Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh man, I love this game. Where to start?

I love that the game actually teaches you stuff. It's not a grind, it's not sequence memorization, but player skill does a lot. You suffer at first, you get to level 2-3 and die from bad preparation, you start using the knife to save ammo, you learn the hard way when's a good point to stop using the knife, you learn to kite guards and anticipate their movement, you learn what an EM detector does (I never created that actually, I thought it was just an upgrade to detect swarmbots), you learn to use AP weapons and explosives when you encounter mechs, blah blah blah. The point is, the game plays very fast but gives you an actual sense of accomplishment for every level beaten.

I love the guards. Oh man, I love the concept. Sure, faceless legions of random mooks are good to unstress yourself, but these are something similar to your character - someone smart enough to cooperate, use cover, and set an ambush, and armed with automatic weapons. It gets even worse when you (I don't think you showed this?) get a crack security team called on you, that starts in some entrance and tracks you through the level - is this what cameras do if you fail to destroy them carefully?

And the setting. From the hilariously overdone super-oppressive corporation stuff, to the whole experiment ("Let's just grab one single molecule from another universe, just to be safe" "Guess what shithead, it doesn't have to play by your rules and can be an autonomous sentient entity, have some null-space pudding") to the graphics. I love the pixel look because it can be polished, too many devs nowadays seem to say "I maed my game low-res, gimme money for retro" but here you can see everything's been polished to the extent the overall graphic level allows. There's civilian/technical equipment in the right places, pre-generated rooms don't seem jarring (it's corporate, of course stuff gets standardized) and it's consistent with the fluff provided by the terminals. Love it.

But enough with my :circlefap: about the game. I've been watching your LP since the beginning and you're doing it really well. I appreciate your playstyle - more careful and methodical than mine, I can and do learn quite a bit from that.Mine is very ambushy and intuitive, so I tend to miss a lot of detail about enemy tactic and capabilities.

(but craft that teleport already, ffs :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You know how irritating was watching you play like half the episode with no teleport and complaining that you have no items for it when you clearly did at the end of the last video? :argh:

VVV: gently caress YOUUUUUUU :ssj:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 6, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

How many runs end in success, roughly? One in ten? Or is it much worse than that?

That very much depends on your skill. And whether you accidentally push the "shove live explosive up own rear end" button. :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tombot posted:

Quick question: I saw an achievement pop up after you minced that final boss. Was that for finishing the whole game from level one? and if so, how many people even have that? I mean geez.

Nope, that was actually for surviving level 10. I'm not sure how it's possible to miss that if you've beaten the game before (judging from the achievements for 1st successful run / 1 life run not popping up).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
BTW, which version are you playing? I have the Die More Edition and it seems slightly different, I can't get random starting loadouts for example. And plates cost 5 cans, I couldve sworn they cost 4 even in this edition :pwn:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ah, I thought G&T was an upgrade from normal to DME or something like that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Leylite, you said (reliably, as we've seen) that there are certain loot rooms/pieces scattered all over the level. How random is it? Is absolutely everything pre-determined and only the locations vary, or is there only a few of these premade rooms and the rest is random cabinets with random loot?

BTW, could you record in 720p or is that a problem? I know it sounds weird for a pixel game, but it does make a difference in visibility. Also, please don't click the microphone :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
480 is OK if more's a problem. Just wanted to know if it's easily doable.

Pity about the loot though. I understand how the predictability can add to the reliance on skill and mastering the game, but it's a big turnoff to me, it kinda feels like I'm gaming the system and not actually doing better on my own merits :|

VVV: Good point.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leylite posted:

If you want to give yourself an added challenge while watching, here's one: Find a secret room that I didn't.

Level 2, center of the map. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

:ssh: With more inventory room from the restrictions, plus less need for Mchips, I'm imagining a lot more teleporters will get made. :ssh:

Teleporter heals you. It is a health item :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread