you have 30 or less accuracy as the enemies defense(e.g. you have 30 accuracy the enemy has 60 deflection). If the dr of the enemy is higher you seem to need a lot worse accuracy.(If you take the average damage of the two weapon styles). Fun fact if you increase the bonus to + 15 accuracy(the old value), you will need only the same accuracy or less as the enemies defense, to make 1h weapons stronger.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Is it a spoiler to ask how many factions there are in the game?
I think there are 11 factions.
4 factions for towns
4 factions in defiance bay
3 factions in twin elms.

My first thought was "absolutely" but actually are there two-handed axes in this game?
Only Pollaxes are two handed.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Are there any equipment-based bonuses to spells or non-weapon talents at all, or is leveling up (and/or increasing stats like Might, which of course affect everything you do and presumably come on items) the only way you can improve those?
Every class has one unique item. There are also one non unique item that increases spell damage and one that increases aoe range of abilities. (Not sure if you still find them in the beta, but they were in earlier versions)
Many cipher spells have a better accuracy , as standard weapons of fighters without the talent. Cipher have 25 accuracy and the best accuracy is 30, but many of the cipher spells give + 10 accuracy.
A wizard has only 20 accuracy, but there are a few spells with + 15 accuracy and one has + 20 accuracy.
I would like spell school talents for the expansion or a patch.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

The one thing I'd really like to see in a stream is a screenshot of what's available at the starting vendor. Can I buy a gun? A frilly fancyhat?
Unlikely that you can buy a gun. They are more expansive than other ranged weapons. so I think it's likely that you don't find guns in the early game like plate armor and you only find guns after you find fine weapons.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

What the gently caress is this thread title? Is it a reference to something specific?

or are goons just being creepy obsessive weirdos as per usual?

it's a reference to this post of the project lead:

quote:

That's genuinely cool, but we didn't Kickstart a game called gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience where I do whatever I personally think is sound and neat and good.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Don Mega posted:

Can't decide if I want my main to be a druid or chanter. I guess I'll flip a coin on release day.

Maybe it helps, but they play very different. Druid is a standard caster with the ability to transform into a melee form once every fight. The chanter has a cycling list of buffs/debuffs and can cast every 12 or more seconds a big "spell". Druid is the more active class as the chanter. Chanters have the cooler summons as the druid (one with a charming passive ability, one with a sneak attack and drakes and ogres for the highest levels). Druids have better healing spells, the chanter has only one passive ability that heals. Chanter have better non healing support abilities.

I like the chanter more as a ranged non healing supporter and summoner and I play the druid more of a melee/reach damage dealer that is specialized in one element likely either shock or freeze.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Prism posted:

What are the advantages of wizard over druid (or vice versa) for an offensive caster? I know druids can spiritshift but I heard it was pretty useless, and I'm not sure how their spells stack up in both the debuff and damage departments.

I thought spiritshift forms were pretty powerful. They have 8 dr without any speed reduction(breastplate with the same reduction give you a -40 % penalty). The damage is higher as two handed weapons and they use the two weapon style with unarmed weapons. One problem I could see if the armor/weapons doesn't level up that, they are only viable at low level. There is also one talent that add elemental damage to your spiritshift attack(+ 30 % damage, ropekid updated this after beta release) and a second that increases the elemental damage(+ 15 %).

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

A Shieldbearer of St. Elcga could fit.

What do you mean? The description doesn't mention a god.

steel Garrote(Woedica) and the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr(Eothas) are both paladin orders that are associated with a god, but they are both not playable in the game.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

You sound like you've played Druid a fair bit. Any commentary or advice on the different varieties of Spiritshift? Did you find one more useful than the other?

As someone who hasn't played the backer beta, the descriptions I'm finding on the wikis are fairly bare bones. That and Baldur's Gate 2 has taught me to mistrust theory over practice.

Most of my playtime was in older builds and all classes changed a bit between versions and I play only on normal. In the recent patch I only played the cat form for a longer time. I will likely never play the wolf form, because I don't like movement boni and per rest knock down is also not very convincing for me. The problem with the cat form, was that I didn't use the 1/per rest ability often. I only used it if I know that this would be the last fight and even then only if I remebered that I still had this ability. I will likely change to the boar form for the full game, because it only has passive abilities.

I also liked the the charm beast ability, the enemies won't attack you for 30 seconds and they will likely be attacked by their old friends.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Ladolcevita posted:

I'm quite certain that the kickstarter pet and item are seperate from the pre-order pet and item. They haven't anounced them yet but I think the kickstarter pet will be an obsidian wurm and the item will be the cloak of the obsidian order.

They are two different things see here:

quote:

quote:

Do we know what the special Kickstarter-only in-game items are yet?
We have not talked about them, no. Just that it is an item and a pet.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm really hoping the Druid gets nerfed by release if it's possible. They're pretty ridiculous in comparison to the other casters, as they can do more AoE damage than the Cipher or Wizard, and their healing spells actually outperform anything the Priest can put down.

The most overpowered ability is charm beast. It does have a time of 30 seconds, the single target spell of a cipher has only 10 seconds and the chanter invocation has only 6 seconds. It should be better as the cipher and chanter ability, because it's a per rest ability and only works against beasts, but not that much.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm trying to think of what would make Lay on Hands have a little more oomph to it. I was thinking giving it an additional effect would be nice, but I'm not sure what that additional effect could be.

Shieldbearers have a talent that gives the target + 10 deflection. I also thought it was pretty helpful if you only have one harmed character.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Sensuki posted:

Nah there's no chance of that, attack resolutions can only change once. I recall rope kid saying 1H style got a bump to 30% graze-to-hit, because 20% of 35% is too small.

But it can change back to the worse attack, if the enemy has an ability/item that lowers the attack. e.g. you have confident aim and the enemy has a shield with vigilance, if your graze is changed to a hit it can still changed back to a graze.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

If you're hitting the targets with any combination of those abilities, the Flanked benefit from Phantom Foes is gonna be overwritten. I'd say add Frighten to it but then it's impinging on the territory of Secret Horrors. Maybe it's more worthwhile if you're playing like an all-rogue gimmick party and really want to encourage sneak attacks, so you need the "flanked" status by itself regardless of it's debuff effect?

There are boots that gives you a damage bonus to flanked enemies and there is a weapon mod that gives you a damage bonus against flanked, stunned or proned enemies. Not that I use this ability, on second level I mostly use the paralyze ability.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 20, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

I'll admit it might be marginally useful in a few edge cases but on the whole it is a bad ability that needs improvement.
I don't disagree with this statement, I just wanted to add that flanking the enemy can be useful even if you have better deflection mali on the enemy. Flanking is also useful for the rogue's deathblows to add a second affliction.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

He's changed so much around that I'm hesitant to even comment but the build I'm planning for release is a human with 19 Int, 16 Might, 13 Dex. Talents are Biting Whip at 2nd, Ruffian skill set at 4th (stilettos and blunderbuss), Draining Whip at 6th (for an additional +16 focus per blunderbuss blast), and Penetrating Shot at 8th.

Powers I'm planning ATM are:

1) Eyestrike (good foe aoe debuff), Soul Shock (it's surprisingly potent and useful)
2) Mind Blast
3) Mental Binding, maybe Mind Blades
4) ??? There really isn't a good choice imho
5) Puppet Master. Maybe fractured volition,
6) Maybe secret horrors
7) Pain Block, Body Attunement
8) Silent Scream

Just based on what I found worked in the Backer Beta. I'm more confident in the earlier picks than the later ones. Whisper of Treason is also a great pick but there are lots of good options for first level powers and Puppet Master is the best thing at its level.

Build will benefit highly from stacking damage enchantments on the blunderbuss (including Shocking Lash, etc.) Biting Whip is more generally useful and you don't really need the additional focus from Draining Whip until you're higher level and have your meter expanded.

An alternative build would be to go melee dual weild and emphasize Dexterity over Might. With that build you'd take Draining Whip first probably, and more of those beam powers.

Why don't you choose Whisper of treason on the 4th level?
My cipher builds just ignore might and damage completely and go for a full dexterity and intellect builds, mostly ranged so I can also ignore defensive attributes. I use whisper of treason more often as puppetmaster, becuase it costs only half the focus of puppetmaster, and most of my focus is used for mental binding. It's also good against strong enemies, because they go faster down if their old friends attack them.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
Prima has posted a few new scrrenshots with a few obvious tips, here.
There is one interesting screenshot with a companion asking to join your group. I think the area hiravias is in, is stormwall gorge(backer area with lions)

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 20, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

So, from what I understand, companions cover all the classes but Monk, Barbarian and Rogue, but is there a class that you can double up on and not have a problem? I'd like to have a Companions Crew, but I'm going to be frustrated if having two fighters or two ciphers or two chanters or whatever.
The only one where I can see problems to have more than one character of each class are the buff classes with modal abilities(paladin and chanter). Because buffs don't stack with each other. If you make a second paladin, she should be either ranged or have a different modal as the companion. The chanter should choose different phrases, because the chanter will likely buff the whole group.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Beyond that, is there a class that's just more fun to play?

Which class is fun to play is highly subjective. I like the paladin, druid, chanter, cipher, priest, wizard and rogue. I like to have a fighter in my group, because they are good tanks. I'm not sure about the ranger and monk, but will likely play an implement monk just for a fun playthrough and I don't like the the barbarian.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Roguelike posted:

The way attack resolution works in this game though, any ability that only sometimes procs on misses (base 7.5% of attacks + then you need a successful attack roll) is going to have trouble being relevant. It might be better suited working on all attacks and having an internal cooldown instead.

That's not true, procs are best suited for Misses and crits, because you can increase the chance with a good defense/accuracy value. shield fighters have a miss chance of around 35 % and if you debuff the enemies you will likelly have a miss chance of 60 %.

Furism posted:

I thought Evasion triggered an attack if any Reflex-targeting attack missed, but I might be misremembering, I'll have to check.

It does now, in earlier versions it triggered also by deflection attacks.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are normal customers/backers getting PDF copies of those guides? I used to require actual books for bathroom reading but now I live in the future

I'm not sure what the second book is, but one seems to be the manual and every digital copy, has a digital manual.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

X_Toad posted:

It felt like a "vanilla Warcraft 3" situation to me : one is a big manual that gives all the details about the game, including the lore, and the other one is a smaller manual that focuses on the gameplay side of things.

The weird thing is that the german boxed version, only has one manual listed at the amazon page.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

WastedJoker posted:

How are skills levelled up? Or are they fixed at char creation?
How are abilities levelled up?
How are talents levelled up?

What sort of things do items buff? Skills, abilities or talents or a mixture?
1. Every level up(not on the first level) you get 6 points to level your skills up. Each skill costs cost 1 point more to increase(e.g. first level costs 1 point, second two point, third three points....), If you don't use skill points you can use them the next level.
2. Every non caster can choose every odd level one ability. Wizards, and ciphers choose every odd level 2 spells and every even level one spell. Druids and priests get all their spells for the new spell level every odd level. Non weapon abilities get an accuracy bonus for every level, but other than that abilities don't get automatically stronger.
3. Every even level you choose one talent.

4. Items can buff defenses, attributes and skills. Most items don't buff one specific ability, but their is one item for every class that can buff only one ability. examples for broad item buffes would be increased spell defense, increased spell damage, increased ability aoe range, increased damage against flanked enemies, increased defense against specific aflictions, increased defense while under a specific affliction ...

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 21, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

If you go by the affliction text only the best or worst boni/penalty should be active, from the glossary:

quote:

Afflictions are explicitly bundled sets of status effects that can be applied to, suspended, or fully removed from a character. While some afflictions have explicit overriding or exclusivity rules, most afflictions can co-exist with other afflictions.

When a spell is cast on a target, it and its subordinate effects and afflictions are all bundled together in a procedurally-bundled container created by the spell.

If these procedurally-bundled containers are applied while an identical version is in effect (e.g. Blessing cast on someone already under the effect of a Blessing), the new version replaces the old.

No matter how many effects are on the target, generally only the best bonuses and the worst penalties are applied.

Some creatures can be immune to one or more afflictions. If so, these afflictions cannot be applied to those creatures.</DefaultText>

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

Has anyone seen how much of an effect behavior has on Faith and Conviction or Holy Radiance?

I'm pretty sure I read that NPCs won't have access to behavior bonuses/penalties, which might help me decide which class to play as.

^^^ That is how I thought debuffs worked as well.

The paladin modifier doesn't work in the beta, because the defense bonus isn't updated.
The priest gives a +/- 20 % bonus to the damage / healing amount of holy radiance. Maximum amount would be + 120 % if you have both positive reputation to level 3.(The maximum reputation level is 4, but the 4th level doesn't give you any bonus)

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

drgnvale posted:

Are any of the companions focused on mechanics? With traps and locks giving XP (and traps being so god drat deadly and useful) I really feel like I should have someone in the party who can do all that stuff. I don't mind taking those on the PC, but I was hoping to take things that were more likely to show up in dialog checks.

No idea, but rope kid had problems with traps in his stream a few months ago. Chanter, ciphers and wizards all get + 1 mechanic so your best bet would be one of those companions. You meet aloth at level 2 so he wouldn't loose that much points, even if he doesn't has leveled up mechanics, I'm not sure about his background because he has a companion only background

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any chance we're getting the Collector's Book or the Almanac before Friday?

They said that they want to make the digital stuff(almanac, collector's book, except the strategy guide) available for download early next week.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 23, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
I hope it wasn't posted in this thread, but Obsidian has released the screenshots for the inn from gamebanshee and also a tiny little bit of lore about it: https://www.facebook.com/obsidian/posts/10152775454061593

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is sometimes true. Most interactions involving party transitions will test the entire party - the rope crossing in the beta and the water diving in the previews both did this.

There seem to be two variants of party testing in scripted interactions. In the first variant only the character with the lowest score gets the affliction( e.g. the threshold is athletics 4, but tim has 3 athletics, tom 1 and timmy 2. Only tom gets the affliction. ) In the second variant all characters that are below the threshold get the affliction(e.g. in the above example tim, tom, and timmy all get the affliction).

VDay posted:

Is there a video/stream of someone who's gotten all the companions yet? I'm curious about the Druid and Paladin ones since they have some unique abilities/backgrounds that we couldn't see in the BB.
Spoiler from released screenshots:
the streamers aren't allowed to show anything after the stronghold and you get the druid after the stronghold

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Furism posted:

20 GB according to a very recent dev post.

I thought it was 14 Gb, see here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71176-difference-in-hard-drive-usage-between-steam-and-gog/#entry1587163

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Quick question:

Weapon Focus (Peasant) includes Unarmed. Does that count Spiritshift claws?

Yes spiritshift claws get the unarmed bonus.(and the two weapon bonus)

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Cthulhuite posted:

Steam pre-orders are getting priority over backers? This is an outrage, I don't even have my keys yet! Obsidian are literally taking money from my pockets, I'll be speaking with my lawyer post haste and furthermore-

(but seriously, gimme keys)

here is the reason why you now can preload the game on steam:

quote:

I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow.
source: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71554-pre-load-is-now-available/#entry1594832

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright, that's a relief then.

How does Chanter/Cipher ability progression work? They don't have a table and don't seem to have any other explanation either, at least not one I found while glancing over the class descriptions.

Cipher works the same as any other class and gets a new spell level every odd level. (It isn't listed in the table, because the list was about per rest spells and cipher uses focus) The chanter gain a new invocation level on 1, 6, 10 and a phrase level one the level 1,5,9. They gain a new invocations every even level(exception is the first level) and new phrases every odd level.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Mozi posted:

Weird in a sense that doesn't match the weirdness of the rest of the setting. I don't really understand how their weird eye-covering doodads that they can see through fit in with 'souls are real.' The initial impulse was 'wouldn't it be cool if we had planetouched,' which is true, but it still seems like it's not a perfect fit to me.

I don't think it's really a large stretch for a setting that has transformation magic in it, that childreen can have mutations.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

BitterAvatar posted:

So is there a particular stat that influences guns and makes them better for certain classes? It is very important that I have a blunderbuss at all times.

Might increases all damage and dexterity increases action speed. So both stats would make a gun better. There are also talents that make ranged weapons or specific weapon types better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
All ethniticities/races have places where they are more common. e.g. you rarely see savannah humans in the aedyran empire.

From the manual about pale elves:

quote:

Glamfellen appear to be among the most stationary ethnic groups in the known world, migrating within the polar region but seldom venturing far north. They are rare in all northern lands, and most people consider them exotic (if they have seen one at all)

• Locked thread