Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snappy Zings posted:

"Hey.....hey.....I'm here to know who raped muh wife!"

Vince's little "shh shh shh shhhhh" made me laugh so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Final thoughts: you can have an ending which answers all the questions & ties up all plot threads, but still leave you vaguely unsatisfied. I'm glad Velcoro's son seems to have made his peace with his dad. Feels like the whole thing would hang together better without Woodrugh and the Mexicans, neither of whom did much besides muddle the plot.

So what happened to the sister from that old robbery? She was completely missing from the finale.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harley C posted:

On the second last episode, predicting the drunk cop gets murdered then is found with the recorder running which results in the people getting arrested. :)

That might have been satisfying...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this was bad and its strange watching people try to pretend its not. nick pizzolatto needed way longer to write it and should have let the one good director hired direct the whole thing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rangpur posted:

Final thoughts: you can have an ending which answers all the questions & ties up all plot threads, but still leave you vaguely unsatisfied. I'm glad Velcoro's son seems to have made his peace with his dad. Feels like the whole thing would hang together better without Woodrugh and the Mexicans, neither of whom did much besides muddle the plot.

So what happened to the sister from that old robbery? She was completely missing from the finale.

She left town? Ani put her on the bus, the corrupt cops might be looking for her.

Jose posted:

this was really good and its strange watching people try to pretend its not. nick pizzolatto is a decent pulp writer and I'm looking forward for s. 3

fixed

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

drat you general public and also television critics and also basically everyone on the internet except for a few pathetic apologists for trying to pretend that this awesome season wasn't really good!!! :bahgawd:

:laugh:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:rip: stan the man

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

monkeu posted:

drat you general public and also television critics and also basically everyone on the internet except for a few pathetic apologists for trying to pretend that this awesome season wasn't really good!!! :bahgawd:

If I was gonna brand any one side with weirdo apologist type behavior it'd be the one that obsessively insists anyone who expresses even a mild affinity for a writer's work is for some reason lying about the objective truth as established by the rigorous standards of internet critposting.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol TVIV cannot abide :mediocre:, it has to be amazing or terrible

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You are a complete loving idiot if you enjoy anything with a Metacritic score lower than 80. 60 is super trash television and you should poke your own eyes out if you like something with 60. Even 70 deserves mocking. 60 is just pure poo poo. Piss gently caress. Dick oval office.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
This thread was entertaining as hell until the white knights invaded. Remember that dude who thought gay cop just had ptsd? Good times.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

This thread was entertaining as hell until the white knights invaded. Remember that dude who thought gay cop just had ptsd? Good times.

Pizzolini's writing is so convoluted, we're still not sure if he was gay or not.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just want to know how he got the scars. Some type of explosion/shrapnel or a cat attack I suppose?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I just want to know how he got the scars. Some type of explosion/shrapnel or a cat attack I suppose?

Gay sex. Obviously.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

monkeu posted:

Judging media purely on group consensus is kinda dumb though, watch what you enjoy and form your own opinions. For example, I thought this season was garbage.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

IED in an Iraqi mountain village while they were hunting Mullah Omar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Professor Shark posted:

lol TVIV cannot abide :mediocre:, it has to be amazing or terrible

seriously. i've seen worse tv but this was loving boring for almost the entire season and that is not something you'd ever say about season 1. the direction was also substantially worse and i still lol that they hired a fairly well known action director then didn't have him direct any of the episodes with action in

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

lol TVIV the internet cannot abide :mediocre:, it has to be amazing or terrible

fixed. And lol for anyone who cares what a "tomatemeter score" says about anything. True Detective isn't about numbers, maaaan, it's about pulpy anti-heroes being dark and sexy and cheesy and violent.

It's like blood, in moonlight

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Black Bones posted:

fixed. And lol for anyone who cares what a "tomatemeter score" says about anything. True Detective isn't about numbers, maaaan, it's about pulpy anti-heroes being dark and sexy and cheesy and violent.

From half anacondas and half great whites?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Black Bones posted:

And piles of cocaine & heavy boozing in daylight

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
People aren't mad at this tv show for being mediocre. Killjoys is a thoroughly mediocre TV show but everyone in that thread is just peachy. People are mad and still talking about this show because it was a disappointment. (And only part of that can be blamed on the high bar set by season one.)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

rip Kid Gambit

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

MasterControl posted:

From half anacondas and half great whites?

Exactly. Nails was a great little character

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Black Bones posted:

Exactly. Nails was a great little character

I thought it was funny how they kind of mumbled past his origin story and why he's so damned loyal as a footnote in the last episode

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Jose posted:

this was bad and its strange watching people try to pretend its not. nick pizzolatto needed way longer to write it and should have let the one good director hired direct the whole thing

The HBO president admitted it in a recent interview (that it was a rush job):

http://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2016/01/04/45792/hbo-s-michael-lombardo-supports-equal-opportunity/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been binging on Season 1 the last few days and have been reminded how good this show is/was

Season 2 starts this afternoon!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I've been binging on Season 1 the last few days and have been reminded how good this show is/was

Somebody stop this man!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Professor Shark posted:

RIP

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Somebody stop this man!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just remember when watching season 2 that it is a version 1 rough outline of a great show that was eventually going to be made once they ironed out the details for six months and filled in the gaps and did things like give Stan a backstory.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

God dammit you assholes I've already watched Season 2, I have posts from months ago on this very page, this is a rewatch!

I already know how awesome Stan is (I loved him)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We all loved him. Or at least, almost all of us.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kiimo posted:

Just remember when watching season 2 that it is a version 1 rough outline of a great show that was eventually going to be made once they ironed out the details for six months and filled in the gaps and did things like give Stan a backstory.

Truth imho. It still may not have ended up as good or interesting due to being such a familiar setting and sort of story in entertainment, but I feel like Pizzaman even had half as much time to prep as he did for S1 it would have been much improved. That and a single director.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

e: stupid app

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I think if they removed Vince Vaughn it would go up from a c- to a c+ just like that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I liked Vince Vaughn.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kiimo posted:

I liked Vince Vaughn.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked him too, tbh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will this thing shamble into a season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

kiimo posted:

I liked Vince Vaughn.

He was a highlight of the season for me. I liked the whole dying in the desert scene.

Conway Twitty was my favorite of the season...him and crow mask dude before he took the mask off.

• Locked thread