Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mediadave posted:

That the SNP stuff seems to be striking a cord, and therefore the Tories will keep hammering it for the next two weeks, just makes my heart sink.

Does it? I thought all the polls had been static for months? And all my anecdotal evidence suggests that people in England (London, mind) don't seem to have an issue with Nicola Sturgeon, so I don't see how successfull this "Sturgeon AND Milliband" thing could be.

Imagine being Scottish Labour right now, and losing all your left-wing voters to the SNP, while the Tories hark on about what they see as the spectre of a Labour-SNP coalition. Tory-hating Scottish voters who have switched to the SNP probably think that sounds pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I can see how London would be a pretty great city if you earned a good amount of money, lived in a decent area and had a commute of less than 30 minutes. I can't imagine that applies to more than 5% of Londoners.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Disinterested posted:

It applies to a lot more than that.

Maybe we have a different perception of "a good amount of money."

I just don't see what London offers which cities like Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol don't, for a fraction of the housing cost.

Of course this is looking at them objectively, assuming you have no other subjective ties or desires. One of my housemates hates London but still lives here because all her friends from uni moved here and she'd have no social life if she uprooted herself and moved away.

edit - I'm also looking at it from the perspective of new arrivals. If you're older, and you bought a house back in the '90s or even early 2000s, you'd be a lot better off than most of the people who have settled here in the last 10 years.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

These are almost the exact same reasons I've heard from people who have left London for why they couldn't go back. "Everyone is in a rush to get somewhere and when they get there they never stop."

On the contrary, nothing bugs me more than the agonisingly slow walking pace of most Londoners.

Zephro posted:

As someone who lives in the countryside because he can't afford to have kids in London, let me assure you that the countryside is poo poo.

The true answer is that everywhere is poo poo, but wherever you live is at least marginally better than everywhere else, because your house is there with your bed and stuff in it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Disinterested posted:

I think that's tourists you're thinking of unless you run everywhere.

My actual theory is that on a crowded street everybody gets bottlenecked behind the weakest link. Everybody in New York was flipping slow as well at first glance, then you realise there's about ten people like you, trying to edge their way past the one old guy with a walking stick.

Process all old people for soylent imo

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

XMNN posted:

If you lived in Thanet would you vote Tory to keep Farage out? I hate them as much as the next person, but one extra Tory MP is going to be a lot less damaging than Farage getting into parliament.

Why? Because of the pressure on an EU referendum or the continued existence of Ukip as a functioning party?

Apparently the DUP are also pro-referendum and there's 8 of them.

Although looking at the breakdown I can't see how it's possibly going to be anybody other than the SNP as kingmakers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The issue with this is that if the tories have even one more seat than labour they are going to object to any ed miliband coalition as being a "losers coalition" and claim it is illegitimate. I don't think there is any seat where tactically voting tory would be justified.

Yeah, Australia had a minority government from 2010-2013 with Labour propped up by independents and the Greens, and the Tory opposition leader (now PM and noted torture apologist Tony Abbott) was constantly attacking its legitimacy and demanding an early election. It was a constant, excruciatingly irritating background noise.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Regarding Ukip's future, I read somewhere - can't find it now - that their terrifying strategy is not necessarily to win many seats in 2015, but to come second in around 100 electorates and hope that Labour forms government. Then when the pendulum swings in the opposite direction again, and swinging voters get fed up with a Labour government, the 2020 election comes around and there's whole swathes of the north where the Tories are a total non-starter but Ukip has become a viable second party for disillusioned traditional Labour voters.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Seen on a billboard in West London:

May 8, 2015. The first act of the Miliband/Sturgeon reign of terror begins. Alec Salmond is given unlimited licence to stalk the lands south of the wall, plundering as he sees fit and sending all of the proceeds to his jockular lair where they will be used to fund the purchase of kilts, tam o'shanters, and bagpipes for his revolutionary army.

I find it hilarious that the Conservatives fought so hard to keep Scotland in the union despite apparently being terrified of the Scottish

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

As long as turnout remains so low - what was it last time, 55% or something? - you can't really argue that voting in a safe seat is pointless.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

tdrules posted:

Wikipedia records all the opinion polls if that helps.

What's the point in opinion polls that collate the popular vote? Like, 9% to the Greens or whatever. In a Westminster system it's mostly meaningless.

Also, with the polls that do go seat by seat - they are actually polling individual seats, right? Not just extrapolating based on a nationwide poll?

edit - Also how can they possibly justify lumping the SNP under "Others" when they're going to be the third largest party? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Well, sure, but during an election I don't think that's the most interesting metric on the table.

• Locked thread