Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

Apparently the occult stuff is out, which sucks because I was one of the ones that really liked the Lovecraft atmosphere and hints from the first season.

Considering that just about every aspect of the first season's supernatural stuff has been met with allegations of plagiarism I'm not surprised that he's unwilling (or unable) to return to that well again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Vanderdeath posted:

What's funny to me is that whenever I saw an allegation of plagiarism with True Detective, it was about the "Lovecraftian" overtones in the show. Except that they weren't Lovecraftian, they were based directly upon The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers and boy-loving-howdy did Lovecraft (and then August Derleth) take from that well liberally.

Literally nobody did this. People accused him of lifting entire swaths of text and dialogue wholesale for Rust's monlogues; Rust's final speech about light beating darkness being almost word-for-word from an Alan Moore comic was probably the biggest but everybody from Burroughs to Sarte was used almost unchanged.

The way that the show fell apart in the final episodes when he had no idea how to actually handle all the existential material he had copied without understanding and gave Rust a last-minute redemption and sunny outlook on life doesn't do much to dispel the idea.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Periodiko posted:

None of them, he uses a bunch of Ligotti or Ligotti-esque turns of phrase.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill." - Rust Cohle

"Death needs time for what it kills to grow in" - William S. Burroughs, Ah Pook is Here

Nic Pizzolatto posted:

RUST: It's just one story, the oldest.

MARTY: What's that?

RUST: Light versus dark.

MARTY: I know we ain't in Alaska, but it appears to me that the dark has a lot more territory.

RUST: Y'know, you're looking at it wrong, the sky thing.

MARTY: How's that?

RUST: Once, there was only dark. You ask me, the light's winning.

Alan Moore posted:

KAPELA: Just look above you. Do you see? That is called the immense board of lights. And there is the Great Black and, strewn across it, small and surrounded and vulnerable and brave, there is the Great White.

COMMUTER: Oh. Oh, yeah. Of course. Hah. You know, that's perfect. That's really perfect. And the Great White... I mean, there's so much more black. A-are we losing?

KAPELA: No. Once there was only black. We are winning.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Death of the author and all but Nicky Pizza gets super defensive whenever people criticize Rust which makes rationalizing his theft as totally cool self-aware character building that much weaker.

• Locked thread