Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was released in 2010 for the Nintendo Wii. It was the first Kirby plaformer released on a home console since Kirby 64 in the year 2000. The game was developed by Good-Feel, who previously made Wario Land: Shake It!, also for the Wii.

The plot of Kirby's Epic Yarn starts off with none other than the pink puffball himself. He's out for a stroll one day when he happens upon a juicy-looking tomato. Being an ever-hungry omnivore, Kirby swallows the tomato in a single gulp! However, it quickly turns out that this was no ordinary tomato. In fact, the tomato was a special Metamato owned by none other than the evil sorcerer Yin-Yarn! Yin-Yarn, angered by Kirby eating his magical tomato, uses his magical sock to banish Kirby to another realm.

Yin-Yarn's wizardry ends up sending Kirby to Patch Land, a world made entirely out of fabric. So much so, in fact, that Kirby even got turned into Yarn version of himself! Because of this, Kirby finds that he can no longer use his trademark sucking and floating maneuvers. However, thanks to the power of the Metamato Kirby now has the new-found ability to transform himself into all kinds of objects. Whoa! Kirby immediately puts this ability to good use when he comes across a fellow yarn person in need of help. Kirby saves him and they speed off together!

The yarn boy turns out to be Prince Fluff, the leader(?) of Patch Land! Prince Fluff reveals to Kirby that Yin-Yarn is responsible for tearing Patch Land apart at the seams and letting hordes of monsters loose into the once peaceful world. Prince Fluff is in a hurry to find the seven pieces of Magic Yarn that stitch Patch Land back together. Of course, Kirby is more than willing to help his new buddy out. Together, they go on an adventure to save Patch Land from the clutches of the evil Yin-Yarn!

Kirby's Epic Yarn is quite a departure from the Kirby platformer norm. Kirby can't suck up enemies, can't swallow them to gain powers and also can't float to his heart's content. Instead, Kirby can only jump normally and gets a yarn whip to attack enemies and grab objects. On top of that, the power of the Metamato gives Kirby access to all kinds of neat transformations. He can turn into a car to go fast, he can turn into a parachute to float down safely and he can turn into a weight to crush blocks and enemies. Believe it or not, that's not even all of them!

Being that this is a game made with a young/casual audience in mind, Kirby cannot die in Kirby's Epic Yarn. When he gets hit by an enemy or falls down a pit, he loses some of the beads he has collected in the level so far. When he gets down to zero beads, nothing happens when Kirby gets hurt except for a little bit of knockback. There's no pressure when playing Kirby's Epic Yarn; just good times. :3:

Related LPs by us:

Wario Land: Shake It! (made by the same developer)

The Videos:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 13, 2015

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update! :siren:

Voting Time:

After every video, I'm going to let the thread decide on one piece of furniture to add to Kirby's apartment. I made an executive decision to add the King's Throne to the room, so here are the pieces of furniture still up for selection:

The piece of furniture that gets the most votes will be added to the apartment in the next video. Be sure to put your votes in bold. Voting closes at 12AM GMT on Monday Night.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 22, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I have somewhat soured on this game a little, but not because of the game's fault at all. I just have a three year old niece who is obsessed with this game and wants to play every time she comes over.

It's adorable, but it's also super frustrating to get most of the way through a level, only for her to access the menu and quit it. On purpose.

But that aside, this game owns bones and is super cute and I'm glad you're doing it. Not even gonna give you a hard time this LP. This game is way too chill to do that.

PS gotta go for that sweet outdoor bath.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm excited to experience one of the cutest games ever!

On the narrators, the American Narrator is supposedly David Frederick White, who voiced General Pepper in Star Fox 64. The british english actor is the late Paul Vaughn who has voiced some nature documentaries on the BBC and some other things. Both of them are really amazing and add a storybook like presentation to the games plot, which really brought back some of the feelins I had as a kid playing the first Paper Mario and reading stories in school.

As much as I like the Frog Umbrella Stand, I'm also voting for the logical (Indoor) Outdoor Bath.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
I really like this game a lot, especially the actual art and soundtrack.

I'll vote for the outdoor bath as well.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Kirby gets really dirty while being a car, so he needs a Bath.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Wow this game is really... EPIC!!!

Yeah this game is really cool and owns and I'm glad this LP is happening because you guys' commentary is full of joy just like Kirby.
I think Kirby should have a Fountain in his house because he deserves only the best.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
It sounds so strange to hear the British narrator after the American one. The latter really sounded like your dad reading you a story. This guy sounds more professional.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
Our illustrious narrator is Paul Vaughan, who UK viewers might know as the narrator for BBC's Horizon, the spokesman for Colgate toothpaste, Orange phones, and Tesco's "every little bit helps" campaign! He also did Kaleidoscope on Radio 4.

The American narrator is David White. Also known as Pigma Dengar, General Pepper, and Rob 64. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I want that bath.
You should definitely play this, Ikwalyx, and if you get the chance try the co-op because it's really fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

pichupal posted:

The british english actor is the late Paul Vaughn who has voiced some nature documentaries on the BBC and some other things.

This is what I mainly know him for so its really weird to hear him narrating a video game. I keep expecting him to start talking about the biology of waddledees or something.

Going against the grain and pushing for frog :frog:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In case anyone wants to hear it, here's the American version of the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmX40epM2k

They're both really good. :3:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

In case anyone wants to hear it, here's the American version of the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmX40epM2k

They're both really good. :3:

We say Metamahto, you say Metamayto.

Why hasn't anyone voted for the classy chandelier yet?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've got a Good-Feel-ing about this LP, you guys. Now to watch the video and make sure you didn't already use that one.

Daimion
Jan 17, 2015
I've been really interested interested in this game for a while now, so I'm really happy some let's players I like are showing the game off! Honestly, I'm not super into the gameplay so far, but the game is so cute that I'm loving the game so far anyways.

Also, I vote for the outdoor bath, because being made of yarn is no excuse to not have any personal hygiene.

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

I had a ton of fun playing this, so Im happy to it being lp'd by you guys :)

Also, Kirby needs to rest after hard a day being made of yarn, so he definitely needs a seat on the Flower Sofa

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel that I should note that Prince Fluff was originally the main character hence why Kirby doesn't have his normal Copy ability and instead uses the same abilities Fluff does in co-op. The game was made into a Kirby game when there was concern over how well it would sell on its own merits and it was decided that it would sell better with Kirby on it. This is also why Fluff is travelling with you, even in single player (he dances with you when you finish a stage) and why the story is centered largely around Fluff at this point.

I'm going to say frog as well.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I'd always put the rainbow in my little apartment whenever I'd play. Also two of the thrones since I was always playing co-op with one of my sisters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm against the bath because if we have both a bath and a throne it'll mean our apartment is a glorified toilet room. Or at least it'll make it more obviously so.

So frog.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Looks like a really fun LP. Very relaxing and laid back, which is refreshing. I'll throw in with fountain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This game is adorable and we need that classy chandelier.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This game is weapons-grade adorable, and a fantastic co-op game. And the controls are some of the most smooth controls I've ever come across in a platformer, such amazing flow.

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

I voted before watching the video, so changing my vote to the chandelier, so Kirby can have a good reading light while hes relaxing on his throne.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
This game was one of my favourites on the Wii and I look forward to experiencing it again. Everything about the aesthetic and design of the levels is just so cute and well done.

Voting for the sweet outdoor bath

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
In case anyone has not seen Medibot's LP of this game, make a bookmark of it to check out later. He takes it on two-player, and he and his cohort have a lot of fun right until the end credits. (Sadly, they then keep playing, doing all of the challenge games in a single go, and by the end you can hear that they just want the game to be over. But up until the credits it's great.)

I'm really digging this take on the LP so far, though! Playing single-player means that the LP can take a more relaxed, methodical approach to showing off the game, but having a co-commentator still gives that 'gaming with friends' feel. It's just that the friend in question is watching rather than playing. And I approve of avoiding the unnecessary abuse of Waddle Dees. :v:

I'm going to vote for the Flower Sofa. Kirby has a place to sit, but what about guests? He's too nice to make them sit on the floor while he thrones it up.

Also, what's the difference between the cut and uncut videos? Or is there not one for this first one? They're the same length, by the looks of it.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

Also, what's the difference between the cut and uncut videos? Or is there not one for this first one? They're the same length, by the looks of it.

Cut videos don't have commentary over the cutscenes. So in the case of this video, the parts with the narrator don't have Jordan or Ikwaylx talking over him.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Every time I see or play this game I just have a smile on my face the entire time. It's so adorable.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

FredMSloniker posted:

In case anyone has not seen Medibot's LP of this game, make a bookmark of it to check out later. He takes it on two-player, and he and his cohort have a lot of fun right until the end credits. (Sadly, they then keep playing, doing all of the challenge games in a single go, and by the end you can hear that they just want the game to be over. But up until the credits it's great.)

I'd recommend watching the entirety of that LP eventually since there is some great stuff in the challenge videos (like when they discover what the "D" in Waddle Dee stands for), but the core videos are definitely required viewing. One of my favorite LPs, and even still, the game is wonderful enough that I'm thrilled to see a fresh new LP of it!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Some of the transformations are a different in co-op mode. For example, the first one gets springy arms that can go in circles and wreck everything in your path.

For furniture, I'm voting for the indoor outdoor bath.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Fiendly posted:

I'd recommend watching the entirety of that LP eventually since there is some great stuff in the challenge videos (like when they discover what the "D" in Waddle Dee stands for), but the core videos are definitely required viewing. One of my favorite LPs, and even still, the game is wonderful enough that I'm thrilled to see a fresh new LP of it!
Agreed, it's one of my favourites too. But definitely, a fresh take on it will still be great - especially since this is one of those games where co-op allows you to cheese a large number of puzzles through always having something to throw, or someone's head to jump off of to give you a boost. A single-player run getting all the treasures adds another dimension. It's also a fitting follow-up LP to Wario Land: Shake It!, as it's as much a successor to that as it is a Kirby game.

e: I'll vote for the flower sofa. More places to sit are always good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update! :siren:

Voting Time!

This time around, we have the full eight pieces of furniture available for voting! Once again, make sure to put your votes in bold and keep in mind that voting closes at 12AM GMT on Monday. Make sure to get your votes in on time because I won't be able to count in late entries this time around!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe that you didn't call them Haduckens. Otherwise, good episode.
Another touch that I think is really nice in the boss fight is how ragged the dragon looks as you hit him. It's a nice indicator and still plays into the aesthetic of the game.
Also, I think all of the music is original at this point, so Mole Hole is an original Epic Yarn track.

A normal bed sounds wicked lame, so I think Kirby should rest on a Tree Stump Bed.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Man that tree stump bed looks like a hecka good place to nap.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Tree Stump Bed

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I wish I had a Tree Stump Bed.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Kirby is hungry and wants a Log Cake

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

A telescope, of course.

stoyk

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Telescope! The stitched stars must be admired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll put in for the Lettice for the pun factor.

• Locked thread