Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
About once a year I think to myself, John Madden died awhile ago, right?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

purple death ray posted:

Unless it comes from the hidden valley region, it's just sparkling mayonnaise

:golfclap:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is a good post, I'm going to go back to this point in the conversation and see where it goes!

Edit: eh, it turned lovely after only three posts :(

:golfclap:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

rydiafan posted:

Five minutes ago I learned that a "labyrinth" and a "maze" are actually very different things, and also that the thing in Labyrinth was a maze.

You can't even get lost in a labyrinth.

:confused:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

pik_d posted:

I really annoying one, yeah

Don't be so hard on yourself.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

wizzardstaff posted:

It hit me today after dozens of readings that in the book Richard Scarry's Cars & Trucks From A to Z (Random House Chunky Shape Books, 1990) the line "look out for the lemon car" is not just a literal reference to an animal driving a lemon-shaped car, but is in fact a play on words.

Chunky Shape Books is also a great name for a children's book imprint.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

rydiafan posted:

So while neither of them are exactly what you are asking for, I would recommend the YouTube channel TierZoo, and the Twitter handle The Strange Log.

TierZoo is fantastic.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Polka hair is called a bob cut in English.

God I love Finland.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Stat-us quo!
Stat-us quo!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

What a cool map! Where did you find it?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
👏 does not mean rooster.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

It's supposed to be applause.

I'm sure it works better on smartphones with the text close to your eyes, but I'm an old-fashioned computer toucher who always has the font size set to small.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

christmas boots posted:

It does a little bit. The white marks indicating the noise are red on a computer and are angled in a way that I could see parsing as the crest and tail. Looking at it again on my smartphone those elements are totally different

They're white on a phone? How strange that the color would be different.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

christmas boots posted:

They're white and Top Left/Top Right instead of Bottom Left/Top Right

Wow, unicode emojis are even more useless than I thought. I don't know why I expected them to all be the same.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

Why would they all be the same?

There are a many thousands of variations of letterforms.

Exactly, that's why I don't know why I assumed they would be.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TK-42-1 posted:

lol did y’all never play sports? clapping it out is a high school coach basic technique

Sir, this is a family thread.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This was meant to be the ESCAPE key:

That's what you find weird about that image?

Am I learning something about Finnish keyboards?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Please tell me that's the keyboard you're using right now.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Dip Viscous posted:

That's a Commodore 64 keyboard, I think they used the same layout worldwide.

I figured it was too good to be true.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

christmas boots posted:

I'm doing my part to prevent this

Godspeed

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is with the two-shot vaccines if you do have a bad reaction it may be due to the vaccine interacting with antibodies you already have, so if you feel sick after the second dose it's the antibodies you've built up from the first dose, but if you feel sick after the first dose it's because you already had COVID and developed antibodies.

Feeling sick for a short time is a common side effect of many vaccines, so I'm skeptical of this idea.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Der Kyhe posted:

Prince Philip was old enough to have a birth registered in Julian calendar, which was month or two behind the actual calendar depending on the country. So his centennial should have been something else than his birthday and subject of a recount similar to the recent US elections.

So he was at least 270 years old?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Carthag Tuek posted:

he was clearly 440 years old, since the julian calendar went out of use in 1582 duh

England didn't adopt until 1752.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Carthag Tuek posted:

(also he wasnt english)

Ah, didn't realize that.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Helith posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%2B13:00

A few islands use it all the time or in winter or for daylight savings.
It’s only used in the Southern Hemisphere

On the opposite end, UTC -12 is the only time zone that nobody lives in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212:00

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It's not a gimmick, he's just Finnish

ftfy

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Oh if only. He's only getting startt

:nice:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phosphine posted:

Hope the diagnosis brings positive change for you!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

beats for junkies posted:

My favorite version of that song is Ella Fitzgerald in Berlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXAtVbZbkI She even starts by saying "I hope I can remember all the words," and of course, she doesn't.

"Oh what's the next chorus / to this song now / this is the one now / I don't know" is just part of the song for me now.

Also, she does a pretty great Louis Armstrong impression in that one.

This is great

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phy posted:

There are a couple of spots off the coast of Peru where, if you swam straight to the bottom of the sea, and then tunneled right through the core of the Earth, you'd still end up in the Pacific Ocean

That's amazing

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

credburn posted:

I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

So what? I says to her. That's not polite?

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

I can't believe I just found out your friend reads way too much into whether someone uses a period on the last sentence or not.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Or maybe you don't read enough into things.

FTFY

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
For some reason I sometimes pronounce it nitch and sometimes pronounce it neesh.

No idea why I do that, don't think there are any other words that I pronounce differently at different times.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The Maestro posted:

What about “the” or “Caribbean”

HOW DO YOU KNOW ME BETTER THAN I KNOW MYSELF???

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
edit: wrong thread

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I learned I should not read credburn's posts, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Holy poo poo that was amazing.