Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Car

2. How many vehicles do you have?
2, but selling 1 since it's old, breaks down a lot, and we don't need it

3. For current vehicle owners - did you buy new, buy used, or do you lease?
Buy New

4. What brand vehicle do you drive?
Honda Fit

5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
$21,000 3 years

6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
$1,800 Fuel, $3,600 car payment, $1,400 insurance, $200 registration

7. How much do you spend annually on maintenance for your vehicle?
$300ish. Mostly just oil changes at this point

8. How far is your commute to work?
10 miles

9. If you do not use public transportation - explain why you do not
Not available or convenient

10. If you use public transportation - explain why you do not use a vehicle

11. What country do you live in?
Murica

12. What is your gross annual income?
>$100,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
When I was car shopping for a 1-2 year old Honda the price difference for something with low mileage wasn't worth the "unknown" of not knowing how the previous owner drove it. It was literally only $3000-$4000 more to buy new. Personally absolutely hate and dread dealing with car maintenance, and I can afford not to.

Unless you actually enjoy working on cars I think people absolutely undervalue the time / energy / stress spent on car troubles.

From personal experience I had no troubles talking about my income to friends/family before it broke $100k. It feels like six figures + age makes people think you should just pay for everything and expect hand outs. I'm pretty generous with my family and friends because I've been very fortunate in life, but people can go from grateful/appreciative to needy/demanding in the blink of an eye when they realize how much you make.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 20, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I should also mention that I drove a hand-me-down 1991 Mazda 626 throughout all of high school, college, and starting my first job. It broke down all the time (dying at stop lights, breaking down on country roads, flaky AC, etc.) even after multiple repairs and was an absolute nightmare and I sort of promised myself that if I could reasonably afford it I wouldn't put myself through that again.

Extreme BFCers sometimes like to pretend that it's super easy to just go pick up a reliable beater car and drive it until it dies. Either those people are stupid lucky, already mechanics, friends with a mechanic, or know a local mechanic that is willing to cut them a deal and help them out.

The whole "make friends with a mechanic and they'll fix all your cars for a case of beer!" is pretty over zealous. I know a few mechanics (my Dad being one of them) and they were never super excited to work on my 626 for the 50th time.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Zool posted:

Bugamole you have to adjust your expectations, it the AC stops working, you don't fix it, you start wearing tank tops.

I didn't really care about the AC. Having to push your car through a stoplight and wait for a tow / jump was pretty annoying though.

• Locked thread