Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Morroque posted:

The one thing I'm noticing about Prester's models are that the outcomes they pose are not further normative. All the opposition to authoritarianism can do, given the other variables involved, is prevent regression. If the republican party eventually turns into the authoritarian party, the compaction cycle which does that will likely scare the more moderate (and monied) forces into the democratic party, turning them into the de-facto capitalist party. The republican refugees would probably overwhelm the progressive elements in the party by grouping around the elite centre.

I mean, even if the authoritarians are not fighting any battle to actually win, isn't one of the outcomes of their fighting is a prevention of progressive policy? I mean, what would be the moderate reaction to them? Would the Americans of a more leftist bent have to give up on their own dreams for a better nation, just to help defend the status quo against the tea party? What exactly does one do in this scenario?

As has been noted, Authoritarians can't survive all by themselves; they are a minority in society in any case, and gravitate toward the largest structures for expression in the Authoritarian mode. I would argue that moderate Republicans fleeing to the Democrats has been a constant feature of the compaction cycles throughout the lifespan of the Southern Strategy, and the Democratic party has already turned into the de-facto capitalist party, overwhelming the progressive elements. The Third-Way DLC-ism of the modern Democratic party is exactly that - "abandon your leftist dreams and vote for us, we're the lesser of two evils".

Eventually, though, people get very tired of the (in this case, right-wing) authoritarians driving everything through the combination of their own policies and the Overton Window shift that their presence causes in everyone else's behavior and rhetoric. Even with the Republicans in as advantageous of a position as they are in right now, their hold is pretty fragile. If the Republicans cater to the Authoritarians, who are the minority, too excessively, a backlash from even 10% of their non-Authoritarian supporters will sink them. Compaction cycles have left the GOP nearly at the breaking point because appealing to Authoritarians, who have been catered to long enough that they are truly deep down the well, is now on the verge of being mutually exclusive with appealing to non-Authoritarians. Losing that 10% from either column screws the party. This tightrope balancing act is why John Boehner is an orange alcoholic on a good day. It's also why social progress ever actually happens; once those two lines of appeal are truly mutually exclusive and one must be tossed aside, it's much more advantageous to try to toss out the Authoritarians rather than the non-Authoritarians due to the numbers. They won't all leave, and before long a new outer narrative - still opposed to, but also resigned to the existence of, those elements of societal change that were once 100% anathema - will allow them to reenter the discourse and begin pulling for regression once again, but in the meantime the shift has happened.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Morroque posted:

Perhaps this is too much of a tangential topic, but... What are the primary motivators towards homeschooling? On one hand, it seems like something of a old bourgeois comfort, but be financially independent enough to have one parent free to teach the children. On the other hand, I can think of a multitude of reasons why some might consider the state or private schooling to be a dreadful system and how one might do better. (To differing standards of "better," but still...)

What exactly is the crux of why homeschooling became so important? I can't help but figure there has to be some historical reasoning to it. (Historical in the sense of the time in which it was first planned up and adopted wholesale. It should've been seen as the solution to some problem, real or imagined.)

School is a large source of interaction with people and ideas that aren't like you. If you want to run a fringe religious sect or outright cult it helps to eliminate as much of that as possible.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Morroque posted:

What is the rapture... for, exactly? What exact purpose does it serve?

We know that Grand Narratives serve a primarily psychological need, and that the current form of Grand Narrative in the racist, paranoid, religious, and economic clusters all follow a similar arc that can be explained as a "rapture of some kind." The Rapture of the religious cluster is the prototype of this, and it is famous for not actually being anywhere in the Bible or explicitly part of any Christian teachings. And yet, the need for the rapture to be there is so great that it is already commonly believed from square one, and must be fashioned from various out-of-context quotes in various different passages of different biblical books in order to justify itself. The other clusters all sucked similar storylines from their thumbs in order to service a similar need, and the need for it is so great that it is not moored to any explicit political program. It's only a matter of what structures exist that can service authoritarian needs, and our narrativists will coalesce towards those structures. (If it is left wing or right wing is either just a matter of outer narrative, or an ad-hoc description given after the fact.)

But I've looked over the rapture structure so many times, and I just can't imagine what anyone sees in it. The more I think over PJ's theories, the more I keep brushing up against this question. It has to be this specific rapture because one of its sources is another apocalypse story, the Book of Revelation, and yet somehow that apocalypse story wasn't good enough. (Or is too complicated, or too antiquated for modern understanding.) It didn't service the need, so a new one was created. But what was that need?

The best I can come up with is that the rapture as a storyline was a common fantasy developed during the Cold War due to the threat of nuclear war. The idea that you, a good person who can't influence the delicate situation of the world powers, could be magicked away to a place removed from it all while the nuclear war happened, and you could return to the world after all the world powers had killed themselves and you could try to resume living your life. The problem with this theory is that it assumes the Rapture to only date back to 01950 or so, yet it existed before that as far as 01830. Maybe it is the reason why an obscure theory would go to being a popular one, but it still cannot account for everything.

I suppose I could say a similar thing regarding the economic cluster: the idea of the capitalist marketplace is a large, nonlinear, oppressive, and often nonsensical system which people are forced to live under. (Ergo, it must be a good system, because there is no possible alternative.) Perhaps Ayn Rand's book gives people a sense of being able to understand and control it, if only fleetingly. Same could be said for the paranoid cluster, even if they are simply doing it to themselves.

But where this idea of "promoting a sense of control over an uncontrollable situation" falls apart is in application to the racist cluster. Given institutional racism, they are already in control over their respective situation, and yet the need for a rapture story persists anyway.

A "rapture of some kind" is just a separation of the followers of the Inner Narrative from the rest in the end of days, which is the only time the fabric of society/the universe/whatever is thin enough to permit them to form their own society. It is a validation of the narrative, the narrative made real. It simultaneously assures them of their own importance and that living in a society made up only of their fellow Narrativists would be the best thing in the world. This can be seen in the way society at large falls apart after the disappearance of the elect - Left Behind is an obvious one, but Galt's Gulch is an economic cluster analogue, the post-disaster RaHoWa where all right-thinkers have bunkers of ammo and food where they can wait out the hordes of post-apocalyptic poors is an analogue for the racist cluster and some parts of the paranoid cluster, and I'm sure there's a million of them for the rest of the paranoid cluster; the way that society with only the elect living in it is a utopia (literally heaven, but also Galt's Gulch, etc.); and the way that the in-group will be able to safely observe (or, in the racist cluster, participate in) the rightful downfall of the out-group. The apocalyptic nature of the rapture has to do with the robustness of modern society against changing to what the narrativists would like it to be - in the absence of barriers, non-apocalyptic "raptures" exist historically, like the Puritan idea of what moving to America was going to be like, or the ideal of life in a hippie or early Christian commune.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 3, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

A Concept itself can be almost anything, basically any idea the brain can imagine that can also be manipulated in some way with Points of Interaction. (So if you can think about it, and think about ways to change it, then its a Concept.)This could by anything from designing a Tennis Court in your head to your controversial opinions on the best portrayal of Batman to a really good recipe for whiskey. Concept here represents an amalgamation of inter-related data that can be collectively manipulated in some way by your brain. Every brain forms Concepts with Points of Interaction, what separates an Artisan from a non Artisan is the average number of Points of Interaction that exist in an average Concept. If for the sake of discussion a non Artisan typically had three Points of Interaction in a typical Concept, then an Artisan would have eight Points of Interaction per Concept. The primary difference here is that the Artisan tends to be able to manipulate Concepts in a much more sophisticated manner than a non-Artisan.

Let me emphasize here that I am talking about the difference between the average Concept, not every single Concept. Let us compare for example two hypothetical electrical engineers, John and Bill. These two fine gentlemen are perfectly identical in every way except one, John is an Artisan, and Bill is not. Let us say in our hypothetical that both men are very capable electrical engineers, and both possess a great deal of Concepts that represent their knowledge and their ability to conceptually manipulate their knowledge of all things electrical engineering. Let us say for our hypothetical construct here that because of their sophisticated understanding of electrical engineering, all their Concepts related to electrical engineering have fifteen Points of Interaction. Both men then possess a sophisticated understanding of the subject and are equally capable of interacting with that knowledge in a variety of complex ways.

The difference between John and Bill really starts when they go home. Despite possessing an average of fifteen Points of Interaction per concept related to electrical engineering, Bill possess only about 3 Points of Interaction per Concept for all non electrical engineering related Concepts. John on the other hand, being an Artisan, possess about eight Points of Interaction per Concept. It is this difference that separates the Artisan from the non-Artisan. Allow me to first explain how this difference came about to be within the context of today (although it isn;t hard to construct other ways this can come about to be) and then let me elaborate on how this difference will manifest in behavior. Then in part 2 I will conclude by using John and Bill to illustrate how the Narrativist and Artisan patterns interact before applying that idea to our present political situation.

First off lets talk about why John has so many more Points of Interaction on average than Bill does. The answer is that John was exposed to the Artisan pattern during his youth much more than Bill was. Rather than talking about what Bill did not have though let us talk though about what specifically John had. In the context of American society, John was exposed extensively to a wide variety of expressive media in his youth and also had the opportunity to experiment with self expression via expressive media. John was exposed to a level of stimulation that has never existed in human history before, with constant music, art, performance spectacles, and storytelling being a regular part of his daily experience. Of particular note is that John was exposed to advertising that targeted him specifically while he was young. This advertising involved a wide variety of virtually identical products that tried to distinguish themselves by creating novel Points of Interaction within the overall Concept the product represented.

As somebody with a lot of psych/neuroscience/education background, I think you've arrived at something real here, in a lot of ways. Your concepts align very well with modern theories of learning. For example, when you talk about "Concepts" and "Narratives", the established term for what you're talking about is schemata. These are essentially "mini-narratives", with some larger narratives overarching them and connecting different schemata together into larger schemata. Everybody has these - they are how you fit facts into your knowledge base. A fact without a schema to fit into is far more readily forgotten than one that has had its place prepared by previous learning - this is why an expert can often listen to a highly technical discussion on the subject of their expertise and near-instantaneously work out the ramifications of any new facts or concepts that are introduced, while a novice is quickly lost even if the actual facts or concepts aren't terribly complicated in isolation. The experts know what is important about an idea and how to fit it into what they already know - and how to alter their schema to accommodate the new fact. Their schemata are highly developed - they have many points of interaction with other schemata, and may in fact be simply smaller parts of one large schema concerning a broad knowledge base. For example, John and Bill both have equally developed schemata concerning electrical engineering. Narrativists have one very large schema that literally everything fits into. Most people do not - they have separate schemata for different concepts, which are linked and nested, yes, but ultimately separate, not part of one big schema. Thus for a Narrativist everything is the work of God, or demons, or aliens, or the government, etc. This severely hampers their ability to accommodate - instead they assimilate, because it is much, much less effort to fit something into such a large schema without changing the overall schema than to alter the whole thing to accommodate the new information. Such a large schema requires a hugely surprising event to disrupt, like all of your Narrativist buddies compacting you out of the group. A sufficiently large shock shatters the whole thing and breaks the Narrativism.

Bill does not necessarily have fewer points of interaction than John, though that might also be going on. What is very different between them is how the points of interaction are organized - Bill actually has fewer "Concepts", or schemata, than John. Things are simpler for him. All beers are beers, who gives a poo poo if it's Budweiser or a limited-run IPA made from hops mashed by a specific old German lady with her feet which gives the beer unique texture? John, on the other hand, has separate (but connected through the overarching schema of beer) schemata for these two things, which are then connected to other schemata like Germany and old ladies. As such, all points of interaction run through fewer but bigger nodes for Bill, and because they are bigger, without subdivisions, these nodes are much more resistant to change than John's. Just a bit of speculation here, but I think your Bypasses are very strong component schemata of the overall Narrativist schema, which facts are very easily assimilated into. The specific forms - such as "Maximum Force" - are probably not historically invariant, with bypasses fading in and out of vogue as the overall context of the narratives changes.

I think it's important to note that you aren't just reinventing the wheel here though. Narrativists are, as far as I know, not a studied thing in learning theory circles, though they should be, and you are applying these ideas into a sociological context in what is, again as far as I know, a novel way.

Prester Jane posted:

Part of my illness is an extremely enhanced pattern recognition. This pattern recognition stems from a part of my conscious experience that process data in a fundamentally different way, I call this part of my consciousness [Pattern], and it processes and arranges data in a way that is very different from how a healthy mind processes and arranges data. [Pattern] percieves connections and repetitions in things, and it also smashes these perceptions down into more manageable abbreviations. By and large, all that [Pattern] does is process data in an extremely abbreviated fashion, sniffing specifically for commonalities between disparate data sets and then creating abbreviated methods to reference them. In most Schizophrenics this manifests as the Schizophrenic thinking and trying to communicate using these abbreviated references that [Pattern] has created in their mind. Generally they are unaware of doing so and simply assume eveyrone else thinks in the same terms as well, so when they write something and use one of these abbreviated terms they subconciously turn it into a Proper Noun to distinguish the abbreviated [Pattern] produced concept they are referencing from the literal meaning of the words. As the schizophrenic is completely unaware of this, they feel they are communicating very specific ideas quite clearly, and they can read their own writing back to themselves and understand its intended meaning just fine. I am certainly not immune to this.

Nobody's immune to this, fwiw. Certainly you have more active pattern recognition between less related things going on than most folks but this is especially common in academia - it's part of how jargon builds up in a field. Consistently Proper Nouning the words, though, seems to be a distinctive feature of schizophrenia. One thing you might do is use quotes around words like "narrativist" and "artisan" when you first introduce them, then drop the quotes thereafter - this is a more accepted convention that is fundamentally the same thing as the Proper Nouning.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 29, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pictured: Twinks for Trump

Checks out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No apostrophe in Nazis.
"Decoding the Little Lie: How the GOP establishment turned their base into Nazis"

in general you don't put an apostrophe unless you're showing possession, pj. nouns that are operating alone never have one regardless of word origin or how odd it can look to put an s on the end of the word

anyway with that bit of pedantry out of the way, i'm looking forward to the new thread!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

singing is the original language of humans and affects us on a far more primal level than speech, which was a later development

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the anabaptists are the ancestors of the amish btw

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm not really sure that this is true. One of the major differences between a brain and a computer is that in a computer it is possible to modify software without modifying hardware, where in a brain, this is not necessarily true. We don't really know for sure the underlying basis of things like memory, but we do know that the reorganization of neural circuits is the basis for learning new tasks. That is, while you can run a computer program on any computer, and any computer of proper function can run a program, the "programs" that our brain run are the result of the physical organization of the hardware, and can't be modified without changing the organization of neural connections. You can't separate the hardware from the software in a brain.

you can! (in some ways)

synaptic reorganization is not the only determiner of activity. individual neurons vary their sensitivity to various signals in many ways through activity within the cell and on its surface, and these variations can transform the signal pattern sent to other neurons as well as when particular patterns are sent. neural networks in CS oversimplify individual cells a lot of the time. these changes essentially allow for different programs to run on the same physical circuit.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

I wanted to elaborate on this as a large part of what I am trying to communicate here is the idea that each of us is running our own homegrown version of HumanOS- and that differences in HumanOS result in a different experience of reality for each of us. It would likely be impossible to transfer a "given bit of idea-software" (as Liquid Communism so aptly described it) from one brain to another as each of us has our own personal library of data that our personal idea-software was designed to access and utilize; however as a result of the base similarities in the hardware we are all using (the human brain) the there are common underlying principles in the architecture of how these idea-programs are constructed. These commonalities are the underlying mechanism that allows Self Replicating Behavior Patterns to transfer between individuals (self replicate). In this context a SRBP can be thought of as a "style" of writing/creating idea-software, and this style of programming is acquired through a combination of inherent biology (nature) and social environment (nurture).

Language is quite literally a mechanism for sharing 'idea-software', though it's a lossy transfer method. People learn through observation, but much more commonly through dialogue (conversation, tutoring) or monologue (lectures, books), which are transfers of ideas (and thus brain structure).

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 21, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I'd be careful about this line of inquiry guys. Philosophy of language can be a minefield. There's still a lot of debate on the best ways to conceptualize language. Like whether to think of language as a thing that encapsulates meaning as a property, or if meaning is an act performed by language.

Exactly how the human brain uses language is tricky to determine. Some sort of artificial neural network is the closest form of machine learning algorithm to how a human brain functions, and neural networks have the frustrating property of being very obtuse. You can't easily look into one and figure out the logic of how it performs a task; the actual steps it takes are largely arbitrary, they just tend to lead towards a correct result if they've been trained well. In addition, any non-trivial problem given to a non-trivial network is going to have a large number of network configurations with very different internal structures that still answer the problem about equally well. That makes it not so far fetched that language isn't really transmitting ideas at all, it's just providing stimuli to the creation of new ideas, or the modification of old ones.

What I'm saying is language is hard and you probably shouldn't get too invested in the details until we have better technology for mapping the human brain.

i am not an amateur in neuroscience or psychology, particularly of learning, and i'm not speculating; i am translating well-known academic frameworks for understanding learning into PJ's jargon. specifically, vygotsky's theory of social learning as well as various aspects of cellular neurobiology. there are more sources of information about how the brain works than machine learning experiments!

transmission of ideas is of course also a process of creating new ideas in the learner...usually ideas which reflect the ideas of the teacher, but not always. the brain structure created in the learner by the transmission is not literally physically identical to that of the teacher, as it must fit into the learner's different network and cannot possibly have the same links to all of the same other ideas that it does in the teacher, but it is still a transmission of "software", i.e. processes for understanding a particular object, phenomenon, etc.

Prester Jane posted:

In this particular context I would argue that language is more of a tool for sharing the data libraries that idea-software is constructed on, and learning is in large part the process of our brain developing its own suite of software in order to perform specific tasks. In this context learning would be less transferring idea-software between each brain so much as transferring data-libraries and then creating personal code to interact with those data libraries in ways that generate consistent and specific feedback. To return to the earlier example of 10 year old soccer players their coach is not transferring an idea-program about how to play soccer, he is transferring a library of general knowledge about soccer as well as a library of best-practices for creating idea-software that is very useful for playing soccer.

Our coach can for example lecture his students on the proper way to kick a field goal all day long, but until his students actually start physically kicking the ball (causing their brain to start developing the in-house software and brain structures that support efficient field goal kicking) then very little has actually been accomplished.

for physical skills this is certainly true; no amount of talk can substitute building up a library of motor programs. however, for mental skills, process can certainly be taught directly as well as through practice. to take a simple example, teaching students to carefully evaluate sources for signs of being fake or satirical, and thus unreliable, is teaching a component of the process of research. some parts will require them to read and evaluate sources as practice, but others (such as what they should be looking for to verify/falsify the source) can be directly transmitted.

similarly, perhaps, only mental stimulation of the right kind might be necessary to build up the kind of process you refer to as a "bypass"

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 21, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I'm not challenging your academic background here, mine's mostly in computational linguistics, so if you have one in neurology or psychology you've likely got me beat. My worry is that Prester is trying to bridge neurology to sociology, which is still too wide of a gap for the understanding of either of those we have. Wrap that in some potentially out of place computer terminology and the result is likely going to be more confusing than helpful.

totally! part of what makes PJ's framework interesting and novel is that it is trying to bridge the gap between psych/neuroscience and sociology, though. certainly there are pitfalls involved and it's something that must be thought about very carefully, however.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, you're misunderstanding my complaint. There are two halves to what goes on inside our heads. There's the mind and the brain.

Surely, once we've developed our science enough, they'll be unified as a single discipline.

But right now, a Psychologist and a Neurobiologist are going to have very different models.

Trying to bridge those two without extensive knowledge in either is not a useful endeavor.

I think we've got very useful stuff coming from the psychological/sociological half of things. There's no reason to get into the biology half without a good reason.

as i have said, i have fairly extensive knowledge in both fields and so i fail to understand the objections to my discussion with prester. psychology and neurobiology do not really substantially disagree on how learning works...they are just describing different levels of the same phenomenon, and each informs the other. the study of how learning works is itself a research field which draws from both psych and neuroscience. nothing i have said was particularly speculative, unless i marked it as such.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

The current partisan split by age is a pretty new development. Historically there's been very little difference in voting habits vs. age.

Today, the country is largely evenly split, but the passing of time will change that. That's never really been true before. I don't personally believe in the inevitable march of progress, but that said, the demographic split is real, and the reality of lifespans is going to change the country. In that sense, based on the demographics right now, barring some younger generation of fascists, there is a little bit of inevitable progress coming.

Every year that Trump is president, more and more young people are exposed to an even deeper and more toxic Republican brand, and they don't like it. And the thing is, in the past, you might have been able to count on people changing party affiliations or voting for different parties over their life, but for better or worse, that's less and less the case these days, partisanship is the new norm, so you can more rightly assume that a 23 year old Democrat is voting straight D, and doing so for life.

age cohorts have always retained their partisan leanings into old age. flipping conservative as you age is basically a myth - it obviously happens on an individual level, but it's not a significant shift on the cohort level. fdr voters voted D until the day they died, mostly.

i do think that a wider swathe of people have been permanently turned off of conservatism than ever before though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

I gotta be honest, I'm worried about the direction of all this. I've been worried for awhile. It seems Russia has infiltrated us pretty deeply for some time and it is probably not a coincidence that everywhere Russian money turns up you find a bed of Narrativists. God I even realize how much of a paranoid schizophrenic I sound like as a type this, but there is a non-trivial chance that Russia has been (intentionally) implanting Narrativism into our society for quite some time. Certainly all the major [players in Alt-Media (like Alex Jones) all bleat in unison with the Russian botnet these days. It seems like Russia saw an opportunity and took advantage of situations the GOP had unknowingly created in our culture with its embrace of the southern Strategy. The extent to which these wounds are self inflicted versus otherwise is probably unknowable, but I suspect that Russia has simply figured out how to pour kerosene on various fires in the US culture wars. And what concerns me most is that they seem to have created several high-pressure spigots that dwarf anything I might have guessed at even in my literal paranoid fantasies.

you don't sound irrational at all here. this is exactly what the fusion gps house testimony says they uncovered, just without specifically naming narrativism. russia is aiming for radicalization, which is why they are essentially consciously fostering narrativism; they're like an undercover fbi counterterrorism agent who encourages angry young men to plant bombs, but for the entire conservative/conspiracy ecosystem. even when a narrativist group is calm and unlikely to compact, if russia (or anyone) can get enough false personas into that group's orbit, they can slowly push the envelope of accepted thought and raise the temperature within the group until it boils over and compacts

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the democrats apparently had absolutely no real-time understanding of how the american people were responding to the shutdown; the yes votes, anyway. why end the shutdown when both issues you're holding out for are 80+% popular and people are blaming the republicans? because you don't know any of those things

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

once you have syphilitic brain damage it doesn't go away even if the underlying infection is resolved, so maybe it was treated before the nose rot

(plain old dementia is much more likely tho)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Voting fuckery can't be uniform or wholly dominant or else Obama would have lost in 2016 and there never would have been enough votes to initially pass the PPACA.

I think vote fuckery is a lot more common than most americans are willing to admit but it can't be all-pervasive or things would be dramatically worse even than they are.

obama was riding enough of a wave that the fuckery couldn't touch him in 2008

2004 was almost certainly rigged in ohio through distribution of faulty machines to democratic areas, 2000 too maybe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fishmech posted:

This doesn't accord with your earlier posts where there was just "leftists", "centrists", and "nazis". Especially because being "proudly non-comittal to extremes" is a very small clutch of people as it stands.

it's a huge group of people dude. or at least, they have a disproportionate influence on the direction of american politics and the topics raised by mainstream media

the entirety of the #resistance, most of the democratic establishment from politicians down to the lanyard bringing them coffee, and everyone who is dedicated to Mother so much that they are still slandering bernie at the mere mention of him doing literally anything, those are the people proudly committed to being non-committal.

you yourself are a good example of the pedantic whataboutism and "pragmatic thinking" plaguing democratic discourse

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fishmech posted:

Nice paranoid persecution theory but it's not true. But of course you're moaning about how your favorite neoliberal consensus man is being hurt by being criticized from the left.

You've gone so up your own asses about the motives of people who don't agree with your particular brand of (center) leftism as to construct a bogus political spectrum where you're the leftmost thing possible. That's why you sit around complaining about the evil "centrists" who are often as not left of you.

Beautiful little strawman but seriously, don't do it again.

lmao

my dude this is absurd. bernie is the compromise candidate, not the leftmost extreme. i am a socialist. please tell me how the centrists who define themselves by being in the center are actually further left than karl marx

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fishmech posted:

You were attempting to defend the theories of the dude who said there's only "leftist", "centrist" and "nazis", I'll remind you. And you attempted to do this by complaining that the centrists made fun of Bernie.

Do you even read what you write or do you just rush to complain about the massive centrist conspiracy?

i question whether you read what anyone writes, generally

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

depends on how you personally define 'market economy'

like, are you attached to capitalism per se? or just exchanging goods through markets? one of the great obfuscations of capitalism is to portray all market-based exchange as capitalist, when it is very plainly not; economic systems before capitalism used markets, and market socialism is a thing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Do you think he is like, just missing the part of his brain that reads and processes posts, but still has the part intact that makes him confident that he's understood something

he simply doesn't care, op

reading posts is an exercise in finding where the other person is wrong and subtly distorting their words if they aren't wrong so that he can try to convince people that they are. it's the absolute definition of bad faith

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'd imagine it also has to do with trump feeling mad about people calling him soft on putin, so now he's going to show them just how hard he is

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fishmech posted:

Yes yes I get it, college philosophy 101 blew your mind, maan. It's still a bogus statement.

hmmm i wonder why PJ wants to move this thread to a forum you're not allowed to post in

it's a mystery, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

umalt posted:

It looks like the tweet is deleted, what did it say?

"socialists were the real problem in 1933 Germany"

• Locked thread