Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Pillars of Eternity

Comes out March 26th

Looks good, gonna buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Character creation seems pretty neat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ninotoreS posted:

PoE is apparently just an HD version of Baldur's Gate, but at least the gameplay is real-time with pause.

People trusting InXile's writers to produce plot/characters remotely approaching PS:T's quality are almost guaranteed to be disappointed. Beyond that, you're getting archaic turn-based combat. Considering how uninteresting Wasteland 2's became after the first few hours, I'm not optimistic. InXile just aren't that talented, bottom-line.

Idk I feel like there were a lot of other things that made Wasteland 2 bad. Like how the way skill tests scaled in the game it necessitated basically having one character each specialize in one thing. Also this first third of the game is boring doo doo stuff iirc.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I hope you all really like this game :) I like when kickstarters actually make something worthwhile and when imps get good games. Hopefully I can buy and play it in a couple months from now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bedlamdan posted:

IMO the only two flaws (though I haven't played the game yet) is that you don't get exp for killing things

Bedlamdan posted:

and there there aren't even any romances

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder what Big Durmsey gives you.

The dick

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm eager to see how the "psychic but not really a psychic" class plays. Sounds kind of like a paladin in that it buffs urself and debuffs others?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Disco Infiva posted:

Ciphers are probably the best and most interesting class in the game. They are closest to D&D psions.

What's their gameplay mechanic like?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Fungah! posted:

also the reputation system is very good and cool and with the triggers off it feels totally organic

What are the triggers?

Also, has anybody made any gimmick characters yet? Weak fights? Dimwit Wizards?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This game is fun and good. Is there a decent resource on character builds? I'm not looking to min/max really, just want to know if there are any glaring pitfall/lovely builds/talents that I don't want to accidentally take.

I just started derping around the first town having made it there with a boring human fighter, just to get an understanding of the game. It's on hard and I almost died a couple times already. Seems like non-tanky characters would have a rough go of it at the start.

I haven't experienced any glitches yet, but tbh I'm reading the text faster than the voice actors, and not really paying attention to the audio.

My only complaint is that I'm on two monitors, and when I try and scroll the screen, it jumps to the other monitor. How do I fix this?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

01011001 posted:

maybe poo poo gets less intuitive later but the key thing to note is that most rolls are d100 based. so +5 to an attack or defense or w/e is like +1 in D&D based games, and poo poo like +1 deflection from perception/resolve is not that meaningful

Sweet thanks.

Don't worry bud. That's what makes this game so dope. Hard mode is really challenging and fun and that was with the tanky character. I haven't played on normal yet, but I'm guessing doing it with a squishy character could be tough.

So far my research tells me that Druid is the best class, because their spells have very high damage and really big AOE. I wanted to make a chanter but they sound kind of passive and boring to play.

edit:
oh also, are there talent respecs?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with my paladin. They're pretty vanilla compared to ciphers and chanters, but that's OK. They're still really strong.

Think I'm going to make a paladin next. I want to make a dude who is super about his faith, so thats pally or priests but I heard priests were kind of bad. Like their heals are worse than their offensive spells, but if you're going to focus on offensive spells the other classes do it better.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The goal is to never die.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

my character is a huge homo but i didnt play the game at all yet so i could make a new one that doesnt suck... which race is the best? elves obviously not included, because theyre the worst

For any tank class, Wild Orlans are unarguably the best. The bonuses to perception resolve are just too good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a way to tell how strong something is before attacking it? I like the idea of not knowing enemy power levels in theory, because it's kind of more immersive. But in practice it just ends up being "quicksave, try encounter".

Also do enemies change power level as the party levels?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Vehementi posted:

""Adding and removing companion from the party seems to restore lost passives from the double-click bug""

True

Idk I havent tried it but im also an idiot who doesnt pay attention to if their passives are working.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Parallax Scroll posted:

game is improved if you set the voice and music sliders to zero

I kind of agree with the voice thing. I read faster than they talk which gets annoying. Also the voice audio doesn't work well if there's action text:

"dialogue text 1" [action text] "dialogue text 2"

Then the voice actor immediately reads 1 and 2 with no pause for the gamer to read the action text.

edit: I like the music though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 29, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Look at my DR and Defense lmao:

If my paladin can stand in a doorway then I'm loving golden. Paladin tanks, Priest on the buffs, wizard on the AoE, blond fighter... well he tries to help :shobon:

I was kind of worried at the beginning of the game because my tank paladin was really boring to play, but now that there is a big party to micromanage I'm kind of stoked about his relatively minimal management. Although this build wouldn't work at all without the wizard doing mad AoE. Sir Vixx usually misses but every now and then hits for 2(!) damage!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Game with Honor.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Sun and spring gently caress you, spoiler that poo poo..

Can't wait to fight the Big D.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
About that double click to equip -> lose passives.

If the bug occurs, will the text on your character screen describing the passives also disappear? Or will the text remain and you have to notice the passives are no longer working?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah, the companions are kind of poo poo. I'm still on my first run,and I want to do all the companion quests because I do like how they talk with each other and their stories are neat. But good golly they are unoptimal which makes hard setting even harder.

I just want to reroll and make a minmax cipher pc, and minmax everything else right from the get go.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The castle doesn't really do anything and I think the games thread posters calculated that you can actually lose money from it. There's nothing particularly special about it. You get the same stuff any town will provide plus some passive income generation.

But none of that matters because rebuilding your own castle is rad as heck!!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Should I make a druid + hippy friends party next or a cipher + evil demon friends party next?!!?

I really like that many cipher AOE's are foe only. By the time I got the druid companion in my first game, his stats were so wonky that the yellow int-foe-only portion of his aoe's was like, the antialiasing lmao

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Black Baby Goku posted:

It provides a base of operations you nonce, and bounties, and bonuses, and a lot of unique shops all on one map. Also a 15 level dungeon with tons of loot

Oh yeah I forgot about the bounties, that rules. Unique shops for real though? I rarely check my castle so like 4 things will be built in between visits.

The White Dragon posted:

cipher + hippy friends

420 smoke svef every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPwBN_IKxs

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
nedit: nm fixed itself.

It's fun being a druid with proper stats. The AoE size on my spells is crazy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 1, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Larry Parrish posted:

Turn them back on and beat the tutorial, then turn them back off.

Thanks!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Here's a post on Con vs other stuff

Autonomous Monster posted:

That looks like a room is desperate need of fireball spam. Hope your main's a wizard!

Also I did that Con vs. Per spreadsheet thing and made a graph:

Yes this graph looks familiar it's probably one Roguey or Sensuki made earlier, but anyway. Long story short, the additional deflection from dumping Con to 3 and putting those seven points in Per or Res only outweighs the penalty to endurance when the green line is above one. This is only true when you already have a 35 point deflection advantage over your opponents' attacks; i.e. on Fighters or maybe heavily tank-specced Pallies. Armour and interrupt make deflection more valuable, and enemy damage bonuses shift things in the other direction. I suspect that in actual gameplay Con and Per are balanced against each other, barring extreme scenarios, but I don't think it can be proven analytically.

I'm not going to speculate on the relative value of Con and the other stats.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
As gaming god intended

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm kind of glad slicken was needed because it was one of the best spells in the game. But on the other hand that was the only reason Sloth was in party.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Idk why so many frumpy Frannie's ITT. I think it's cool they fixed so much stuff, relatively quickly.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

What is dead may never Die!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

babypolis posted:

a paladin actually makes for a good PC since you can pump the talky skills and not gimp yourself. overall it doesnt matter much if your dude is boring cuz soon enough you will have 6 dudes and youll be glad you have one less guy to micro

Yeah my first character was a Paladin on hard and it was actually a pretty great character even though he was a boring min max tank. Once you have 6 characters, well... it's great to have a few characters that take basically no micro.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Atleast Da:O had fun combat.

This is insane! Pillars has by far better tactical rpg combat and basically every diablo and diablo clone has better action RPG combat. Dragon Age was a lovely middle ground that was a poo poo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Games posters are bad at games (and life) but a full party of custom NPCs with a spare slot for Durance is the most fun way to play. Or maybe my broken brain just really loves character generation I guess

This guy gets it. Although I haven't beaten the game yet, so I only made two custom characters so I could keep Eder and Wizard Bro in my party as well, for the story.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This game rules.

It's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Welp I started playing this game again after having not played it in months and boy howdy is it hard. I need to get back into the groove I feel.

• Locked thread