Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, late January / early February. I think the original VN was released at the same time in the year back in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, it's not as if zero's ED were any different than a stream of still images over a Kalafina song. Just seems to be ufotable's "thing".

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Last episode gave us the exact reason why Shirou uses Archer's weapons and fighting style.

There's also the fact that Shirou has not seen Saber's sword at any point in the story so far, and the only way he knows what her sword looks like in Fate is that he dreams about it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Hommando posted:

There's also the part where she Excaliblaps Rider.

That's true, but I wonder if he got a very good look at it, encased in light and all. I forget, does Shirou ever make a distinction between Caliburn and Excalibur in Fate?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part that got me with this episode was Gil cutting out Ilya's eyes, and her, knowing she's going to die, slowly crawling toward Berserker's body.. Dude is just ice cold. That scene was really hard to watch.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Ilya always did have the most disturbing / sick bad ends. In Fate, if you choose to run away from the first Berserker encounter and leave Saber to the birds, Ilya eventually catches you and she basically tortures Shirou just hard enough to destroy limbs, but not kill you. When Shirou regenerates all his lost limbs, she'll do it again.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but there's another one in UBW where during the scene where Caster has Taiga, if you choose poorly there, Caster captures Shirou instead and puts him in a weird incubator thing, and eventually Shirou's delirious fever dreams are interrupted by Rin breaking you out, but by that point you're so far gone you can't even think clearly. She pities you before leaving to continue the fight by herself.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
That's the impression I always got. Rin was well aware how Caster likes to gloat, and with Shirou and Kuzuki off fighting each other, if Rin could get Caster to drop her guard and stop flying around and thinking she won, she could get her right where she wanted.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Absum posted:

So after having seen these past two episodes I'm kind of confused about pretty much everything that Archer has done.

I already knew what was going on with him and Shirou because spoilers but why did he not just kill him at any given point in time and why did he do the entire double betrayal thing. Is he just acting on a whim all the time? I'm having a hard time pinning down his actual motivations.

Is it that he has kind of given up and doesn't have a goal anymore?

e: Maybe what I should be asking is if this will be addressed at some point. After thinking a bit longer I assume this will come up fairly soon?

His double betrayal was to get him away from Rin's Command Seal to not go after Shirou, and the only way to do that was to get Caster to use Rule Breaker on him. Otherwise he would be hopelessly hamstrung from the effects of Rin's order to oppose Saber in any meaningful capacity if he tried to kill Shirou again. Turning against Caster was just dropping her like a bad habit after he knew she was in a bad situation and wouldn't be able to punish him for disobedience. He never was really loyal to Caster, anyway. He only needed her to break his bond with Rin.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Poil posted:

Some of us are really bad at that kind of things, you know. :downs:

I didn't have the slightest clue until it was basically spelled out in the latest episode. And if I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't be sure it was actually the case too.

That was me, too. I actually watched the UBW movie before I finished the route, and the first time I really picked up on it was the beginning of Archer's monologue as Shirou arrives at the castle.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, the anime-original stuff has all been pretty solid throughout the entire show so far, from the Rin / Ilya fight to Archer traveling all over time and over a bunch of different places to kill folks. I wonder if Nasu is behind all of that.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Archer is just Shirou from an alternate timeline where he made that contract with the World and ended up gaining super powers in exchange for being a Counter Guardian. Type-Moon's universe allows for many different timelines that are all parallel to each other. As someone who made a contract with the World, the Shirou that became Archer is removed from the regular universe and placed in the Throne of Heroes, which as Aumanor said, exists completely outside the normal universe. The individuals who are in the Throne can be brought into the regular world by summoning magic, i.e. the Holy Grail War, but only for the duration of the current one (ideally, but as Gilgamesh proved, there are ways you can cheat that as a Servant).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
If Archer was really trying to kill Shirou, he could have done it much more easily than having a sword fight. Winning isn't his problem; it's breaking Shirou and getting him to admit his ideals are wrong.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm beginning to see why Nasu told everyone not to expect a sequel to Fate/zero from this show. This was always going to be Unlimited Blade Works, so expecting every dangling plot thread from zero to be resolved is quite unrealistic, unless, of course, they were willing to almost completely change the plot of it.

Heaven's Feel is a much more realistic comparison to zero, given the themes and more characters who had important roles in zero will have more screen time and development in that route (with the notable exception of one), but whenever that comes out, yeah, the comparisons to zero are going to get ridiculous, but there at least is a sensible basis.

As for the Avalon stuff, I dunno, there's some foreknowledge bias when it comes to how I perceive things, but the reason it was given to Iri in the first place in zero was because of its regenerative powers, at least when Saber was around to increase its effect (not to mention how it was used as her summoning catalyst). Even if zero does not explicitly show Kiritsugu embedding it within Shirou, it's not hard to make the connection between "Kiritsugu encountering a nearly dead Shirou, cut to the future, Shirou is alive and well a few years later" when Avalon's powers were explicitly spelled out earlier in the story, especially when magically transferring the thing into a new body was shown previously in the story (when Iri was almost dead and gave it to Kiritsugu).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I wish Lancer could have thrown out that "Even in my current state, I could handle a thousand of you" line he had in the VN at Shinji. That was one of my favorite lines in the entirety of the VN.

In any case, yeah, I thought this episode was really good. Definitely one of the better ones in the show so far, actually. stay night is in a weird spot where so much is conveyed by the text, you really can't get around it while trying to do an adaptation of it. This part was always going to have to be wordy, and for that reason I don't have a too terrible much to complain about in regards to how the last couple episodes have gone. The Archer vs. Shirou fight is the plot climax of the entire route, even if there are a few loose ends that I assume will be handled in the last couple episodes, since time is running out. The flashy fights are fun, but not every episode can just be fancy fights and superpowers.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, I have to say his theorizing about Archer's identity, interspersed with things we know from zero that are very far from right (Saber being Kotomine's Servant, for example), was really interesting to read. All his theories turned out to be wrong, but reading the impressions of someone who clearly has very little familiarity with the series is quite refreshing.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Speaking of which, where did Sakura go? Does she have no role in this route?

She's still at the Matou's house. As far as I remember, she has no role whatsoever from the point the show is at to the end. She's pretty non-existent in Fate and UBW.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Cephas posted:

So those unlimited blade works huh.

Why does Archer even use a bow? Shirou is a huge sword geek and Archer's an even bigger sword geek, but in the flashbacks of Archer's counter-guardian career, he exclusively shot dudes with his longbow. It feels a little suspect to me that the Counter Force would be like "okay so you took archery club in high school, so I guess we'll assign you a magic bow." Is his bow even a noble phantasm?

Being a completely unknown hero, Archer doesn't really have a Noble Phantasm in the first place. UBW is the closest thing he has to one.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
One of the most interesting VN scenes to me was the one where Shirou was doing a little archery practice, and it's this whole spiritual process for him. Visualizing the target and making the arrow meet the image in your mind. Apparently Japanese archery is a big deal, at least the way Nasu wrote that scene.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, if there was anything that could get me into Japanese archery (far from an impossibility), it would be that scene. It's not only good foreshadowing, but it's very Shirou-like diligence in that scene. I had just assumed Japanese archery was as utilitarian as Western archery seems to me, but that scene was certainly educational.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

What's up with people in this thread hating Kiritsugu? He was much better then Shirou. His methods absolutely did work. The only reason he failed was because the true nature of the grail was hidden from him. He was badads, effective, and a much more compelling protagonist.

"Worked" in what sense? The result of his actions were a fire that devastated Fuyuki (destroying tons of buildings and killing presumably thousands), the death of his wife and close assistant, complete separation from his daughter (who came to hate his guts, although for unjustified reasons), and more or less passing the buck after failing to satisfactorily end the fourth war. zero's conclusion is a complete dressing down of the kind of idealism that Kiritsugu represents, and he'd be the last person to agree his methods were effective.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I always use the generic class names to talk about the Servants from stay night. So, when I say Archer I always mean EMIYA, Caster always is Medea, etc.

For the Servants outside of stay night, I just preface them like Zero Lancer or Zero Rider. Gil is special, though, as he considers himself to be.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
That was probably the most tasteful way to handful that particular point in the story. I imagine Shirou's battle with Gilgamesh will happen over episode 23 and at least the first half of 24. I can't imagine much time needs to be spent on the epilogue.

By the way, Compendium, I'm a bit curious. What was your introduction to the Fate series, anyway? Did you get into it because of zero?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Rodyle posted:

For the record there is I'm fact a Saber/Shirou powow about Kiritsugu in Fate, and what she says (and Zero elaborates on this) is that she found him ruthless, abhorrent, and to the very end never understood who he was or why he did anything.

I thought at some point she admitted Kiritsugu's final decision in regards to the Grail was the correct one, even if she had no idea why it was happening at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Compendium posted:

I forget how great the bad endings are sometimes.

Good Ending is ehn.

I wouldn't mind a 10 minute OVA thing on the Blu-rays for this show to have the Good Ending. I don't know what they'd do with "Rin gets her Saber and Shirou harem at last", but I'm sure they'd think of something.

• Locked thread