Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm pretty sure the first movie I saw in a theater was The Rescuers Down Under back in 1990. First I recall watching was Dumbo, off a VHS recorded from The Disney channel back in 1987 when I was three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Malloreon posted:

holy poo poo this was my first movie in theaters. My father tells me I was traumatized when I saw Blue Big Bird.

When you think about the plot it's pretty funny. You grow up watching a friendly big bird on TV and then you go to the theaters and he's abducted by swindlers and locked in a cage.

ruddiger posted:

My first experience that I have memories of is Bambie when I was real young. I was born in 1980 so it probably was around 85. It was at a local art house theater in Chicago called the Brighton Theater which was sadly torn down back in the 90s.

My family are all movie nuts tho so I was able to see some cool movies opening night back in the day (Nightmare on Elm st. 3 in 87...

:lol: NoES at age 7 had to be strange. Although I remember someone telling me they saw Alien in the theater at age 4 or 5.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Earliest memory I have of a cinema was The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1996. I would have been three years old at the time, and for some reason I remember needing to use the toilet somewhere towards the beginning of the film I think. Don't particularly remember anything else about the film though. Probably wasn't paying attention. I imagine I would've been terrified by Hellfire if I was.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
first movie was some cartoon i cant remember. first movie with real people in it was Casper http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112642/

also i really remember watching the star wars rerelease and having to leave the theater after a while because darth vader was too loving scary for me to handle even though i had watched terminator 2 on vhs at a friends house when i was like 6 . I was 10 years old but i was probably the biggest pussy in the world as a kid

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 11, 2015

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Mine was The Lion King when I was about three or so, and I'm pretty sure I remember it. Apparently I got mad that people were laughing at the funny parts and making it hard for me to hear, so I yelled at them to be quiet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think I saw an R-rated film in a theater until The Passion of the Christ, now that I think about it. Although, I was able to watch The Blues Brothers and Blazing Saddles when I was as young as 6-7 years old because my mother didn't have a problem with profanity.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My first movie experience was going to see a re-release of Fantasia at a theater off Harry Hines in Dallas (which still stands, but has been closed since the '80s because it only had one screen, so no one knows what to do with it). My experience was pretty predictable: utterly enthralled by everything until "Night On Bald Mountain", which I spent hiding behind a theater seat or covering my eyes until the dawn at the end. I think I was three or so at the time.

I think the first live-action movie had to be The Black Hole, which was paired with Sleeping Beauty at the time of it's release.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I couldn't even tell you what movie I saw for the first time in theatres unless I talked to my parents. I remember seeing Aladdin at 7 and Jurassic Park at 8 (both at their years of release: Jurassic Park was Christmas Eve 1993 I know for sure) and that's as far back as I can recall right now.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
My uncle took me to see Lion King with an old girlfriend of his way back when I was 3. The THX opening and The Circle Of Life were the loudest things I had ever heard up to that point and terrified me, and I cried enough that his old girlfriend had to take me out to the lobby and play a video game with me. Don't remember much else.

I wasn't trusted to see another movie until I was 4 and a half, when my parents took me to Toy Story. The loud noises again gave me a panic attack, but I managed to overcome it. I've been told I was completely enraptured for the entire movie, which was good enough behavior to make movies a regular occurrence for us. Muppet Treasure Island, the Oliver and Company rerelease, Flipper, Hunchback, etc.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The first film I saw in a cinema was Disney's Snow White. I'd have probably been about 5 or 6 or something, so had no idea how old it was. Soon after, I read a book about how to draw cartoons where the author described his experience of seeing Snow White as a kid, and I got really confused. I think I concluded that he was from the future or something. I was a dumb child.

My brother's first film was Blinky Bill, but he doesn't remember it as he spent the entire time hiding under his seat. Koalas are scary.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Bunch of children in here.

Return of the Jedi :smug:

Empire Strikes Back or E.T.

I'm not sure which I saw first in the theater..my memory is a bit hazy but both were a couple weeks after initial release. E.T. was terrifying though.

My best theater memory has to be seeing Predator in the theater. I didn't have the slightest idea what it was going to be about and was blown away.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I have to call my folks and ask because I know I must have been to the theaters before these, but the 2 earliest experiences I can actually remember were seeing Beauty & The Beast at the drive-in on a double-bill with Dick Tracy (which I slept through), and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret Of The Ooze.

I remember we brought homemade oatmeal cookies in a brown paper bag to Beauty & The Beast. But my memories of the movie itself are hardly there. My strongest memories of that film are from watching it later on home video.

I'm fairly certain I saw The Rescuers Down Under in theaters, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Jurassic Park was the first movie I remember seeing in the cinema. Being a little kid, it made me crazy about dinosaurs for a while.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The first one I remember going to was Out of Africa. It was during a family vacation, and my parents took us to a drive in. My siblings and I all fell asleep. Years later, I found out that that was the intent of my parents - they wanted something that would make us go to sleep.

First movie I remember staying awake through was a Snow White rerelease in the mid 80s.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There must have been others, but the earliest one I remember is Jurassic Park, age 9. My parents made me read the book before I could see the movie.

The strange thing is I can't really remember any particular emotions or anything. Like I know what I probably felt, or what I'd have expected to feel, and I definitely remember sitting in the theatre and watching the movie (the T-rex attacking the cars stands out in my mind) but I don't actually have a memory of particular emotions like I do with some other movies I've seen in theatres.

I'm sitting here searching my brain for a movie I saw in the theatres earlier than Jurassic Park. I know there must have been some, but I cannot think of what they might have been other than maybe a Disney movie or something. I'll ask my parents and see if they remember the first movie they took me to see in the theatres.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzsKJvWiEI

There you go. Definitely the first cinema experience I can remember.

Informer
Jun 8, 2011
The first one I can remember in clarity? Jurassic Park. I was at a theatre that served PIZZA and SODA and holy poo poo this is so awesome they bring it to you while you are watching the movie and there is a t-rex, better hide under the table!

The first one that I know for sure? ... The Jetsons Movie.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Arnold. It made me afraid of our shower stall and gave me nightmares. :ohdear:

"Riotous suspense comedy" my traumatized butt.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't think I saw an R-rated film in a theater until The Passion of the Christ, now that I think about it. Although, I was able to watch The Blues Brothers and Blazing Saddles when I was as young as 6-7 years old because my mother didn't have a problem with profanity.

First PG movie: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
First PG-13 movie: Mission: Impossible
First R rated movie: Black Hawk Down
First NC-17 movie: TBD

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The first one I remember going to was Out of Africa. It was during a family vacation, and my parents took us to a drive in. My siblings and I all fell asleep. Years later, I found out that that was the intent of my parents - they wanted something that would make us go to sleep.

That might've killed my interest in movies forevermore.

Modus Operandi posted:

My best theater memory has to be seeing Predator in the theater. I didn't have the slightest idea what it was going to be about and was blown away.

My best memory was seeing Home Alone.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Bunch of children in here.

Return of the Jedi :smug:

Buncha children in here.

Double feature of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. (1974) at the drive-in.

Wink.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

GORDON posted:

Buncha children in here.

Double feature of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. (1974) at the drive-in.

Wink.
Fist bump from another veteran of the early '70s. We saw Arnold at the drive-in too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What are all these baby boomers doing with forums accounts.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

What are all these baby boomers doing with forums accounts.
Them's fightin' words. I'm a Gen Xer. Hear me slack.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The first movie I remember seeing in theaters was Aladdin. I freaked out and had to leave for a couple minutes when they attempted to arrest Jafar and he throws the smoke bomb, not sure what about that set me off when nothing else in the movie did, I don't know I was 4. That theater later became the discount theater after the previous cheap theater was refurbished. Then they closed it down in 2004 or 2005 when another theater replaced it. They knocked down half of it, but then left the rest standing there as an ugly loving eyesore until finally finishing the job last year.

My parents were always big on obeying the rating system for the most part, although by the time I was 12 or 13 they were fine with me watching rated R movies without supervision. Then they went and let my brother watch Black Hawk Down when he was 7. Assholes.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 14, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My parents took me to see Ghostbusters 2 when I turned three, but the first movie I remember seeing in a theater was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze.

I left my shoes in the theater after Ninja Turtles, so we had to go back and get them. Exciting anecdote!

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
First was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1990. I was 6.

If I think hard enough, i can remember every movie I've seen in theaters:

In rough chronological order:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 1990
Shipwrecked (some Danish movie about a kid that gets shipwrecked on an island) - 1991
The NeverEnding Story 2: The Next Chapter - 1991
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze - 1991
101 Dalmations theatrical re-release for the 30th anniversary - 1991
The Addams Family - 1991
A League of Their Own - 1992
3 Ninjas - 1992
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York - 1992
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 - 1993
Jurassic Park - 1993
Born to Be Wild (some forgettable comedy about a guy that has to take a gorilla across the country) - 1995
Batman Forever - 1995
Congo - 1995
Mortal Kombat - 1995
Ace Venture: When Nature Calls - 1995
Jumanji - 1995
Toy Story - 1995
Twister - 1996
Independence Day - 1996
Space Jam - 1996
Beavis & Butt-Head Do America - 1996
Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope special edition theatrical release - 1997
Liar Liar - 1997
Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World - 1997
Men in Black - 1997
Spawn - 1997
Mortal Kombat Annihilation - 1997
Sphere - 1998
Lost in Space - 1998
The Truman Show - 1998
Godzilla - 1998
BASEketball - 1998
The Waterboy - 1998
Enemy of the State - 1998
The Matrix - 1999
The Mummy - 1999
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - 1999
The Blair Witch Project - 1999
End of Days - 1999
Mission to Mars - 2000
Scary Movie - 2000
The 6th Day - 2000
Little Nicky - 2000
How the Grinch Stole Christmas - 2000
Jurassic Park 3 - 2001
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - 2001
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 2001
The Time Machine - 2002
Spider-Man - 2002
Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones - 2002
Murder by Numbers - 2002
Panic Room - 2002
Men in Black 2 - 2002
Mr. Deeds - 2002
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 2002
X-Men 2 - 2003
The Matrix Reloaded - 2003
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - 2003
The Matrix Revolutions - 2003
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 2003
Spider-Man 2 - 2004
I, Robot - 2004
Meet the Fockers - 2004
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 2005
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - 2005
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 2005
King Kong - 2005
The Fountain - 2006
Spider-Man 3 - 2007
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 2007
Transformers - 2007
The Simpsons Movie - 2007
Beowulf - 2007
I Am Legend - 2007
Iron Man - 2008
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008
Avatar - 2010 (I waited a while to see it, so this was in January 2010 or so)
The Avengers - 2012
Prometheus - 2012
The Amazing Spider-Man - 2012
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 2012
The Dark Knight Rises - 2012
The Master - 2012
Looper - 2012
Cloud Atlas - 2012
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 2012
Django Unchained - 2012
Iron Man 3 - 2013
Man of Steel - 2013
This Is The End - 2013
Pacific Rim - 2013
The World's End - 2013
Thor: The Dark World - 2013
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 2014
Godzilla - 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - 2014
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies - 2014

That's it. I haven't been out to the theater in 2015 yet. Hoping to remedy that soon in a couple of weeks when Age of Ultron comes out! XD

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My parents took me to see Ghostbusters 2 when I turned three, but the first movie I remember seeing in a theater was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze.
I was older when I saw Ghostbusters 2 and this scene scared the poo poo out of me. Still find it kind of off-putting.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It was Men in Black. I saw Will Smith.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Blue Star posted:

If I think hard enough, i can remember every movie I've seen in theaters:

I think I could do that too but it'd take hours and hours.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Picklepuss posted:

Fist bump from another veteran of the early '70s. We saw Arnold at the drive-in too.

Granted, those were the two flicks I remember...

I was told I was conceived at that same drive-in during the movie Easy Rider.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remember that MST3K episode "Santa Claus", where Santa battles the devil?

Saw that in a cinema. Pretty sure it was one of those children matinee things, and I was really young, but I still remember that film vividly.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Star Trek VI. I remember this only because the assassins murdering all the klingons in zero gravity freaked the hell out of me.

The first movie I remember actually going to is either Cliffhanger or Jurassic Park, but it's hard to say since they probably showed these within a couple of months of each. I saw all these in the same seedy last run theater that sold tickets and popcorn and that was it, they would show these sickly looking advertisements for local restaurants before the movie, and in order to leave you had to exit the theater into a poorly lit alley and hope you didn't get stabbed. Years later when I saw Grindhouse in theaters I started laughing like a loon when the movie started up and the very first thing you saw was an absolutely terrible photo of a plate of nachos.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
You youngins.

I was a big fan of the Disney animated Robin Hood (1973) - but I don't have any memories of seeing it as a little kid (I would have been 4) so I can't really count it.

What I do remember is two films from 1974: Benji and Herby Rides Again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The first one I can remember was Jurassic Park, I was born in early 88 so that would have made me almost 6 at the time? Me, my dad, and my older sister went but we couldn't find seats so we had to sit against the back wall. It still owned.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I've been trying to place what would have been my first movie. I asked my mom, but she probably didn't remember what she took me to an hour after we left the cinema.

The earliest clear recollection of seeing a movie in a theater and remembering it's content, oddly enough, was theater hopping into the Woody Allen segment of New York Stories. I know my mom took me to something else first and we left to catch that segment because she didn't care about the other parts of the anthology, but I cannot remember the first film. Looking at Box Office Mojo for that time in the theaters, the only thing it seems like it could be is The Rescuers, but I have no memory of having ever seen it.

I can't remember if I saw them on video or in theaters, but I did see Who Framed Roger Rabbit, An American Tail and The Super Mario Motion Picture early.

My mom said she thinks she took me to The Transformers movie , but she also said the same about Popeye and that came out 3 years before my birth, so it's hard to know.

Definitely my favorite early memory of seeing a movie in the theater was Jurassic Park which I saw with my friends for my 10th birthday. Batman & Robin was the first time I came out of a movie theater knowing what I just saw was total garbage. I still had a lot of fun mocking the terrible ice puns.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Fantasia, and I was way, way too young to appreciate it.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I have a very vague memory of Jabba on the big screen but I could have just made that up.

We *tried* to go see The Dark Crystal but I LOST MY poo poo when the skeksis showed up so I didn't see the whole thing until it was out on video.

The first movie I remember seeing all the way through was a reissue of 101 Dalmatians.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I'm sure I went to other movies before this, but I distinctly remember seeing Ghostbusters 2 in the theater. Pretty sure I saw Batman and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in theaters that year too.

First R rated movie in the cinema was Robocop 2 at age 6. I was already a fan of the original, too. Yeah, my parents didn't give a poo poo what I saw.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zogo posted:

I was 3 and we saw Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird I don't remember many details except that the whole experience was really emotional for a benign kids movie.

I watched it a million times as a child. Not long ago, I pulled the soundtrack out of the old box of family records and have it with me. I haven't had the guts to listen to it again.

The movie theater where I saw this is long gone and no one has ever been able to remember the name of it. I have no memory of seeing this in the theater, but just know I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Star Wars for me. I was around four years old. My parents wanted to see a movie on their own so they sent the rest of us (my brother, six years older than me, and my sister) off to see something else, and that was where we went. Darth Vader scared me pantsless. Han Solo was the coolest guy ever.

Funny thing about the other movie - I always remembered it as Kramer v. Kramer, which is probably wrong; last year my brother said he thought it was The Deer Hunter and my dad doesn't remember. Presumably Meryl Streep was in it.

• Locked thread