Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is it better to get Ice Strike or Blind Attack? I imagine Ice Strike would be useful for some of the Elite FFIV bosses, while Blind Attack would just be a useful generic ability (like for Rufus or Kimahri).

Blind Attack can be used by people like Tidus while spellblade stuff is just cloud (and tyro) more or less. I have ice/thunder strike on Cloud, Dark Attack/Salve on Tidus, Blade Bash/Fire(:sigh:) on Sephiroth, Boost/Cure on Tyro, and Thunder/Thundaga on Rydia. I'm going to try Antlion expert shortly and just need to make Blizzaga for Rydia first. I made Dark Attack after the 3 elemental strikes but YMMV.

There's also Drain Attack, which I haven't used much, but could be useful on Cloud if it's not as anemic as enemy drain attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Used another 5 myth...pulled a bastard sword and my freebie was a plumed hat...:negative: I am forever doomed to 3* crap and maybe a 4* out of pity.

Upside, I'm done with the core dungeons...until they release more of them. Been grinding Gil all day and the Master FF7 dungeons for master ranks. gently caress guard scorpion...always puts it's loving tail up as soon as I put in a command.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The sinspawn/sinscale boss is kind of bullshit on elite. The sinscales hit so hard and seem to attack like three times faster than anyone else.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Nuebot posted:

The sinspawn/sinscale boss is kind of bullshit on elite. The sinscales hit so hard and seem to attack like three times faster than anyone else.

Kill 2 out of the 3 sinspawn, they don't respawn unless you kill all 3 and they die really easily.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kaninrail posted:

Kill 2 out of the 3 sinspawn, they don't respawn unless you kill all 3 and they die really easily.

They still hit fairly hard by themselves (especially Spines) and the boss' Gravity attacks don't help, even if they can't kill you.

I'm wondering if it's possible to Blind one of them with an attacker that doesn't kill them, if so, that takes a lot of the problem out of the fight.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm wondering if it's possible to Blind one of them with an attacker that doesn't kill them, if so, that takes a lot of the problem out of the fight.

Your choices there currently are Tyro or (snrk) Bard/Ranger. Dark Strike is a Support move, and the only named characters that use those both get synergy bonuses in that fight. It might be something to leave until later, especially since Elite missions don't really have rewards that are that great unless you're really aching for stamina shards or mythril.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kaninrail posted:

Even one remaining it hits for 1000 damage or so on dudes with 5* armor and it goes faster than everyone else in the fight. The boss is an absolute non-issue it's that thing, and I basically have to keep it alive until the boss' HP pool is down. Some fights it does nothing but spam spines and just wrecks everyone so it's a race to kill the boss first because I can't outheal the damage it pumps out yet. All my characters are 30+, and they say it's a 26 zone. Oh well, I went back to grinding rufus for summon orbs. This seems like a good idea.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Where do I actually get dark attacks? I'm trying for the light rod but I'm having a hard time getting master on the boss because I have to cart around this terrible black Mage

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I assume that's the mist dragon? I didn't bother with dark attacks and instead just did it without getting countered.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DrManiac posted:

Where do I actually get dark attacks? I'm trying for the light rod but I'm having a hard time getting master on the boss because I have to cart around this terrible black Mage

The only dark element attack currently is the black mage's soul break.

E: I think most people are getting it by just not going for that. Get Champion on each other level and do well enough on the last stage that not getting the dark damage thing doesn't drop you down too low and you'll still get Master.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DrManiac posted:

Black Mage is the only one with dark attacks.

And you don't need him to Master the dungeon, I did it today. Just bring Tyro, Rydia, Cloud, Kain, filler (I use Wakka for Boost and a ranged attacker, but your usage may vary). Make sure you get perfect scores for the first two stages (give Tyro Fire to help deal with Flans, or if Kain can kill them in one hit just let him take care of them). For the boss as long as you get a good Expert Score you'll master the dungeon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What are the best areas to use for farming the materials needed for Thunder Strike?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Augus posted:

What are the best areas to use for farming the materials needed for Thunder Strike?

Figaro Castle.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Power and Lightning both are from Figaro, and even though most of the other drops are trash, you have a better chance of getting Black orbs at the Imperial Camp since you usually get three enemies per round instead of two.

I'm going to try the Heli Gunner soon. I wrecked the Hundred Gunner in just two Thundaras and a bow attack from Wakka, so I'm hoping this is largely the same. The Light Rod really makes all the difference.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Alxprit posted:

Power and Lightning both are from Figaro, and even though most of the other drops are trash, you have a better chance of getting Black orbs at the Imperial Camp since you usually get three enemies per round instead of two.

I'm going to try the Heli Gunner soon. I wrecked the Hundred Gunner in just two Thundaras and a bow attack from Wakka, so I'm hoping this is largely the same. The Light Rod really makes all the difference.

If you thought the Hundred Gunner was easy, the Heli Gunner is more of the same. Rufus, on the other hand, is a real pain in the rear end.

On the subject of Support, Wakka can use support skills, he's the only person available who can go up to 5* skills for it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2015

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
When you hone an ability above the max level a character can use, can they still use that ability at their level cap?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gyger posted:

When you hone an ability above the max level a character can use, can they still use that ability at their level cap?

Honing doesn't affect a character's ability to use abilities, the rarity of the skill does. So if a 5* rarity support skill came out, Wakka could use it, but Tidus couldn't.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
0/16 black cowl

Is it a ruse
Does it really exist...?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

James Totes posted:

0/16 black cowl

Is it a ruse
Does it really exist...?

I've managed two, it exists.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I recruited Sephiroth.

Just in time for the EXP-grinding map. :black101:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

James Totes posted:

0/16 black cowl

Is it a ruse
Does it really exist...?

When you kill the boss, if you don't see the treasure chest pop out of it, immediately pause the game and retreat (NOT the close out trick, actually use the in-game retreat from battle option). You'll be in the dungeon right before that boss stage, and you can spend just the mana for that stage to try again. Maybe this could save you more time and stamina and thus give you more tries?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Nickoten posted:

When you kill the boss, if you don't see the treasure chest pop out of it, immediately pause the game and retreat (NOT the close out trick, actually use the in-game retreat from battle option). You'll be in the dungeon right before that boss stage, and you can spend just the mana for that stage to try again. Maybe this could save you more time and stamina and thus give you more tries?

I've been doing this. It's hard; the window is tight if you don't have an indicator to go by (aka orb, gold). 0/21 currently using the trick to speed it up a lot. About 50% rate on a tier 2 orb, exceedingly rare chance at gold (only gotten it once) but otherwise...

She even went Undead once! Almost instantly, which was weird.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The English version doesn't give any info beyond "5 star is more rare than 4s, which are more rare than 3s" while the Japanese version gave percentages for chances to pull and it was horrible at the start. Now the odds for a 5 star is about 10% simply because there's more of them relative to the amount of 3-4 star gear.

So the number of 5* items available actually changes your odds of getting a 5* item? I've been reading that these events that up the odds of getting an item (Buster Sword, etc) only improve your odds of getting that particular 5* item if you manage to roll a 5* item. So basically, it sounded like the game first rolled to see if you got a 3, 4, or 5 star item, and then rolled for a particular item within the subset. And if it works that way, I could totally see the odds of getting 3/4/5 remaining at 70/20/10 (or whatever, I made those numbers up) even after more 5* items get added.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Nuebot posted:

Even one remaining it hits for 1000 damage or so on dudes with 5* armor and it goes faster than everyone else in the fight. The boss is an absolute non-issue it's that thing, and I basically have to keep it alive until the boss' HP pool is down. Some fights it does nothing but spam spines and just wrecks everyone so it's a race to kill the boss first because I can't outheal the damage it pumps out yet. All my characters are 30+, and they say it's a 26 zone. Oh well, I went back to grinding rufus for summon orbs. This seems like a good idea.

Put it to sleep.

Sleep is a one star black magic spell that is super cheap to hone. It wakes up if you attack it, but you won't do that, right?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
1/24 for Black Cowl.

I'm. I'm not getting another.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

James Totes posted:

1/24 for Black Cowl.

I'm. I'm not getting another.

I'm only at 0/4 but this makes me want to give up completely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

Put it to sleep.

Sleep is a one star black magic spell that is super cheap to hone. It wakes up if you attack it, but you won't do that, right?

I don't know why I never thought of this. Not like Tyro does much attacking anyway. Thanks!

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Fun fact I found out while grinding the EXP map today.

If you level up after a dungeon your abilities get reset to full. So if you're about to level with Cloud of someone with useful abilities, fire away. They'll be full for the next floor you enter!

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Whats my best strat from going from first day playing to getting sepheroth before his dungeon expires in a few days?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 5, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Have I been oblivious all this time or did something go wrong? Usually when I kill the cat and do enough damage Rufus just buggers off like he does in FF7. At least I thought he did every time I played this mission, maybe I haven't been paying attention? Because sephiroth just attacked him during his dialogue and straight up murdered him. I like this take on the FF7 canon more.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Have I been oblivious all this time or did something go wrong? Usually when I kill the cat and do enough damage Rufus just buggers off like he does in FF7. At least I thought he did every time I played this mission, maybe I haven't been paying attention? Because sephiroth just attacked him during his dialogue and straight up murdered him. I like this take on the FF7 canon more.

Certain characters have unique interactions or dialogue with bosses. This is one of the examples available in NA.

When we get Cecil I know him and Rydia have unique dialogue with Kain as a boss in the FFIV world. Rydia might not by herself? I haven't tried since I got her.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

:siren: Tips for Goons having issues with the flying bosses in the Shinra event :siren:

Thank you for this. I got the rod with a party of 23. Took me 2 tries to master because I wasn't cranking out enough damage. Still only got expert, but it gave me the mastery. Beat the first range boss very quickly, gonna level before I finish the zone.

Debating leveling up more (I'm 25 now) to make the rest a breeze, or trying to get Sephiroth with my party at 25 so I can level him for the rest of today.

I was also wondering if any of the core classes are worth leveling since today is a good opportunity. Not having a dark attack seems like it could be an issue down the road, but I think I read Sephiroth can pick up the slack there. Can I leave the core classes in the dust (obviously not Tyro).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Boozie posted:

Thank you for this. I got the rod with a party of 23. Took me 2 tries to master because I wasn't cranking out enough damage. Still only got expert, but it gave me the mastery. Beat the first range boss very quickly, gonna level before I finish the zone.

Debating leveling up more (I'm 25 now) to make the rest a breeze, or trying to get Sephiroth with my party at 25 so I can level him for the rest of today.

I was also wondering if any of the core classes are worth leveling since today is a good opportunity. Not having a dark attack seems like it could be an issue down the road, but I think I read Sephiroth can pick up the slack there. Can I leave the core classes in the dust (obviously not Tyro).

Tyro's the only one that's remotely worth it. Black/White Mage get their second Soul Break from the Light Rod/Staff, but still not worth the trouble of bringing them up to par.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Ok I finally hit mastery on the last fight in the event dungeon. If I decide to skip farming the greater summon orbs. How long will it be before a chance to farm the orbs returns?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Got mastery completion on the hard exp dungeon and can easily master the first level. :getin:

30k if you don't get a round with a Wyvern.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

baram. posted:

Got mastery completion on the hard exp dungeon and can easily master the first level. :getin:

30k if you don't get a round with a Wyvern.

Yeah, Hard XP dungeon is pretty great.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Does the Japanese version have 'generic' (crystal/job icon) gear yet?

Or at least a way to make pre-arranged teams? Or an optimize that takes into account synergy bonuses?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Does the Japanese version have 'generic' (crystal/job icon) gear yet?

Or at least a way to make pre-arranged teams? Or an optimize that takes into account synergy bonuses?

No to the last two at least.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'd complain that the synergy bonuses are too powerful but I just got the Grand Glove from a relic draw so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yes! My faith has been rewarded!

:woop:

• Locked thread