Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a word of warning if it hasn't been brought up, but on like floor 60 there's a boss who is just flat out immune to all physical attacks. This includes spellblade attacks. I swapped out my cures for magic because it doesn't hit hard and am about to give it a second try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finally decided to take on Elite dungeons now that I'm in my low 20s and I'm kinda steamrolling through non-boss fights at least. Plus I'm getting level 2- and 3- star orbs, which is good.

Guard Scorpion just loves to raise his tail right after I input commands for four guys. :v:

He does it after his third attack. I usually have everyone guard after his second.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Still couldn't beat him. Turns out he not only has a lot of HP, but sometimes he just decides to sit back and spam his AOE non-stop. My earlier attempt against him had him using only his useless single-target attack. It'd be kind of nice if there way some way to tell what actually was classified as "ranged" or not.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I beat it using a strategy someone in the old topic posted about. I gave Weedgoku the buster sword and Jump. Killed the drat thing in one hit. Turns out it only has like 8k health or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

If I remember correctly it's three, same as Guard Scorpion. Same wait length too, only you don't get to count off the attacks it makes in counter stance since Mist Dragon doesn't attack there.

Longer, actually. At least based on my experience. When I counted, it switched forms on attack four. But I beat it on my next run so I might be wrong.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ugh 65 is another lovely immune to melee attacks boss. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just change your party or something. But nope, can't even equip an additional spell or anything which means if you gently caress up that's 102 stamina.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So after those melee immune bosses, mastering the last floors of shinra tower was cake, even dragging along a level 10 sephiroth. Well, time to grind some dark orbs I guess because now I don't know what to do. I did manage to get the drain spellblade attack for Cloud. While it might not be as great as an elemental one, having a way for him to heal himself during hard dungeons is great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nickoten posted:

Just beat and mastered the second melee boss. I had a level 27 Rydia with 4 Thundaras and 141 magic to cast them off of. It only took 2 of them plus a boosted Kain Double Jump to kill it. I would estimate this guy has a little over 9,000 HP.

My party was Tyro (with Cura and Protect), Kain, Cloud, Rydia (with lv 2 or 3 Thunder and lv 2 Thundara), and Wakka.

So I actually have been leveling up Wakka the entire dungeon for this fight, switching Tidus out for him. In the end I think he did more harm than good due to being easier to kill. My advice is don't bother with Wakka unless you have some absurdly strong ranged weapon for him to abuse; if Rydia is well prepared you absolutely won't need his damage at all.

So if anyone is trying to prepare to master that level on the first try, here's my advice:

1. Make sure your party is strong enough to autobattle to the boss without dying. Upgrade and combine the Protect Vests and Mythril Armlets to make this easier. My party average was around 27 but I think you could do it a level or two sooner so long as your gear is decent (I don't have a single 5* piece of equipment, and only one 4* armor). I didn't notice a big change between floors 55 and 65, so if you can comfortably autobattle the stages up to the first ranged boss you're probably fine.

2. Go to the FFIV Underground Waterfront elite stage and Master Octomammoth (killing it quickly with Thundara and Thunderstrike) to get the Light Rod. Level this up and put it on Rydia. See if you can get her Magic to be over, say, 130. You could probably do it with less, too.

3. (Optional) Get the Light Staff from Elite Mako Reactor no.5 (easier than the previous step) and give it to Tyro. It makes him a really good healer.

4. Make a party with at least these three people: Tyro with Cura and Protect, Cloud, and Rydia with a honed Thundara. Maybe Kain, too. Go to the ranged boss, making sure Rydia enters the fight with full HP. Have someone Boost Kain while Tyro casts Protect on Rydia. Kain can Jump or Double Jump, Rydia just casts Thundara every turn. If Rydia somehow dies, just do the close out trick.

Honestly, I just don't want anyone to invest too much time or money into ranged attacks or leveling up Jump or whatever thinking this fight is harder than it is. It really just comes down to getting Rydia to like 120-140 magic and keeping her alive while she casts a honed Thundara a couple times and that's really it. This dungeon will be a piece of cake if you've got Thundara leveled up once. I will let you guys know how well blinding and poisoning the last boss works when I get there.

Just put a strong melee weapon, preferably an FF7 one, on tyro and give him jump. It's not any more of an investment than grinding rydia, her equipment and thundara up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Augus posted:

Thanks for the tips, I've been kinda dreading these fights but knowing that it's really just a matter of pimping out Rydia and spamming Thundara helps a lot

What's the close out trick?

If you have thunder strike, I think someone mentioned earlier that it works on the boss if someone with a ranged weapon uses it. So that's another option.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I rolled for the masamune and got the grand glove.

EDIT: Now I have both and am completely out of mythril. RNG smiles upon me this game. I have too many 3* items though I'm going to have to start selling them to make up for inventory space.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 4, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

You do have like, a week to get 30 more mythril if you want the 50 roll!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Honestly if you go for the 11 pull it seems like you're guaranteed at least one 5* at least based on my experiences.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Well I was thoroughly proven wrong and super lucky at this game. I'm sorry.

I just noticed this game doesn't have a friend system like every other free game, weird.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jibo posted:

Yeah I'm also just grinding out Grand Summon orbs right now. I'm gotten them 6 out of 7 attempts on Rufus so I'm thinking I have a realistic chance of getting all 20 needed for Syldra and Leviathan before the event is done. The greater elemental orbs will probably take forever to get though.

I kind of want to grind myself up to 50 stamina before I try this just so I can wait, then burn through the whole round in one go. Also it's kind of nice that they also drop regular summon orbs too.

Are summons even that great though? I don't use rydia so I have no clue.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Toshimo posted:

It's coming. JP has it already.

Does it have a trading system? Or what does it let you do more specifically.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

If it gets a boost in the FFV missions that'll be nice.

EDIT: I've gotten three free daily rolls today alone. It was like this when the tifa glove update went live too, every few hours I got a free daily roll try. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, or if everyone gets it. But I suggest checking.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 4, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

If I had to hazard a completely uninformed guess, I'd say after the 12th. When the FF7 event ends we might see more main game content.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'd agree with that. You get a lot of gold per enemy drop in hard mode. I don't think I got more than like 6k per thing of normal mode. Meanwhile you get like 15k just for running the first thing of hard mode once and a decent amount of exp.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The sinspawn/sinscale boss is kind of bullshit on elite. The sinscales hit so hard and seem to attack like three times faster than anyone else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kaninrail posted:

Kill 2 out of the 3 sinspawn, they don't respawn unless you kill all 3 and they die really easily.

Even one remaining it hits for 1000 damage or so on dudes with 5* armor and it goes faster than everyone else in the fight. The boss is an absolute non-issue it's that thing, and I basically have to keep it alive until the boss' HP pool is down. Some fights it does nothing but spam spines and just wrecks everyone so it's a race to kill the boss first because I can't outheal the damage it pumps out yet. All my characters are 30+, and they say it's a 26 zone. Oh well, I went back to grinding rufus for summon orbs. This seems like a good idea.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I assume that's the mist dragon? I didn't bother with dark attacks and instead just did it without getting countered.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

Put it to sleep.

Sleep is a one star black magic spell that is super cheap to hone. It wakes up if you attack it, but you won't do that, right?

I don't know why I never thought of this. Not like Tyro does much attacking anyway. Thanks!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Have I been oblivious all this time or did something go wrong? Usually when I kill the cat and do enough damage Rufus just buggers off like he does in FF7. At least I thought he did every time I played this mission, maybe I haven't been paying attention? Because sephiroth just attacked him during his dialogue and straight up murdered him. I like this take on the FF7 canon more.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So are the cecils worth using if I have cloud, tifa and sephiroth with their 5*'s already? I'm out of mythril but I might be able to grind another 35 before the event ends or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is he worth replacing Tidus or Tifa though?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is this sorceress event on Elite even possible to master? My dudes are almost all level 50 and most of them have at least one 5* piece of armor, what isn't 5* is 4* and everything is maxed out. They all have 5* weapons maxed out. But I'm still doing chump damage and getting oneshot easily.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

For all the skills I can use, I need the highest level orbs though. So far I've only seen them drop FROM events like this. Like, it wasn't even bosses that were killing me, it was the trash. I don't get how having a few good abilities would be useful if I'd run out before the first mission was even done, clearing trash.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I want to complete Heroic just for the completion rewards once but almost every time I get a back-to-back warmech fight where they just spam the wave blast which not only makes it nearly impossible to get a good grade due to to the fact that it tanks your damage rank, but back to back fights like that are straight up ridiculously hard to survive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It really doesn't feel like they thought this through entirely. Gimmick bosses where you have to beat the limbs to damage them are common in FF sure. On hardmode Anima regens those turbine things in like a second. You can't even really queue up more than one attack in preperation or else you attack it automatically and just get countered. So the only real option is to just deal with a long fight full of counters, just hoping it doesn't spam the party-wide lightning attack constantly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really haven't noticed any difference between one arm or two. It still uses the electric attack, it just doesn't use it twice in a row. Which makes no difference if it decides to just throw it around as much as it wants. Not everyone has retaliate either.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How do you even use Retaliate anyway? I made it but I don't have enough orbs to hone it. Do you just use it and hope they attack the guy with it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What's with the "actions taken" requirement for some enemies anyway? There's one in the event, the myrmidon I think? I can beat it in like two hits but I still only get EXPERT rating because of turns taken.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Does clicking "skip" still count as turns taken?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:shepface: So even unhoned, Retaliate is turning out amazing. Cast boost on Sephiroth, use armor break then just have everyone go nuts attacking him and that's enough to bring down anima from full HP before it runs out. If I can get the orbs to hone it a bit I think I can take on heroic.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

JibberJabberwocky posted:

So I am at 50 mithril.

But apparently neither of the banners that were up are particularly good (Lenna and Vanille's soul break weapons) so - I didn't do it yet.

To those in the know, are we likely to see any interesting gatcha-ables during the Locke event?

His unique weapon, that's usually how it goes. Personally I'm waiting for Auron. Unless the Japanese version introduces Jecht by then, in which case I'll be waiting however long for The Best.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wow, the Diablos boss fight is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Unless you can beat him before he attacks you have almost no hope of getting a good rank because gravaga or whatever counts as all of the damage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So is Thundaja worth busting out a mage for? I have enough exp eggs to bring someone up to a good level if so, but I don't really have any other black magic right now. Working on getting Quake though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So, compared to the sorceress event. How hard is it to beat this one on elite?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How important is synergy anyway? Like should I swap out Cloud for FF6 characters, for instance? Or should I swap out 5* gear for 4* gear that gets synergy?

EDIT: Does that 5* sword have technically unlimited non-class restricted lightning slash for its limited break? That's kind of rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neat. That might explain why the FF8 event was so balls then. We have like no FF8 characters and FF8 equips are few and far between. This time around once I get locke I'm going to level him and Terra up so I can use them instead of Tyro and Cecil.

EDIT: Is it worth rolling on all this FF6 gear?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread