Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Okay so if FTW came from angry bikers and biker gangs originated in San Diego as vets returned from WWII to the naval base there with bad attitudes and a lot of combat meth, where would they have learned the art of making every little thing into abbreviations from?

It's the U.S. military ladies and gents. They are the ones who say FTW

Both meanings now.

Probably true, the military loves to create new acronyms.

When a ship is decommissioned I love to play the game of how many times can you find FTN (gently caress the Navy) scrawled on the ship. Bonus points for hard to find places. I've seen long vitriol dripping letters written in Sharpie on the back of a panel that had to be unbolted to get at it.

Basically the same ingenuity you see in prisoners for making shivs and stuff you also see in sailors, in fact if I think about it they eat the same way too.

For my own revelation, my sister used to have a round rock with a little sticker on it that said "TUIT" she gave it to me and said it was "a round tuit", it wasn't until years after she moved out that the stupid thing is a pun on "around to it". Right up there with pet rocks for stupid gimmick things but I was so young when she gave it to me and I just put it away and didn't think about it, it just didn't click until years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU