Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Collateral posted:

Is it just stuck on with glue? I wonder if he has variable boner control. Or maybe he has a Vibrowang™ with nerves or force feedback. Girls are not going to be down with that. That is to say, normal girls would not.

Cyborg Tywin's dong got DCMA'ed so have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb8xRBHQdXU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, Muslims get augmentations? How do I convert?!

Actually, that is a thing in Deus Ex. The Illuminati did it.

Drifter posted:

They've been assaulted for being complete and utter fuckholes, more than simply having a pair of computer glasses.

A better example would probably be Steve Mann, who wasn't actually being a prick.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Republican Vampire posted:

A better example would probably be Steve Mann, who wasn't actually being a prick.

Ah yes, that one example of one time an innocent dude got beat up because he looked different. What a better example.

Let's go back to the multiple examples of people getting beaten up because they were assholes.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I meant it would've been a better example for Karpaw to lead with, but it's also kinda relevant to the Glass thing.

Part of what makes a Glasshole so annoying is their refusal to remove Glass even though it's literally just a pair of frames. You can just take it off or choose not to wear it if it makes people uncomfortable or if you're in a space that bans it. What makes Mann's case different is that he couldn't easily remove his gear and had medical documentation about it. Still got a bad reaction because people resent having cameras pointed at them without their consent, regardless of whether or not the person doing it is innocuous or has a doctor's note. But a cyborg eye would just be a camera, pointed at you, that can't be removed period.

I just think that people discriminating against augs is pretty believable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Collateral posted:

Is it just stuck on with glue? I wonder if he has variable boner control. Or maybe he has a Vibrowang™ with nerves or force feedback. Girls are not going to be down with that. That is to say, normal girls would not.

"...but yes, it vibrates."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
People hate each other over just having different shades of skin they sure as hell would fear people with stuff like robotic limbs and cyber eyes who would most likely be physically superior to a normal person.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Drifter posted:

He only needed an arm. And as far as superpowers go, ask a leg amputee how they like not having to worry about stubbing their toes anymore and if that offsets the cost of losing their leg. Trauma's still trauma. It's a pretty big mental drain. He got hit with a pretty big mega-whammy with the assault trauma, his girlfriend being stolen, and his recovery.

I'd have paid for a recovery DLC that chronicled this poo poo, straight up. About the length of Missing Link, but between the game's start and the actual "start" so to speak, when you return to work.

It'd probably end up all ham-fisted and corny though :(

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

Ah yes, that one example of one time an innocent dude got beat up because he looked different. What a better example.

Let's go back to the multiple examples of people getting beaten up because they were assholes.

I've read stories about people in San Francisco getting mugged and assaulted for wearing Google Glass. People would shout "glasshole," grab their Glass, toss it on the ground, stomp on it, and run away.

I think it's rather interesting that you keep referring to these "multiple examples" of early cyborgs and tech wearers getting beaten up and assaulted deservedly, but can't post anything about it. Frankly I think your prejudice toward transhumans is already clear.

I really want "die cishuman scum" to be scrawled on a wall somewhere in DX:MD

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Accordion Man posted:

People hate each other over just having different shades of skin they sure as hell would fear people with stuff like robotic limbs and cyber eyes who would most likely be physically superior to a normal person.

Is it weird that that makes me wish and hope for a future where I have robotic arms, so that I am one of those oppressed people? Because seriously, robotic arms motherfuckers.

Also, I just saw the trailer for DE:MD today, and goddammit am I excited.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've read stories about people in San Francisco getting mugged and assaulted for wearing Google Glass. People would shout "glasshole," grab their Glass, toss it on the ground, stomp on it, and run away.

I think it's rather interesting that you keep referring to these "multiple examples" of early cyborgs and tech wearers getting beaten up and assaulted deservedly, but can't post anything about it. Frankly I think your prejudice toward transhumans is already clear.

I really want "die cishuman scum" to be scrawled on a wall somewhere in DX:MD

I 'can't' post anything about it because I don't care to. You want someone to do your homework for you this isn't the place.

I certainly hope they don't waste breath by bringing sexual orientation into the game, what's wrong with you? Jesus Christ.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Drifter posted:

I 'can't' post anything about it because I don't care to. You want someone to do your homework for you this isn't the place.

I certainly hope they don't waste breath by bringing sexual orientation into the game, what's wrong with you? Jesus Christ.

You're an idiot.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If Sarif hadn't hacked off Jensen's arms and legs, everyone would have died during the initial assault on the company offices. The man was a visionary.

Sarif did nothing wrong.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

If you're going to make a point about how Google Glass wearers are assholes by default, you're going to need evidence to back that up. You mention multiple examples but you refuse to post any. It's bizarre; you care just enough to state an opinion, but not enough to attempt to convince others or even defend it.

Also I was referring to a radical statement regarding sexual identity, I stated absolutely nothing about sexual orientation.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jfood posted:

If Sarif hadn't hacked off Jensen's arms and legs, everyone would have died during the initial assault on the company offices. The man was a visionary.

Sarif did nothing wrong.

No one attacked the Sarif building after Jensen got augged though, except maybe rioters. Even they didn't go in the doors.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If we can augment a person's opinions through speech-enhancing pheromones and laser beams, we can undoubtedly augment their sexual preferences.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If we can augment a person's opinions through speech-enhancing pheromones and laser beams, we can undoubtedly augment their sexual preferences.

Don't tell me you're going to wear that dreth on a night operathion.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Well, that's more of a class thing. What separates Glassholes from Augs is that Glassholes (Or to use the preferred nomenclature, Explorers) were largely Bay Area tech types, many of whom are also obnoxious manbabbys who didn't get why pointing a camera at someone's face might make them uncomfortable. It became emblematic of a larger set of social and economic problems that are all tied up in gentrification, entitlement, and what the fallout of the latest tech boom.

It's not really comparable to Augmentation for a bunch of reasons, the main one being that Augmentations aren't a massive tech company's failed attempt to crowbar itself into the high-end lifestyle electronics market.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Well, that's more of a class thing. What separates Glassholes from Augs is that Glassholes (Or to use the preferred nomenclature, Explorers) were largely Bay Area tech types, many of whom are also obnoxious manbabbys who didn't get why pointing a camera at someone's face might make them uncomfortable. It became emblematic of a larger set of social and economic problems that are all tied up in gentrification, entitlement, and what the fallout of the latest tech boom.

It's not really comparable to Augmentation for a bunch of reasons, the main one being that Augmentations aren't a massive tech company's failed attempt to crowbar itself into the high-end lifestyle electronics market.

Aug/Natch is definitely a subset of the class issue. I agree that explorers don't really compare to augs, but then again we really don't have any good comparisons in real life to augs.

As for high-end lifestyle, isn't that going to be one of the main consumer bases for it? In Deus Ex, LIMB subsidizes the cost of augmentations for people who can't normally afford them through pricing plans and loans, but in reality no such organization is going to exist. Why would it? Who benefits? Certainly not anybody with any power (outside of some crazy illuminati scheme). Health insurance won't subsidize augs for the same reason they don't subsidize plastic surgery. The only people getting subsidized augs would be victims of horrific accidents, and even then they'd most likely would get basic versions of the augmentations. Only the rich will be able to afford buying and maintaining augmentations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Poor Gunther, never got his skullgun.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Poor Gunther, never got his skullgun.

In IW when you raid the old abandoned UNATCO facility, you find a box with Gunther's skullgun in it, ready for him for when he returns from France.

Also you find a note from a maintenance man about a funny trick he's playing where he swaps the orange and lemon-lime sodas in the break room vending machine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

In IW when you raid the old abandoned UNATCO facility, you find a box with Gunther's skullgun in it, ready for him for when he returns from France.

Also you find a note from a maintenance man about a funny trick he's playing where he swaps the orange and lemon-lime sodas in the break room vending machine.

Hahaha. Was IW any good? Worth a playthrough?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Oh, I don't know how I'm going to wait for this... but I'll find a way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drifter posted:

It's a fun game. Nothing ground breaking, but plot wise it has a lot of cool ideas.

Also you can beat a giant mech to death with an EMP charged Stun Baton.

Edit: And eat corpses with your feet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The conspiracy is real! :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

Edit: And eat corpses with your feet.

Erm...?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Basically you can get a leg slot nano-aug whereby you disperse a cloud of nanites to devour dead bodies as you walk by and use the biomass to heal you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

Basically you can get a leg slot nano-aug whereby you disperse a cloud of nanites to devour dead bodies as you walk by and use the biomass to heal you.

Well poo poo. There you go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

As for high-end lifestyle, isn't that going to be one of the main consumer bases for it? In Deus Ex, LIMB subsidizes the cost of augmentations for people who can't normally afford them through pricing plans and loans, but in reality no such organization is going to exist. Why would it? Who benefits? Certainly not anybody with any power (outside of some crazy illuminati scheme). Health insurance won't subsidize augs for the same reason they don't subsidize plastic surgery. The only people getting subsidized augs would be victims of horrific accidents, and even then they'd most likely would get basic versions of the augmentations. Only the rich will be able to afford buying and maintaining augmentations.
I'd expect it to be like mobile phones. Right now only rich douchebags use Google Glass, but eventually some sort of evolution of the concept will become cheap and practical enough for normal people to want it, and companies will find a way to make it cheap enough for people to buy it, because that's how they make money. Deus Ex style augs are obviously a step beyond that, but it doesn't seem too far-fetched to imagine that they'd follow the same pattern.

Drifter posted:

Maybe. A lot of people really hate it, and it certainly has its problems, but I enjoyed it enough to finish it twice. That said, Human Revolution is pretty much better in every way, just a straight improvement over IW, so if you've already played HR then IW is probably going to look pretty bad by comparison. That's to be expected though given that there was over seven years between the two games.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'd expect it to be like mobile phones. Right now only rich douchebags use Google Glass, but eventually some sort of evolution of the concept will become cheap and practical enough for normal people to want it, and companies will find a way to make it cheap enough for people to buy it, because that's how they make money. Deus Ex style augs are obviously a step beyond that, but it doesn't seem too far-fetched to imagine that they'd follow the same pattern.

Perhaps one day augmentations will be that cheap, but I don't think the amount of time it takes for augmentations to go from "prohibitively expensive" to "ubiquitous" will be anywhere near smartphones or AR glasses. The iPhone was released in 2007 and 5 years later smartphones were so commonplace that only pay-as-you-go plans used dumbphones. I don't think that augmentations will be that cheap in five years after initial release, nor ten years, nor even twenty.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I can understand people's problems with Google Glass, but the first augs in the real world will be improved artificial limbs and stuff like that - things that don't affect other people's privacy. I don't see much resistance to these things.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Aug/Natch is definitely a subset of the class issue. I agree that explorers don't really compare to augs, but then again we really don't have any good comparisons in real life to augs.

Actually while LIMB does subsidize Augs, that's largely framed as a loss leader for their other services. it's just that Jensen's biology means that he doesn't need neuropozyne or support services and that most people will. Also HR continually highlights the role of employers in subsidizing Augs. Capital is lending labor the money to be tailored to Capital's needs and it isn't above using that for what amounts to tacit slavery.

LIMB exists to benefit employers who want a tax dodge on their augmented workers. That's not even getting into how Augs do benefit the Illuminati. As I mentioned earlier, illuminati control of the Middle East is all bound up in their use of augmented soldiers to conquer Israel, and in HR the illuminati rely on their control over LIMB to install the doctored Biochip.

I dunno. I have more to say probably but it's late and my head is full of Pillars of Eternity instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I dunno. I have more to say probably but it's late and my head is full of Pillars of Eternity instead.

A Shadowrun version of Pillars would be amazing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Actually while LIMB does subsidize Augs, that's largely framed as a loss leader for their other services. it's just that Jensen's biology means that he doesn't need neuropozyne or support services and that most people will. Also HR continually highlights the role of employers in subsidizing Augs. Capital is lending labor the money to be tailored to Capital's needs and it isn't above using that for what amounts to tacit slavery.

LIMB exists to benefit employers who want a tax dodge on their augmented workers. That's not even getting into how Augs do benefit the Illuminati. As I mentioned earlier, illuminati control of the Middle East is all bound up in their use of augmented soldiers to conquer Israel, and in HR the illuminati rely on their control over LIMB to install the doctored Biochip.

Well, yeah, that's all true. I'm more talking about reality instead of DX.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Drifter posted:

A Shadowrun version of Pillars would be amazing.

I dunno. A lot of what makes Pillars cool is the strange way it comes at the Renaissance and the Enlightenment through a fantasy lens. While I'd love to see Sawyer, Avellone and Fenstermaker gently caress around with Cyberpunk, I dunno if there's as much ground to be gotten from dicking around with it.

Especially since Cyberpunk is so immediately dated.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I dunno. A lot of what makes Pillars cool is the strange way it comes at the Renaissance and the Enlightenment through a fantasy lens. While I'd love to see Sawyer, Avellone and Fenstermaker gently caress around with Cyberpunk, I dunno if there's as much ground to be gotten from dicking around with it.

Especially since Cyberpunk is so immediately dated.

Combat-wise.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Drifter posted:

Combat-wise.

Ah. Yeah. I can absolutely see that and would pay good money for it.

Well, yeah, that's all true. I'm more talking about reality instead of DX.

I dunno if talks about reality are worth having. Maybe in ten years the Olympics and Paralympics will get in a proper row about athletes with fancy legs and maybe another ten years after that, depending on how it turns out, someone might seriously think about amputation for performance in a public forum.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

...and maybe another ten years after that, depending on how it turns out, someone might seriously think about amputation for performance in a public forum.

once my posts get augmented I will finally rise above white noise

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

I can understand people's problems with Google Glass, but the first augs in the real world will be improved artificial limbs and stuff like that - things that don't affect other people's privacy.

You mean other than the actual blind guy with a camera surgically attached to his head so he can see, who was already mentioned in this thread? Or does that not count for some reason?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tiggum posted:

You mean other than the actual blind guy with a camera surgically attached to his head so he can see, who was already mentioned in this thread? Or does that not count for some reason?

You mean Steve Mann? He's not blind, and I don't think any of his equipment is surgically attached.

edit: Also, that McDonalds episode is most likely exaggerated - the "assaulters" are almost comically evil, "tearing up" his medical documents etc. The official response from McDonalds paints a different picture.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

You mean Steve Mann? He's not blind, and I don't think any of his equipment is surgically attached.

I guess I either read an inaccurate article about it or misremembered it. It does seem like "augs" for all sorts of disabilities are going to become incrasingly common though, beyond just artificial limbs.

• Locked thread