Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice
1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Car

2. How many vehicles do you have?

3. For current vehicle owners - did you buy new, buy used, or do you lease?
Bought used in 2012.

4. What brand vehicle do you drive?
2005 Toyota Prius

5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
Purchased for $9,000 in 2012. Financed for 5 years @ 6.84% with a $2,000 down payment. (This is before I started learning about personal finance...). The car is now paid off and owned outright.

6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
In 2014 I spent about $5800 total. 2015 will be significantly less since I no longer have a car payment, my insurance is way cheaper, and my commute no longer has tolls. (estimate: $2500?)

7. How much do you spend annually on maintenance for your vehicle?
2014 was pretty typical, and I spent about $850 total.

8. How far is your commute to work?
17 miles each way. Depending on traffic it can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes one way. I work 10-6, so usually I avoid rush hour and can do it in ~35 minutes.

9. If you do not use public transportation - explain why you do not
The public transportation where I live is excellent, but I live in a small city on the outskirts of the metro-area (in other words, not near the hub), and I work in a suburb.

I once priced out and explored the possibility of taking public transportation, because it's technically possible to do so. It could save me a few thousand dollars a year, but my schedule would become extremely inflexible, because there's only one combination of connections in the morning and evening that would get me from work to home and back again. So I couldn't stay late at work, ever. Nor would there be any wiggle room in the morning getting in. Also, it would more than double my commute and involve 3 different buses.

The discomfort of the long commute and transfers I'd be able to put up with if it saved me a lot of money, but I don't think it would be wise (for my career) to have rigid requirements for when I have to leave work every single day.

I'd be pretty isolated without a car, living as far as I do from my friends in the area. Taking the train to see them would involve several hours, and the regional train has limited service on weekends. Now it's like 20-30 minutes driving.

Finally, I have a dog, and it's easier and cheaper to travel with him in a car, and it's good to know I can quickly and easily transport him in a pinch.

It's also much cheaper to drive to visit my family about 300 miles away (which is a trip I take several times a year) as opposed to flying, taking the train, or taking the bus.

After the analysis, I classified having a car as a need, at least for now.

10. If you use public transportation - explain why you do not use a vehicle
N/A

11. What country do you live in?
US

12. What is your gross annual income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread