Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do Japanese books exist?
yes
no
chihayafuru is the closest the japanese will ever get to true art
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I can't believe it!!! Did you know that the Japanese have written books? As in manga without pictures? Or light novels that don't suck? And that some are so famous that they won awards from some Swedish guys for good writing?

Either way, the good writers are Kenzaburo Oe, Ryunousuke Akutagawa, Junichiro Tanizaki, Ryo and Haruki Murakami, Yasunori Kawabata and of course everyone's favorite gay terrorist, Yukio Mishima.

Please talk about the good writers of Japanese descent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my japanese book reccomendations: the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

fate stay night

amagi brilliant park

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe is a pretty cool book that has a kid go into a fantasy world, but is actually about dealing with divorce and growing up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe is a pretty cool book that has a kid go into a fantasy world, but is actually about dealing with divorce and growing up.
eh, ill peep the anime instead

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Osamu Dazai was pretty good, even if his books are loving hard to get through.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

eh, ill peep the anime instead

Never seen it. Heard it has trippy animation and stuff. It got a psp rpg too, which follows a different kid with different problems I think

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

you ever read that japanese jesuit guy crow? seems like he'd be right up your alley

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
please read Silence by endo shusaku, thanks

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

you ever read that japanese jesuit guy crow? seems like he'd be right up your alley

fun fact: it was trendy in 20s Japanese literary circles to become Christian

Akutagawa was deeply influenced by Christianity, for instance

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Wark Say posted:

Osamu Dazai was pretty good, even if his books are loving hard to get through.

Have a copy of No Longer Human on my shelf I still have to finish.

The manga was real good, It's hard to go wrong with Furuya.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I should probably read some Banana Yoshimoto. I think I lost my copy of Kitchen and never got around to reading it.

Any other authors who don't write completely depressing works? Not that that's bad, but it's a bit tiring to read, and the few Japanese authors I have read tend to write with a very oppressive atmosphere. Silence sounds interesting though so I might look that up.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Allarion posted:

I should probably read some Banana Yoshimoto. I think I lost my copy of Kitchen and never got around to reading it.

Any other authors who don't write completely depressing works? Not that that's bad, but it's a bit tiring to read, and the few Japanese authors I have read tend to write with a very oppressive atmosphere. Silence sounds interesting though so I might look that up.

Read The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi by Junichiro Tanizaki, it is about a samurai who becomes really good at killing people because he has a severed head fetish

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sword art online

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I quite like Murakami. I read Norwegian Wood since its his most popular piece and found it very interesting. Then I read 1Q84 which was a little more surreal. I felt underwhelmed by the ending but on reflection I found that I was talking about it and thinking about it more than many other books I've read so in a way I think it actually had engaged me a lot more thani gave it credit.

The collection of Akutahawa's short stories by Penguin is great. If you like Rashomon by Kurosawa you would enjoy "In a Bamboo Grove" and "Rashomon" from the short stories as they form the basis for the script.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The fight inside Texas Colony in the Mobile Suit Gundam novels owns.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I can't loving believe you forgot Yoko Ogawa, Crow. You've made a powerful enemy today.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Effectronica posted:

I can't loving believe you forgot Yoko Ogawa, Crow. You've made a powerful enemy today.

So you're mad at me for forgetting ogawa but not for forgetting murasaki or basho

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

So you're mad at me for forgetting ogawa but not for forgetting murasaki or basho

The Heian and Tokugawa eras loving sucked for Japanese literature. Kamakura/Ashikaga for lyfe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I enjoy Murakami's books, but I've found that, at least in the ones I've read and from what I can recall, if an attractive woman is introduced she will likely end up having sex (probably with the main character).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
More people should read zuihitsu, and then read the set of parodies of them written under the Tokugawa.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Effectronica posted:

The Heian and Tokugawa eras loving sucked for Japanese literature. Kamakura/Ashikaga for lyfe.

Noh theater is one of my favorite theaters

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

This public domain translation of the Tsurezuregusa is off to a good start.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i like old timey cadence in writing, so that intro is cool to me

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

I enjoy Murakami's books, but I've found that, at least in the ones I've read and from what I can recall, if an attractive woman is introduced she will likely end up having sex (probably with the main character).

That's how it works in real life.

I'm currently reading Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, it's good.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

I can't believe it!!! Did you know that the Japanese have written books? As in manga without pictures? Or light novels that don't suck? And that some are so famous that they won awards from some Swedish guys for good writing?

Either way, the good writers are Kenzaburo Oe, Ryunousuke Akutagawa, Junichiro Tanizaki, Ryo and Haruki Murakami, Yasunori Kawabata and of course everyone's favorite gay terrorist, Yukio Mishima.

Please talk about the good writers of Japanese descent

i don't believe you OP

Stairmaster posted:

fate stay night

amagi brilliant park

now this guy here has the right idea

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
To OP: Please do not forget Kōbō Abe, thanks.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

:yikes:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cuc posted:

To OP: Please do not forget Kōbō Abe, thanks.

I really enjoyed The Ark Sakura.

You know it's gonna be a good book when one of the first things it talks about is a bug that spends all day slowly rotating to eat its own excrement.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How can there be a manga without pictures? Or an anime that is just words? What a paradox! I shall meditate on this concept.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Did temple of the golden pavillion invent the moe stutter?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk about that but i can tell you that nobuko yoshiya pretty much invented early shoujo/yuri

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I can't believe it!!! Did you know that the Japanese have written books? As in manga without pictures?

Japan has done a lot of questionable things

Also the battle royale book is good

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

The fight inside Texas Colony in the Mobile Suit Gundam novels owns.

Are the Gundam novels actually good reading, or are they mostly just for fans? I've been looking for decent military SF that isn't written by people with Heinlein-level war-boners so they sound like a good candidate.

Smoking Crow posted:

Read The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi by Junichiro Tanizaki, it is about a samurai who becomes really good at killing people because he has a severed head fetish

Also is this as crazy bonkers badass as it sounds

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can't do a bingo with after dark, unless im forgetting a lot

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Less posts about murakami than expected but itll probably kick in soon.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Are the Gundam novels actually good reading, or are they mostly just for fans? I've been looking for decent military SF that isn't written by people with Heinlein-level war-boners so they sound like a good candidate.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also try Chohei Kambayashi's Yukikaze novels.

• Locked thread