Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Things I learned from that teaser: all of the characters have faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Isn't this season explicitly NOT in LA?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's not in LA. They have said a hundred times that it is not in LA.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like the idea of Rust basing his worldview on Alan Moore comics.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

shut up netface posted:

Much like season 1, the first episode sets the stage, and will most likely explode within the next coming episodes. Unfortunately, we won't have another Rust Cohle, we will have a series of lovely cops with emotional baggage, and David Morse as a Yogi cultist(?) and lousy father

Was that David Morse? I can't find him in the credits.

Also Rick Springfield was in this episode :shepface:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would give this episode probably a generous B like another poster said. "So you like bullying kids, rear end?! Pen?!" is the dumbest thing I've heard on TV all year though, and I've watched two CSI Cyber episodes. I think naming a bully Aspen was Pizzolato's idea of comic relief, since Season 1 never had any.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Not at all. That's a big spoiler just throw loosely to the wind. What the eff.

idk a screen shot of that was running with every review of the finale that got posted. I haven't watched past early season 2 but I saw that picture a dozen times a few weeks ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snak posted:

Presumably people avoiding Mad Men spoilers would know to avoid reviews of the finale, but might not know to avoid the True Detective thread...

I didn't read a single thing about the finale. It was posted by every entertainment outlet I follow either on Facebook or on the front page.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If I've learned anything from this thread it's that most of you scrubs have never watched Friday Night Lights.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

niethan posted:

Going by how busted taylor kitsch looks in this friday night lights must have aired in the nineties.

If it had then he might actually have been the right age to play a high schooler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Timett posted:

The frustrating thing for me about Tim Riggins and other FNL characters is that they never really pined down how old they were even supposed to be. It was like "we want to keep doing Riggins storylines so let's pretend he was a freshman in the first season even though that barely makes any sense"

True Detective thread!

FNL owns but it also must have set a record for plotholes in a <100-episode series.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PrincessKate posted:

Powerfully "meh" is a great way to describe season 2. I just watched the first episode

This reads like a parody post.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How dumb do you have to be to think the show killed off its lead character in episode 2?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zombie Raptor posted:

Regardless of how anyone feels about any aspect of AV Club and their reviews, etc., whatever, this small excerpt from their s2e2 review conveys how I feel about the show almost perfectly, and better than I could:
There were a couple of gems in that review:

quote:

Meeting up with his ex-wife, Ray’s mustache might as well have a built-in vocal filter that turns all of his lines into Frank Sabotka’s “We used to build poo poo in this country” speech.

quote:

This could be metaphorical—the mayor going straight to the source of drunkenness, just like he dips his hands in the county coffers—but I choose to read it as True Detective awakening to its own absurdity. Because True Detective’s California is an absurd place: It’s a comically snockered city official, a therapist wearing sunglasses indoors, a bar with a live-in singer-songwriter-witch, the middle fingers of kids playing in a dry reservoir, or a pimp with the words “gently caress You” engraved into his Cheshire Cat grin.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

I'm surprised people are just noticing this now. This has been a thing for "Prestige" dramas since forever (although I guess it was more of a movie thing since I can't think of TV examples off of the top of my head right now).

Hannibal is the worst offender, made worse by Mads' Danish accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

It's really hard getting a show together and having everything work. The alchemy and chemistry, if you will, of the personalities involved is kind of unpredictable. Then you drop everyone from the show and recast the whole thing and expect it to work again. I would suggest this is something like a band getting together, let's say the Sex Pistols. Then they break up and Johnny Rotten forms Public Image Limited.

Season 2 is Public Image Limited.

A large chunk of people will tell you season 2 is far superior when it's actually boring?

• Locked thread