Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

Votes are currently split between Qak and Porgindris. Voting will close in 5 hours, at 4 pm Pacific Time. If it actually ends up in a tie, I may adopt a balanced approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Qak, because it is similar to oak and I like trees.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Porgindris because it doesn't have any hits on google.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I vote for Qak. We, being the Glorious Nation of Visisik, must endeavor to extend our hand of friendship to all countries whose names end in the letter k.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Qak, because ducks are cool.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Okay, voting is closed and it's decided we'll be kind to our web-footed friends.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Foreign correspondents report that Wan is experiencing food shortages. As much as we do not wish to see the Waner people suffer, it is unfeasible for us to provide assistance at this time.

We have enough cargo to purchase from our three favored partners, although we must start consistently producing and selling enough goods to balance the cash flow.

We've retired our prospector and instead trained a new set of workers to build mines in the coal fields. Our engineers continue to guide rail construction; another depot was set up in Banköy province to bring in more food to the capital.

A new marvel of modern technology has appeared! The cotton gin promises to greatly increase the speed at which raw cotton can be processed. At the moment, we have not really developed our cotton farms, and don't see the need to invest in this technology.

Our agents in Mone have informed us of the relative strength of their steel mill sector.

This information is more usable as a monitor of what other countries are doing than a suggestion of what we should do. Early on, each expansion doubles capacity of the mills anyway, so it's not as though we are falling behind that far.

We enter the cotton market, as both Niridna and Qak are producing it in decent quantity.

We aren't processing much in the way of resources or materials, leaving the warehouse fairly empty. Although we have some pretty sizable stockpiles of coal and iron.

Mone has quickly begun to court Porgindris after we backed off from our trade deals with them. What is more worrying is that their relationship with Ash Mukkun is growing stronger.

Let's ignore that for the moment and examine the development of our infrastructure.

Here's our engineer planning out a depot. A depot gathers the resources of the tile it is placed in, and those of every adjacent tile, as long as it's part of our nation. Depots must be connected to the transport network to deliver their goods, meaning a rail line connecting their tile, or a port in the same tile. Properly connected depots will have the green flags showing; if not connected to the transportation network, they'll show red. Remember, this isn't about just producing materials for the nation, it's about developing Visisik City to be the greatest city in the world.

The resources produced by most tiles should be fairly clear. Forests produce wood. Farmland, orchards, and grazing land all produce different types of food. Ore deposits require a mine to produce anything. Open grassland (solid green tile) does produce 1 grain. The pre-fenced horse pasture here is a fairly rare tile, and produces horses usable by the military. Marshland, desert, and tundra are clearly useless land that will never be valuable, and in addition our rail lines can't go through marshland. Also, although they are never really drawn as such, tiles are laid out hexagonally (this is readily apparent from the rail lines).

That all adds up to the resources that will be available when this depot is finished (Laying track takes just one season; building depots requires 3). Two coal from the mine, one grain from each grassland tile, and then meat and horses. We'll need to keep expanding our transport capacity to freight it all in.

Just to prepare for good times ahead, we decide to expand the furniture factory.

As the strength of the capital increases, so does that of the whole nation. We are indeed a wise ruler!

This is a direct result of our expansion of the factory. It's something that is covered in the game manual, but it's kind of confusingly described and easily missed. Essentially if you have enough unused factory space, the provinces will start to process additional resources to fill the need.

Karanka has set up mills of their own! (sadly no animation for that windmill). In order for outlying towns to grow, there must be a depot either in the same tile or an adjacent one. Then, once the factory and rail capacity is available, the province will produce bonus processed materials.

This is the effect of that, shown on the transport ledger. Lumber is being produced in Karanka, in addition to the six wood already coming from its depot. (The other three wood we aren't shipping yet is from the second depot built.)

The sharp-eyed may have noticed something about the nation's balance in those last few pictures. It had gone negative! There is nothing wrong with this. We are the government, we can do whatever we like, even spend nonexistent money.

Okay, if we do that for too long then the country does go bankrupt. Note the 'credit limit', which was lower at the start of the game. We can borrow up to the credit limit without anyone even caring. In fact we can even exceed it, and as long as we pay it all off, the credit limit is raised, and that allows us to go deeper into debt the next time.

Evace is intent on sabotaging our relationship with Niridna. They are growing more troublesome.

The delivery of horses to the capital allows us to create cavalry units, and I order one to be built right away! It will look beautiful at our next parade.

We must stay ahead of Evace, and thus resolve to purchase all the coal and any other commodities available from Niridna. That will keep Evace from ever getting anything out of their ports.

Mone has constructed warships! Sure, it makes sense, them being on an island and all, but the pressure is on to put some of our own in the water.

The Spring of 1821 sees a major change in world politics: Pfessöttirg has chosen to unite forces with Wan, while at the same time Evace and Kova are now working together. That second one worries us more, as they could well be conspiring against us.

Our economy has really picked up, in part thanks to record high prices for consumer goods.

Steady supplies of cotton and wool from trade allow us to sell fine clothing as well as furniture.

Domestic cotton is finally being produced in quantity too.

We continue to buy up as much as possible from Niridna. Evace is nipping at our heels in these markets. It could be a good time to consider allying with Yakakkie.

Why are our diplomats always the last to know about these deals?

This presents a more delicate situation. Pfessöttirg is allied separately with Wan and Yakakkakie. Any conflict involving them could draw in the others, making it less wise for us to align with that group. The current state of the world is that there are several multi-nation pacts, with only us and Mone standing on our own. And we're not likely to pair up with them any time soon.

We had also hoped to have some new warships built this year, but it turned out that the weapons being saved for the navy ended up delivered to our new cavalry instead. I told them to just put the horses on the ship, but they say it cannot be done. We'll just have to wait.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Emergency Council Session

So I just mentioned how we might not want to get involved in the Yakakkie-Pfessöttirg-Wan situation, but there are other things to consider here.
  • These alliances are being made a bit early, in the sense that nobody is clearly doing better than anyone else, and the situation with potential colonies is really unclear. That means that the professor could be correct, and all these pacts might not actually hold up down the road.
  • Given the political situation, not being in an alliance might be precarious, as fighting wars against multiple enemies is never a good idea. Yakakkie is a good choice for us, in the first place because they are in prime position to smack down Evace, but secondarily because we are currently just ahead of them in the country rankings. We wouldn't end up being a weaker partner. Additionally, Yakakkie may be seeking to control Asfah or Ash Mukkun. We are no position now to prevent that, so it could be to our advantage to have them instead of Mone next door to us.
  • Making alliances raises world opinion of our diplomacy skills, and usually causes our countries to grow closer to each other. There is no economic benefit, but diplomacy is an important part of our score. We would not have wanted to make the offer first (as it would hurt our score if refused), and there is the risk that, if we're unwilling to commit to a war later, we'll lose diplomacy points. (Going to war reduces diplomacy score, dishonoring an alliance hurts it even more).
I'm undecided on the issue. Just as a reminder: Yakakkie is allied with Pfessöttirg, who is separately allied with Wan. Evace is allied with Kova. Mone has no alliances.

Should we ally with Yakakkie? Vote Yes/No

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Yes!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yes, make an alliance.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Ally them so we have someone to backstab later.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

How else can we plunge the globe into a useless and messy war other than making convoluted criss-crossing alliances?

Yes, ally with Yakakkie!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ally them! They, too, have the letter k in their name, so we shall treat them as friends, although since the letter is not at the end they cannot be our true brethren.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ally with them

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No alliance. Send rude and suggestive letters instead.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
NO to alliance, they tend to be more trouble than they are worth.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yes to Alliance. Yes to inevitable betrayal later.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yes to the alliance. Time for realpolitik. Sexy, sexy realpolitik.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Yes for alliance.

Are you going to be doing manual combat?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yes, when/if we end up fighting, I will command the battle directly. Not sure yet how I'll present it, as it kind of depends on the scale of the war.

And the council is favoring an Alliance with Yakakkie. Voting is now closed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

With battles the best thing is to probably just show the even/interesting ones and give any curbstomps a passing mention.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Well, I'm very curious to see what battles look like this game so I hope the OP will show them.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Used to love playing this as a kid, it was so much fun to build up your industry. Looking forward to seeing the great Visisk expand!

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Does the GOG version of Imperialism run properly on modern computers? (Win7) Because there was an issue with the standard version on XP where zooming out the map crashed the game and I've not played it since then.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm running it on Win 8.1. Every now and then it does crash, though it's usually when just starting or loading from a save. It's not that common for me,; the first time it happened during this LP was on startup yesterday. The only other issue is that on occasion I get a 'disk space low' warning and actually get to see the startup splash screen (normally it goes by way too fast); that doesn't seem to cause any problems, though.

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Does the GOG version of Imperialism run properly on modern computers? (Win7) Because there was an issue with the standard version on XP where zooming out the map crashed the game and I've not played it since then.

I've been playing the standard version on Windows 7 and I've not seen any crashes from zooming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
it does make sense that foreign powers are trying to get in good with free states near us. I mean, it's not like there are any near most of them.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Spring 1822
In 1822 we see a major advancement in construction. It will allow us to lay rails in many parts of our land that were hitherto unreachable.

Not only can we route rail lines through marshland, we'll also be able to deliver timber more effectively, if we develop the bridges.

As 1823 begins, Yakakkie recognizes the great power and wealth of our nation and begs to form an alliance with us. After consideration, we accept the offer.

It's also possible to monitor the markets we're selling in. Right now furniture is our chief export, but we're rapidly developing our cotton and textile industry.

The Imperial Navy is founded with our first Ship of the Line!

It will be sent off on a world tour to impress the other Great Powers.

This is the zoomed-out view, which can be accessed at any time, but is especially useful for directing naval vessels. [Unless the game crashes, I guess.]

World prices seem for resources seem a bit lower lately, but our goods are selling well.

As they sail past the coast of Evace, our captain takes time to gather information on their military.

Science brings us yet another innovation, this time in cargo ships. These new 'clippers' are faster and cheaper to build than the Indiaman, for the same cargo capacity.

This is one I've been really waiting for, as it's a bit 'late'. Technological advances have a roughly 5-year window in which they'll appear, but that varies every game.

We spot the Mone navy, and attempt to get a closer look. We're most likely stronger than both those ships put together.

Relations continue to improve with our nearby trade partners.

Money is coming in with regularity now.

After departing Mone, our mighty navy sails up toward Wan.

Wood is still Visisik's best product, and the province of Aypranan is now processing its own timber too.

Our new faster ships let us buy up whatever our trading partners can offer us.

In the Spring of 1825, the Council of Governors meets for the very first time!

The Council of Governors is how it's actually decided who the supreme ruler of the world should be. Every province gets one vote in the Council. Any nation that can gain the support of more than two-thirds of the governors is declared the winner of the election. Only two nations can be nominated, and at this point in time, most of the governors in the minor nations will abstain.

This is how we win the game.

It what is nearly a surprise result, almost all of the other Great Powers fail to recognize the superiority of Visisik. Happily our neighbor Niridna does support us.

Since the nominations are based on the rankings, let's delve into those in more detail.

Overall, there is the 'council projection', which is an estimate of who is likely to be nominated. Clearly Visisik is actually better than shown here, because we were the ones actually nominated. This ranking is a combination of three factors: Internal Strength, Diplomatic Strength, and Military Strength.

Internal Strength is the measure of a country's industrial development and infrastructure.

Diplomacy is mostly based on relations with and actions toward other countries, including Minor Nations. It doesn't tend to change much outside of significant political shifts, alliances, or war.

Military Strength, the last contributing factor to the council vote, is a combination of men under arms and naval power. The most interesting part of this score is that the governors generally don't care all that much about the quality of an army, or even military success. It's mostly based on the size of the nation's military, which, it seems, we could probably stand to improve.

There are also several other rankings that don't contribute directly to the council nomination score.

The cargo capacity of our Merchant Marine is second to none.

The sum total of our World Exports is recorded here. It seems some countries don't mind purchasing the low-quality furniture of Mone, giving them the edge.

Industry is a contributor to our Internal Strength score, but that also includes other factors. This ranking seems to be based more on actual output.

Factories are nothing without people to work in them; our labor pool exceeds that of Kova.

The size of our internal transport network can be compared to the other powers too. This isn't just for an economic comparison, as it is also a measure of the ability to transport military units.

There is additionally a ranking listed on the information map. These values are relative to the other countries, and so give a measure of who's in the lead.

Unlike the charts, the industry value here seems to measure industrial capacity rather than output.

Here's Mone's situation. They're growing quite close to Ash Mukkun, and Porgindris has already thrown its vote behind them. Their sights are also set on Asfah too.

This is why we hope to grow closer to Yakakkie. They are strongly courting Kangjung, but might be competing with Mone for Asfah as well.

It seems it will not be long before the scramble for colonies begins. Once the strongest partners are solidified, the more neglected countries will then become the new targets close friends of the Great Powers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kangra posted:

We spot the Mone navy, and attempt to get a closer look. We're most likely stronger than both those ships put together.
That is some seriously brilliant observational skills.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Visisik Navy only selects the finest to crew its ships!

e: Come to think of it, we don't have a name for our people yet. I suppose Visisikish is the obvious choice, but I'm not sure I like it. Suggestions welcome.

That's one of the nice little details I like - imperfect scouting reports mean you can't just inspect your opponent's provinces to see what they might have in reserve, or how powerful their navy is.

Glazius posted:

it does make sense that foreign powers are trying to get in good with free states near us. I mean, it's not like there are any near most of them.

This is a map where several countries just don't have many neighboring provinces. I wanted to have at least one island nation and two bordering nations to give us more starting options, so I suppose this is the result.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 1, 2015

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kangra posted:

e: Come to think of it, we don't have a name for our people yet. I suppose Visisikish is the obvious choice, but I'm not sure I like it. Suggestions welcome.

Visisiki or Visisikese...I think I'd prefer the former, though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How about Vis? Maybe in our language "-isik" is a suffix that means "land of", like "-stan".

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Visagoons

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Veloxyll posted:

Visagoons

Clearly the best name.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd never really thought about the idea of Visi- being a distinct part of it, but as soon as I see it, it makes sense. 'Sik' could then mean 'country', making us have the original name of 'Western Country' (by letting Visi actually mean 'west', or go with the meaning 'noble', letting us be the Noble Country).

I think 'Visi' or 'the Vis' should be the short name, used sometimes by our enemies but also on our own side as a nickname.

'Visisiki' is a better adjective form than 'Visisikish'; let's go with that.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Visisikhs.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Visisigoths?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Vississites? Vississies?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Visisidudes.